This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Peoplemover Idea

Theres always a debate on what the future holds for the peoplemover tracks. Ever since 2001, it has been rusting away, neglected. Everytime I'm there, I always think of a plan to resurrect the Peoplemover.

My intial plans are:

1.) Inspect the track first to see a possible replacement.
    2.) Make the proper queue for it.
    3.) Design a new Peoplemover vehicle to bring it up to speed.

My peoplemover idea revolves around the vehicles themselves. It would look similar to the original design, much like the Mark 7 Monorails resemble the earlier Monorail Models. But these vehicles would have adjustable windows to prevent guests from throwing things from the vehicles and provide ventilation. Security cameras would be in each car to discourage passengers from doing so. It would also have an A/C unit for each car. It would also contain a small LCD screen which can show stock footage and current footage of Tomorrowland, essentialy it would be a history tour of tommorowland.

I'm still thinking of a plan to create a queue for the ride which is the major obstacle in the hope of bringing back the ride.

What do you think?

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Re: Peoplemover Idea

They really need to do something good with it. To have the track and station just sitting there unused is "bad show."

Comment

I think that the peoplemover should be expanded and turned into an actual transportation system. Have a station across from Storybookland canal and move the other loading station to the upstairs part of the Starcade where there can be an actual station for a new type of enclosed ride vehicle. While your at it, because I know people will whine about moving the original station, throw the Astro Orbiter above the HISTA theater (please replace with something other than EO) and redo the queue for SM to accommodate the added attraction up there.
      This will serve a few purposes:
      1) No matter how much everyone wants it to happen, the old peoplemover isn't coming back but this will bring a more transportation-centric addition to the area.
      2) This will bring back movement on the tracks and kinda have a transportation system in between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland again.
      3) The removal of the Astro Orbiter from where it is will open up the entrance to TL and the new spot will bring something to an unused space.
      4) The old station area (in the future) can have a build out off of the BLAB building for a new queue for whatever takes the Innovations building's place. The queue can have a glass-covered walkover to the future attraction.

I've had trouble with the theme to the new peoplemover and I personally would like to see something other than a movie tie-in even though that's what will probably happen. I had an idea for another part of TL that would tie in well for a galactic transport but I'm more than willing to hear ideas about other people's ideas for a transportation-centric theme.
      I am ashamed of what I've done for a Klondike Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Polar_Bear View Post
        1) No matter how much everyone wants it to happen, the old peoplemover isn't coming back but this will bring a more transportation-centric addition to the area.

I've had trouble with the theme to the new peoplemover and I personally would like to see something other than a movie tie-in even though that's what will probably happen. I had an idea for another part of TL that would tie in well for a galactic transport but I'm more than willing to hear ideas about other people's ideas for a transportation-centric theme.
        It's not true that the old Peoplemover cannot come back. A dozen or so million would be enough to refresh the route, I think. As for the vehicles themselves, they would need to be new. But it definitely isn't impossible. As for a theme, I don't think the Peoplemover really needs one. It just needs to be a compliment of the rest of Tomorrowland, like it always has been.

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
          It's not true that the old Peoplemover cannot come back. A dozen or so million would be enough to refresh the route, I think. As for the vehicles themselves, they would need to be new. But it definitely isn't impossible. As for a theme, I don't think the Peoplemover really needs one. It just needs to be a compliment of the rest of Tomorrowland, like it always has been.
          No really it is quite impossible. California safety regulations won't allow it. When the old peoplemover was shut down, the grandfather clause for that attraction was then null and void. So it can't come back the way it was.
          I am ashamed of what I've done for a Klondike Bar.

Comment

As has been mentioned on MiceAge/MiceChat, some time ago (I think that Al might have written it), the Peoplemover, as it previously existed cannot be put back into Disneyland. Apparently, current Cal OSHA laws forbid any ride (even one as slow as the PM) from having an opening through which a rider can reach out and touch a wall or other structure.

If the old PM had been left running, it would have been allowed under a grandfather clause, like some other older rides have been. But if it is re-built now, it has to meet the new safety standards. So, new PM vehicles would have to have windows of some sort, probably like those on the Mk VII monorails, that prevent people from reaching out and 'hurting themselves' on stucco or something. :botox:

Ah. Looks like the largest of the white, fuzzy mammals beat me to it.
            Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
              As has been mentioned on MiceAge/MiceChat, some time ago (I think that Al might have written it), the Peoplemover, as it previously existed cannot be put back into Disneyland. Apparently, current Cal OSHA laws forbid any ride (even one as slow as the PM) from having an opening through which a rider can reach out and touch a wall or other structure.

If the old PM had been left running, it would have been allowed under a grandfather clause, like some other older rides have been. But if it is re-built now, it has to meet the new safety standards. So, new PM vehicles would have to have windows of some sort, probably like those on the Mk VII monorails, that prevent people from reaching out and 'hurting themselves' on stucco or something. :botox:

Solution: enclose the sides in vented plexiglass. And by that, I mean only the sides - not the front or the back surfaces. That will allow a sufficient flow of air from front to back, and you can't hurt yourself sticking your arm out the front. The sides of each car will be vented enough to also allow airflow, but not enough to stick a limb out of.

Wouldn't that work?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                Solution: enclose the sides in vented plexiglass. And by that, I mean only the sides - not the front or the back surfaces. That will allow a sufficient flow of air from front to back, and you can't hurt yourself sticking your arm out the front. The sides of each car will be vented enough to also allow airflow, but not enough to stick a limb out of.

Wouldn't that work?
                Yes, that would work.
                Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

My Son and I spoke to Tony Baxter in the Grand Californian in Aug, he said the tron ride would be going in on the old track. Of coarse that all depends on what the movie may do!! Keep the great ideas coming in, a little pixie dust could never HURT"

Comment

Originally posted by MrToadie View Post
                    My Son and I spoke to Tony Baxter in the Grand Californian in Aug, he said the tron ride would be going in on the old track. Of coarse that all depends on what the movie may do!! Keep the great ideas coming in, a little pixie dust could never HURT"
                    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Tron 2.0's success sparked interest in the people movier.

Hey, hopefully it comes back. The peoplemover return was right up there with a new star tours and even the subs, and look we get a new star tours and subs. So, anything is possible.

It is an eyesore to see that track having been empty for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                      I do agreed with you about the PEOPLEMOVER!>>>>>>>>
                      I disagreed with you !
                      [ compliment of the rest of Tomorrowland, like it always has been.][/QUOTE]
                      All of TOMORROWLAND need to be fix!
                      the 98 project was not good !
                      I like a Land of of the Future and on the move.........
                      something you see knowen the furture is going be bringt!
                      I feel now it is very junk up!
                      couple thing 's I like to see happine again this just me!

* get rid Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
                      it's notting more other toy story midway mania!
                      *get Astro Orbitor move out of the area that it's in now!
                      * new show were Honey I shrunk the Audience is now
                      something do with the future be nice and
                      not chatting about bringing back captain EO neather !
                      * Something GRAND needs be done with that buliding were
                      Innoventions is....
                      * NEW Tomorrow Terrace be nice
                      A "NEW" TOMORROWLAND! with a New PeopleMover

I can not strees this point more!
                      Tell the "PIXAR" People
                      we are sick of them junking the Land and the Park's with there Stuff!
                      to mush is to mush!
                      Any way that my view!
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                        Yes, that would work.
                        Except Disney doesn't need a demonstration transportation system that takes you on a loop through Tomorrowland.

They need something like that to get you back to your car or train.

So I hope the PeopleMover track will transition to an Increbles or Tron themed attraction or some other "fun" use, and let the concept of PeopleMovers move into the 21st Century and be used in a more practical way.

Comment

They need to do something to bring kinetic motion back to Tomorrowland. Ressurrecting an improved and/or modified PeopleMover would be a good first step. The old Tomorrowland had a sense of excitement just from all the visible moving parts. There was the Submarine Voyage, the Autopias, the PeolpleMover, Monorail, Rocket Jets (up on its platform) and the Skyway. It had a kinetic impact similar to driving through a major freeway interchange...people on the go, in many different levels and directions. It flat out got you excited about living in the future.

While many of the pieces are still there today, the absence of the PeopleMover, Skyway and Rocket Jets (in central Tomorrowland) leave a big hole in that sense of movement. The current Tomorrowland needs to be reworked to bring back the feeling of awe and hope for the future that Tomorrowland was meant to impart on guests.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

Okay, so how about they put the old Peoplemover back in as is? It would be the same as before, so technically they wouldn't be rebuilding it. Wouldn't it still fall under the grandfather clause? They could just say that they turned it off for a little while, but now it's back on.

Comment

Originally posted by grrandram View Post
                              Okay, so how about they put the old Peoplemover back in as is? It would be the same as before, so technically they wouldn't be rebuilding it. Wouldn't it still fall under the grandfather clause? They could just say that they turned it off for a little while, but now it's back on.
                              I've wondered about that as well. People on here claim that the any chance for obtaining a grandfather clause faded away when WDI took the PeopleMover off the tracks. But the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough was down for 7 years before being reopened, and it isn't ADA-accessible (all stairs and no ramps or elevators), meaning it would have had to be grandfathered - so how is that different?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                                I've wondered about that as well. People on here claim that the any chance for obtaining a grandfather clause faded away when WDI took the PeopleMover off the tracks. But the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough was down for 7 years before being reopened, and it isn't ADA-accessible (all stairs and no ramps or elevators), meaning it would have had to be grandfathered - so how is that different?
                                They provided the alternate viewing experience which meets current ADA requirements. The attraction is in full modern code compliance, not grandfathered.

Comment

In regard to if they would let it come back as the original version, I doubt it. I do think what people are saying in this regard is true. I still think the tracks will be used again, but whatever it is needs to be new and different and meet modern codes. I like the Tron idea because it's a little more nostalgic for those of us that grew up with the Tron segment of the old ride.

I also think a version of the old ride that added numerous opportunities for using technology to interact with the land would make it much more appealing. Maybe each vehicle has some some of personal electronic devices that allows them to talk to other vehicles, control new special effects, video screens, lighting and other things as you travel around the land. Imagine if you could change the color of AO or SM rockets as you pass by, I think that would be fun. Maybe you could also have an information mode where whatever you pointed your device at would tell you about the history of that thing. I could see them adding and adding new effects to a system like that forever so the ride would be continuously getting more elaborate and further tying more of the other attractions to the system. Maybe they should get Apple to be the sponsor and they can use a modified iphones to control everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MrToadie View Post
                                    The Light Cycles in the first film travel at fast speeds.

If this is what is to go in ... then we are talking "Rocket Rods" speed .... And if that's true ... then we are talking major infrastructure changes all along the 4,000 feet of track.

Half the reason Rocket Rods failed was the track was built for a ride that traveled a nice leisurely 6 to 11 mph, tops. With all the vibrations, and supports that connect to a series of buildings all throughout the land .... A Tron Light Cycle ride just may require serious upgrades to every inch of track.

I wish a "Tron" attraction would take place within one building, and not the Peoplemover track ... because the beauty of a Peoplemover ... is it's a family attraction. The former ride took some 15 minutes ... Rocket Rods went by in some 3 minutes or less. (For me, the "Disneyland" ride experience are attractions long enough to get the "immersive" feel. Short thrill rides just aren't enough.)
                                    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM.
                                    MY SIGNATURE:
                                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

A side note about Tony Baxter:

If there's one thing I've learned about him .. in all the years I've known of him .... He's careful about what he says to the public. With Disney Legal .. and all their "clauses" about who can say what ......... He's very careful about what he decides to leak.

Usually I've found ... Anything he speaks about ... Is usually something that is only in the early stages of development that is not a "firm" project. Anything that IS firm .... he's wise to not utter a word - and not have his hand slapped by his superiors.

Especially in the last decade ....
                                      with the little thing called The Internet .. where what you say - ends up on the net, in lightning speed!

So .. my advice to anyone ....
                                      Take anything he says with a grain of salt.
                                      MY SIGNATURE:
                                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

The main issue with the people mover isn't being able to "touch" outlying structures, it's the stability of the actual track.

When designing Rocket Rods the Engineers didn't ascertain the effect that rapid dynamic loads would have on the structure, and due to that the stability of the People Mover track was compromised. At this point it wouldn't be safe, let alone proper to put anything on that track without redoing the supports, and I hate to point this out too, but that steel that's been sitting there since 1998 isn't exactly up to snuff either. There's a whole list of major obstacles in the way of replacing people mover:

1) Replacing existing concrete supports
                                        2) Replacing the steel track (that has been sitting there since '98 and is in poor condition)
                                        3) Finding a place for a proper queue (note Buzz Llightyear in old queue)
                                        4) Design of a new attraction/ replacement of old attraction parts
                                        5) ADA Access and clearance restrictions

Now I'm not sitting here nay-saying and thinking in impossibilities. I'm just pointing out that any change in that area is going to be difficult, time consuming, and expensive. However if anyone can do it, it would be Disney Imagineering. I'm looking forward to whatever plans Disney has for the area (which I'm sure they do), it's a lot of prime real estate going to waste.

Also on the grandfather clause note: If Disney reopened the ride with the same vehicles, track, electronics, and supports as Rocket Rods (NOT PEOPLEMOVER which was replaced) then it could POSSIBLY have grandfather clause rights, however that isn't going to happen.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X