This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Badly Estimated Wait Times

Does it bug anyone else when the signs at the beginning of the queue are way off on the actual time? Obviously this is mainly when they underestimate it, because when you get on faster it's really like a pleasant surprise. But generally on Indy, SM, Star Tours, and occasionally Autopia you end up waiting longer, throwing your carefully thought out schedule() off.
    https://twitter.com/ajcurry_

Re: Badly Estimated Wait Times

Well, it's pretty hard to determine how long the line is exactly.

Thats why certain rides have ways to see how long the wait is.

Indy has those red cards on laynards that is scanned at the front of the entrance and given to guests in the stand-by or fastpass lines. They then give it to the CM that loads them on to the vehicle and they can know how long they waited.

Others would have the wait time cards that CMs have to write the times.

The best they can do is to give you an estimate on the wait time.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Comment

i'm glad i'm not the only one who likes carefully thought out plans

but yeah i know what you mean
      i think star tours is kinda the worse though
      cause when it doesn't have a line
      the time would say 5 minutes
      but you're still kinda in line
      and then the pre-boarding video
      and it's counting down
      making you feel like you're waiting longer

i think i'm just rambling
      Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
      You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
      Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Gadget's Go Coaster was a walk on yesterday and had a posted wait of 20 minutes... Roger Rabbit's makes you feel like it takes forever when no one is in line.
        WELCOME ABOARD
        THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

In defense of Disneyland CMs, I have seen guests (usually teens) adjusting the manually operated wait time markers (such as the one at Mr. Toads) as a prank. I saw one kid change the wait time from 10 minutes to 60 minutes one day. I asked him why and he politely explained that if other guests saw a 60 minute wait time, they would avoid the line rather than wait. This would allow he and his friends to stroll back on multiple times with virtually no wait time at all. I nodded, and then reset the dial myself for the accurate 10 minutes.
          First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
          First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
          BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Originally posted by I.M. Loco View Post
            Does it bug anyone else when the signs at the beginning of the queue are way off on the actual time?

But generally on Indy, SM, Star Tours, and occasionally Autopia you end up waiting longer, throwing your carefully thought out schedule() off.

That is why they are referred to as "estimated" times... No guarantee's.

When we are at the Park, we are on "Disneyland time". Schedule's are for work, not our leisure time!

Comment

If this isn't a badly estimated wait time, IDK what is!

Comment

no, it dosen't bother me, but I can remember the days when there were no wait times posted.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                  no, it dosen't bother me, but I can remember the days when there were no wait times posted.
                  As mentioned
                  it's a estimated time
                  and it doesn't bother me.
                  I personally think they should get rid of the signs.
                  Quote by Al:
                  To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                  -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
                    i'm glad i'm not the only one who likes carefully thought out plans

but yeah i know what you mean
                    i think star tours is kinda the worse though
                    cause when it doesn't have a line
                    the time would say 5 minutes
                    but you're still kinda in line
                    and then the pre-boarding video
                    and it's counting down
                    making you feel like you're waiting longer

i think i'm just rambling
                    Just subtract a minute and 10 seconds from the counting down time and that is actually how long you have to wait before the doors open

Comment

While we're on the subject of wait times, I honestly wish that they would post the wait time, adding in the length of time it takes to enjoy the attraction from beginning to end. With preshows and attractions being longer than they seem from the exterior, this would help people with planning or meeting up with a group later.

They could possibly put times in the park guide as well, such as "Splash Mountain: 8 minutes, Autopia: 7 minutes" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikInTheCity View Post
                        While we're on the subject of wait times, I honestly wish that they would post the wait time, adding in the length of time it takes to enjoy the attraction from beginning to end. With preshows and attractions being longer than they seem from the exterior, this would help people with planning or meeting up with a group later.

They could possibly put times in the park guide as well, such as "Splash Mountain: 8 minutes, Autopia: 7 minutes" etc.
                        (Someone correct me if wrong...cause I might be)They can't post ride length times b/c it can be manipulated. The days that they are busier, some rides (such as water rides) they can decrease the ride time by speeding up the ride. Doombuggies can also be speed up a bit.
                        Quote by Al:
                        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                          (Someone correct me if wrong...cause I might be)They can't post ride length times b/c it can be manipulated. The days that they are busier, some rides (such as water rides) they can decrease the ride time by speeding up the ride. Doombuggies can also be speed up a bit.
                          To my knowledge the only thing "sped up" is the station itself (as in shorter dispatch intervals and less time to load/unload)... with the exception of places like Jungle where the individual ride operators can control the physical speed of the vehicles...

As far as wait times... they can be notoriously inaccurate. Partially because it is almost impossible to accurately estimate some attractions, and partially because it requires a "spare" CM to update the wait times. For some reason they never made the update locations easily accessible. For example Indy's update pc is in the Fastpass... which is great... except when you drop Fastpass or never pick it up then someone at Greeter needs to walk over and change it. Which means one person has to handle height checks plus Fastpass validation... :blink: Gotta love it when the powers that be make decisions like that.
                          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
                            In defense of Disneyland CMs, I have seen guests (usually teens) adjusting the manually operated wait time markers (such as the one at Mr. Toads) as a prank. I saw one kid change the wait time from 10 minutes to 60 minutes one day. I asked him why and he politely explained that if other guests saw a 60 minute wait time, they would avoid the line rather than wait. This would allow he and his friends to stroll back on multiple times with virtually no wait time at all. I nodded, and then reset the dial myself for the accurate 10 minutes.
                            How kind of you :thumbup:
                            "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." :ghug:

The Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by ErikInTheCity View Post
                              Just ask the CMs of the attraction. They should know the cycle times of their attractions. For example, Golden Zephyr is 1 minute, 28 seconds. ...I think. TSMM is... ummm... well somewhere between 6 and 7 minutes. I should know this.

Inaccurate wait times for the queues are dependent on a few things. The greeter out front may not be changing it accordingly. Some don't feel like it and would rather just tell you the wait time when you ask. Sometimes there's no number between the "30" and the "40" on the wait time sign. Sometimes there is no one to adjust the wait time because the greeter position is not staffed. And sometimes the time may change while you are in line because something happened to reduce ride capacity while you were waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by rollrcostrfrk807 View Post
                                Just subtract a minute and 10 seconds from the counting down time and that is actually how long you have to wait before the doors open
                                ok the first time i read that i added instead of subtracted
                                but i got it now :thumbup:
                                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                                Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Screamin has had 30 mins wait and we wait less than 15 mins, those Estates can always be wrong for me and I wont care.
                                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

What's worse is when the park information wait time board is off. I walked past it yesterday and it said Indy was 15 minutes, and the actual Indy sign said 30 minutes. The 30 minutes was correct though, since only one side of the station was running, which basically means that the normal 10 minute wait from film is at least 20 minutes.

Keep in mind though, when a guest is sent through with a time card, then the resulting time will be off by that much.

So if it takes the guest 20 minutes to get to the groupers, but 10 minutes earlier Fantasmic got out, then the line might be 40 minutes from Fantasmic viewers entering the line once they get the result from the guest with the card......I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Would you prefer a wait sign with not enough wait time, or too much? I feel if they give you longer you feel better because it hasnt taken as long.
                                      "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." :ghug:

The Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMickey View Post
                                        That is why they are referred to as "estimated" times... No guarantee's.

When we are at the Park, we are on "Disneyland time". Schedule's are for work, not our leisure time!
                                        Amen to that. Just enjoy the happiness.
                                        Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X