• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dsny1mom
    replied
    Re: Handicapped Pass

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    Perhaps you did not read my entire post? I did not ask any random CM about "special privilege", I went to City Hall and asked the appropriate people for assistance. I had the disabled people with me at the time. No matter what phrasing I used (because up until today I did not know the actual name), the point is still the same. And yes, I explained my situation to the best of my ability. But as we got turned down more than once, it seemed inconsiderate to hold up the line any longer.

It sounds as if I've just had some bad luck with this in the past. I intend to try again on future visits.

I have another question, though. Has anyone who is or accompanies a handicapped individual ever experienced a CM thinking that they are "faking"? I have, and it was one of the reasons we became interested in getting a "pass". Just wondering.

I appreciate everyone's help.
    Unless your mom has other disabilities that are not accomodated by a wheel chair you will not be issued a GAC.

Her wheel chair is her access to alternative entrances when they are available or through the exits when not.

What accomodations are you looking for?

dsny1mom

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

Perhaps you did not read my entire post? I did not ask any random CM about "special privilege", I went to City Hall and asked the appropriate people for assistance. I had the disabled people with me at the time. No matter what phrasing I used (because up until today I did not know the actual name), the point is still the same. And yes, I explained my situation to the best of my ability. But as we got turned down more than once, it seemed inconsiderate to hold up the line any longer.

It sounds as if I've just had some bad luck with this in the past. I intend to try again on future visits.

I have another question, though. Has anyone who is or accompanies a handicapped individual ever experienced a CM thinking that they are "faking"? I have, and it was one of the reasons we became interested in getting a "pass". Just wondering.

I appreciate everyone's help.
    I do not know the way you are ask for?

If you you are ask help to push both Dad and mom (you will get a NO)
    Disney castmember are not to help push wheel around.
    So you need bring friends to help.
    Some castmember will help you get them on a attractions.

From the GA Book.
    Disneyland
    In the event of an evacuation, Guests will be required to walk certain distances, negotiate stairs and/or narrow
    walkways, have a companion assist or carry them, or wait in the vehicle for an extended period of time for assistance.

I hear that you read the GAC book.
    Disneyland web site More information Also download the book. Click here
    Last edited by akfandisney; 11-01-2009, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CarrieV82
    replied

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    Yay! I'm glad I could help you. Glad to hear you had a good experience. Like I said before, save the pass for next time, so you don't need to explain the situation and they'll issue you another one much easier.

The CM said the same thing. I was just so thankful at how helpful and understanding he was. Made our trip and my son's birthday so much more enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Potato Head
    replied

Originally posted by CarrieV82 View Post
    I had no difficult getting a Guest Assistance Pass yesterday at City Hall. I explained my son's situation to the CM and he happened to have a nephew with autism who reacted the same way to long lines/crowds and he gave us an alternate entry pass. It allowed us to enter through the exit and wait in the shade with very few people around. My son was finally able to go on everything he wanted to ride and we had no breakdowns and hitting of other kids in lines. It was definitely a lifesaver. I wish I had known about this sooner.

Thanks for the advice everyone
    Yay! I'm glad I could help you. Glad to hear you had a good experience. Like I said before, save the pass for next time, so you don't need to explain the situation and they'll issue you another one much easier.

Leave a comment:

• CarrieV82
    replied

Originally posted by Minnie Momma View Post
    Take the IEP with you. I've been told a glance at that speaks for itself.
    I didn't even need that. I just explained his situtation and he brought the card out and explained how to use it. We only used four times the whole day but it made all the difference. My only wish is that the people who answer the phone when you call Disney had the same information.

Leave a comment:

• Minnie Momma
    replied

Take the IEP with you. I've been told a glance at that speaks for itself.

Leave a comment:

• CarrieV82
    replied

I had no difficult getting a Guest Assistance Pass yesterday at City Hall. I explained my son's situation to the CM and he happened to have a nephew with autism who reacted the same way to long lines/crowds and he gave us an alternate entry pass. It allowed us to enter through the exit and wait in the shade with very few people around. My son was finally able to go on everything he wanted to ride and we had no breakdowns and hitting of other kids in lines. It was definitely a lifesaver. I wish I had known about this sooner.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Leave a comment:

• MonstersGoBoo!
    replied

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Another reason Disney has really clamped down on the SAP (special assistance pass) is b/c teens (about 5 yrs ago) caught wind of the pass.
    I'm not telling what they did (don't need to give an ideas out), but you can thank those who think of themselves and not what their actions do to others for the removal and/or difficulty of getting an assistance pass.
    Not to take this personal or anything, but my post had nothing to do with teenagers so I hope you're not assuming that I abused the GAC privilege because I'm 19 and my friends are of the same age. Plus, they lightened up procedures due to legal matters so it's not as difficult anymore.

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

I have had one for years. I have several physical problems and I just keep the last GAC with me when I return to the park the next time, and with no questions asked, they give me a new one for my current visit. I have to say too...I'd HAPPILY trade in my GAC for a healthy body. People act like you're being a jerk using it, and, it's really terrible. You can't see that I am ill..but..I am.

I do NOT understand why they won't accommodate your mother. That is horrible. Absolutely horrible.
    Last edited by I Heart Disneyland; 10-31-2009, 12:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LittlePrincess1230
    replied

The cast member on the phone line sounds like they were being rude AND they were giving out incorrect information. As i'm sure we're all aware (as are they), the City Hall CMs are not trained in the medical field. "High functioning autistic" and "low functioning autistic" don't mean much in terms of GAC distribution. Explaining the issues in line (aggression, yelling, etc) are what the cast understands.

In terms of being "denied" a GAC, as many has said it is not necessary to have a GAC if the guest is in a wheelchair and the only concern is mobility. If there are concerns BESIDES mobility, let the cast member know and they may be able to assist you further - if there is anything they can offer. However, in a wheelchair, you aren't "denied" a GAC as much as you are told you don't need a paper because the wheelchair IS the GAC.

Leave a comment:

• CinderellaStory
    replied

Originally posted by oo_nrb View Post
    I have. During my last visit to the resort (this past July), my girlfriend was confined to a wheelchair due to an ankle injury. She was asked quite frequently if she could stand/walk for any amount of time and while it got slightly irritating, I ended up appreciating it. One on of the days, my girlfriend and I waiting were in the handicap line for Splash Mountain and she and I watched as one of the other "handicapped" guests got up out of the wheelchair and had someone else in their party sit in the chair, because, and I actually did overhear this, their "butt was getting sore" and it was "someone else's turn to sit in the chair". They had just rented a wheelchair and were using it as a FastPass all day long.
    It's too bad that you had that experience, but I do find the "can you walk?" question interesting.

I shared this story earlier on another thread, but it seems fitting here too. One time my family waited in line for Toy Story Mania in the regular queue, got to the front of the line where the handicapped riders are sent to another area (the wait on that ride is usually longer because you have to wait for the HC accessible car to come around). The loading CM looked at my one-legged mom and asked her if she could just "ride the regular ride" because it would only require her walking up a large flight of stairs. I thought that was pretty funny. I'm sure he was just inquiring about the needs of the disabled individual and didn't realize how silly he sounded, but afterward my mom pointed to her stump and asked if he expected her to hop up the stairs. I guess that embarrassed her. But we get questions like that all the time. I understand why they ask, but you would think that the answer to "Can you walk?" would be rather obvious in the case of an actual missing limb.

Leave a comment:

• oo_nrb
    replied

I have. During my last visit to the resort (this past July), my girlfriend was confined to a wheelchair due to an ankle injury. She was asked quite frequently if she could stand/walk for any amount of time and while it got slightly irritating, I ended up appreciating it. One on of the days, my girlfriend and I waiting were in the handicap line for Splash Mountain and she and I watched as one of the other "handicapped" guests got up out of the wheelchair and had someone else in their party sit in the chair, because, and I actually did overhear this, their "butt was getting sore" and it was "someone else's turn to sit in the chair". They had just rented a wheelchair and were using it as a FastPass all day long.

Suffice to say, I'm glad some CM's ask, because unfortunately there are some people who just plain cheat the system.

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    My friends (who have major physical problems) have waited from 5 to 20 minutes (all depends what the standard wait time is).
    Haha, lucky :P - the wait we had in the handicapped line on Splash Mountain was close to 45 minutes. Though I think that was more CM error than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Originally posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    From past experiences with injuries to myself and as well as friends, if you're not physically able to walk/have difficulty or can't stand for a long period of time they can't provide you with a GAC, but suggest you get a wheelchair and use handicap lines. But seeing as how your mother has other conditions along with being an amputee, they shouldn't have denied you. Just like penguinsoda said earlier, they can no longer ask for proof so hopefully getting a Guest Assistance Card is easier for you.
    Another reason Disney has really clamped down on the SAP (special assistance pass) is b/c teens (about 5 yrs ago) caught wind of the pass.
    I'm not telling what they did (don't need to give an ideas out), but you can thank those who think of themselves and not what their actions do to others for the removal and/or difficulty of getting an assistance pass.

Also, you don't automatically go to the front of the line.
    You still have a wait time, they just have you in another line so they can assist those who need the help. My friends (who have major physical problems) have waited from 5 to 20 minutes (all depends what the standard wait time is).

Leave a comment:

• CarrieV82
    replied

The thing with GAC's is that it really just depends on the cast member. Some do whatever the hell you ask, while others are impossible to talk to. I'd say about 90% of the Cast Members (Just a rough guess) at City Hall would give you a GAC tomorrow simply by saying:

"I have an autistic child. The last few times we've been here he was unable to wait in lines longer than 15 mins, and took it out on other guests in line, and we couldn't go on hardly any attractions. Is there any solutions for this?" (Along those lines!)

They'd probably ask no more of you and issue the card. If you're stuck with the 1/10 who refuse to give you a pass, ask to speak to whoever's in charge. Explain to them the situation and they will give you the pass (If they don't who are they giving them to anyways???)

Good luck and I'm sure they'll give you one, let us know how it goes! (Don't throw it away at the end of the day either, save it for next time!)

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. And I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Potato Head
    replied

We're going tomorrow for his birthday (he'll be 4) and I thought I'd speak to someone in person. I found the call a little frustrating.
    The thing with GAC's is that it really just depends on the cast member. Some do whatever the hell you ask, while others are impossible to talk to. I'd say about 90% of the Cast Members (Just a rough guess) at City Hall would give you a GAC tomorrow simply by saying:

"I have an autistic child. The last few times we've been here he was unable to wait in lines longer than 15 mins, and took it out on other guests in line, and we couldn't go on hardly any attractions. Is there any solutions for this?" (Along those lines!)

They'd probably ask no more of you and issue the card. If you're stuck with the 1/10 who refuse to give you a pass, ask to speak to whoever's in charge. Explain to them the situation and they will give you the pass (If they don't who are they giving them to anyways???)

Good luck and I'm sure they'll give you one, let us know how it goes! (Don't throw it away at the end of the day either, save it for next time!)

Leave a comment:

• CarrieV82
    replied

That's first off incredibly rude of them. I guarantee you if you tell the CM at City Hall your child will hit other people in line, they will give you the pass, no more questions asked. The point of this pass is for people just like your son.

It's next-to impossible to "see" his level of disability so clearly the person you spoke with doesn't know what they're talking about.

We're going tomorrow for his birthday (he'll be 4) and I thought I'd speak to someone in person. I found the call a little frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Potato Head
    replied

I called the info line today about this and they told me that my son has to be incredibly low functioning on the autism spectrum in order to qualify for a pass, which he's not. He's high functioning but becomes very aggressive when we stand in line for more than 15 minutes (he frequently hits other children while we stand in line) so we there are only a few rides that we frequent. They said I'd have to bring him into City Hall on our next visit so they could "see" his level of disability.
    That's first off incredibly rude of them. I guarantee you if you tell the CM at City Hall your child will hit other people in line, they will give you the pass, no more questions asked. The point of this pass is for people just like your son.

It's next-to impossible to "see" his level of disability so clearly the person you spoke with doesn't know what they're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• llump41
    replied

There are a couple of keys to getting the proper GAC. Not being able to stand in line for a period of time is not a valid reason. The CM at City Hall should ask you what kind of assistance you will need and give you the proper endorsement. If you have a wheel chair it should be a slam dunk. Don't consider this a 'special pass' but a way for you and your mother to enjoy all that the park has to offer.

Remember that almost all of DCA was built ADA compliant so the pass there is not going to substantially reduce your waits.

Once you get your pass never, ever throw it away. Once I get to the counter, it usually only takes me a couple of seconds to get a new pass for that day.

It is important to remember that those that have abused the SAP in the past caused serious problems for those that really need the current pass.

Leave a comment:

• CinderellaStory
    replied

I called the info line today about this and they told me that my son has to be incredibly low functioning on the autism spectrum in order to qualify for a pass, which he's not. He's high functioning but becomes very aggressive when we stand in line for more than 15 minutes (he frequently hits other children while we stand in line) so we there are only a few rides that we frequent. They said I'd have to bring him into City Hall on our next visit so they could "see" his level of disability.
    They really said that? That seems somewhat insensitive.

Leave a comment:

• CarrieV82
    replied

Very Interesting. I've gone with an Autistic child before and they gave us a GAC, no proof or anything required. They didn't even see him and they gave us one. The pass had red arrows on it, and all the cast members directed us through fast pass lines (Basically a fastpass for an entire group to use without having to come back at a certain time, and be able to use it over and over if wanted). This made our day absolutley wonderful (Ghost galaxy waits above 130 mins, no FP's, no problem. Just walk up with the pass and use it as a Fass Pass). Even the attractions without a Fast Pass had no wait time, just go through the exit and get on immediatley.

I'm not really sure how they denied you a GAC, and clearly you should get one. Just ask them why they are denying you'r request next time, push them around enough and I'm sure they'll give you one. That's ridiculous if you ask me....

(Ps, once you get one it's really easy for them to update the date on it, (they know you need one since you already got one) so you wouldn't have to push them around ever again)

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X