Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Background Music -- Keep in the background!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Background Music -- Keep in the background!

The last time I visited Disneyland, something struck me about the background music. This was especially noticeable in the hub area. It seemed that the happy, upbeat music that is normally more in the "background" was actually brought up too much in the "foreground". It was just too loud. I love the cheerful musical tracks, but it just seemed to "in your face" this time. Like a lovely perfume, the music that adds texture to a land should be a subtle thing -- something that you sense, but that is not overpowering. The way the music was turned up, the message seemed to be, "come on, get HAPPY!" Now, of course, I was happy because I was in Disneyland! But I didn't need the music to be so "out there". It seemed overdone. I like it when they really let it loose for parades -- but not during the "normal", "strolling around" times. Thoughts?

Re: Background Music -- Keep in the background!

I never felt that way on Main Street or the Hub, but have felt this way in almost all lands of DCA and in Frontierland. The music played in Frontierland wasn't even written in that period so it creates a false setting for the environment.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

For me, it's all about the music.

Disneyland without music, is just another theme park.

So to me, I like to hear the background loops. I play them everyday on my computer and it makes me happy. When I hear them at DL, it doubles my happiness!
      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Well I wouldn't like it if you could barely hear it, because the music is 50% of the atmosphere of most of the lands. I guess there needs to be a balance, but recently in Frontierland I noticed there was no music playing until I
        listened intently and I could barely hear the grand orchestral soundtrack. It needs to be audible.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
          The music played in Frontierland wasn't even written in that period so it creates a false setting for the environment.
          Neither was the Main Street music...

Comment

And who doesn't rock out to such jams as Oh You Drummer and The Winter Garden Rag blaring down from the Main Street parade speakers? Nay, not a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post

So to me, I like to hear the background loops. I play them everyday on my computer and it makes me happy. When I hear them at DL, it doubles my happiness!
              Same here. I love the music!

Comment

I'd rather listen to live music: the phenomenal piano players at the Coke Corner, the Dapper Dans, the Disneyland Band, the Bootstrappers, the Royal Street Bachelors, the other jazz players at NOS, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, the Pearly Band, even the Trash Can Trio... live is better than recorded. My Mom used to go to Plaza Gardens to hear the likes of Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton, Count Basie... My sister went to see Bobby Sherman sing at the Tomorrowland Terrace... I went to the Candlelight Procession in 1978 when Cary Grant was the narrator... live is better. It would be great if they had live music on the Mark Twain.

Comment

I hate the loud, obnoxious music when you walk into DCA.........I can't wait until it is gone!

As far as Main Street/the Hub is concerned........I say crank up the period/Americana music so it will drown out the thumpa/thumpa coming from Tomorrowland (especially on Saturday nights) and the rest of the non-Disney sounds that permeate the area.

Comment

I agree that the music when you enter DCA does fit, and is definitely too loud. Honestly, I never noticed the music was loud at Disneyland. The music feels like it fits in perfectly with Main Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post

Well put, same here! =D

Comment

I never felt that way on Main Street or the Hub, but have felt this way in almost all lands of DCA and in Frontierland. The music played in Frontierland wasn't even written in that period so it creates a false setting for the environment.
                        Just because the music wasn't written in the period doesn't mean it isn't appropriate for the time era it represents. Most of the music played in Frontierland comes from movies that represent the same era that Frontierland portrays, which makes total sense. Same with some Main Street music. If you have a problem with the music creating a false setting because it wasn't written in the period, then you probably have a problem with the buildings creating a false setting because they were built in the 1950's and not the late 1800's.
                        Last edited by Nautilus; 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

No, no, no, no, no! I say turn it up!

Comment

The Paradise Pier background music loop wins as the best background music in the resort. and I agree with WDITrent: turn up the volume - the music adds to the experience.
                            - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                              Neither was the Main Street music...

Nautalis took exactly what I wanted to say. The theme from "True Grit" fits the adventures of the wild west that occured during that time, and guess what? You have Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mark Twain, all of which are perfect. "Blazing Saddles" pays tributes to those songs about tough hombres in the wild west, and Frontierland has cowboys in it. The score from "True Grit" is big and boulsterous, as well as epic, and it reflects exactly what the West about. So it fits (IMO of course).

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Funny you should mention this; I thought the same thing last time. There's too much music now, to where it's almost noise pollution. I especially noticed this in the Hub.

It doesn't sound right for there to be Main Street music in the Hub. In fact, there shouldn't be any music at all in the Hub (excepting the performances at the bandstand, of course). The Hub's not part of Main Street, or any land. It's a limbo, a "palate cleanser." You're not meant to linger too long.
                                Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                                Charter Member

Comment

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
                                  Just because the music wasn't written in the period doesn't mean it isn't appropriate for the time era it represents. Most of the music played in Frontierland comes from movies that represent the same era that Frontierland portrays, which makes total sense. Same with some Main Street music. If you have a problem with the music creating a false setting because it wasn't written in the period, then you probably have a problem with the buildings creating a false setting because they were built in the 1950's and not the late 1800's.

Meh, I don't exactly feel that your argument really works. It's just a personal preference. I'd rather there be less music in Frontierland than making it feel like a "Hollywood" western.

Here's a question for you historians: did Frontierland have music when it opened? Did Main Street? I'm curious as to when the concept of the real life soundtrack came about.

For Hollywood Pictures Backlot, I would prefer they took the Frontierland route and played music that sounds like the era of Hollywood's heyday. I love film scores but feel that they don't exactly create the proper soundtrack for the land.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Most of the time, it's not loud enough for me.

Frontierland is one of my favorite spots to relax and I have a specific spot where I like to sit and listen to Ghost Riders in the Sky and the Magnificent Seven theme and the rest of the loop.

Comment

Has anyone been through Tomorrowland lately? Last few times I was in there, I don't remember ever hearing that great loop coming from the observitron tower.

Comment

You know, there is only really one area loop I don't like, and it's hollywood pictures backlot. There's no real consistency with it. And the operator really gets old after awhile. Tomorrowland, I know has a loop, but good luck hearing it unless your in specific parts of the Space Mountain queue. I'm fine with the volumes though everywhere else. It's loud enough that I can hear, but not so that I have any trouble hearing my friends.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X