X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoking at Disneyland

Originally posted by stevo505 View Post
    If some people are so inconsiderate as to run over others with their strollers, I can't imagine the fun those people would have running over others with Segways.
    I don't think it's so much about being inconsiderate. I have a 2 1/2 year old, who is always in a stroller when we go to the park. And most of the time, I am the one pushing the stroller because I choose to, because I can navigate through the crowds very well. Except when it's a thick crowd of people, shoulder to shoulder.

But coming from that perspective, it's rather easy to not think to include that stroller as an extension of either your body or just your personal space, that personal bubble around you. When a person walks without a stroller, you tend to place that area of space around you, as kind of an invisible barrier. That's your personal space, which also keeps you from walking into people. Those that push strollers, it comes as involuntary nature, an act without thinking, to include that stroller within that "barrier." The thicker the crowds, the closer we all get to each other. It's like driving on the freeway or the highway. It's why it's a rule of thumb not to tailgate the person in front of you. But when you start to hit that bumper to bumper traffic, we're not as spaced out anymore, and a lot closer together. The solution, lessen the crowds.

Comment

Well, it could be worse...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52wwFyuPyqg"]Disneyland Paris - Finding the Smoking Section[/ame]

Comment

So can you smoke park-wide at the Paris resort? Better visit soon before the nanny state takes over and they ban smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by BoogaFrito View Post

THAT is hysterical (and accurate). I love you for posting this...

France is one of the "SMOKING REQUIRED" countries.

If you are caught smoking, drinking a glass of wine, and talking on your cell phone - simultaneously, 'the Holy Trilogy' - inside the Disneyland Paris Resort, you are cited, and automatically made a citizen of France.

It's the Law.
          "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

Comment

I was a high school student abroad in France for one year.

I joke now that the reason I smoke is I was "issued a pack at customs" when I entered the country.

It's the reason I smoke. I blame France.

Comment

Originally posted by AidensDaddy View Post
              The solution, lessen the crowds.
              You're getting there, Dad. Just one step further...

Comment

Originally posted by EvilQueen View Post
                THAT is hysterical (and accurate). I love you for posting this...

France is one of the "SMOKING REQUIRED" countries.

If you are caught smoking, drinking a glass of wine, and talking on your cell phone - simultaneously, 'the Holy Trilogy' - inside the Disneyland Paris Resort, you are cited, and automatically made a citizen of France.

It's the Law.

Yes, I can see it now......

And please pardon my french, or lack thereof, or the spelling of it anyways....

<American businessman at Disneyland Paris, talking with a bluetooth in his ear, a blackberry in one hand, glass of chardonnay in the other, cigarette in his mouth on the phone.>

<is approached by french Disneyland Paris Security>

(Again, please pardon my french)

"Saachhe Blue!!!! Look at this?!?! Cigaretta! Wine! And a cellphone?!?! Here is your ticket sir! Now you must become one of us!"

<kisses the man once on each cheek in french customs>

"Awe revioure!"

<then walks away>

<American businessman stares out with a dumbstruck look on his face, ticket falls to the ground>

Comment

Originally posted by AidensDaddy View Post
                  Yes, I can see it now......

And please pardon my french, or lack thereof, or the spelling of it anyways....

<American businessman at Disneyland Paris, talking with a bluetooth in his ear, a blackberry in one hand, glass of chardonnay in the other, cigarette in his mouth on the phone.>

<is approached by french Disneyland Paris Security>

(Again, please pardon my french)

"Saachhe Blue!!!! Look at this?!?! Cigaretta! Wine! And a cellphone?!?! Here is your ticket sir! Now you must become one of us!"

<kisses the man once on each cheek in french customs>

"Awe revioure!"

<then walks away>

<American businessman stares out with a dumbstruck look on his face, ticket falls to the ground>
                  I'm beginning to think that's a great idea for Disneyland Paris' new free ticket promotion!

"Smoke, drink, talk away. Get a Disney day."

Comment

I'm proud of everyone. The posts ranged from strollers to internets blowing up! And no one argued! YEAY!
                    "I did do the nasty in the pasty" -Philip J. Fry

Comment

So if California legalizes pot next year (it could happen), i suspect the smoking section will be a little more crowded. Security is sure to crack down and they'll probably be doing it a lot.

Any medicinal patients try to smoke pot in the smoking section?
                      my Disneyland and stuff photo album

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 2

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 3

Comment

Originally posted by Leofoenget View Post
                        I don't think he would approve, soo what to do. An area by hungry bear maybe? Out of the way of everyone but still allow it?
                        Not by Hungry Bear
                        1. Eating area
                        2. Tons of families over there (eating and using restrooms)

And I think if Walt knew what we knew today,
                        not sure he'd be against the park going non smoking
                        Quote by Al:
                        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by kristibaer View Post
                          I think there are only 3 smoking ares in DL and I wouldn't feel comfortable smoking near the bathrooms since everyone has to go at some point during the day. That is too close to the main pathways and too many kids too.
                          They did it Condor Flats

and that smoking area is not only by the Restrooms
                          but a major pathway (to get to Grizzly)
                          Quote by Al:
                          To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                          -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by Usul831 View Post
                            Just use the same TTA theme from WDW...

Tomorrowland Tobacco Authority
                            Isn't there a bunch of managers offices open in TDA now?
                            Couldn't you just have them go over there and smoke (LOL)
                            Since it's indoors, there would be no extra cost to build something.
                            Quote by Al:
                            -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
                              This Halloween weekend I went to Disneyland and was waiting to take pictures with the villains next to IASW. Behind this small queue is the smoking area. I found it a bit alarming that with so many small children there, they could have at least temporarily closed down that smoking area and re-opened it after the villains left.

It's rare, but there are people that do not restrain themselves to these smoking areas, and it is daunting to me why, in a place filled with so many children, Disneyland has banned alcohol (for the most part), but allowed smoking. I do not mean to trod on anyone's decision for being a smoker or not, but Disneyland should at least consider making the smoking areas an enclosed place.

Some time back, I also watched Fantasmic from the left side (closes to the Haunted Mansion) and saw that the smoking area there was also packed. There were a lot of small children there as well watching the show and with the wind, the smoke seemed worse as it was blowing my direction.

Smoking is obviously a personal choice, and I am not making this thread to bad mouth smokers, but I just want to know people's thoughts on how Disney may improve the situation for non-smokers. As I stated, I think they should just make it an enclosed area (like most airports have now-a-days) as most people actually follow the rules and go to the permitted smoking areas to smoke.
                              I just wanted to say a word in defense of the OP.

This person opened up a topic in good faith, looking to get response to a dilemma many Disneyland guests face, regardless of where smokers are allowed to puff away.

So what if it's a topic that's been covered many times before?

What if a CM acted rudely to your question, because it was maybe the 100th time she'd heard it that day? It was the first time for you, and the fact that it had been discussed before didn't make the question any less relevant to you, then.

If you see a thread question you may be tired of hearing about, how about just moving on, instead of posting pictures with suggested expletives?

Back in 2005, when I was new, I started a thread that someone else didn't like, and the first three or four replies were like most of the ones here. It didn't exactly make me feel good.

If you don't like something, you don't always have to make your opinion known. As they used to say in the Yellow Pages commercials, just let your fingers do the walking, on to something else.
                              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Oh, how I love gazing upon the Rivers of America, enjoying that smoke, seeing the name of my fellow tobacco-liker MARK TWAIN salute me in passing ... such an incredible treat ... BUT ...

The idea of using the People Mover track for smokers - not just a smoking section, but a smoking LEVEL - that's just tremendous.

Comment

Actually, I really appreciate this thread. It's very interesting to hear everyone's opinions on the subject and to learn about things we may not have otherwise (such as the smoking in DL Paris).

The mention of what to do if and when marijuana is legalized is a really interesting one too. Wait and see for now.

Comment

This got me wondering about the trip strategy employed by someone who has the smoking areas as definite points of destination. Any smokers out there wanna share a story of going to Disneyland with the thought of rides you went on and paths you walked in order to get to the smoking area faster?

Here's a picture of my friend in the smoking area in 2003:

my Disneyland and stuff photo album

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 2

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 3

Comment

as someone has said in this and other threads, people in the Disney Company do read these forums to see what people are thinking. I think threads like this are good because it gives them an idea of what is working and what is not working. smoking near a character meet and greet spot doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised if something isn't changed in the near future.

on the pot smoking issue, if it is legalized, where you can smoke should be more controlled than where you can drink. zero tolerance for secondhand pot smoke.

The motorboat area is such a nice area to sit and eat lunch. Placing the smokers there IMO is great for them but terrible for everyone else.
                                      I think I said the same thing in the last thread about smoking.
                                      I miss having access to that area. before it became clear that the structure that was being built near the old motorboat dock was a food stand, I was hoping it might be an enclosed smoking area with HEPA filters on the exhaust ducts.

Many places ban smoking altogether, but I doubt DL would ever do that. Seeing as how Walt was a smoker, I don't think he would approve, soo what to do. An area by hungry bear maybe? Out of the way of everyone but still allow it?
                                      the world has changed alot since the sixties. you never know, his views on smoking might have changed with the times had he survived lung cancer.

didn't he ban chewing gum sales in the park because of the cost of cleaning it up. cutting down cost by not having to clean up the smoking areas is not far from that thought.
                                      Last edited by gary94080; 11-03-2009, 11:54 PM. Reason: added info and typo fix

Comment

Originally posted by ivankay View Post
                                        So if California legalizes pot next year (it could happen), i suspect the smoking section will be a little more crowded. Security is sure to crack down and they'll probably be doing it a lot.

Any medicinal patients try to smoke pot in the smoking section?
                                        I'll tell you what, it would sure make those dark rides a helluva lot scarier!.....I'm lookin' at you, Pooh.

Originally posted by gary94080 View Post
                                        didn't he ban chewing gum sales in the park because of the cost of cleaning it up. cutting down cost by not having to clean up the smoking areas is not far from that thought.
                                        I'm almost certain there's little to no extra costs involved with maintaining the smoking areas. They're really just a pit stop on the custodial rounds to dump the ashtrays and maybe sweep a few stray butts. Gum, on the other hand, takes some work!

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                                          Not by Hungry Bear
                                          1. Eating area
                                          2. Tons of families over there (eating and using restrooms)

And I think if Walt knew what we knew today,
                                          not sure he'd be against the park going non smoking
                                          I know that Walt knew something about how bad it was to smoke. Didn't he have a rule about never being photographed with a cigarette and his rule I know was never smoke around the kiddies (despite that not being in the repertoire of society at the time). I think smoking at the park isn't as big as a problem, but just the locations they have chosen (or at least for my examples in the original posting).
                                          Last edited by matterhornlove31; 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM.
                                          "I did do the nasty in the pasty" -Philip J. Fry

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X