This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] My New Tommorowland

*The Contents of this thread may be out of date as the updated version is now found here - Feel free to comment either here or there, but read there for the latest ideas! *

Overview
    I would retrofit Tommorowland and make it a thematically cohesive city of the future, I would add in place marks that you might find in such a place in order to make it feel like a real outpost. Although the buildings would all be sleek shiny silver with dark blue and red accents (more blue, less red), greenery would be incorporated to avoid the all cement car park feel.

Entrance
    The entrance to Tommorowland would be modified in order to block direct sightliness down the main corridor of Tommorowland from the plaza. This would be similar to how views are obstructed into Adventureland and Frontierland. Notably, the astro-orbiter would disappear. Forever...

Stars denote posts that are my really original ideas, and the ones I am most proud of/focused on.

The Main Corridor
    *Down the corridor between Star Tours and BLAB, the look would be modified quite substantially. Most notably, the pathways for the old people mover would be changed completely. Instead of traveling straight down the middle of the corridor, it would cross it a few times appearing to actually provide some sort of transportation between different locations throughout the settlement.

Star Tours
    Star tours would be modified to look like a space port and blast and/or bay doors that could open occasionally with smoke/mist effects would replace the current mural. Signs at the queue would advertise the locations that the terminal flew too just as a modern airport does. It would be crucial to theme this much like today's airports as opposed to a spaceport (which is what space mountain would serve as).

Former BLAB Structure
    *On the other side, BLAB would go back to the future and I would put in a circle-vision type movie that instead projects stars on the roof like a planetarium. On the outside, this building would be a large dome on a round building flanked by East and West wings and made to look like a scientific research station. The building would be labeled as a laboratory and the wings could be filled with innoventions style exhibits. I was also contemplating the possibility of actually adding a real telescope to the building actually offer views of planets and space objects. This pavilion as a whole would bring back the awe, inspiration and education that once filled Tommorowland.

Centerpiece
    *In the old Rocket Rods spot where the observatron(?) currently sits, I suggest the radical idea of installing a modified Hrubrtz Hurricane or Dartron Downdraft Ride replacing the "spinner attraction" such as the Astro Orbiter which can already be found in Fantasyland. The Downdraft in particular loads much faster, provides much more of a thrill, and is simply one of my favorite rides. They would have to move the air compressors though to alleviate the loud sound associated with the carnival version of the ride, and it would need to be modified in order to fit the environment of the new Tommorowland.

Star Traders/Marble
    To the right space mountain would remain of course, but the starcade and star traders would be redone to make the area seem more like a futuristic shopping/trading outpost. You know, the place you would go to replace your warpdrive thrusters if your starship overheated, or possibly to buy those spinny glowy characters on a stick. Whateves..

The marble would stay as it now is with its new greenery serving as a little oasis in the otherwise futuristic and metal city. Other greenery (exotic or extraterrestrial in appearance) would also be spread throughout the settlement though.

Space Mt.
    It has always seemed awkward to me how Space Mt.'s queue goes in past HISTA then up and around and down... Instead I would install twin speed-ramps approaching the upper landing of the Space Mt. queue on an angle to create a V which would funnel toward the entrance of The Magic Eye Theater on the bottom.

*If one ascended the speed ramps (one FP, one standby) you would be lead up to what currently is the open "deck." This area however would be closed in by blue tinted glass and air conditioned. Stand by guests would wait in this area with a similar view of Tommorowland while the Fastpassers would make a similar cut to what they currently make. At the merge/main building entry point, it would be rethemed as though you were entering a space station. The queue would be themed as pressurization chambers and a tunnel would convey the story of getting ready for your spaceflight. In the loading area much would be the same but the roof would appear to be glass with a starry sky outside.

On the ride, just before the first right turn into the tunnel with the rotating red projections, you would appear to pass blast doors preparing to launch. If it weren't for that turn and the last lift hill which happen while inside the main show building after the effects tunnel, I would add a launch (10-15MPH) or so to make a more realistic launch feeling, but that ain't gonna happen. Maybe you could get away with banking that first corner and having a little launch at the top of the effects tunnel just for kicks?

Magic Eye
    In the magic eye below, the entrance would be centered below the new/old space queue and that indoor/outdoor area which houses the run up to the current Space Mt. queue would be closed in. The theater would stay much the same as it is now, and I am not going to start the argument as to what should play in the theater.

Ex-Innoventions
    *Inoventions best displays would be moved to the old BLAB building for its makeover, so here I would add a ride similar to Spaceship Earth but instead the topic would be transportation. All of the ways that people have moved around and will move in the future could be discussed culminating in teleportation for the last scene. The dioramas that the trains pass would be located to between the rivers of America and the Toontown station, so the train can have glimpses into Space Mt. and This new attraction.

Interplanetary Travel Center
    The monorail station and sub queue would be converted into one building made to look like a transportation center. Nemo would be stripped from the subs and instead it would go back to some sort of exploring/scientific trip where everything goes badly. Of course above the monorail would continue its service to DD. With some major retooling, a walkway could be made from here to the train station through the roads of Autopia, but that would be a bit complex.

Autopia
    Unless they can devise some sort of hovering car system for Autopia, I am satisfied with the cars becoming electric (because the go carts in my hometown are now electric so I know Disney can handle it).

*However, say they did invent that hovering system, I was considering the possibility of reworking the Autopia tracks to run through where the old people mover tracks went. What would be cooler then driving a futuristic electric or otherwise car through the city of tomorrow on elevated platforms? Forget the highway, take the elevated route. That was just my thought, and I liked it. Plus with all the old track way, you could put in a show building for a new ride of some sort. Don't tell me that the new building would be to heavy for the sub building below because they can find a way to make a two story building no problem.

With some updating, landscaping and otherwise, I'd say that that pretty much sums up the ideas I have for Tommorowland.
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-20-2010, 04:26 AM.

Re: My New Tommorowland

nice Idea
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Originally posted by Karalora
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

^Agreed
      https://twitter.com/ajcurry_

Comment

I agree that Tomorrowland needs a cohesive theme, and a colony on a distant planet seems like the best bet for keeping most of the existing attractions and providing a variety of experiences. In addition to upgrading the Autopia cars to electric, the landscape could be redone to suggest an alien environment, with more rock formations like the ones currently at the entrance, weird plants, and maybe signs of an alien civilization. If Disney management could be convinced to loosen their death grip on Pixar merchandising, the subs could also be reworked with a theme of exploring the strange liquid methane oceans of this planet, and discovering the creatures that live there.
        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

While very interesting, I doubt that Tommorowland will switch from its "educational" (now being lost) feeling to a Sci-Fi one.

Comment

Such a strange notion, that science-fiction is not educational...

What better way for people to get insights into Terran biology and geology than to see how life and landforms might develop under very different conditions?
            Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
              While very interesting, I doubt that Tommorowland will switch from its "educational" (now being lost) feeling to a Sci-Fi one.
              It almost did with Tomorrowland 2055.

Comment

Lots of good ideas here - I like the ideas of transforming Tomorrowland into a "city of the future," as well as the twin speedramps and the improved Space Mountain queue. I question TDA's willingness to get ride of Buzz and the corresponding gift shop, though - but don't let that pervade your idea!

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                And they attempted to with Tomorrowland 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

What better way for people to get insights into Terran biology and geology than to see how life and landforms might develop under very different conditions?
                  Haha, and maybe it is, but not in the case of where Disney's tommorowland is seemingly headed, or where my idea takes it.

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                  I will state I'm not to big on scifi, but that aside I just can't see it in Tommorowland. Would have been interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

Focusing on hypothetical planet-colonizing scenarios, to me, is more Fantasyland than Tomorrowland. Barely any real advancements have been made in the front of space exploration since the '67 Tomorrowland. Sadly, Rocket To The Moon and Mission To Mars are still futuristic attractions.

Tomorrowland shouldn't get completely ahead of itself...there's still plenty more advancement to dream about for our own planet and immediate solar system.

Comment

I will state I'm not to big on scifi, but that aside I just can't see it in Tommorowland. Would have been interesting.
                      Actually, the 1994 renovation of WDW's Tomorrowland did an almost-really good renovation of Tomorrowland, that turned the land into a 1930's, art deco retro future. I say almost because it didn't reach quite as far as all the attractions, but visually, the land is very well-done.

Then there's also Tokyo's never-realized "Sci-Fi City" concept for a renovation of their Tomorrowland. It's true it never happened, but it sure looked promising!

Comment

PERSONAL RAPID TRANSIT: Using the old Peoplmover tracks plus some extention track as well. These pods would queue in the same place that the old PM queued but also would have a stop at Small World Plaza and another accross Harbor at a new parking Garage. Passengers will be verbally asked by onboard computers where they wish to disembark, if the cabin is too hot or too cold and adjust the temp based on the guests reply, what kind of music they prefer etc. The computer will be quite intuitive and will be able to answer many questions that the passengers might have like "What time does the parade start?", "are Priority Seatings still available for the Blue Bayou?(and even make the ressies for the guests if avail.) or even "How tall is the Matterhorn?"
                        Cities21

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIOA6ExOq6c&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Microsoft Campus PRT[/ame]

THE SCROLL: Kicking out innoventions for a return to an AA theater show. This production will follow mans struggle will communication to his eventual mastering of it.

ROCKET JETS: Returned to their higher, more prominent position. Support arms will be covered with optical camoulflage in order to make the jets appear to be flying independent.

SKYWAY: Now with two destinations out of Tomorrowland; orignal trip to the Chalet in Fantasyland and another, longer trip to DCAs Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The cabins will be semi-enclosed to discourage pranksters and worse.
                        skytrail

PROJECT ORION: Taking up the area occupied by HISTA, Star Tours, and much of the Starcade this attraction will take guests aboard a Nuclear Powered Starship. Guests begin their journey boarding a spaceplane in order to reach high Earth Orbit. The spaceplane takes off, soars towards Orion, circles the starship and finally docks. Once aboard the starship guests are met by robotic vehicles which will take them on a tour; including visits to the engineering room, crew quarters, galley, science modules and finally the bridge. On the bridge we are in for a rare treat...the Captain is about to test fire the nuclear pusher plate for the first time.....but, naturally something goes wrong and there is no time to get back to the spaceplane....we all must evac via escape pods. Not to worry, a nearby space-station/gift shop will pick us up and return us to Earth.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29

AUTOPIA 2055: Gas powered cars are replaced with electric/solar powered vehicles. Heads up displays show the cars occupants, traffic conditions, weather, last nights scores, and even what the line is like at their favorite drive-thru. Small amount of electricity will be created via solar panels on the cars themselves...the rest will flow from solar panels along the highway which will feed charging stations.

SPACE GALLEY X-1: Replacing Red Rockets will be a nice full service restaurant with scores of futuristic looking booths...each one with a view of Earth below! The menu items will also be out of this world and if not futuristic at least on the cutting edge of the world of edibles.

SUBMARINE VOYAGE TO SEABASE ALPHA: Take a journey to the ocean floor and the Marine Biology/Ocean Science base located on the edge of the continental shelf. Journey will end abruptly when something suddenly goes wrong.

FLYING SAUCERS: Located on the roof of Buzz Light-year, bump and bounce around and around.
                        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

^P.R.T. could work very well as an all transport system for DLR.

Timekeeper
                          sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                          Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                            PERSONAL RAPID TRANSIT: Using the old Peoplmover tracks plus some extention track as well. These pods would queue in the same place that the old PM queued but also would have a stop at Small World Plaza and another accross Harbor at a new parking Garage. Passengers will be verbally asked by onboard computers where they wish to disembark, if the cabin is too hot or too cold and adjust the temp based on the guests reply, what kind of music they prefer etc. The computer will be quite intuitive and will be able to answer many questions that the passengers might have like "What time does the parade start?", "are Priority Seatings still available for the Blue Bayou?(and even make the ressies for the guests if avail.) or even "How tall is the Matterhorn?"
                            Cities21

YouTube - Microsoft Campus PRT

THE SCROLL: Kicking out innoventions for a return to an AA theater show. This production will follow mans struggle will communication to his eventual mastering of it.

ROCKET JETS: Returned to their higher, more prominent position. Support arms will be covered with optical camoulflage in order to make the jets appear to be flying independent.

SKYWAY: Now with two destinations out of Tomorrowland; orignal trip to the Chalet in Fantasyland and another, longer trip to DCAs Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The cabins will be semi-enclosed to discourage pranksters and worse.
                            skytrail

PROJECT ORION: Taking up the area occupied by HISTA, Star Tours, and much of the Starcade this attraction will take guests aboard a Nuclear Powered Starship. Guests begin their journey boarding a spaceplane in order to reach high Earth Orbit. The spaceplane takes off, soars towards Orion, circles the starship and finally docks. Once aboard the starship guests are met by robotic vehicles which will take them on a tour; including visits to the engineering room, crew quarters, galley, science modules and finally the bridge. On the bridge we are in for a rare treat...the Captain is about to test fire the nuclear pusher plate for the first time.....but, naturally something goes wrong and there is no time to get back to the spaceplane....we all must evac via escape pods. Not to worry, a nearby space-station/gift shop will pick us up and return us to Earth.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29

AUTOPIA 2055: Gas powered cars are replaced with electric/solar powered vehicles. Heads up displays show the cars occupants, traffic conditions, weather, last nights scores, and even what the line is like at their favorite drive-thru. Small amount of electricity will be created via solar panels on the cars themselves...the rest will flow from solar panels along the highway which will feed charging stations.

SPACE GALLEY X-1: Replacing Red Rockets will be a nice full service restaurant with scores of futuristic looking booths...each one with a view of Earth below! The menu items will also be out of this world and if not futuristic at least on the cutting edge of the world of edibles.

SUBMARINE VOYAGE TO SEABASE ALPHA: Take a journey to the ocean floor and the Marine Biology/Ocean Science base located on the edge of the continental shelf. Journey will end abruptly when something suddenly goes wrong.

FLYING SAUCERS: Located on the roof of Buzz Light-year, bump and bounce around and around.
                            Guess that makes this thread more of a "what are some ideas for a tommorowland referb.

In any case, some of those ideas are good, and similer to mine, but the flying saucers, skyway, red rockets and "orion" arent my idea of where tommorowland should go. How would you fit these in with the theme of the land? I also think that the subs should be redesigned as a sub ride to a sea base in an acidic extraterestrial lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Timekeeper View Post
                              ^P.R.T. could work very well as an all transport system for DLR.

Timekeeper
                              I questin wheather prt could carry the volume needed for the DLR. Many guests have large families and splitting them up during transport where the cars can end in diffrent places could cause issues.

Comment

Autopia uses huge gobs of real estate to deliver a vision of the future right as we were getting Interstate highways. Making the cars electric is lipstick on a pig, it's still just a simulation of daily life in LA.

Imagine what could be placed on that chunk of land instead - plenty of room for 2 large new E-tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by skimouse View Post
                                  Autopia uses huge gobs of real estate to deliver a vision of the future right as we were getting Interstate highways. Making the cars electric is lipstick on a pig, it's still just a simulation of daily life in LA.

Imagine what could be placed on that chunk of land instead - plenty of room for 2 large new E-tickets.
                                  Disney cant just have Etickets. Autopia remains popular and if it were removed there would be calls to bring it back... Its not lipstick on a pig if you replace the entire ride system, thats changing the pig completely.

Comment

Originally posted by skimouse View Post

Actually, there isn't really room for E-tickets. :blush:

Problem A: The Monorail track goes all over the place. Either the track would have to be rerouted (very expensive) or the monorail would have to become part of the attraction!
                                    Problem 2: The subs' showbuilding is just underneath the Autopia tracks. The Autopia can get away with being on top because the tracks and cars are relatively lightweight. Most E-tickets aren't.

Comment

I question the truth behind the notion of weight over the subs. I have a feeling there is a significant amount of weight over the ground floor of a skyscraper but it is perfectly feasible. It just depends where the weight is supported. (Assuming they were going to do it, they could do it when they strip nemo from the subs)
                                      Last edited by Trevor; 10-29-2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I question whether P.R.T. could carry the volume needed for the DLR. Many guests have large families and splitting them up during transport where the cars can end in diffrent places could cause issues.
                                        (I fixed some of your spelling in your quote)
                                        Hmmmm, yeah that might pose a problem with big families(but there are some other things with P.R.T., which, I will post in a new thread.)

Timekeeper.
                                        sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                                        Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X