Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Fun] Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

    A number of months back I promised my bff that I wanted to take her to Disneyland. She's never been to a Disney park and I've always wanted to repay her for always being there for me when I needed someone to talk to. We have talked about it somewhat but never scratching more than the surface of all that we want to do. I want to make a list of everything we should do in every land as well as any special things we could do as well.

    What I ask is for suggestions for magical moments or just things to do in general, which do you think are priorities and which are not. We don't yet have a set date but we're looking at next Winter as that's her favorite season. We have not planned how long she's going to stay or what kind of pass we should get her just yet, I want to see just what we can do and what kind of time frame it would require.

    What list I have so far, is essentially a list of all the attractions to be honest. I want to add to it of experiences that can be had in the various lands in addition to the attractions.

  • #2
    Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

    It's funny you posted this I'm in a similar situation. My best bud Matt has never been to a Disney Park in his life and upon hearing that (and getting over the shock lol) I invited him to come with me and my family in February. I've started to jot down some of the must haves for the trip. As for non-ride stuff to do I definitely have Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room and any shows running at the time as a high priority (Fantasmic! the Fire Works, stuff like that). On MainStreet U.S.A. Great Moments with Mister Lincoln is coming back (haven't seen that since I was like six), all the shops on Mainstreet are fun to explore, they often have things I would never think to buy. In California Adventure I tend to focus on just the rides but the Aladdin show (if it's still going on) was awesome. In any case good luck on your endeavor.
    "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
    ***Next trip to the DisneylandŽ Resort***
    ***May 9, 2012***

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

      Sorry to inform you but fantasmic will not be showing at that time the ROA will be drained.
      do not make a list of things to do that is so buisy that you end up running everywhere.
      And some of the areas will be down for referb.
      I like to go for 3 days that is enough time that we can relax and catch more things.
      besides waiting to see the characters so you can get a picture can take time.
      make a list of things to do and then be flexable.
      it is fun to go on buzz light year and see who can get the highest score.
      have fun and enjoy the time.
      you will be building memories and those are pricless.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

        Buy her a churro. Her eyes will sparkle.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

          I will be bringing my 18 year old Army officer brother for his first time in a couple weeks. To make it special, I have been making a 'zine about all the 'secrets' and facts about the rides for him. I think he is too old to really be awed by rides like Snow White's Scary Adventure (they sprayed the poor bloke with pepper spray in boot camp, fer cryin' out loud), but he will most definitely like to spy for hidden Mickeys and know about the inner-workings of the attractions.
          For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
          http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/




          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

            Originally posted by aashee View Post
            Buy her a churro. Her eyes will sparkle.
            Like your's did?


            Note:
            Not ignoring the other posts, just did a fly-by before bed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

              Originally posted by Light Mouse View Post
              Like your's did?
              It was glorious. I didn't like the chocolate dipping sauce much though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                It's funny you posted this I'm in a similar situation. My best bud Matt has never been to a Disney Park in his life and upon hearing that (and getting over the shock lol) I invited him to come with me and my family in February. I've started to jot down some of the must haves for the trip. As for non-ride stuff to do I definitely have Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room and any shows running at the time as a high priority (Fantasmic! the Fire Works, stuff like that). On MainStreet U.S.A. Great Moments with Mister Lincoln is coming back (haven't seen that since I was like six), all the shops on Mainstreet are fun to explore, they often have things I would never think to buy. In California Adventure I tend to focus on just the rides but the Aladdin show (if it's still going on) was awesome. In any case good luck on your endeavor.
                I really think any of the shows are essentials, except Play House Disney maybe. :/ As far as fireworks and Fantasmic!, I'm considering seeing if I can persuade one of my friends to stake out a spot for us. I can bribe with cookies and other sweets! I've done it before!

                The shops are fun to explore but then sometimes you just get that itch that you really want to buy something. Then when you get home and curse about how you just spent $200 on something that's going to sit in the closet for years. (I should know, I have about $700 worth of Disney merch in my closet)

                As we are both doing similar things, how are you going about making your list? I'm doing mine much like you'd do a maze, you stick to one wall and just make a note of everything along the way. Eventually you'll end up back at the turnstiles.

                I'm not going to put too much emphasis on DCA as I don't feel it has the same depth as Disneyland does. I am going to be looking into the shows especially (World of Color anyone?) but as far as rides I don't think they're going to be MUST DO's unless she really wants to.

                Good luck to you as well!





                *breaks down your post into numbered points to more easily respond to them*
                Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
                1. Sorry to inform you but fantasmic will not be showing at that time the ROA will be drained.
                2. do not make a list of things to do that is so buisy that you end up running everywhere.
                3. And some of the areas will be down for referb.
                4. I like to go for 3 days that is enough time that we can relax and catch more things.
                5. besides waiting to see the characters so you can get a picture can take time.
                6. make a list of things to do and then be flexable.
                7. it is fun to go on buzz light year and see who can get the highest score.
                8. have fun and enjoy the time. you will be building memories and those are pricless
                1. Can I ask where you got the info that the ROA will be drained? Our planned trip is Holiday 2010, not this year sadly.
                2. Trying not to, also why I wanted to spread it over a few days. I'm thinking of doing a multi-day park hopper or we may just decide an AP will be easier and more fun.
                3. Can't really tell which areas will be down til about two months before I think. I know some do go down every year but exact dates are not given just yet.
                4. Well I don't know the next time we'll have a chance to come back together so I wanted to try to fit in as much as I can within one trip.
                5. I have friends who can help with characters as far as when the best time to meet up with them are. Especially the one she'd want to meet.
                6. I am trying to make a list but don't really know what kind of order to go in yet. Do we cover it land by land, priorities? Where ever our feet take us? I'd like to have a sort of checklist so that we don't miss something, but if we don't feel like it, we didn't miss it.
                7. My average score is 500k . . . it'll be her first time. I could teach her to play!
                8. Very much so.


                Originally posted by aashee View Post
                Buy her a churro. Her eyes will sparkle.
                That's actually not a half bad idea to be honest. When I was making my list I was going around to the shops and attractions as pictured in my mind totally bypassing any of the ODV.

                Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
                To make it special, I have been making a 'zine about all the 'secrets' and facts about the rides for him. I think he is too old to really be awed by rides like Snow White's Scary Adventure (they sprayed the poor bloke with pepper spray in boot camp, fer cryin' out loud), but he will most definitely like to spy for hidden Mickeys and know about the inner-workings of the attractions.
                That's an awesome idea and something that I'd love to make. Sadly, she's more into flying off into a story than to know how they do the pepper's ghost effect. I'd love to be able to share the history of the attractions but I'd have to make it interesting in a non-technical way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                  Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
                  Sorry to inform you but fantasmic will not be showing at that time the ROA will be drained.
                  The OP said next winter, so unless the ROA are drained every winter that shouldn't be a problem.


                  Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
                  do not make a list of things to do that is so buisy that you end up running everywhere.
                  Definitely agree with that. Do some research, make a short list of must-do's, but then make sure you leave enough time to just soak everything in. The last time I was there, I rode Indy and Space Mountain 3 times each - all were fun, but it was also fantastic to just sit on a bench near ROA and just enjoy being there.
                  *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
                  *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
                  *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                    Originally posted by oo_nrb View Post
                    The OP said next winter, so unless the ROA are drained every winter that shouldn't be a problem.
                    Thank you for that but it could happen every Winter for all I know although I can't think of a reason why with the holidays being a busy time usually.


                    Definitely agree with that. Do some research, make a short list of must-do's, but then make sure you leave enough time to just soak everything in. The last time I was there, I rode Indy and Space Mountain 3 times each - all were fun, but it was also fantastic to just sit on a bench near ROA and just enjoy being there.
                    Considering different approaches but there must be sometimes where you can just sit and enjoy where you are. I think one of the best times I've had at Disneyland wasn't on a ride or watching a show but just sitting on a curb and talking with friends.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                      Originally posted by Light Mouse View Post
                      That's an awesome idea and something that I'd love to make. Sadly, she's more into flying off into a story than to know how they do the pepper's ghost effect. I'd love to be able to share the history of the attractions but I'd have to make it interesting in a non-technical way.
                      I'm not only doing tech info...I am also including rumors (*gossip*) and 'secrets'....try doing a thread search of the words "Disneyland Secrets" and you will find an abundance of lesser-known details about the parks.
                      For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                      http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/




                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                        I wouldn't put too much pressure on doing everything on a list. For the most part, when I took my friend on her first time, we winged it. If she asked for recommendations, I would give them to her, but I wanted her to fully explore the magic of Disney herself.

                        We ended up visiting most of the attractions and shows anyway. It was a really good time! And by not having the pressure of having to do EVERYTHING, we had a very relaxed time as well and were able to enjoy the little things.

                        I hope you guys have a fun time together!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                          I believe the post about ROA being drained was directed at Harrison who is going in February.

                          Let's see. Things the kid and I always do. We always have a corn dog from the Red Cart for lunch the first day. We always take a spin in a purple tea cup. We always do breakfast at Carnation Cafe. We take a picture at the court of Angels and at the Mickey Floral.

                          There are so many things we haven't done that are on our "one day" list. Billy Hill for one. Funnel cakes, character meals, silhouettes, and the Sleeping Beauty walk through.

                          I wouldn't plan it out too much either. Have some absolutely must do's and then I'd wing it from there.

                          Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.
                          ***********************************



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                            Dole Whips

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                              It depends on the person but everyone I've taken to Jedi Training Academy has liked it.
                              Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be? - hang gliding, come on!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                                Originally posted by Light Mouse View Post
                                As we are both doing similar things, how are you going about making your list? I'm doing mine much like you'd do a maze, you stick to one wall and just make a note of everything along the way. Eventually you'll end up back at the turnstiles.
                                Well for my list I'm not just thinking of my good buddy and what his interests are, I have to also think about the fact that me and my family have certain traditions that we just can't skip. An example of that is since I was about six (when I first went to Disneyland) before we left for the 6 to 9 car drive (depending on stops and traffic conditions), we would stop at McDonalds and have breakfast, it's an unhealthy tradition but a tradition none the less.

                                For the planning of the park I know when we're going and I have a general idea (based on the last few years and current reports of refurbishment) which rides / attractions may or may not be closed. I know that when I go they're doing a refurbishment on the Rivers of America so sadly no Fantasmic this year ): (my little brothers will be disappointed).

                                But when I make the list I go day by day, the first Day and the third day we will be in Disneyland Park, since I know that I can guess what lands we will visit Day One and on Day Three (more than likely we will revisit Tomorrowland, can't leave without ridding Space Mountain and Star Tours more than once, if they're open then). I also know that Day Two will most likely be entirely in Disney's California Adventure, so I can plan the attractions and rides accordingly.

                                The problem for my trip is that it is in technically the "off-season" where a lot of refurbishment takes place and every year it seems one of the gems (at least) that we all want to ride is closed for that reason, but the trade off is less crowds durring the morning to mid-afternoon.

                                My list though will go through several major revisions the closer we get to the trip itself, but as a side note one of things on the list that will not change is this, I want to drop 75 pounds before I go to the Resort, so I can properly in the rides and so that I can play with my little brothers and have the energy to keep up with them. I'm very excited for this trip and as for reaching this goal I know it's a lofty goal, but that's why I want to pursue it.
                                "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
                                ***Next trip to the DisneylandŽ Resort***
                                ***May 9, 2012***

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                                  Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
                                  Sorry to inform you but fantasmic will not be showing at that time the ROA will be drained.
                                  Yeah, I know, it's one of those things that comes with the territory of going to the park in the off season, which is why I may break the mold of my trip history and bump this years visits to two instead of just the one vacation, lol!
                                  "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
                                  ***Next trip to the DisneylandŽ Resort***
                                  ***May 9, 2012***

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                                    Thank goodness for this topic! I'm going to Disneyland with some friends in December, including my boyfriend who will be visiting the park for the first time. Now the frustrating part is that we will sadly only be spending one day there (we're not going to bother trying to fit DCA into our tight schedule), so we really have to be selective with what we want to do. I'll be sure to keep checking back to this thread for help and ideas.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                                      Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
                                      I'm not only doing tech info...I am also including rumors (*gossip*) and 'secrets'....try doing a thread search of the words "Disneyland Secrets" and you will find an abundance of lesser-known details about the parks.
                                      I already do know of many of the common "secrets" but there's always one of two that you find when you search around for them. I'll keep your idea in mind when I'm sorting out my ideas. I have a year to get everything together so surely I'd be able to I think.

                                      Originally posted by niklj View Post
                                      I wouldn't put too much pressure on doing everything on a list. For the most part, when I took my friend on her first time, we winged it. If she asked for recommendations, I would give them to her, but I wanted her to fully explore the magic of Disney herself.

                                      We ended up visiting most of the attractions and shows anyway. It was a really good time! And by not having the pressure of having to do EVERYTHING, we had a very relaxed time as well and were able to enjoy the little things.

                                      I hope you guys have a fun time together!
                                      I see where you're coming from on finding the magic yourself, I think I'm going for more of a list of extra stuff so that we don't miss something rather than we NEED to do this this and this. If we decide to not do it, it's not an important thing. Thank you btw!

                                      Originally posted by wvnative View Post
                                      I believe the post about ROA being drained was directed at Harrison who is going in February.

                                      Let's see. Things the kid and I always do. We always have a corn dog from the Red Cart for lunch the first day. We always take a spin in a purple tea cup. We always do breakfast at Carnation Cafe. We take a picture at the court of Angels and at the Mickey Floral.

                                      I wouldn't plan it out too much either. Have some absolutely must do's and then I'd wing it from there.
                                      Makes sense about the ROA comment.

                                      Corn dogs are essentials . . . except that from what I've heard they'be changed. I had one a few weeks ago and noticed their change, doesn't quite have that same flavor either. Maybe . . . maybe.

                                      The teacups are a required attraction but I need to get in another friend with us for that (I do pretty well with spinning the cups but if you have two people the weight gets pulled to the sides and you don't go as fast. If you have three people it balances it more. While four just makes it too heavy and hard to spin with legs in the way.)

                                      Carnation Cafe . . . I've always heard great things about that place but I've never gone. Not too much of a fan of breakfast, especially having to wake up at 5:30 to get it. :/

                                      In my mind I ever went through that area and didn't think about taking pictures in front of the floral. I was thinking of what characters might be out and about and you really can't rely much on that. I think that the Courtyard of Angels will be turned into the extended holiday shop at that time. Sads.

                                      Originally posted by wvnative View Post
                                      Billy Hill for one. Funnel cakes, character meals, silhouettes, and the Sleeping Beauty walk through.
                                      Billy Hill is already on the list, the inside show and outside. Funnel cakes are required. Not much of a fan of character meals. Silhouettes, meh, I'm cheap and can make them at home. :P Sleeping Beauty Walk Through is another required attraction. I don't remember ever going up there before they shut it down. When I went up when they reopened it I totally feel in love with it.

                                      Originally posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
                                      Dole Whips
                                      Already on the list as the first thing to do when walking into Adventureland.
                                      Originally posted by Excerpt from my current list
                                      Adventureland:
                                      • Enchanted Tiki Room
                                        - Regardless of the weather, I think a Dole whip is always in order.


                                      Originally posted by marqueemark View Post
                                      It depends on the person but everyone I've taken to Jedi Training Academy has liked it.
                                      Hmmm not quite sure if my friend would like it. We could watch it while eating lunch one day so we don't waste too much time if she's not a fan of it. Even so, it's only what, 20 minutes?




                                      *breaks down your post into smaller chunks*
                                      Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                                      Well for my list I'm not just thinking of my good buddy and what his interests are, I have to also think about the fact that me and my family have certain traditions that we just can't skip. An example of that is since I was about six (when I first went to Disneyland) before we left for the 6 to 9 car drive (depending on stops and traffic conditions), we would stop at McDonalds and have breakfast, it's an unhealthy tradition but a tradition none the less.
                                      You know, that's not a half bad idea (totally conflicts with another response up above, I know). Her internal clock will be off and will be thinking more along the lines of lunch by the time we get there in the morning. Maybe a cinnamon roll somewhere? Or we could go to Norms!

                                      We could start traditions but I don't know the next time we'd have an opportunity like this again.

                                      Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                                      For the planning of the park I know when we're going and I have a general idea (based on the last few years and current reports of refurbishment) which rides / attractions may or may not be closed. I know that when I go they're doing a refurbishment on the Rivers of America so sadly no Fantasmic this year ): (my little brothers will be disappointed).
                                      Do you know of where I could find info on annual refurbs? I'd be hurt if we couldn't watch Fantasmic! It's been going for over 10 years and it's still an amazing show regardless of how many times I've seen it.

                                      Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                                      But when I make the list I go day by day, the first Day and the third day we will be in Disneyland Park, since I know that I can guess what lands we will visit Day One and on Day Three (more than likely we will revisit Tomorrowland, can't leave without ridding Space Mountain and Star Tours more than once, if they're open then). I also know that Day Two will most likely be entirely in Disney's California Adventure, so I can plan the attractions and rides accordingly.
                                      Hmm . . . good idea. I know there will be rides she'll want to ride again just to take in the atmosphere. She likes story telling and enjoying things for what they are rather than racing through as much as they can.

                                      If you have time, DCA is worthwhile for some of the smaller things. Like I love the factory tours, not because of the free sample but because I love technical stuff like that.

                                      Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                                      The problem for my trip is that it is in technically the "off-season" where a lot of refurbishment takes place and every year it seems one of the gems (at least) that we all want to ride is closed for that reason, but the trade off is less crowds durring the morning to mid-afternoon.
                                      I believe there will be rain as well which will help weed out much of the crowd. As far as trade-offs, do you want everything to be open or do you want crowds? Sometimes it's a hard choice.

                                      Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                                      My list though will go through several major revisions the closer we get to the trip itself, but as a side note one of things on the list that will not change is this, I want to drop 75 pounds before I go to the Resort, so I can properly in the rides and so that I can play with my little brothers and have the energy to keep up with them. I'm very excited for this trip and as for reaching this goal I know it's a lofty goal, but that's why I want to pursue it.
                                      Heh . . . I have a similar goal. I can get through the day just find and can get into the rides without a problem. I just *pokes stomach fat* don't like that. I don't quite have to keep up with younger children but looking at pictures of myself I'm often :X "I look like that!?" 5'6 180lbs. (last time I checked) which is overweight and right on the edge of obese.

                                      I wish you luck in your goal but it's a difficult one to be honest. Keep pushing and take this quote to mind, "Aim for the moon because even if you miss you'll still land in the stars."

                                      Originally posted by Rhubarb View Post
                                      Thank goodness for this topic! I'm going to Disneyland with some friends in December, including my boyfriend who will be visiting the park for the first time. Now the frustrating part is that we will sadly only be spending one day there (we're not going to bother trying to fit DCA into our tight schedule), so we really have to be selective with what we want to do. I'll be sure to keep checking back to this thread for help and ideas.
                                      You know, because of your post, I'm going to add the list that I'm making to the top post. I'll add everyone's suggestions but I'll highlight the things that I want to do so I can go back later and easily make my own list.

                                      I agree with your not trying to fit DCA in. To me, DCA isn't worth the money or the hassle if you only have one day to spend there. One time when my family came and Disneyland was starting to turn people away, we were told that we could still visit DCA. We left, we came to go to Disneyland not an overflow park.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Introducing someone to Disneyland - Best Friend Edition

                                        Well, when one of my very good friends took me to DL for the first time, it went pretty well. About two years later I was an AP and constant micechat reader. Some key things
                                        -He established the history and showed me micechat beforehand. I learned the stories and culture and became totally amazing by the possibilities.
                                        -I read MouseTales and it really helped me understand more things about the park and what goes on.
                                        -As far as the actual visit, stick to the basics at first then go into the more unknown attractions after he/she is hooked. let it flow naturally, DL is the amazing place it is for a reason.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X