Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Who/What determines Indy's roughness?

Went to the park this past weekend, rode Indy 5 times, all great.

My first ride however was alot smoother/less rough than the other four. I prefer the rougher versions, it feels alot realer than a smoother/less. It got me wondering...

Who, or what determines Indy's roughness? Is it just random? Is some CM choosing how much?

Thanks in advance! This has been on my mind!

Re: Who/What determines Indy's roughness?

Computer randomization, I thought. Or there are at least many different programs.

Comment

It also depends on where you sit. Front row middle is the smoothest while the edge seats in the back are the roughest.
      "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

Each of the cars has a computer that is fed a random program at the start of each ride. In addition there are 125 computers in the ride that are randomly fed programs as well. In addition there is the control room right above and to the left of the load area. If they see handicapped guests being loaded they can over-ride the programs and make a smoother ride for these guests.

In addition under the left front fender there is an over-ride switch that can over-ride everything and make the car behave either with no movement or all the way up to roughest movements. All the computers communicate with each other and the control room. This is what makes the ride random in behavior each time you ride.
        Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post
          Each of the cars has a computer that is fed a random program at the start of each ride. In addition there are 125 computers in the ride that are randomly fed programs as well. In addition there is the control room right above and to the left of the load area. If they see handicapped guests being loaded they can over-ride the programs and make a smoother ride for these guests.

In addition under the left front fender there is an over-ride switch that can over-ride everything and make the car behave either with no movement or all the way up to roughest movements. All the computers communicate with each other and the control room. This is what makes the ride random in behavior each time you ride.
          :blink: did they upgrade the cars/system recently? Because the belt override was located under the front fenders and previously the tower had no control over how rough a ride would be. Facilities could hook up a laptop to the back and designate a program... but that is about all I know of.
          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

people have been reporting that they have loaded new programming to several of the jeeps, but not all of them yet.
            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

This system that I described has been in place since the ride opened. I personally had been on the ride when the car was not moving at all through the entire ride and when we pulled back into the load/unload area a mechanic was waiting for us and asked if we wanted to go again and I said yea. I got some great video on this trip because it wasn't rough, and he said OK one rough ride coming up, reached under the left fender and I heard a switch click and it was the roughest ride I have ever been on. When we pulled in for the second time he was still there with a big grin on his face and he asked was it rough enough? I said yes and he reached under the fender and reset the switch.

The number of computers, how they communicate and all the other stuff was common knowledge to those who read all the documentation on ride since the day it opened. A lot has changed over the years due to wear and tear and lack of proper maintainance, but the system has always been this way. And Tony Baxter explained it to us when he walked us through the ride the day before it opened.
              Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

See this other thread starting here.. http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1055601207
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post

I would say that the above is somewhat correct however being an Indy CM for many years I can say that if there was a disabled guest override process the CMs were never trained on it. The Control Tower that you speak of does not have a disabled guest override system or any override controls for that matter. It is policy that if a tower CM even takes his/her eyes off of the ride monitors for longer than a few seconds they can be legally responsible if a serious incident happened in the ride so the CMs are trained to watch the in-ride screens at all times and could not be consistantly watching the load area for disabled guests.

In regards to the computer programmed cars it worked like this, in 2000 atleast it did. Most of the cars would have only 3 ride programs in it that would alternate independent of the computer randomization of the attraction show scenes. The reason that there were only 3 programs at the time was because there were only 3 programs really that wouldn't beat up the vehicles and cause other downtimes like track zone intrusions. There would usually be 1 or 2 cars however that would run a prototype ride version over and over and would not be coupled with any other software version. These were always the most jerky ride experiences as they were still being tested and all the kinks were slowly being worked out on these. Primarily they were active during operating hours to test the software's wear and tear on the vehicles during a certain amount of actual operating time.

Lastly, the switch only goes two ways. If switched one way the vehicle is forced into maintenance mode, this is a safety mode that maintenance uses normally after hours so that they can cycle the vehicles around the track or in the maintenance bay without the risk of the software running programs 1,2, or 3. Essentially maintenance mode can be considered the default mode (0). Hit the switch the other way and you better hope that you have your seatbelts on, however switching the cars into "Show" mode does not put it into a specific program, it instead starts the vehicle with first randomized program. Specifically the computer can be accessed via a small control panel at the back of the vehicle underneath the fiberglass shell that makes it look like a truck, in the dark you can see it very clearly as it is lit by some bright green lights and has a equally bright LCD display. CMs use this on occasion to restart the cars and determine which cars are throwing error messages during breakdowns however there are probably many more things that maintenance can do with these things. Maintenance primarily uses the laptops to install software updates and get detailed error messages or historical logs from the computer system in the event of a breakdown.

Comment

Whatever it is slow or fast, that is becoming my favorite ride

Comment

Wait, the jeeps only have 3 different ride programs? I thought they were supposed to have WAY more than that?
                      "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

Comment

Originally posted by rajbonham View Post
                        Wait, the jeeps only have 3 different ride programs? I thought they were supposed to have WAY more than that?
                        That was 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
                          Whatever it is slow or fast, that is becoming my favorite ride
                          It has always been my favorite ride The bumpier it is the more I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
                            That was 2000.
                            Oh, okay, I just thought they had a ton of programs ever since the ride opened. I guess in 2000 they did something different?
                            "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

Comment

Big people weight it down!!! haha. Proven fact.
                              -"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Comment

I had been under the impression that all the randomized programs had been removed from the ride due to Disney lawyers getting gun shy. It was only recently that we started hearing that this may be changing and they may be adding new programing (still don't know if it's random). Can anyone give us a definitive answer on what happened in the past, and what's happening now?
                                Formerly kaliwolf.

Comment

So is there any way to request a rougher ride on a normal day? My friend is always complaining that he misses the rougher programming when the ride first opened.

Comment

Honestly, I thought this thread was going somewhere else.

Speaking of which, I need to shave.
                                    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
                                      Honestly, I thought this thread was going somewhere else.

Speaking of which, I need to shave.
                                      :lol:

Comment

I do not think that attration / ride is not ,very MALE Friendly,
                                        If you know what I mean....
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X