This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Let's not bring back the past

There is a consistent theme that many of the threads on this board end up taking. And that is: (insert attraction) is not a good attraction, has problems, etc. and let's bring back (insert your favotire old attraction). I don't think these discussions are very production except for bring back precious memories. I also don't think there is much time at WDI spent on thinking about bringing back old attractions. These attractions are no longer at DLR either because they were too costly, could not be maintained, had low ridership or were replaced by something better. I don't think it does any good to to say the Frontierland needs more attractions so let's bring back the pack mules, mine train and stage coach. Also, I don't think it's pertinent to discuss bringing back the PeopleMover or ATIS for tomorrowland. It's been proven over time that you can't go backwards. I'm sure that Walt knew that and would rather push forward than try to reinvent the past.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

Re: Let's not bring back the past

So looking back at the past shouldn't be brought up? We can't "Relive fond memories of the past". They are still talking about bringing back the people mover so some of the classic could return. Sure stuff like the pack mules are impossible but others are very possible, like the subs.

And I disagree with you, discussing old rides and them coming back is very pertinent to MiceChat. If we aren't able to speak about of our cherished memories and their possible return, Disneyland is worthless to many of us.

Comment

I would agree if the newer rides being built had the same amount of magic as the old ones did as far as their ability to remove you from the real world. But since it seems every new attraction has to have some type of movie tie in, I would rather see the older rides come back than something I could otherwise experience at home on my DVD player.

Comment

Well new attractions for use may one day be rides that are taken away and we may think then, hey bring back Splash mountain that ride is way better than this ride.
        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Lets see, in the last few years we've had the subs, the castle walkthrough, the gallery and Lincoln all come back. Sounds to me like WDI is thinking a lot about bringing back old attractions too.

Comment

Telling people not to discuss the bygone attractions because there are new ones now is rather like telling people not to discuss the Beatles because now we have Britney Spears and the Jonas Brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
              Telling people not to discuss the bygone attractions because there are new ones now is rather like telling people not to discuss the Beatles because now we have Britney Spears and the Jonas Brothers.
              Very well put!
              Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Although I agree that we should not try to censor people from reminiscing about past attractions, I must say that I concur with the idea that the concept of Disneyland is forward looking and that re-birth from Yesterland is unlikely for most attractions.

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

- Walt Disney
                - Bobd

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                  There is also not a lot of sense in suggesting that the Beatles should come back just because you are dissatisfied with Britney Spears.
                  - Bobd

Comment

well there are empty tracks that could be put to use like the people mover, or bring EO back for a few months are a year. but seriously the people mover should come back cause the empty tracks anoy me
                    "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

Comment

The return of EO is a good point. I really enjoyed that movie, and I could care less about HISTA.
                      - Bobd

Comment

At a minimum, Yesterland exists as a benchmark of quality.

Disneyland at its best had a level of quality similar to that of the Beatles - essentially without peer.

It's not ridiculous to wonder why a weak attraction like Innoventions occupies space that used to be filled with something pretty darn good, and, absent a better idea, to wonder whether we wouldn't be better off bringing back the old. ie: the old thing would at least be an improvement.

At the same time, I think almost everyone here would be most delighted if instead Disneyland actually had that "better idea" and replaced the mediocre one with another Beatles-like hit.

Comment

I must admit, this thread elicits very mixed feelings from me. On the one hand, I don't particularly appreciate it when someone joins a site and then tells all the other members to stop talking about a major topic because it doesn't strike that one new member as relevant or productive. Heck, I wouldn't appreciate someone who's been here since the beginning doing the same thing. As long as the discussion is remaining civil and appropriate to the forum in which it's located, I see no sense in other members pooh-poohing it.

Furthermore, I think you're making several false assumptions. As Uncle Bob pointed out, Disney has resurrected numerous dead attractions in recent years. The results are never exactly identical to the former incarnations (with consequently varying levels of quality), but they're still doing exactly what you say they're not. Because you're making another false assumption - that if a ride was removed, it should have been removed. The correct assumption is that if a ride was removed, Disney thought it should have been removed. And Disney can be wrong. When the replacement is inferior to the thing it replaces, people will be annoyed. That's natural. By the take token, if the replacement is superior, there will be a little bittersweetness, but people will largely embrace it.

But on the other hand, I can relate a little. Some members here do seem a little too attached to the past, to the point where it obscures their logical thinking. To that extent, I disagree with them - but unlike you, splash114, I'm not trying to silence them.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with bringing back themes and concepts from retired attractions that have proven their effectiveness. It is the same idea when the movie industry remakes older films into a modern form. To look towards the future you have to remember the past. If Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain or any other of your favorites were replaced one day with something inferior, wouldn't you want to see a come back with the latest ideas and technology?

ATIS and Peoplemover would be amazing candidates to bring back because they can be remade with modern technologies and don't necessarily have to be carbon copies, just inspired. They did it with the subs, the only mistake was they veered too far away from the original idea.
                            Last edited by Seawolf; 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

You don't have to bring things back exactly like they were before......

The Country Bears could be brought back as queue entertainment for a new River Adventure type attraction(E ticket) in Frontierland.

The Skyway could be brought back as a more thrilling attraction with the addition of spinning Avalanche Tunnels(yes, like the old Universal one) inside the Matterhorn.

The old Flying Saucers could be placed up on a retooled Peoplemover track...maybe:unsure:

Don't need to actually bring back the Old Motor Boat Cruise but wouldn't a water attraction of some sort be nice there? Maybe something like this:

As for ATIS; well, perhaps it could be redone as a replacement for HISTA.....reconfigure the Magic Eye Theater to look more like the bridge of a Space Ship...except in this case it will be an Innerspace Ship.

Then there are those things that were closed by evildoers and should be brought back just as they were before......Tahitian Terrace, Fort Wilderness, and The Keel Boats leap to mind

Comment

I apologize if I have offended anyone. I certainliy did not mean to silence anyone or restrict anyone from reminiscing. I just think that too often a solution to a current problem is to bring back something that was removed. I love the old attractions and enjoy chatting about them, but sometimes, in my opinion, there is too much focus on what was there rather than how DLR should move forward.

Again, if I have offended anyone I did not mean to and I sincerely apologize. This is a great site and forum for us to discuss the greatest place on earth and I certainly did not mean to diminish anyone's memories.
                                Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, splash114. Gotta watch your wording, though...it's hard for people to tell that you're not "silencing" or "restricting" them when you use phrases like "I don't think these discussions are very productive" and "I don't think it does any good to to say..." and "I don't think it's pertinent to discuss..."

Comment

I'm very surprised that Steve hasn't posted on this thread yet. Either he has been busy or he is trying to exhibit some restraint and is watching this thread while sweating and biting down on a towel with his eye on the 'Reply' button.

Whenever the "lets build a new ride" or "lets bring back so and so ride" topics come up I usually find myself going one way or the other. In some cases the OP is correct in saying that some attractions were removed because they were essentially either bad for business or bad for guest satisfaction. However on the other hand there are some attractions that are a terrible or unnecessary replacement to a popular, but aging, attraction at which point it would make more sense to remove the new attraction and reinstall the old one.

I personally feel that there is always the opportunity to resurrect old attractions with retro-updates that will revitalize interest in the attraction. The perfect example is the people mover updating to the rocket rods which was an enormous success in generating crowd interest. Even bringing the subs back brought an initial surge of interest as well. I've noticed that the bigger debate in many of the afforementioned threads always ends up being "so we brought back this ride, but did Disney do it right??". Most people seem frustrated that Disney is not doing it right on occasion and thus the discussion of bringing back the old fixtures for the sake of maintaining the Disney standard of old. To request that some people here to get used to the mediocrity is obsurd without proof that their frustrations are unfounded.

Comment

Originally posted by splash114 View Post
                                      I just think that too often a solution to a current problem is to bring back something that was removed. I love the old attractions and enjoy chatting about them, but sometimes, in my opinion, there is too much focus on what was there rather than how DLR should move forward.
                                      I'm curious to know where you are getting this idea? There are only five concepts on this board I have ever heard people seriously asking for and three of them came true:
                                      1. ATIS
                                      2. Peoplemover
                                      3. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
                                      4. Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough
                                      5. Submarine Voyage
                                      Last edited by Seawolf; 10-26-2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
                                        I'm curious to know where you are getting this idea? There are only four concepts on this board I have ever heard people seriously asking for and two of them came true:
                                        1. ATIS
                                        2. Peoplemover
                                        3. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
                                        4. Subs
                                        Skyway, Motorboat Cruise, Tahitian Terrace, Carousel of Progress, Keel Boats, Fort Wilderness, Cascade Peak, Pirate Ship/Skull Rock, and the biggest one you're missing....The Country Bear Jamboree

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X