Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's holding TDR from having a "Haunted" event like Knott's?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What's holding TDR from having a "Haunted" event like Knott's?

So, after finishing my tenth year as a monster at Knott's Scary Farm this past Halloween night, I promptly visited Disneyland the very next night with some friends to see the final night of Halloween Time. Though the decorations seemed minimal, I was absolutely blown away by Ghost Galaxy. Not so much the ride itself (which was cool, dont get me wrong), but more so the effects that were projected onto the external show building, along with the sounds to go with it. I was amazed and couldn't stop watching how intense the effects were (my favorite was when the building starts to crack). The outside of the ride, alone, was scary and I can only imagine that there were a few hundred children during GG's run that had to get out of the line, just because of a few lights and sounds.

This, of course, lead me to thinking why TDR doesn't have an actual scary Halloween event, especially with two parks. I can only imagine how insanely amazing the themeing and costumes would be.

It does seem to me that TDR is somewhat "testing the waters" with GG. But seriously, what's keeping them from keeping Disneyland open for more of a Halloween themeing towards the young and young at heart while making DCA a more frightening experience at night during the Halloween season?
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Re: What's holding TDR from having a "Haunted" event like Knott's?

I think that's just it. While Knott's has the market at "Scary" Halloween, there's a whole other family market out there that needs to be taken care of.

While the young and young at heart are more than welcome the down the street theme park, Families travel from all over for a fun and family friendly event. Guests know that Disney will only provide wholesome entertainment for children, and are relaxed in making a visit to either DCA or DL.
    sigpic

Comment

I still think they're passing up a HUGE opportunity, though, especially with the liberty of having two parks.
      "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
      1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Autopsy View Post
        This, of course, lead me to thinking why TDR doesn't have an actual scary Halloween event ...........
        "Event" .. as in - After-hours one or two night special Halloween event for adults?

Or .. if you are speaking ... the whole Halloween season .. the simply reason is:

Disneyland (and even DCA to a point) attract families. Families with little ones who would be too frightened by "scarier" Halloween images.

Knott's Halloween events attract the teens, 20/somethings .. 30/somethings .. etc.

You don't see kids under the age of 12 at Knott's Scary Farm. I've done the Knott's Halloween thing roughly a half dozen times now ... and I think it just comes down to the kinds of parks Knotts vs. DLR are ... and the difference is ........ teen/20s park in Buena Park ...... vs. the FAMILY FRIENDLY park in Anaheim.

Knott's has an image .. where they can swing both ways ... from family friendly to scary during the Halloween season.

But think about DL's "image" for a minute. Scary, ghoolie imagery in the "Happy Kingdom" just don't mix. It's a clash of styles that don't fit right with each other.

With DLR's image ... the farthest they should go - is the "cute" factor.

After all these years ... notice how there's not one attraction centered around one of Disney's villains? Even Snow White's Scary Adventures - the ride is centered around Snow White ... with the scary witch as the "secondary" protagonist. Where every ride that has any villain that plays a "supporting" role in any attraction .. gets theirs in the end.

Knott's has a design with they can mix it up anyway they want.

Disney on the other hand .... has built a reputation for the last 6 decades ........ where the careful "family friendly" themes permeate through the whole park's design.
        Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

^ Things can always change, y'know.

In all honesty, Hong Kong has the most "adult" oriented halloween itinerary out of all the disney parks. I mean just check out these commercials for goodness sake!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Bh0gLaVQw&feature=related]YouTube - Hong Kong Disneyland-2007???????Haunted Hotel[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfpZbvHG5AE&feature=related]YouTube - ??????? 2008 Haunted Halloween[/ame]

And notice how all of this is accomplished without a single drop of gore or lust, something that positively gushes from any other halloween event. So It's not like Disney's never done haunted mazes and attractions before, I think it's just a matter of waiting for the right time to bring this type of disney entertainment stateside. Right now, this isn't it. As it's been said, Disney has that "image" here that won't allow them to go all out yet. With the gradual integration of "harder" scares coming in (ghost galaxy) over the next few years, who knows how long it will be till we can get our pants scared off inside the Disneyland Resort. But I really do think it's coming.......eventually. :/

Comment

By the way TDR means Tokyo Disney Resort.

Comment

Oh, please, no...

I hate those events, and am too scared to go to them. I really appreciate that Disneyland has a family-friendly event. I think having an event for older individuals instead of a family event will defeat the idea of Disneyland as a place for the whole family.

Comment

^ Again, there's that "image" that's going to have to be broken in order to grow into something better.

Comment

I personally think Disney should do this because it's only 1 month out of the year. Ghost Galaxy was a great concept that they should explore and expand further. There is a way to cater to the Scary Farm age group without actually having all the gore and unfriendly elements, Space Mountain handled this amazingly well.

Comment

Personally, i would like to see DCA turned into a more "scary" Halloween Event on nights that do not host the Trick or Treat party except the last week of October, leading up to Halloween. I'm not talking about major scary or anything like Knotts with blood and gore and lust, but like a few dark areas with super bright lights and some fog to go around. Mazes would work if they were oriented around Disney dont' you think?! Like;

Oogey Boogeys Chaotic Nightmare or
                    Maleficents Dungen of Doom or
                    The Twilight Zone something something, i don't know, but mazes that aren't really really intense would be pretty cool to have at DCA.

And they can have "ghosts" (scareactors) walking around, scaring the older kids and giving high fives to younger kids that go or something.

That would be fun (:
                    Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

Comment

Hong Kong Disneyland has found success in doing the "scary but not gory" Halloween events for the past few years... Disney can pull it off, they just won't because of that "image" they refuse to break out of. I'd love to see Disney go for a scary atmosphere at DCA.. maybe have actors on Grizzly River Run and have a maze through Redwood Creek? Hollywood's got two empty buildings perfect for mazes too.

Comment

i don't see Disney getting into a more teen or adult oriented event because of the amount of competition in the area. Knott's is the king of Halloween and only several more more away there is universal.

I would like to see TDA expand the idea they brought forward with ghost galaxy though. Something that add a bit of a scare factor but without the grotesque bloody side.

Along with the very popular ghost galaxy TOT could easily get some added effects and sound both within the ride experience as well as in the queue area.

Paradise Pier is in desperate need of a funhouse but until that happens they could easily add a seasonal maze or huanted hotel walkthrough. The entrance could be placed somewhere near the boardwalk with the walkthrough built backstage. Something similar to what Hong Kong does.

Grizzley peak pass which is a nice secluded walkway could also become a temporary seasonal area for both Halloween and even Christmas.

Hopefully as they expand the holiday events they consider additions like these that could definately bring in the age group that they have been hoping to get

Comment

Yeah, why couldn't DCA just close at 6 or something in October and have a kid friendly halloween party for children on some nights and then have a scary tween/teen/adult haunt on the other nights. Don't even touch Disneyland besides the seasonal overlays.

Comment

Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
                            Oh, please, no...

I hate those events, and am too scared to go to them. I really appreciate that Disneyland has a family-friendly event. I think having an event for older individuals instead of a family event will defeat the idea of Disneyland as a place for the whole family.

I agree with you. I don't like these events either. I'm one person that don't like scary movies and stuff that will scare anyone. This is also why other then Fantasmic you never see Maleficent out for Halloween she is to scary for the little kids and they don't want the kids to get so scare that they would run out and who knows what would happen. I like Disney's Halloween stuff like it is now a friendly Halloween. I never was on Space Mt. but I was on the outside and from hearing all the noise that ride was doing I really didn't like it. It was scary for me. I still hear it all the way to Small World. So I don't want Disney to become Scaryland.

Comment

Maybe something spooky-spoofy, in the same nature as the Haunted Mansion, could work. Something with a bit of a scary factor, but with a lighthearted edge.

Please no "Haunted Maze/House" type set-ups anywhere in the Resort. In my personal opinion, spook houses are extremely cheap and tacky, gore or no gore. I can go get spooked around Halloween five minutes away from my house. Why would I waste my time doing that at Disneyland?
                              "I can stand the sight of worms,
                              and look at microscopic germs,
                              but technicolor pachyderms
                              are really too much for me."

Comment

I really wish they would branch out into something like this... There is a way to do it and a way not to do it when it comes to the "disney image"... but the perfect setting would obviously be DCA as its the second park and that way it would not inrude on the happier festivities at Disneyland... Also DCA has some more real estate for use to hold mazes in and a more natural setting in some parts for fog and stuff.

Now, this is purely armchair imagineering but if I was to hold an event with a little more of a "scare" factor I would first not even think of marketing it as anything to compete with Knotts or any of the other events! This would be marketed as a more fun but spooky family friendly alternative to places like Knotts!

Having said that, I would take some inspiration from mazes at Knotts and the overall event and have a nightfall type of thing at DCA.... like included with the regular DCA admission, you get the spooktactular event for the whole family [it gives an incentive for people to go to DCA over Disneyland]

by night, DCA would keep its normal festivities and it would close for the special ticketed events but the only difference in the overall park would be some extra theatrical lighting to give the park an eerier effect [nothing too scary but something festive]

A few mazes would be added to parts of the park... Now obviusly since its Disney the "scare Factor" would not be on par with Knotts but the mazes would focus more on setting, story, and be more or less like walking through a live dark ride except with a few live actors inside causing some spooks... The places they could utilize mazes would be the Millionaire building, The Hollywood and Dine building, a portion of the Hyperions outer que, and the area by Soarin's extended que.

Now the mazes wouldnt be anything too wild or scary but they would be based off Disney themes like The Cave of Wonders inhabited by the thieves, Alice's hedge maze escaping the playing cards, Maleficents dungeon from Sleeping Beauty, Hades underworld, Shan Yu's great wall maze of huns, Monsters Inc monsters scaring you to bring the scream levels up in Monstropolis, Ursula's grotto, Captain Hooks pirate ship, or many other themes that could work... and at the end of the maze theres a good photo op with the Disney Villan or Characters who were part of the maze.

Now the mazes would not have blood or gore, but they would focus on those startles like people hiding behind corners and popping out, some of the darker parts of the Disney movies, and the loud noises to spook in an eerie way and not terrify! If done right, this could be really popular and also family friendly enough for guests age 6 or 7+ and even the whole family.

They could even take Grizzly trail and post some signs to notify people that fog and eerie spooks will roam the small area there and since its like its own little trail area it could serve as a scare zone and those who dont want to participate in the scare zone have plenty of ways to walk around it and not participate.

Then they could leave the photo ops with characters, the trick or treating for the young ones, and they could even have a halloween parade that glows in the dark... more or less it should be about making it festive and spooky with enough fun startles that are all in good fun... but making it too "scary" would not really work with the whole Disney image. I think they need to find the perfect balance and harmony with it! Wet N Wild had a Fear Fest type of thing and their mazes had no blood and gore and had enough startles and scares to make it fun and very family oriented... I think if Disney was to get some ideas from our waterpark here in Phoenix they could pull off something family oriented and still spooky!
                                Add me... I dont bite LOL!
                                http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
                                http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

^ You sir, have got the right idea.

And I think I understood you when you said all halloween festivities should be included with normal DCA admission, right? If so, then yes, I completely agree with you. However, knowing disney.....they would make it a hard ticket :/

Comment

I like the idea of the mazes with the villains at DCA. Or some minor overlays on a few of the rides.

One idea is to warn parents that some areas are scary and make sure they are clearly marked, but they could also sell a special glowing 'pendent of protection' that kids could wear that would mean that they would be off limits to scares. That way Disney could make more money too.

I think the Villain overlay to CA Screaming would also be cool if they could construct some temporary tunnels to hold some effects. If designed right they could switch it over only for the parties too.

Comment

^ Ha! ) I like that idea!

$5.00 a pop for your "magical scare shield'!

Comment

^^^ I seriously would LOVE that idea!
                                        Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X