This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Pizza Port waste of space

Let me first say I really like the food at Red Rocket's Pizza Port. It was really needed is a sea of burger stands at Disneyland. But why would Disneyland close down an attraction to add a new restaurant when they already had an existing restaurant about a hundred yards away? The Space Place was a counter service restaurant that opened with the Space Mountain complex in 1977 (including the ride, starcade and space mountain stage). It was a burger joint, almost a rehash of the Tomorrowland Terrace menu. The order windows were in the back of where the entrance to the ride is now. The seating area was both upstairs and where the current seating is now for RRPP. It seems like a double waste on the part of Disney. They wasted a good attraction space, and they wasted money building a whole new kitchen when they already had a working one hundred yards away.

Re: Pizza Port waste of space

I'm not sure if it's a waste of space, I think that area's good for a restaurant, I just think it's a waste of space because, IMO, the food is disgusting. That and Village Haus are the two places my family doesn't go to

Comment

You seem to be forgetting a part of the equation. The entrance to Pizza Port is in a highly visible area, whereas the Space Place was back in a hole. Even if the Space Place had changed their menu to pizza/pasta, it probably wouldn't have the foot traffic Pizza Port has. And would you really want WDW's Stitch attraction, which is probably what we would have in the M2M theatre?

BTW, the Space Place kitchen is still perfectly intact behind the wall, and is a CM cafeteria.

Comment

I enjoy Pizza Port and go there occasionally, but yes, the space could be used for an attraction instead. But if that happened, I would want Pizza Port to move into the Starcade bulding. In fact I want them to do that anyway, because they don't have any two-story restaurants yet. Wait... is Hungry Bear two stories? Maybe it is. But anyway, it would be pretty cool to have a two story restaurant in Tomorrowland.

Comment

That location was originally the Rocket to the Moon attraction, then renamed Flight to the Moon, then re-themed as Mission to Mars, then closed in 1992. The Moonliner rocket that stands next to it now is a smaller version of the original TWA Moonliner that stood prominently in Tomorrowland from 1955 to 1967.

Comment

Aw man, really? I like Pizza Port :P

Comment

Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
              BTW, the Space Place kitchen is still perfectly intact behind the wall, and is a CM cafeteria.
              I was told the serving windows were still in tact and visible in the fastpass area but the part of it being a CM cafeteria is not true. At least it wasn't when I worked there in 2005-2006. I *think* I heard that the kitchen was gutted awhile ago. There is a CM cafeteria behind the Plaza Inn called the Inn-Between.

Comment

It's not really a waste of space when you consider that if it didn't exist, Stitch's Great Escape would be there. Now that's a waste of space.

Comment

Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
                  I enjoy Pizza Port and go there occasionally, but yes, the space could be used for an attraction instead. But if that happened, I would want Pizza Port to move into the Starcade bulding. In fact I want them to do that anyway, because they don't have any two-story restaurants yet. Wait... is Hungry Bear two stories? Maybe it is. But anyway, it would be pretty cool to have a two story restaurant in Tomorrowland.
                  I think the same thing.
                  Some have said it's a waste of a move.
                  Then again, I think the starcade WAS great, but now just a waste.
                  Quote by Al:
                  To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                  -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                    That location was originally the Rocket to the Moon attraction, then renamed Flight to the Moon, then re-themed as Mission to Mars, then closed in 1992. The Moonliner rocket that stands next to it now is a smaller version of the original TWA Moonliner that stood prominently in Tomorrowland from 1955 to 1967.
                    and was sad to see Mission to Mars close.

I remember sitting in a rocket and watching as we took off into space.
                    I think the idea would still be good for Tomorrowland, Disney could just do a better job with the technical side of it.
                    After all (beside rich people and well trained astronauts) who has been to the moon?
                    Quote by Al:
                    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                    -Al Lutz

Comment

The Moon/Mars attractions were pretty fun... you sat in a round theater with screens above and below you, in the center, the one above showing where you were going and the one below showing where you were leaving from. It was actual film from a rocket, showing you leave the ground and then the earth receding away from you. The whole theater vibrated to simulate the roughness of a takeoff and the seats you were sitting on inflated to simulate what you might feel on acceleration. They deflated later in the show. There were actually 2 theaters and you went into one or the other. And before you even went into the theater, you passed by a very impressive Mission Control room with audio-animatronic workers, one of which talked, and screens showing all kinds of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        The Moon/Mars attractions were pretty fun... you sat in a round theater with screens above and below you, in the center, the one above showing where you were going and the one below showing where you were leaving from. It was actual film from a rocket, showing you leave the ground and then the earth receding away from you. The whole theater vibrated to simulate the roughness of a takeoff and the seats you were sitting on inflated to simulate what you might feel on acceleration. They deflated later in the show. There were actually 2 theaters and you went into one or the other. And before you even went into the theater, you passed by a very impressive Mission Control room with audio-animatronic workers, one of which talked, and screens showing all kinds of things.
                        Yes, I remember the mission control too

I still think they could bring it back.
                        So much has advanced that I think they could make a really good ride out of it and it could actually be something that is not tied to a movie.
                        And get ready for this, something that is actually fits the theme of the land.
                        Quote by Al:
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

I guess the Space Place was not in a good space, back behind Space Mountain, not in a space in front. But I always remember it being crowded. I remember Donald Duck's 50th (?) birthday party was held there. You got free cake and a hat with a burger meal. Wow, all that whiskey and I can kinda remember that.....

Comment

With all the complaints about SGE taking that space if it had never been converted into a restaurant, does that mean that we most likely would have had AE for a short while as well? I think with a more rabid fan community out here on the west coast, there might've actually been a chance of us enjoying that ride today

Comment

Space Place is where ODV blows up the ballons! I remember asking what that kitchen was for when blowing up the clear, mylar/Mickey balloons!
                              Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
                              - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
                              - me too!

Comment

Pizza Port is an absolute waste of space. There is far too much seating. On a slightly different topic, when the escalator was removed from the front of Space Mountain (whenever that was), it made it so that you had to majorly detour to even get in line, around and over Pizza Port's massive space. Also, if Pizza Port were going to stay, the least they could do is make it look EXACTLY like Pizza Planet from Toy Story. Talk about theme!

Facebook me!
                                Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

I'm not sure why Pizza port is any more of a waste of space than Hungry Bear or Tomorrowland terrace. Look at most of the attractions in Tomorrowland; you really think they would adaquately utililize that small area?

Comment

Yeah, I don't mind pizza port too much. Sure they took out an attraction, but I think the place looks fine, and it's nice to have another air conditioned option for food at the park. And as others have said, if you want more room for an attraction, they could always gut HISTA, or the Starcade, both have ample space for something new.

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                      Pizza Port is an absolute waste of space. There is far too much seating. On a slightly different topic, when the escalator was removed from the front of Space Mountain (whenever that was), it made it so that you had to majorly detour to even get in line, around and over Pizza Port's massive space. Also, if Pizza Port were going to stay, the least they could do is make it look EXACTLY like Pizza Planet from Toy Story. Talk about theme!
                                      I agree! I used to get these confused, and when I went in and realized it was nothing like Pizza Planet, I was really disappointed. I think it's misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                                        aw man, really? I like pizza port
                                        word.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X