X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
    replied
    Re: Smoking at Disneyland

I must say though.. the way things are progressing in California, might not be too much longer and the smoking sections won't just be for "tobacco" users.

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Originally posted by Ban88 View Post
    I am no fan of smoking ( I have horrible Asthema, and even the scent starts me up) but having only one area located at the far end of the park? That's just lame in my opinion. Despite my dislike, people gotta do what people gotta do. I suggest, which I think someone already stated, is for perhaps an enclosed structure. The locations now are fine, such as the one near the old Motor Boat Cruise landing pad (due to its discreatness and it's tucked away), but on a particularly windy day, it can damper ones sense of fun when one gets a large whiff of nicoten.

However, Disney should definetly NOT ban smoking, because thats just econmically idiotic, as well as down right dumb.
    We've done it in AZ and business are doing just fine.

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
    As you also mentioned, people make rude comments at smokers for smoking in the smoking area. That is crude and I don't understand why one would go out of there way just to go to a smoking area (especially if the smoke for a non-smoker is usually not appealing) and be a jerk.
    That's just rude.
    Now, with my friends I do make jokes (but I care and want them to live)
    but then again, they are my friends.
    I, by the way, give my friend a whole lotta crap when she tries to sneak a smoke. Her partner does too. We'll be walking and then all of a sudden she is gone. She's off hiding from us while she's sneaks a smoke outside of the smoking area.

Leave a comment:

• hollywood1939
    replied

Originally posted by kristibaer View Post
    Me personally, I wouldn't have a problem with one centralized location either. It's not like DL is that big of place that one isnt' enough (say in comparison to one centralized smoking area for WDW-Resort/5 parks).

The worst encounter I had with a non-smoker was while at the area behind BTRR, a young woman and her boyfried walked THRU the smoking area and yelled at me because she had asthma and they were very vulgar about it. My non-smoking friend was even offended by that one and yelled back at her for being dumb enough to walk through the smoking area to begin with!

...and I haven't once seen this thread turn into smoker-bashing!
    As a smoker, when I've gone to Disneyland, I've had some really nasty things done to me.

I've been spit at, things thrown at me, I've had people have their kids fake cough (even when they are no where near the smoking area), I've also had the people who walk through the area and complain about it saying they have asthma. It's terrible and it seems to happen every time I go. I'd ask someone to call security but by the time they get there, it's a little too late.

The areas that they are at now are actually pretty well placed. NOS I would have to say is the weird one. It can get busy over there especially during Fantasmic! The other two are fantastic because they are pretty much out of the way and completely avoidable.

Leave a comment:

• Ban88
    replied

I am no fan of smoking ( I have horrible Asthema, and even the scent starts me up) but having only one area located at the far end of the park? That's just lame in my opinion. Despite my dislike, people gotta do what people gotta do. I suggest, which I think someone already stated, is for perhaps an enclosed structure. The locations now are fine, such as the one near the old Motor Boat Cruise landing pad (due to its discreatness and it's tucked away), but on a particularly windy day, it can damper ones sense of fun when one gets a large whiff of nicoten.

However, Disney should definetly NOT ban smoking, because thats just econmically idiotic, as well as down right dumb.

Leave a comment:

• stevo505
    replied

Originally posted by Scary Scott View Post
    I wondered recently...
    Micky Mouse was voiced by Walt who was a smoker.
    And in earlyer cartoons mickey smoked.
    is it case mickey still smokes?
    Do you know how much bad publicity that would get Disney from parents nowadays?

Leave a comment:

• kristibaer
    replied

To be honest I have only ever ONCE seen someone smokiing in a crowd at Disneyland and that was at Tomorrowland. I know most people (I would say ALL if I hadn't seen that one person) do go to the smoking areas and woudl follow the rules. I just asked if a centralized area would be more efficient for smokers.
    As I stated, this isn't a "bash smokers" thread, but more of a brainstomring thread. I like finding ways to improve upon the park and though all of the threads on MiceChat end up being hypotheticals, it is for good topic and never to snicker at anyone.

As you also mentioned, people make rude comments at smokers for smoking in the smoking area. That is crude and I don't understand why one would go out of there way just to go to a smoking area (especially if the smoke for a non-smoker is usually not appealing) and be a jerk.
    Me personally, I wouldn't have a problem with one centralized location either. It's not like DL is that big of place that one isnt' enough (say in comparison to one centralized smoking area for WDW-Resort/5 parks).

The worst encounter I had with a non-smoker was while at the area behind BTRR, a young woman and her boyfried walked THRU the smoking area and yelled at me because she had asthma and they were very vulgar about it. My non-smoking friend was even offended by that one and yelled back at her for being dumb enough to walk through the smoking area to begin with!

...and I haven't once seen this thread turn into smoker-bashing!

Leave a comment:

• matterhornlove31
    replied

Originally posted by kristibaer View Post
    I'm a smoker and usually the only one in my group when we go. As I stated earlier in this post, I guess I'm not the typical smoker because I have no problem walking to a smoking area to light up. To be considerate to the others in my group, I try more so to hit the "smoking lounge" if we are near a smoking area as opposed to seeking them out and dragging my group there. I don't allow my 12 year old to accompany me to the one by TSI (too much concentrated smoke), but she likes looking at the ducks and fish over by the old motor boat dock (and more away from the direct smoke).

I think I actually prefer the smoking area by BTRR because it's seems off the main path and isolated more than the dock at TSI.

My biggest problem are the people who will make rude comments towards me when I am in a smoking area following the rules. I know it's bad for me, but I really do try and keep away from others as much as possible and hopefully one day I'll be strong enough to stop smoking for good (yes, I've tried and failed). But again, it's my thing, not yours and I try to keep it in those areas where it belongs.

Sadly, it's the sneakers that give us all a bad rap and unfortunatly these days, rules are for those who choose to follow them.
    To be honest I have only ever ONCE seen someone smokiing in a crowd at Disneyland and that was at Tomorrowland. I know most people (I would say ALL if I hadn't seen that one person) do go to the smoking areas and woudl follow the rules. I just asked if a centralized area would be more efficient for smokers.
    As I stated, this isn't a "bash smokers" thread, but more of a brainstomring thread. I like finding ways to improve upon the park and though all of the threads on MiceChat end up being hypotheticals, it is for good topic and never to snicker at anyone.

Leave a comment:

• kristibaer
    replied

Well, here is a question for smokers, as they are the only ones that could technically answer this: is it too much of a hassle to walk over to a smoking area when you crave a smoke, or is the analogy DLFreak71 gave of walking to a smoking area is like walking to a ride on the other side of the park accurate?
    I do agree with his statement that it is basically the same thing, but I wouldn't know. Reading that having a central smoking area would be ideal if it really is out of the way of children (notice I do press the issue that it is so bothersome for the most part when a child is involved).
    I'm a smoker and usually the only one in my group when we go. As I stated earlier in this post, I guess I'm not the typical smoker because I have no problem walking to a smoking area to light up. To be considerate to the others in my group, I try more so to hit the "smoking lounge" if we are near a smoking area as opposed to seeking them out and dragging my group there. I don't allow my 12 year old to accompany me to the one by TSI (too much concentrated smoke), but she likes looking at the ducks and fish over by the old motor boat dock (and more away from the direct smoke).

I think I actually prefer the smoking area by BTRR because it's seems off the main path and isolated more than the dock at TSI.

My biggest problem are the people who will make rude comments towards me when I am in a smoking area following the rules. I know it's bad for me, but I really do try and keep away from others as much as possible and hopefully one day I'll be strong enough to stop smoking for good (yes, I've tried and failed). But again, it's my thing, not yours and I try to keep it in those areas where it belongs.

Sadly, it's the sneakers that give us all a bad rap and unfortunatly these days, rules are for those who choose to follow them.

Leave a comment:

• matterhornlove31
    replied

Well, here is a question for smokers, as they are the only ones that could technically answer this: is it too much of a hassle to walk over to a smoking area when you crave a smoke, or is the analogy DLFreak71 gave of walking to a smoking area is like walking to a ride on the other side of the park accurate?
    I do agree with his statement that it is basically the same thing, but I wouldn't know. Reading that having a central smoking area would be ideal if it really is out of the way of children (notice I do press the issue that it is so bothersome for the most part when a child is involved).

Leave a comment:

• CinderellaStory
    replied

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Plus you walk from one end of the park to another.
    You'll do it for a ride, but not to smoke....Hmmmmmm.
    I honestly agree with you, I really do.

It's just those "odd circumstances out" that get me.

People from other cultures, who would likely be insulted by the idea that they are only allowed one place to smoke.

AND

The smokers who ARE NOT able to walk from one end of the park to the other. (It would be GREAT if they would just stop smoking since it could very well be the cigarettes that caused their situation in the first place).

I totally agree with designated smoking area/s. But I just can't wrap my head around only giving them ONE place to smoke unless it is a central location (albeit a central location that causes as little annoyance to other guests as possible).

Leave a comment:

• matterhornlove31
    replied

Originally posted by DebiDeb View Post
    i can remember when they put the new 'smoking areas' in Dland. We were quite irked that we had to follow my husband around to a smoking area. i am a lifelong non smoker, and HATE smoking since Lung Cancer killed my mother.

then my daughter had the brilliant idea to let dad walk to the smoking area's and meet up with us at the next attraction! Its his habit, why should WE be subjected to it? LOL

also, i am disgusted by the parents that bring their children into the smoking areas.
    that bothers me too. I see it quite often actually. I know that is their choice to make, but it is bewildering to me why one would do it.

Leave a comment:

• DebiDeb
    replied

i can remember when they put the new 'smoking areas' in Dland. We were quite irked that we had to follow my husband around to a smoking area. i am a lifelong non smoker, and HATE smoking since Lung Cancer killed my mother.

then my daughter had the brilliant idea to let dad walk to the smoking area's and meet up with us at the next attraction! Its his habit, why should WE be subjected to it? LOL

also, i am disgusted by the parents that bring their children into the smoking areas.

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Plus you walk from one end of the park to another.
    You'll do it for a ride, but not to smoke....Hmmmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    But forcing smokers to travel all the way to the far side of the park every time they want to light up...all that will accomplish is having a lot of people "sneaking" smokes in the other areas of the park.
    LOL
    Not laughing at you
    just the idea (like Scooby and a scobby snack).
    No, I won't go all the way over to there to smoke,
    would you do it for a ride on Space Mountain?

Leave a comment:

• Scary Scott
    replied

I wondered recently...
    Micky Mouse was voiced by Walt who was a smoker.
    And in earlyer cartoons mickey smoked.
    is it case mickey still smokes?

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Originally posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    I just had a similar idea for a "centralized" smoking area in the park.

Howabout enclosing the old Aladdin show area in Adventureland and theming it to the brim with adventurous knick-knacks and period specific treasures, throw in some dramatic lighting and pipe in some authentic Arabian sitar music, and open Disney's first hookah lounge! Smokers of all types are welcome, but they specialize in offering exotic flavors of authentic tobacco imported directly from the middle-east. Furnish the place with luxurious oversized pillows and beautifully carved wooden tables. Each hookah is a work of art, adorned with jewels and engravings telling the story of Aladdin or other folk stories from that culture. A group of guys might order the "sultan" complete with a robust water jar and gold-encrusted hoses. In the bowl would be a bold blend of the highest quality shisha offered. A group of ladies, on the other hand, might order the "jasmine" with a delicate sapphire jar and turquoise adornments hanging from the plate. They might enjoy a light mint blend along with a splash of any fruit imaginable. The place would be strictly 18 and older and would be enforced similar to how it's done over at the ESPN Zone. No ID, no entry.

I dunno if something like this could ever be feasible in the future, I just had to get that idea out of my head!
    I'd rather have the Tahitian Terrace back there. Nice try, though.

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
    replied

Put all the smokers on their own sub on Nemo ride! maybe that'll learn 'em.

But seriously, maybe install 48" turbo fans above the smoking area's on poles, to suck the smoke up-ward creating a vortex effect. :thumbup:

Leave a comment:

• matterhornlove31
    replied

Originally posted by mousechild View Post
    Myth busted:

I failed. Oh well. I did read something along those lines though, what I had stated earlier. Of course, you can't always believe what you read.
    Anyway, elevating the smoking area, enclosing it or centralizing it are all great ideas. My main point in the OP was to get it away from children. For the villain meet n greet, I just thought that was poor planning n behalf of the park and the one next to the raft that gets to you Tom Sawyer Island, I just think it is inconvenient during F! since so many people gather around that area. I think Disneyland could afford to close down the smoking areas for about two hours for F! and I suppose just move the villains area elsewhere next year.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Didymus
    replied

I just had a similar idea for a "centralized" smoking area in the park.

Howabout enclosing the old Aladdin show area in Adventureland and theming it to the brim with adventurous knick-knacks and period specific treasures, throw in some dramatic lighting and pipe in some authentic Arabian sitar music, and open Disney's first hookah lounge! Smokers of all types are welcome, but they specialize in offering exotic flavors of authentic tobacco imported directly from the middle-east. Furnish the place with luxurious oversized pillows and beautifully carved wooden tables. Each hookah is a work of art, adorned with jewels and engravings telling the story of Aladdin or other folk stories from that culture. A group of guys might order the "sultan" complete with a robust water jar and gold-encrusted hoses. In the bowl would be a bold blend of the highest quality shisha offered. A group of ladies, on the other hand, might order the "jasmine" with a delicate sapphire jar and turquoise adornments hanging from the plate. They might enjoy a light mint blend along with a splash of any fruit imaginable. The place would be strictly 18 and older and would be enforced similar to how it's done over at the ESPN Zone. No ID, no entry.

I dunno if something like this could ever be feasible in the future, I just had to get that idea out of my head!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X