Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Expensive Attraction at Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orcatime
    replied
    Re: Most Expensive Attraction at Disneyland?

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
    Considering WDI doesn't have a leader like Walt I would say that's pretty impossible.

The fact of the matter remains, they don't have the drive, vision, or leadership which WED had under Walt's supervision... The same comparision can be made between Walt and Paul Pressler running Disneyland.
    In bigger generalities, the comparison is being made between corporate American thinking of the 50's (Built in America/National pride) and current corporate American thinking ("Greed is good" mentality).

Now that the problem has been identified, what's the solution?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I hear pirates was the most expensive. All that gold must have cost a fortune!

\Sarcasm

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf
    replied

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    If WED were as large and knowledgable about current affairs they would be WDI.
    Considering WDI doesn't have a leader like Walt I would say that's pretty impossible.

The fact of the matter remains, they don't have the drive, vision, or leadership which WED had under Walt's supervision. Today it's just another engineering company that is being dictated by the bottom line and stock holders. The same comparision can be made between Walt and Paul Pressler running Disneyland.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-04-2009, 02:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied

Firstly, can you explain exactly what's so much more complicated about the lands of today then back when Disneyland was created? Last time I checked, Disneyland's architechture and layout was superior in every way to any theme park ever created. The size of Disneyland is also about 4 times that of Carsland, so how can you say WED never attempted something of this scale? The only thing that is more complex are the attractions.

Building codes and insurance I'll give you but that doesn't mean anything they create today is more complex. I'm sure the buildings were built well enough to withstand earthquakes, that's complex enough for me.

Also, considering the fact that Imagineering of today is gigantic, it's hardly fair to compare a multi billion dollar company to one that was brand new and small at the time. I promise that if WED were as large and knowledgable about current affairs it would finish the project in half the time, not to mention provide a better product.
    If WED were as large and knowledgable about current affairs they would be WDI.

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf
    replied

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
    WED wasn't building rides/lands this complicated at this scale and with the building codes and insurance requirements. Disneyland was relatively simple in the beginning, which is why it was built in a year. If they took on Carsland then, it would have taken twice as long as it does now, easily.

Can you explain exactly what's so much more complicated about the lands of today then back when Disneyland was created? Last time I checked, Disneyland's architecture and layout was superior in every way to any theme park ever created. The size of Disneyland is also about 4 times that of Carsland, so how can you say WED never attempted something of this scale? The only thing that is more complex are the attractions, that's what time will do. I'm sure we would be seeing even better things than what OLC has created if WED's principles and drive were being practiced today.

Building codes and insurance I'll give you but that doesn't mean everything they create today is more complex, just means it's less efficient.

Also, considering the fact that Imagineering of today is gigantic, it's hardly fair to compare a multibillion dollar company to one that was brand new and small at the time. If WED were as large and knowledgeable about current affairs it would finish the project in half the time, not to mention provide a better product. Personally I think they would laugh at the prospect of Carsland because it's so silly and ill-conceived, not to mention unoriginal.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-04-2009, 02:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• d1mex
    replied

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread, but my initial response would definitely have been Indy.

It seems that the subs surpassed it in cost though, which seems strange to me. They used recycled subs and refurbished a location that was already there. Even the queue doesn't have much theming to mention. Odd.
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing, why is Nemo sooooo much with the circumstances?

Leave a comment:

• CinderellaStory
    replied

Haven't read the whole thread, but my initial response would definitely have been Indy.

It seems that the subs surpassed it in cost though, which seems strange to me. They used recycled subs and refurbished a location that was already there. Even the queue doesn't have much theming to mention. Odd.

Leave a comment:

• Nautilus
    replied

Remember, Disneyland was built in only 1 year, the exact same project would have taken 3-4 years in today's standard, that drastically increases prices. To top it all off WED was just better and more efficient.
    WED wasn't building rides/lands this complicated at this scale and with the building codes and insurance requirements. Disneyland was relatively simple in the beginning, which is why it was built in a year. If they took on Carsland then, it would have taken twice as long as it does now, easily.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
    If super-themed, detail-rich attractions like Pirates cost only 50 million, why don't we have more of them??

("only" used relatively)
    Like Seawolf mentioned, attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean and Big Thunder Mountain would cost far more than just $50 million in today's money. Simply adjusting for inflation does not work, as the cost of design/construction and materials has also gone up since them. If attractions like Toy Story Mania can easiliy reach over $100 million with very little in the way of physical theming, it wouldn't be surprising if those elaborately themed attractions broke $200 million today.

Leave a comment:

• MarkTwain
    replied

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Adjusted for inflation I got these calculations:

Splash - 145 million
    Indy - 140 million
    Nemo - 175 million
    Pirates - 51 million
    Trains - 3.1 million
    BTMRR - 50 million
    Matterhorn - 11 million
    Space Mountain - 70 million
    Tower of Terror - 125 million
    Monorail - 10 million
    If super-themed, detail-rich attractions like Pirates cost only 50 million, why don't we have more of them??

("only" used relatively)

Leave a comment:

• hollywood1939
    replied

Adjusted for inflation I got these calculations:

Splash - 145 million
    Indy - 140 million
    Nemo - 175 million
    Pirates - 51 million
    Trains - 3.1 million
    BTMRR - 50 million
    Matterhorn - 11 million
    Space Mountain - 70 million
    Tower of Terror - 125 million
    Monorail - 10 million

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied

Originally posted by nonob88 View Post
    as a Tokyo Disney fan you should know this! When Imagineers are given a big budget to work with they can produce amazing things. Expensive doesn't mean better, but it means they have money to possibly make this a really great ride.

I think the ride length is somewhere around 5 1/2 minutes, it was mentioned at D23 expo.
    I was told by two different Imagineers that the ride is actually just under 4 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• dmtnt55
    replied

Pirates, think of all that money towards underground building, sets, and tooons of AAs.

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf
    replied

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
    NOS (and Pirates) cost 15 million in 1966 dollars. Adjusted for inflation, the whole area would have cost around 99 million.

Indy cost more than that, and if the rumors about Nemo are true, then Nemo would have been the most expensive to build.

I seriously doubt that the new RSR will be close to that.
    You are not taking into account the radically different construction methods back then. If Pirates were built today it would cost far more than your calculation based on inflation. Remember, Disneyland was built in only 1 year, the exact same project would have taken 3-4 years in today's standard, that drastically increases prices. To top it all off WED was just better and more efficient.

My vote goes to Pirates and Haunted Mansion in the United States. The most expensive attraction ever made is Journey to the Center of the Earth and will stay that way even with carsland.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-03-2009, 06:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WestsideCM99
    replied

Originally posted by nonob88 View Post
    I think the ride length is somewhere around 5 1/2 minutes, it was mentioned at D23 expo.
    Heh! Test Track is 5:34.. strange coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• nonob88
    replied

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    The Radiator Springs project certainly is ambitious. But bigger doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. I have no doubt it will be impressive (despite not being a big fan of the theming), but I don't buy that it will surpass the best Disney attractions just because it cost more to build.
    as a Tokyo Disney fan you should know this! When Imagineers are given a big budget to work with they can produce amazing things. Expensive doesn't mean better, but it means they have money to possibly make this a really great ride.

Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I certainly hope that the bulk of the hefty price tag goes into one or all of the following categories:

- Ride length
    - Technology/Innovation
    - Theming

Now I can't wait to hear more news about RSR!
    Last edited by nonob88; 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WestsideCM99
    replied

I certainly hope that the bulk of the hefty price tag goes into one or all of the following categories:

- Ride length
    - Technology/Innovation
    - Theming

Now I can't wait to hear more news about RSR!

Leave a comment:

• thermo648
    replied

The money being thrown at it doesn't guarantee anything, but from the level of attention and innovation that is going into this project, it has the ability to put down its name as a new classic Disney attraction.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied

Definitely, size has nothing to do with the quality of the experience. But if we start getting into what's good, that gets a lot more complicated.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

The Radiator Springs project certainly is ambitious. But bigger doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. I have no doubt it will be impressive (despite not being a big fan of the theming), but I don't buy that it will surpass the best Disney attractions just because it cost more to build.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X