This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoking at Disneyland

it must have been back in 2004, but there was a very old woman who resembled bette davis. she had a very long cigarette in one of those old fashioned pipe things they attach into. and she had black as the heart of africa glasses on her face. she looked over at me and a chill whipped down my spine. i couldn't tell what she was thinking, but it looked like she was going to drop dead. then she blew out a gargantuan cloud of smoke. you couldn't even see her face!

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
      I know that Walt knew something about how bad it was to smoke. Didn't he have a rule about never being photographed with a cigarette and his rule I know was never smoke around the kiddies (despite that not being in the repertoire of society at the time). I think smoking at the park is as big as a problem, but just the locations they have chosen (or at least for my examples in the original posting).
      I don't know that this is true... but it does show up on all of the smoking threads.

Walt was often photographed smoking and there are many posed photos of him with a cigarette in his hand. I have also seen a photo of him with one of his daughters AND a cigarette in his hand. I have not seen a photo of him at Disneyland with a cigarette in his hand. Perhaps that was a choice he made, perhaps it's coincidence, perhaps it was just a circumstantial reason (maybe he didn't smoke when he walked.)

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. He lived in a different era.

As for the original question... I never noticed any problems with the smoking sections at any of the Disney parks. I rarely notice them at all. I can't even remember the last time I smelled smoke at a Disney park.

I really think that people worry a bit too much about second hand smoke. Living in a house with someone who smokes 2 packs a day may be dangerous... walking by someone who is smoking for less than a second on your vacation hardly seems life threatening.
      sigpic
      Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
        They did it Condor Flats

and that smoking area is not only by the Restrooms
        but a major pathway (to get to Grizzly)
        And everyone walking to the restrooms or walking towards Grizzly throws dirty looks that direction.
        It may have zippity to do with doo-dah :ccool:

Comment

One thing to keep in mind about smolking at DLR...it is a vacation destination resort, an international one at that. So many countries still don't see smoking as taboo, and if it were banned at DL altogether, that could impact international visitors, maybe not by much but some. Albeit we now have Disney resorts around the world (including Paris) but ours is still the original and a tourist destination nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by ivankay View Post
            So if California legalizes pot next year (it could happen), i suspect the smoking section will be a little more crowded. Security is sure to crack down and they'll probably be doing it a lot.

Any medicinal patients try to smoke pot in the smoking section?

I don't think security would crack down as much. If anything they would be making a lot more money on Churo and Dole Whip sales after it was legalized
            FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by indyIluvu View Post
              I don't think security would crack down as much. If anything they would be making a lot more money on Churo and Dole Whip sales after it was legalized
              :lol:

There's that silver lining...

Comment

Originally posted by indyIluvu View Post
                So nice, it had to be quoted twice. Funny.

When i was an annual pass kid in the 80's, security busting me for smoking was a pretty regular thing. At the time they did it because i was underaged (14-15....back then when you turned 16, people didn't bug you for smoking) and not because i was smoking in a non-designated area. Anyone remember when the park began to coral the smoking? By the time they did, i wasn't smoking anymore.
                my Disneyland and stuff photo album

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 2

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 3

Comment

Originally posted by kristibaer View Post
                  One thing to keep in mind about smolking at DLR...it is a vacation destination resort, an international one at that. So many countries still don't see smoking as taboo, and if it were banned at DL altogether, that could impact international visitors, maybe not by much but some. Albeit we now have Disney resorts around the world (including Paris) but ours is still the original and a tourist destination nonetheless.
                  That is such a good point.

I'm a non-smoker myself, and I do think that it's unfortunate that such an unhealthy thing to do became a habit and an addiction for so many people.

But they certainly don't deserve to be treated badly because of it.

I'm beginning to think that there is no adequate solution. There is really no way to please everyone. Most people are willing to meet in the middle, but there are going to be those on both ends of the spectrum who feel that either smoking should be banned completely or it should be allowed freely.

The people I do know that smoke LOVE the motorboat area and HATE the other smoking areas, primarily because there they feel comfortable and know that they can smoke in peace without disturbing anyone else.

Comment

I keep hearing of the idea of a two storied outdoor area for tomorrowland if or when the next update would be done for that land. My idea would be that they should have a two storied TM and a certain area will be a smoking section to lounge and take a drag. However in doing so you get rid of the other smoking areas in the park and making this one the sole designated place to smoke in the park.

I think it would be perfect because for the most part it would be in an elevated area away from most foot traffic and essentially the smoke would just go up to the sky. People smoking there will have a great view of the park and atogether I think parents wont need to worry about going past the smoking area with their young kids.

Now I know some will probably complain about having to go to TM to have a smoke but I look at it as a give and take thing. You are still able to smoke you just have to go to a specifically designated area to do so without possibly diminishing the enjoyment of those that dont smoke or those that have kids.
                    My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_zavala/

Comment

Originally posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
                      I keep hearing of the idea of a two storied outdoor area for tomorrowland if or when the next update would be done for that land. My idea would be that they should have a two storied TM and a certain area will be a smoking section to lounge and take a drag. However in doing so you get rid of the other smoking areas in the park and making this one the sole designated place to smoke in the park.

I think it would be perfect because for the most part it would be in an elevated area away from most foot traffic and essentially the smoke would just go up to the sky. People smoking there will have a great view of the park and atogether I think parents wont need to worry about going past the smoking area with their young kids.

Now I know some will probably complain about having to go to TM to have a smoke but I look at it as a give and take thing. You are still able to smoke you just have to go to a specifically designated area to do so without possibly diminishing the enjoyment of those that dont smoke or those that have kids.
                      Yeah, smokers would never go for that.

Elevating the smoking areas does make sense for the reasons you mentioned.

But forcing smokers to travel all the way to the far side of the park every time they want to light up...all that will accomplish is having a lot of people "sneaking" smokes in the other areas of the park.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
                        I know that Walt knew something about how bad it was to smoke. Didn't he have a rule about never being photographed with a cigarette and his rule I know was never smoke around the kiddies (despite that not being in the repertoire of society at the time). I think smoking at the park isn't as big as a problem, but just the locations they have chosen (or at least for my examples in the original posting).
                        Myth busted:

Originally posted by SummerInFL
                        Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
                        Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

Originally posted by mousechild View Post
                          Myth busted:

Totally off topic, but you gotta love MythBusters! :lol:

Comment

A while ago, I was running through the area that is now pixie hollow when it was still Ariel, durring the fireworks and smelled someone smoking pot. I looked arround and two kids probably late teens, early 20's were sitting on Ariel's chair passing a joint back and forth. Nobody was saying or doing anything cause they were all too busy staring at the fireworks in the sky. Amazing what people can get away with these days.
                            FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Comment

That's funny that one of you posted a photo of Walt smoking like somehow that validates the claim that smoking should be allowed throughout the park.

Wait a second, here he comes, the coroner.

Date of death: December 15, 1966

Cause of death: Cardiac arrest

Walt died of cardiac arrest resulting from the lung cancer he had developed over many years of chain smoking.

This should only serve as an example as to why smoking should not be allowed any where in the parks.

Edit: plus it is gross and smokers are ugly.
                              Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
                                Yeah, smokers would never go for that.

Elevating the smoking areas does make sense for the reasons you mentioned.

But forcing smokers to travel all the way to the far side of the park every time they want to light up...all that will accomplish is having a lot of people "sneaking" smokes in the other areas of the park.
                                My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_zavala/

Comment

Originally posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
                                  That's funny that one of you posted a photo of Walt smoking like somehow that validates the claim that smoking should be allowed throughout the park.
                                  Your logic is dizzying.

Comment

Wait a second, here he comes, the coroner.

Date of death: December 15, 1966

Cause of death: Cardiac arrest

Walt died of cardiac arrest resulting from the lung cancer he had developed over many years of chain smoking.

This should only serve as an example as to why smoking should not be allowed any where in the parks.

Edit: plus it is gross and smokers are ugly.
                                    I did no such thing, I clearly used the photos to show that Walt did not have a ban in place regarding taking photos of him while smoking. As has been discussed here many times we have no way of knowing how Walt would feel about smoking in the parks today. What we do know is that while he was alive he did not discourage it, in fact he profited from the selling of tobacco products within the park.

What I find disgusting it trying to link Walt's death to your personal feelings about smoking and assume that Walt would feel the same way you do. I have no way of knowing that this would be true and neither do you.

Comment

Originally posted by mousechild View Post
                                      I did no such thing, I clearly used the photos to show that Walt did not have a ban in place regarding taking photos of him while smoking. As has been discussed here many times we have no way of knowing how Walt would feel about smoking in the parks today. What we do know is that while he was alive he did not discourage it, in fact he profited from the selling of tobacco products within the park.

What I find disgusting it trying to link Walt's death to your personal feelings about smoking and assume that Walt would feel the same way you do. I have no way of knowing that this would be true and neither do you.
                                      Apologies friend, I didn't look close enough at the reason behind the linked photo. You are right, there wasn't a ban put in place during Walt's time. For all we know, he may never have wanted to outlaw smoking.

But the fact is, as we progress, we determine new things to be acceptable and unacceptable. Thomas Jefferson thought slavery was cool, Abraham Lincoln, who came after him, did not. Walt Disney thought smoking was cool, and the current administration does not. I only hope we continue to adapt in the right direction and don't start going backwards.

Yeesh looking back, that above paragraph may be littered with sweeping generalizations, but the premise should make sense. Maybe?
                                      Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

Apologies friend, I didn't look close enough at the reason behind the linked photo. You are right, there wasn't a ban put in place during Walt's time. For all we know, he may never have wanted to outlaw smoking.

But the fact is, as we progress, we determine new things to be acceptable and unacceptable. Thomas Jefferson thought slavery was cool, Abraham Lincoln, who came after him, did not. Walt Disney thought smoking was cool, and the current administration does not. I only hope we continue to adapt in the right direction and don't start going backwards.

Yeesh looking back, that above paragraph may be littered with sweeping generalizations, but the premise should make sense. Maybe?
                                        Perhaps, but it can be made without invoking Walt and his life or death. All too often on a variety of topics that occurs here on MiceChat. Apology accepted, and we would all be better served if there were not so many myths going around about Walt.

BTW to the others reading this thread this is how you solve disagreements in a thread that evokes such passion, a reason discussion and a willingness to admit when you over step.

Comment

• Re: Smoking at Disneyland

I like the idea of a more centralized location. Even if there were only one, it would always be mostly convenient.

And I agree, the sneaking of smoking (no matter what these people happen to be smoking) is disrespectful to the other guests. Hearing that people are doing drugs inside the park is disturbing (b/c if one type of drug is getting in, you know that others are as well, and that just creates a dangerous situation for everyone).

Lazy would adequately describe a person who isn't willing to walk a little ways in order to be considerate to other people. But there are a couple of things that us non-smokers should take into account. First, as someone else pointed out, in many other parts of the world smoking is not a taboo. Telling them that they only have one place to smoke is like telling Americans that we need to eat our fatty foods and drink our sodas away from the impressionable eyes of young children.

Also, there was one time I was at Disneyland and I was chatting with a woman while we were both waiting for our families to come off of a ride. She was very obviously disabled, and couldn't move far on her own. After my group got off the ride we went into a shop. When we came back out I noticed that same woman sneaking a smoke. That whole image sort of upset me. I mean, she obviously shouldn't have done it. She should have waited until she could get to a smoking spot. But on the other hand, who was I to criticize HER? That just made me step into someone else's shoes a little, you know?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X