This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Smoking at Disneyland

This Halloween weekend I went to Disneyland and was waiting to take pictures with the villains next to IASW. Behind this small queue is the smoking area. I found it a bit alarming that with so many small children there, they could have at least temporarily closed down that smoking area and re-opened it after the villains left.

It's rare, but there are people that do not restrain themselves to these smoking areas, and it is daunting to me why, in a place filled with so many children, Disneyland has banned alcohol (for the most part), but allowed smoking. I do not mean to trod on anyone's decision for being a smoker or not, but Disneyland should at least consider making the smoking areas an enclosed place.

Some time back, I also watched Fantasmic from the left side (closes to the Haunted Mansion) and saw that the smoking area there was also packed. There were a lot of small children there as well watching the show and with the wind, the smoke seemed worse as it was blowing my direction.

Smoking is obviously a personal choice, and I am not making this thread to bad mouth smokers, but I just want to know people's thoughts on how Disney may improve the situation for non-smokers. As I stated, I think they should just make it an enclosed area (like most airports have now-a-days) as most people actually follow the rules and go to the permitted smoking areas to smoke.
    "I did do the nasty in the pasty" -Philip J. Fry

Re: Smoking at Disneyland

Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
      Personally I have never seen this topic on MiceChat. If it has occurred then excuse the double posting. I just asked for any thoughts. Sort of like "If you could do X what would it be."
      If I offended you by voicing an opinion, I do apologize.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Next to strollers, smoking is one of the most inflammatory and controversial topics you can discuss around here. Not trying to be a jerk, it just never ends well.
          Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well like I stated, I never saw one. If it is beating a dead horse, then the thread will die out soon.

Comment

IMHO, Disney made the mistake of placing the Villain's Photo Op where it was.

Disney has had some serious issues of where to place the East side smoking section. During the time they thought that the Submarine Voyage would have major long lines, they placed the smoking section on a narrow pathway between the Autopia entrance and the Tomorrowland Train station. That was a VERY bad location.

Placing the smoking section on the former Motor Boat Cruise dock, it gets the smokers out of the way and in an area that is isolated and a dead end, and that nobody has to walk through. It is the BEST location for that side of the park.

Same with the west side smoking section. They tried a few locations, including the area for the extended Splash Mountain queue near the exit of the Haunted Mansion, and they found the former Keel Boats dock the most isolated area to keep smokers away from other guests. It is easy to avoid the docks, just stay off the lower walkway and use the higher queue.

Smoking is not illegal in America, or even California. Disney has to take into consideration ALL their guests, both those who smoke, and those who don't. And I think the current setup is about the best they can do.

To be honest with you, I would like to see smoking sections in the Main Entrance Plaza, Downtown Disney and near the Tram Loading areas, all areas that currently allow smoking anywhere that is outdoors.

Compromise is needed, but a total ban is impractical, and IMHO would cause more problems then the current setup, as guests will break the rules and not be regulated at all. It is much better to have areas that some folks that need to avoid smoke can avoid and not allow it anywhere else in the park, then to have folks smoking in bathrooms, and on the sly wherever they think they can get away with it.
              Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

I ONCE SAW A PARENT IN FANTASTYLAND PUSHING A TRIPLE-WIDE STROLLER AND SMOKING A CIGARETTE AT THE SAME TIME.

Heads exploded everywhere and the internet erupted in fire!

Comment

As a smoker (and AP holder) I think that they could probably find a better area (better=more isolated) than the area by IASW. While it looks like it would be okay down towards the end of the dock, I know it whiffs over into Fantasyland where most of the samller kids will be, but I do only smoke in designated areas and try to avoid crowds (and especially kids) when between the gates or DTD.

At Knotts, they allow no smoking at all near or in Camp Snoopy for the very reason that that's where the little ones tend to be and I think that's a great idea.

Unfortunatly when D_Land was built, smoking wasn't taboo, so there wasn't any planning for smoking sections.

two cents worth...
                  Last edited by kristibaer; 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM.
                  It may have zippity to do with doo-dah :ccool:

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
                    Well like I stated, I never saw one. If it is beating a dead horse, then the thread will die out soon.
                    You might not have seen one because these all end up in the Litterbox due to massive amounts of arguing. It's a heated topic.
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
                      Personally I have never seen this topic on MiceChat. If it has occurred then excuse the double posting. I just asked for any thoughts. Sort of like "If you could do X what would it be."
                      If I offended you by voicing an opinion, I do apologize.
                      I think Sunnygirl's just trying to get to 20000 posts today.

I'm in the tired of arguing about it mode, myself. I used to care a lot about not wanting to breathe in smoke. But, it happens extremely rarely to me, and I have realized that it won't kill me (take a couple seconds off the end my life, maybe). I'm glad I don't live in a 30%+ smoking town one might find in the Midwest (Toledo, Knoxville, and Indianapolis are at the top, according to quick google search), and that my town (too small for the census) has a pretty low smoking rate. (Orange County CA, Salt Lake City, and San Diego have the lowest smoking rates.)

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                        You might not have seen one because these all end up in the Litterbox due to massive amounts of arguing. It's a heated topic.
                        Yes, they really light up the forum.
                        And then, they drag on and on.
                        They should be stamped out, when they're done, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                          Yes, they really light up the forum.
                          And then, they drag on and on.
                          They should be stamped out, when they're done, of course.
                          :lol:
                          It may have zippity to do with doo-dah :ccool:

Comment

You've been here since July 09...and this topic pops up once about every 6 months or so. That's probably why you haven't seen it. And as someone already said above me, most of the time it ends up in the litter box because folks on each "side" end up turning it into a personal tizzy.

Anyway, regarding the subject, i agree with DB...it was a poor choice of DLR staff to pick a spot by a smoking section for that gathering OR perhaps it was a poor place to put a smoking section, near a place they often use for such activities.

Being a non-smoker it is easy for me to say "just ban smoking". My father has smoked since he was 15 and he is now near 70 and probably would disagree with me. There is no easy answer to the issue and that's probably why this topic is so...I can't resist the pun...inflamitory!

Comment

Well, the reason I started this was not to pick fights or start arguments, just simply if anyone had thoughts on how to make it both to have smoking, but not affect non-smokers. I just thought people were going to be creative outside of "just ban it," as I mentioned originally, it wouldn't be fair since smoking is not at all illegal. And two, I notice that for the most part (99.9999999999999%) I have seen that most people stay withing the designated smoking area so at least people follow the rules. I just wanted to make this more about ideas and not just a "Get rid of smoking or keep it in the park" thread.
                              I acknowledge that smoking in the park isn't going anywhere, but there are ways to limit it. For the most part, I started it because I noticed that the smoking areas were (at least for the examples I gave) where there were a lot of children. I know the halloween villain meet and greet is there only for halloween, and the one where people watch fantasmic is also only seasonal, but still.

Comment

Deja vu!

I give this until about 9pm to hit 10 pages, especially if smoking while breastfeeding gets added to the mix! :lol:

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMickey View Post
                                  Deja vu!

I give this until about 9pm to hit 10 pages, especially if smoking while breastfeeding gets added to the mix! :lol:

Have fun!
                                  LOL! And while pushing a stroller!

Comment

Why not at least somewhat contribute to the discussion instead of posting nonsense?

I just love the sense of maturity on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo505 View Post
                                      Why not at least somewhat contribute to the discussion instead of posting nonsense?

I just love the sense of maturity on this topic.
                                      And so it begins...

Comment

Maybe 15 pages???

:lol:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X