Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Some Possible Themes for A Water Park?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] What Are Some Possible Themes for A Water Park?

Chalk me up as one of those dreaming that the Disneyland Resort will one day have a Water Park to call its own. In my mind, a decent sized Water Park in the Simba lot and a Third Gate at the Strawberry Fields would really make Anaheim the Destination that Michael Eisner envisioned, but that he had no idea what so ever how to build. But for a Water Park to be successful in Southern California and set itself apart from its Southern California competition the way Disneyland sets itself apart from Universal or Knott's, it has to have that Magical theme present that makes it unlike anything its competitors can match. But what could that central, underlying theme possibly be? If you were Bob Iger, which direction would you take this potential park in. Would it be that Pirate-themed park featured in a piece of concept art a few years back? Maybe a park featuring some of your company's other beloved aquatic based classics like The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo, all united in one? Or would you go the way of Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, something with an original, intricate, and certainly creative backstory, that truly transports its guests to another world?

Just interested in some of your thoughts on what a Water Park could be like. You don't necessarily have to want one at the DLR, or weigh the merits of one against a true Third Gate. But if it was truly going to happen, how would you do it?
    sigpic
    Long Live the Disney Renaissance

Re: What Are Some Possible Themes for A Water Park?

L O S T

The scariest slide west of Florida .......THE SMOKE MONSTER
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

I think it would be cool to do a Little Mermaid theme, or an oasis themed to Aladdin, since it would really fit the climate.
      The daydream princess

Comment

Comment

Well ... just pick any number of past Disney animated features that involve water - Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Nemo, Pocahontas, Sorcerer's Apprentice ........ and that should feed the imaginations of designers just fine.
          MY SIGNATURE:
          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

well it could just have different lands and then the movies from the different water regions could fit into them

Comment

Lava Lagoon - I'd still like to see this never-realized water park built somewhere, after being proposed for Disneyland Paris. It wouldn't need to be built under a dome like the one in Paris would have been, but maybe part of the water park could take place inside/underneath the volcano, so guests can still use the park in the winter.

The Rivers of the frontier/California - could be a lot like the now-closed River Country water park at WDW, but with more of a Californian-forest theme to tie the park in to DCA next door (think Grizzly River Run as a water park)

Seaside park - Disneyland may not be on the beach, but that doesn't mean the beach can't be brought to Disneyland. This park could feature massive "sand" castles, life preserver-styled inner tubes in a lazy river, interactive play areas themed to tidal pools, or even a real sandy beach on a wave pool. For added fun, tie the water park into the Paradise Pier Hotel next door (this is on the Simba lot, right?)

Coral Reef - have guests feel like they've entered the undersea world and have become the size of a fish, with giant coral reefs and anemones. Maybe even a shipwreck. WDI could have a lot of fun with this one, with lots of possibilities for surreal scenery and underwater effects. This idea would also be easy to blend indoor/outdoor by having indoor areas beneath the elevations of the reef.

Neverland - If the Disneyland Hotel's renovation extends as far as the grounds and spells the end of the Neverland theme there, the concept could be further explored here. Recreate the entirety of Neverland (in smaller scale), with areas themed to Pirates, Mermaids, Indians (ahem, Native Americans), and the Lost Boys' treehouse. Lots of potential here.

I just came up with these off the top of my head; the possibilities are endless.

Good thread!

Comment

i love that idea of having different like movie lands for a water park!
                as rachel zoe would say "i died, i'm literally dying" (man i loved that show)

i was trying to think what movie would be best for a water park
                but they all do!

i was thinking stitch cause of hawaii and stuff
                but i totally forgot about little mermaid
                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Mineral King?

Or something with 50's kitsch and orange groves.

Comment

One based off different parts of California.....ohhh wait
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Wall-E
                      • Mickey's Christmas Carol
                      • Tron

those just scream "water park!"

or maybe not...
                      -plagued

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                        Lava Lagoon - I'd still like to see this never-realized water park built somewhere, after being proposed for Disneyland Paris. It wouldn't need to be built under a dome like the one in Paris would have been, but maybe part of the water park could take place inside/underneath the volcano, so guests can still use the park in the winter.

The Rivers of the frontier/California - could be a lot like the now-closed River Country water park at WDW, but with more of a Californian-forest theme to tie the park in to DCA next door (think Grizzly River Run as a water park)

Seaside park - Disneyland may not be on the beach, but that doesn't mean the beach can't be brought to Disneyland. This park could feature massive "sand" castles, life preserver-styled inner tubes in a lazy river, interactive play areas themed to tidal pools, or even a real sandy beach on a wave pool. For added fun, tie the water park into the Paradise Pier Hotel next door (this is on the Simba lot, right?)

Coral Reef - have guests feel like they've entered the undersea world and have become the size of a fish, with giant coral reefs and anemones. Maybe even a shipwreck. WDI could have a lot of fun with this one, with lots of possibilities for surreal scenery and underwater effects. This idea would also be easy to blend indoor/outdoor by having indoor areas beneath the elevations of the reef.

Neverland - If the Disneyland Hotel's renovation extends as far as the grounds and spells the end of the Neverland theme there, the concept could be further explored here. Recreate the entirety of Neverland (in smaller scale), with areas themed to Pirates, Mermaids, Indians (ahem, Native Americans), and the Lost Boys' treehouse. Lots of potential here.

I just came up with these off the top of my head; the possibilities are endless.

Good thread!
                        These are a lot of good ideas, I've had several of these same ideas myself. I've actually been thinking a lot about this topic though I can't say I've come up yet with what I think would be the best solution. One of the things that I've been thinking a lot about has been the context which would surround this park. The PP, DL and hopefully another hotel would basically create a "berm" for this park.

So in some sense I would think the theme for the park would work best if it somehow had a theme that fit into that context. You could easily ignore that I suppose, but these hotels are very close and would loom right over the park, so I think it would be best if it used those buildings to its advantage rather than ignoring them.

Since we know that the DLH will have a retro 50's look, and since ideally the PPH will eventually get a retheme to its exterior to better fit the new PP theming. I think the most reasonable plan would seem to be to remodel the PP in a style that would not require major structural changes and both fit the new theming of PP and look good with the DLR hotel and DTD, I think the smartest thing to do would be give hotel a art deco makeover. It would be a "new" hotel in the context of PP and look good alongside the new look of the DLR and DTD.

So basically, if they go this direction, which I think they should, I could see a couple of the ideas you suggest working in that context. I think that they could go in the volcano, direction if they played up the mid century tiki room feel, which I think could be really fun and take advantage of some long popular DL motifs. I think they could do the beach theme and that would certainly give it a connection to PP as well as the overall California feel of the whole resort. I also think if they also kept the design of the PP hotel simple and blue somewhat simmilar to the DLH, the buildings could actually make a kind of neat ocean backdrop to the coral reef idea. Anyway, I think these are some really good possibilities, but I'm honestly not sure which I like the best.
                        The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                        -Walt Disney

Comment

I think if its going to be at Disneyland, they should go with a more natural theming similar to what Disneyland represents. Make it more like Disneyland rather than California Adventure.

Unique theming and unique rides that arent just advertisements for Disney movies. Stuff that actually comes out of the imagination of the ride designers.

Thats what i would like to see.

They could make an amazing park.

Comment

Knowing the Disney mindset today it would probably feature characters like Nemo and the Little Mermaid but that's not what I would choose. I'd like to see them continue to be creative and do something based on Atlantis. They could build the entire city of Atlantis and have the rides based around that theme. Maybe even do a dark water ride or something with it.

Comment

This is Disney were talking about. It's going to be Finding Nemo.
                              "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
                              YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
                              Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
                              (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Comment

I've always thought a Pirates of the Caribbean themed water park would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                  I've always thought a Pirates of the Caribbean themed water park would be cool.
                                  If I'm not mistaken, that was the plan for California for a while. There are renderings online.

I'm of the opinion that they should continue with the Lava Lagoon concept, and do something very retro South Seas/Tiki style. Basing it off a movie or animated characters would be extremely lame. Best to have something that lends itself to lush theming...

Comment

Best to have something that lends itself to lush theming...
                                    What's not lush about theming to Islands of the Caribbean c. Pirate / colonization era?

I do like your South Seas / Tiki idea though.

Comment

Some of the ones I thought might work when I made the Thread.

Ancient Civilization- I just think WDI would have a field day making a Water Park out of the great monuments of the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Mayans, the Incans, the Romans, the possibilities are truly endless. Limiting themselves to just one would be difficult, but tying them all together would certainly be challenging. If they could pull it off, it would be the Disneysea of Water Parks.

Mythological- While the above pays tributes to these Societies remnants and accomplishments, this park could pay tribute to their legends. Once again, such broad possibilities, and could really work with some imagination. However, I do feel that this would work much better as a Theme Park then a Water Park.

Tropical Rainforest- Just a very broad theme for Imagineering to work with. Amazon Lazy River, Mountainous backdrop from which the slides begin. Lush landscaping and hopefully some wildlife throughout could create an environment that could provide and escape from the rest of DLR.This would probably take many elements from Typhoon Lagoon with a 21st century update.

Polar- Not so much like Blizzard Beach, but more so like a Winter Wonderland North Pole type theme. Glaciers provide the back drop, we have Polar Bear AND Penguin animatronics, Beluga Whales, maybe even Santa. Much like the Rainforest, it's essentially a blank slate for the Imagineers with which they can really work their magic.

I have a few more thoughts that I might go into further details of later. But for examples of how a Disney water park should be done, look not only at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, but at Siam Park in the Canary Islands and Atlantis which certainly rival Disney in terms of theming and immersion.
                                      Last edited by DarkSideoftheMouse; 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM.
                                      sigpic
                                      Long Live the Disney Renaissance

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                        What's not lush about theming to Islands of the Caribbean c. Pirate / colonization era?

I do like your South Seas / Tiki idea though.
                                        Sorry... I was more talking about the fairytale/Nemo properties - Pirates would be a good match. I just love tikis

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X