Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Monsters fit in?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] How does Monsters fit in?

    Monsters Inc doesn't fit into Hollywoodland (lets get the name going) that well. But typically the Imagineers have an explanation. What is it for MIMASTTR? Is there something obvious I'm missing?
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

    SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

    Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

  • #2
    Re: How does Monsters fit in?

    It fit into an empty space that needed an attraction. Haha

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How does Monsters fit in?

      Originally posted by Awesome View Post
      It fit into an empty space that needed an attraction. Haha
      Ha ha! So true!
      "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

      SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

      Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
      YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
      (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How does Monsters fit in?

        Hahahahah. MIMASTTER... it's a funny acronym.

        MI MASTTER.. My master... hahaha.

        *is shot*

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How does Monsters fit in?

          I don't know. When I personally went into the park on my last DL trip and saw the attraction, rode it and ventured back out into the parks. well I didn't let this type of thing bother me. In face I never would have asked why this is in the place it is. I'm just happy it was built, operating when I visited the parks and turned out to be a great dark ride.

          I guess to answer your question. Some exec in a suit basically said at a meeting, "it's a movie, it fits". I figured that's how it makes sense. ;o)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How does Monsters fit in?

            Why doesn't it fit? I think that's the real question here.

            Personally, I'm not complaining. I think it's an adorable attraction.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How does Monsters fit in?

              It doesn't fit in, but, I love Monsters Inc, so, I'll let it slide!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                i seriously think they should just have like pixarland or something
                cause they put all the pixar stuff into CA so why not?

                i don't know where they would put it though
                maybe in the bugs life thingy, since that's pixar
                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                Originally posted by penguinsoda

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                  well it does look out of place but when you are exiting the ride you can see that all of the doors seen from the outside say movie set props. so there is a little bit of a tie in.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                    It might not make sense, but I think it's sort of indescribable. There's no real reason why it fits...it just does.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                      Originally posted by FaithTrustNDust View Post
                      Why doesn't it fit? I think that's the real question here.
                      Monstropolis ≠ Hollywood, California. That simple.

                      Now, if this were a land that were themed as a magical portal into all the different Pixar movies, it'd fit just fine. Or if it were a Monstropolis-themed land filled with Monsters, Inc. rides, that'd be fine, too. But the current setup just takes you from one world to a completely unrelated one with no attempt at a logical transition.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                        Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                        Monstropolis ≠ Hollywood, California. That simple.

                        Now, if this were a land that were themed as a magical portal into all the different Pixar movies, it'd fit just fine. Or if it were a Monstropolis-themed land filled with Monsters, Inc. rides, that'd be fine, too. But the current setup just takes you from one world to a completely unrelated one with no attempt at a logical transition.
                        well that's what i was saying, they need to have PIXARLAND!
                        then it would all make sense...

                        off topic:
                        did you know that anyone's birthday can be presented on a clock?
                        like my birthday's 11-27, that can soooo be a time on a clock.

                        i'm not drunk or high, i'm just being...random.
                        Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                        You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                        Originally posted by penguinsoda

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                          Monster's Inc. is a decent enough dark ride, but there is virtually no attempt to tie it thematically to the land it's in.

                          Is it supposed to be a movie set? First of all, it's an animated film that was done in Northern CA, not Hollywood, but even putting that aside...why do we enter through a set of the opening credits? I mean, can you imagine if the entrance to Star Tours was a giant plywood cutout depicting the opening crawl from Star Wars?

                          Then we're apparently monsters in a transportation hub...that didn't appear in the movie, boarding taxis that also didn't appear in the movie.

                          Worst of all, it's the first major thing we see as we enter the supposed "backlot". Whatever is there ought to help establish that theme.

                          The only connection there is now between HPB and Monster's Inc. is that both take place in metropolitan areas in the present (albeit in different versions of reality). Once HPB becomes 1930's Hollywoodland, will even that one connection be severed?

                          I've thought of a few possible connections - like entering through a classic monster movie set, or through a Hollywood tabloid that investigates the bizarre and has you go undercover as a monster in Monstropolis. (Of course, this still wouldn't fit with the present-day setting of the film.) I don't think the passing through the magic doorway should happen until you're on the ride, like with going down the rabbit hole on Alice, or out the window on Peter Pan. It should be firmly established that you're humans, and that's why you have to worry about CDA catching you, which would make the ride more about you, and more exciting (okay, so not all of the riders are children, but some are, and the rest are children at heart ).
                          Last edited by animagusurreal; 10-26-2009, 04:16 AM.
                          "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

                          Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                          Disney sequel):
                          Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                          Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

                          Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                          Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                          Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                          Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu


                          Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com



                          Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                            The only way I can rationalize it is that the exterior is just a wooden, painted backdrop being used for some sort of movie.

                            At any rate, I'd rather have something enjoyable and slightly out of theme than something totally in-theme and painful to ride.

                            ...it's kind of sad when you have to compare something to Superstar Limo to justify it, though...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                              Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
                              Is it supposed to be a movie set? First of all, it's an animated film that was done in Northern CA, not Hollywood, but even putting that aside...why do we enter through a set of the opening credits? I mean, can you imagine if the entrance to Star Tours was a giant plywood cutout depicting the opening crawl from Star Wars?
                              Agreed. One way I could see approaching a retheme is to remove the door facade and theme the showbuilding with dimensional facades that make it look like an "on location" filming for Monsters Inc. It's a sort of fudged logic, but I think it can work.

                              Another possible approach would be to transform the queue into a a sort of whimsical prop warehouse. This would feature pieces that reference a plethora of Disney films, animated and live action. And it wouldn't be just ordinary props, but things that are slightly alive or magical. You couls have a bunch of simple be cool gags. Then, either on the ride, or as you enter the interior queue, you find the magic door that some stage hand carelessly left "on". You enter through it and find yourself in Monstropolis. Then at the end of the ride, just have another door, and the theme problem is essentially solved.

                              The only problems I see with this are that it's a bit involved for such a simple attraction, and I also don't believe the exterior queue fills up enough for people the really appreciate the whole prop storage concept.
                              Formerly kaliwolf.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                                Originally posted by kaliwolf View Post
                                Agreed. One way I could see approaching a retheme is to remove the door facade and theme the showbuilding with dimensional facades that make it look like an "on location" filming for Monsters Inc. It's a sort of fudged logic, but I think it can work.

                                Another possible approach would be to transform the queue into a a sort of whimsical prop warehouse. This would feature pieces that reference a plethora of Disney films, animated and live action. And it wouldn't be just ordinary props, but things that are slightly alive or magical. You couls have a bunch of simple be cool gags. Then, either on the ride, or as you enter the interior queue, you find the magic door that some stage hand carelessly left "on". You enter through it and find yourself in Monstropolis. Then at the end of the ride, just have another door, and the theme problem is essentially solved.

                                The only problems I see with this are that it's a bit involved for such a simple attraction, and I also don't believe the exterior queue fills up enough for people the really appreciate the whole prop storage concept.
                                This idea and my idea I posted for MI:MASTTR some time ago could work. If they(TDA) do some thing for it.

                                Timekeeper
                                sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                                Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                                  Its tied in the same way Star Tours is tied into Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando. It was a movie and therefore we can pretend its part of some movie set that we've wandered onto.

                                  It's weak, but thats pretty much all they got going in terms of an argument.

                                  The only real tie I saw that put it with the backlot theme is on the back of the facade you can see "PROPERTY OF HOLLYWOOD PICTURES BACKLOT SCENIC DEPT." or some jazz like that.

                                  Really thats about it. I do hope the facade is done away with when hollywood turns to hollywoodland. Keep the ride the same, Im fine with that, lets just give it a thematically appropriate facade.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                                    The reality of it is that TDA probably pressured Imagineering to present an attraction as a replacement for superstar lame-o. I'm actually surprised that monsters turned out as good as it did considering the chaotic timeline constraints to get the whole project done.

                                    Not to side-track the thread but has anyone noticed that every attraction in DCA that either was themed around an ABC network show or had some ABC elements to it (like SSL) is no longer in the park and had an extremely low shelf life? I just thought that was interesting.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                                      Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
                                      The reality of it is that TDA probably pressured Imagineering to present an attraction as a replacement for superstar lame-o. I'm actually surprised that monsters turned out as good as it did considering the chaotic timeline constraints to get the whole project done.

                                      Not to side-track the thread but has anyone noticed that every attraction in DCA that either was themed around an ABC network show or had some ABC elements to it (like SSL) is no longer in the park and had an extremely low shelf life? I just thought that was interesting.
                                      Yeah, for DCA's early years, they had a dining location themed to ABC's Soaps sets(and tours of those soaps sets).

                                      Timekeeper
                                      sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                                      Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: How does Monsters fit in?

                                        Q. How does Monsters fit in?


                                        A. It doesn't.


                                        Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

                                        Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X