This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Disneyland's Past

Hello everyone. I love looking at old pics people post up. It shows me parts of Disneyland that don't exist anymore or maybe I was young and vaguely remember from the early 90s.

Well I want to see if people could share pics of anything from the park that they may own like old maps, pics of places in the park that aren't there anymore, videos that show how the park once was. On a previous thread I saw pictures posted of Fantasyland pre-1983 refurbishment and was amazed at just how drastic the landscape became. Seeing as I have only been around for 22 years of the park's existence I know I have missed tons and really enjoy seeing everyone's pictures, stories, videos, etc. of how the park was (which have included alternate costumes of characters, rides, or even characters that just aren't out anymore).

This is here for anyone that would love to share memories of things that just aren't anymore for the sake of nostalgia and to inform people like me that just didn't have the luck to see places of the park (i.e. people mover, the tahitian terrace- i think that's what it is called- and any other aspect of the park).

Let the nostalgia begin!
    "I did do the nasty in the pasty" -Philip J. Fry

Re: Disneyland's Past

Here is me in Tomorrowland in 1962. The Skyway is there and they are the older, rounder buckets.

Here are some of the older Autopia cars. Yeah, I know. Great hair! (This picture was used about 6 times in the 50th Celebration Photomosaic pictures they put up around the Park.)

If I find some more, I'll post them later. Great thread!
    sigpic
    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

I had to add this. The Keel Boats were my favorite ride. My co-author, Dave, used to be a pilot on them. That is where we met, actually... Anyway, this also shows the Burning Settler's Cabin when it was actually burning!
      sigpic
      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post

WOW!! Is it me or does the area around the cabin look A LOT more lush than it does now?!?! When the Rivers of Americal are drained next year, I want much more and advanced animals and scenes, and if possible, plant more plants around the island so it looks as nice as this! Maybe take out some of the large shrubs and add little patches of grass like this.

Comment

The Keel Boats... were these located where they load people for Fantasmic? I never had even heard of them. What were they for?

Comment

The Keel Boats were another type of watercraft that circulated Tom Sawyer's Island. You can see one of the Keels in the photo of the Burning Cabin above. Before Fantasmic!, the rafts would depart from over by the Twain dock to get to the Isalnd. The Keel Boats would load and unload at the present rafts dock I believe. After awhile, the Keel Boats started seeing wear and tear and after a couple sinkings, Disney got rid of them. There were 2 Keels. The Bertha Mae and the Gullywumper. The Gullywumper was used as scenery for around the Island up until a couple of months ago. You can now see it sitting backstage along the tram route. And one more fact, both Keel Boats were actual props from the Davy Crockett TV series.

Comment

More info on the Keel Boats:

Keel Boats, Rafts, and Fowler's Harbor photos
              Mike Fink Keel Boats at Yesterland
              Mike Fink Keel Boat Accident

There are tons of old photos of Disneyland and many sites and blogs with great information about the park's history.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                More info on the Keel Boats:

Keel Boats, Rafts, and Fowler's Harbor photos
                Mike Fink Keel Boats at Yesterland
                Mike Fink Keel Boat Accident

There are tons of old photos of Disneyland and many sites and blogs with great information about the park's history.
                yeah I noticed that right after I made this thread there was one just like it. I like seeing the old photos and my mom has plenty of her on the skyway, but it seems that was her favorite part of the park back in the day since most of the ones are of her in the front of the park or on the skyway.

Comment

Skyway was a great people-watching ride, and the view of Fantasyland at night was colorful and beautiful.

I only went on the Keel Boats once and I thought it wasn't as good as the other ways to go on the river. Mark Twain was the best because we could go all over the boat, run up and down the stairs, look from one side, go to the other side for different things to see, watch the paddlewheel in the back... the boat itself was half the show. In the Keel Boats you were packed in next to strangers, like a bunch of refugees... not that fun.
                  Last edited by Bob Weaver; 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

OP: Click on YESTERLAND you'll be so happy.

Comment

Now, now, don't be messing with my Keel Boats! ROFL! If you had a good pilot, the ride was hilarious. Little known fact: The keel boats were not on a track. the pilot had to steer them with the big rudder off the back. At night, the pilot had to use one hand to hold the microphone for his spiel, one hand on the spot light to show what he was talking about, and one hand...I mean, use his rear end to steer the boat! Not being on a track, the pilot had a lot of freedom of movement. Dave used to like to steer the boat close by Tom Sawyer's Island near that last big bend before you near the Mark Twain dock. He would stop the boat and try and get the kids to wade on out to the boat telling them it was only a couple of inches deep. (He was never successful, by the way.)

The Bertha Mae was sold on eBay a couple of years ago for $15,000. Yes, I bid on it....

The original Keel Boat dock is now the smoking section near the berthing spot for either the Mark Twain or the Columbia.

Ok, this next part is marketing, so don't read any further if you don't want to see it: The Keel Boats play a big part in my new novel, Hidden Mickey. It is a tribute to my co-author Dave who was the pilot I mentioned, and a tribute to the ride itself - which is sorely missed by yours truly!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                        OP: Click on YESTERLAND you'll be so happy.

I love yesterland! That's how I found this place. One day i just started clicking on the other links and discovered this place after being on Yesterland for a while

Comment

Thanks... I guess I should have given the Keel Boat more chance... I think I only went on it once.

Comment

Thanks... I guess I should have given the Keel Boat more chance... I think I only went on it once.
                            Hey, Bob, I just read a lot of the Mine Train Memories. Great stuff in there! Daveland has such wonderful pictures of the Park, too. Thanks for posting the link.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks... I'm working on another one, about Adventure thru Inner Space. That and the Mine Train are my 2 most missed attractions. So can you do your Keel Boat spiel for us?

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
                                I love yesterland! That's how I found this place. One day i just started clicking on the other links and discovered this place after being on Yesterland for a while
                                same here Hi im scary. (audience) NO YOUR NOT!
                                ok ok so im not that scary but I am Scary Scott,
                                I joined mice chat because of yesterland too!
                                I am Scary Scott,
                                Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                                I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                                Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                                Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                                Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                                Originally posted by Karalora
                                This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                                Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                                Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

For anyone interested, there are tons of vintage pictures of the Jungle Cruise in today's Weekend Update article.

Comment

Thanks... I'm working on another one, about Adventure thru Inner Space. That and the Mine Train are my 2 most missed attractions. So can you do your Keel Boat spiel for us?
                                    ....I just did. What did you think?

I should write it down sometime. I have the CM packet with the original words...somewhere in my huge box in the scary closet...

I can actually remember some of the spiel for things on the Island that aren't there any more, like the Injun Burial Ground where they buried the V-8. (There was a blanket-wrapped body up on a platform) Then there was the Two Sisters Falls - that's because they were always babbling.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                                      ....I just did. What did you think?

I should write it down sometime. I have the CM packet with the original words...somewhere in my huge box in the scary closet...

I can actually remember some of the spiel for things on the Island that aren't there any more, like the Injun Burial Ground where they buried the V-8. (There was a blanket-wrapped body up on a platform) Then there was the Two Sisters Falls - that's because they were always babbling.
                                      To HiddenMickeyBook and Bob Weaver... I'm mailing a letter to Tony Baxter this weekend, asking him if he could bring back the Keel Boats while the Rivers go down for refurbishment next year.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                                        To HiddenMickeyBook and Bob Weaver... I'm mailing a letter to Tony Baxter this weekend, asking him if he could bring back the Keel Boats while the Rivers go down for refurbishment next year.
                                        WOOHOO !!! You just became my favorite....

hope you aren't kidding.... I always get my hopes up. lol

I heard the remaining Keel Boat is backstage for 'refurbishments'. I just hope the word 'refurbishments' isn't Disneyese for 'turning into firewood'.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X