This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Haunted Mansion Story

Can anyone tell me what the story line to the mansion is? Thanks.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Re: Haunted Mansion Story

It's whatever you make it to be! That's the wonder of having an attraction without an overly explicit storyline. It allows the imagination to do some work.

However, I think it's pretty safe to say that we're touring a mansion where ghosts from all over the world have "retired." At first, they're having trouble manifesting for our eyes, but then Madame Leota holds a seance, and they start materializing in the ballroom, attic, and graveyard. Then we realize that death is just one big party.

The one bit of truly solid backstory in the attraction revolves around the attic bride who was added a few years ago, Constance. Others can explain it better than me, but as I recall, she kept marrying new husbands for their money and killing them off, and there's a rather large number of details that have been set in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
      It's whatever you make it to be! That's the wonder of having an attraction without an overly explicit storyline. It allows the imagination to do some work.

However, I think it's pretty safe to say that we're touring a mansion where ghosts from all over the world have "retired." At first, they're having trouble manifesting for our eyes, but then Madame Leota holds a seance, and they start materializing in the ballroom, attic, and graveyard. Then we realize that death is just one big party.

The one bit of truly solid backstory in the attraction revolves around the attic bride who was added a few years ago, Constance. Others can explain it better than me, but as I recall, she kept marrying new husbands for their money and killing them off, and there's a rather large number of details that have been set in stone.
      Thanks, Data! Anything about Master Gracey, though? Is he the Ghost Host?

Comment

No Master Gracey is not the ghost host. At least not in my opinion
        I am Scary Scott,
        Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
        I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
        Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
        Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
        Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
        Originally posted by Karalora
        This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
        Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
        Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

Master Gracey is not the Ghost Host. I'm not the best person to ask if you want all the specific pieces of evidence, but I've seen, heard, and read enough to be 100% convinced. HBG2 is a good one to ask about that.

Comment

i've read a VERY in-depth and elaborate story regarding the Phantom Manor, but i haven't seen/read/stumbled upon much about the Haunted Mansion..
            -plagued

Comment

Originally posted by MatterhornJ View Post
              Thanks, Data! Anything about Master Gracey, though? Is he the Ghost Host?
              Master Gracey is not the Ghost Host. I'm not the best person to ask if you want all the specific pieces of evidence, but I've seen, heard, and read enough to be 100% convinced. HBG2 is a good one to ask about that.
              The most recent evidence was a sign placed on the construction walls during the refurbishment of The Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom. The sign was a letter and originally from Master Gracey "Your Ghost Host" but was quickly altered to remove the Master Gracey-Ghost Host connection.

Comment

So is the ghost host getting hanged in the beginning or is it Master Gracey?

Comment

That's the Ghost Host. The only evidence of Master Gracey that's ever been in the DL mansion is his tombstone.

Comment

LOL so nothing in the mansion is about Master Gracey?

Comment

Pretty much! Well, the Walt Disney World version has a portrait of him up on the wall in the foyer; it slowly changes to a skeletal version and back to normal again, if I remember correctly. But there isn't much in the attraction that relates to him at all.

Comment

Haha! Thanks for letting me know. Now we know that the ghosts in the haunted mansion like to boogie woogie if the bride doesn't get them first!

Comment

Pretty much! Well, the Walt Disney World version has a portrait of him up on the wall in the foyer; it slowly changes to a skeletal version and back to normal again, if I remember correctly. But there isn't much in the attraction that relates to him at all.
                          I am pretty sure nothing ever explicitly made that connection, but it has just sort of been adopted after-the-fact.

Comment

Really? I was under the impression that it had a plaque or something on it. I've never seen it in person...I'm really not sure.

Comment

According to a book on the HM by Jason Surrell, the story goes as such:

Act 1: Beginning ominously and slow, guests await their inevitable encounter the haunts as they experience strange poltergeist-like happenings and unseen spirits.

Madame Leota is the segway between acts 1 and 2.

Act 2: The ghosts have been provoked to materialize as is evident in the ballroom and in the attic.

The 'fall' from the attic window symbolizes your entrance to act 3.

Act 3: (the climax) You are completely surrounded by ghosts and they are enjoying life...er...you know.

The very end lets you off softly with the friendly hitchhiking ghosts, so the story 'leaves' with you. How's that for closure?!
                              For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                              http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

In the original Haunted Mansion record, Mike and Karen are walking on a date on a stormy night and take refuge on the porch of an abandoned house. (Mike is voiced by Ron Howard, aka Opie on the Andy Griffith show and now a Hollywood director). They go inside and the Ghost Host introduces himself and takes them through a tour, describing the things you see in the Haunted Mansion attraction and mentioning a few things that I think never made it into the actual attraction. Little by little the ghosts materialize and it ends up as a party in the graveyard, and ghosts hitchhike at the end, etc. Master Gracey was the owner of the mansion, but is not the ghost host. (One of the Imagineers who helped design the HM had the name Yale Gracey.) The movie with Eddie Murphy is a different story entirely. If you want the "real story" listen to "The Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion," the original full-length LP album, which unfortunately is out of print. Disney also released shorter versions for children. You can hear bits and pieces of the original at this page:

DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

And on this page is a complete transcript of the original LP record:

http://www.doombuggies.com/media_aud...transcript.php
                                Last edited by Bob Weaver; 10-25-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I thought I thought, that the bride from the attic married a whole bunch of times with other guys to increase her fortune and killed them all so keep the money. And because they got married, guests were the ghosts that danced in the ballrooms and everything and Leota was just doing crazy paranormal stuff. But that's what it is to me atleast (:

This ride takes a lot of imagination for a specific story i think.
                                  Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

Comment

Originally posted by scotchtape View Post
                                    I thought I thought, that the bride from the attic married a whole bunch of times with other guys to increase her fortune and killed them all so keep the money. And because they got married, guests were the ghosts that danced in the ballrooms and everything and Leota was just doing crazy paranormal stuff. But that's what it is to me atleast (:

This ride takes a lot of imagination for a specific story i think.
                                    The bride has become more of a concrete bit of the story in recent years. You are correct about her (Constance) current story line. IIRC, she just used to be a headless bride with a beating heart...all those photos of guys missing their heads have been added in the last decade (forgive my broad time-line...I was trying to avoid inaccuracy). Her AA has also been modified since.

There was an elaborate story line about a pirate captain/fisherman/sailor type fellow who fell in love with an heiress and was hung (voluntarily?) because he could not have her. I believe that character kinda evolved into the "Ghost Host"...who was also, originally supposed to be the Ravens you see everywhere.

I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad they simplified the raven idea.
                                    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                                    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

Mansions got 999 ghost stories...lol. Seriously the one story I know of HM links Pirates to it. Master Gracey was a retired pirate living on the bayou. That was his alive story, then something happened where he commited suicide. Sorry I was only half paying attention... I learned that from someone higher up. Isnt the ghost host the one in the elevator the one talking to you "There's always my way" *lightening* *looks up....ah there he is* I figure it was Gracey since he is the owner and that way he passed on.
                                      "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." :ghug:

The Beatles

Comment

I prefer to ride and not think of any story just enjoy it.
                                        As far as story goes when riding all you need is this,
                                        Where going to bring ghosts from all over the world and we are making it very nice for them so that they will stay at Disneyland. And we promise them Creaky doors and Creaky floors. Walt Disney on the Haunted Mansion
                                        also this from an advertisement,
                                        We are seeking ghosts for active retirement at THE HAUNTED MANSION.
                                        To continue your traits and tricks daily for guests at your amusement.
                                        NOW AT 999 ALMOST FULL!!!
                                        I am Scary Scott,
                                        Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                                        I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                                        Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                                        Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                                        Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                                        Originally posted by Karalora
                                        This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                                        Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                                        Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X