X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random Facts

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Steve, what fuel do the trains use?
    They were originally fueled with No. 2 "Red" diesel oil (the "red" indicated that the fuel was dyed red because road-use taxes didn't need to be paid). This was essentially the same stuff that you get at the gas station (except red colored).

Then, in January 2007, the trains were switched over to run on "B98" biodiesel (98% soybean oil, 2% regular diesel). But there were problems with storing this fuel, so a short time later, they went back to No. 2 Red. Then, last year, Disney started recycling its used cooking oil. An outside company reformualtes this cooking oil into the biodiesel the trains run on today.

Comment

Thanks.

About the helicopters seen recently, I'd be very surprised if they were anything other than emergency flights (LifeFlight, etc.) Here's an article:

NO-FLY ZONES SHIELD DISNEY'S RESORTS

Comment

Thanks.

About the helicopters seen recently, I'd be very surprised if they were anything other than emergency flights (LifeFlight, etc.) Here's an article:

NO-FLY ZONES SHIELD DISNEY'S RESORTS
        Thanks for the info. Like I said, it was very curious (in the words of Alice). And, to have it happen twice, was strange. I had assumed it was a tour of some sort, but lifeflight makes more sense. Of course, we wouldn't hear anything about serious injuries in the park or would they have been outside the park?

Comment

I don't know, but Disneyland has been criticized in the past for not allowing EMTs from public agencies into the park fast enough. Disneyland has their own staff of EMTs now, behind the First Aid station. They are able to drive a guest to U.C. Irvine Medical Center.

When the helicopter flights landed at Disneyland, the first two locations for the helipad were just east of Tomorrowland, so I don't see how guests in Tomorrowand could have not seen or heard the huge noisy helicopters used then.

This photo shows a helicopter landing virtually right outside the berm from Tomorrowland:

This photo shows the heliport "check-in gate" and the Tomorrowland station of the Skyway:

These locations were used from approximately 1955 to 1960, and in 1960 the heliport was moved to a location to the west of the Disneyland Hotel. Presumably that was far away enough that guests inside the park would not see or hear the helicopters. That location lasted until 1968, when the 2 crashes resulted in the end of helicopter flights to Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
            One attraction was so popular when it opened that Walt charged more than an E-ticket to see it.

-The Enchanted Tiki Room-
            I believe the cash price to see the show was ninety cents.

Comment

The skull above the skeleton in the bed near the beginning of POTC is an actual human skull

This is about as true as Walt being frozen. I have personally touched said skull, and I assure everyone that it is not from a real human. I have heard this urban legend many many times before, but it's been a while til now!

May I also say that Steve DeGaetano is an awesome source of information! Great posts!

Comment

When the Jungle Cruise was built, they used a lot of plastic plants to make up for the lack of real vegetation. Sometime about 1989 or so they finally removed the last of the plastic plants because the planted ones had grown enough. I remember reading a short article about it in the L.A. Times around that time. Now all the trees and plants you see are natural.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

But it is always worth a try to score a ride, so it never hurts to ask!
                  And even if they say "no" come back and ask again later!

Only two people can fit up there so don't bring a whole group. They also usually have to go refill the water before you can ride, so you may end up waiting a long time because you have to wait for that train to come back, but it's seriously worth it. Also, the conductors are amazing and will talk to you and explain things to you the entire time. I had a blast riding up there and hope to do it again on my next trip!

And speaking of trains, I also want to ride on the opposite end of the train too. Is it true you can ride on the Lilly Belle? I've heard mixed answers.

Comment

When the Jungle Cruise was built, they used a lot of plastic plants to make up for the lack of real vegetation. Sometime about 1989 or so they finally removed the last of the plastic plants because the planted ones had grown enough. I remember reading a short article about it in the L.A. Times around that time. Now all the trees and plants you see are natural.
                    There's a rumor that they also pulled up some oranges trees and replanted them, roots sticking up, to resemble exotic trees.
                    Can anyone confirm that? It seems pretty unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
                      There's a rumor that they also pulled up some oranges trees and replanted them, roots sticking up, to resemble exotic trees.
                      Can anyone confirm that? It seems pretty unlikely.
                      I've heard that myself and have been wondering that too, I myself don't think it's true, but hey, who knows I mean it is Disneyland were talking about, so who knows
                      Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Comment

There was a breathing apparatus inside of the Bank of Main Street safe in case of a robbery, the tellers could lock themselves inside and wait it out with enough air. Of course this just happened to come with the safe since it was an authentic safe and not a feature Disney actually requested. I haven't checked if its still their or not.

Micenation

Comment

I have a feeling this thread is full of misinformation! ha!

Comment

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
                              I have a feeling this thread is full of misinformation! ha!
                              lol me too. :P

Comment

- the dumbo ride was first conceived as "Pink Elephants on Parade" and was to consist of all pink elephants, like the ones Dumbo envisions in his nightmare in the movie. Walt changed his mind, however, when he realized that it might look like was encouraging kids to drink alcohol.

- during prime meal hours, when the self-serve food operations are at the busiest, the lines on the left side tend to be shorter.

-by request of the Anahiem Fire Department, Pirates of the Caribbean is equipped with a system that, in the event of an actual fire, automatically shuts down the authentic "burning town" effect at the end of the ride, so that firefights can pinpoint the real blaze and not waste time battling artificial flames.

- a journey through it's a small world passes by children over a hundred different nationalities and takes guest through dozens of different countries; however, the Unites States is not depicted. Similarly, while the United States is represented in the overseas parks, you will not find Japan in Tokyo DisneylandFrance at Disneyland Paris.

- despite the securtiy systems now installed inside all of Disneyland's attractions, couples will still try to have s*x while on the "dark" rides, apparently not realizing that the cameras are infrared and can pick up their every move. On occasion they are stopped with a warning of the loudspeaker; other as, as they exit, they are met with applause from knowing cast members.
                                Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmountain View Post
                                  Someone above wrote that airspace over Disney is prohibited. I'm curious about that because the last two times we've been there, a helicopter has jetted over us while we were in New Orlean's Square/RoA. Once while waiting for Fantasmic and another time while eating an early dinner at the Cafe. Who do these choppers belong to?
                                  I read the Notice To Airmen (NoTAM) restrictions last time this came up - it's Restricted Airspace from ground level to 3,000 feet for a mile or so radius around DL.

The FAA places the same temporary restrictions over stadiums and sports arenas during major events - they don't want a Banner Tow Plane doing an "Oopsie, engine out..." crash into a huge crowd. (And if they get in trouble and jettison the banner, it's going to hit something or someone on the ground when it lands.) Disneyland is crowded most every day, so they just made it semi-permanent.

If you file a flight plan you can go into restricted airspace, they just want to know about your trip ahead of time. And ATC will deny permission if you don't have a good reason to be there, they'd prefer it if you go around or stay well over 3,000 feet to where you could dead-stick glide to an airport...

You probably saw the local police and fire copters, and they are exempt from the NoTAM. They are in that restricted area for a reason, usually on urgent business, and they are in constant contact with the air traffic controllers.

And in crowded urban airspace with lots of little and big airports that have overlapping traffic patterns, everything over 3,000 feet is controlled space anyway. So you have to be in constant contact with ATC at all times, which means they know who you are, where you came from and where you are going.

There's that rumor debunked in a nutshell...

--<< Bruce >>--
                                  There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by orbitalpunk View Post
                                    There was a breathing apparatus inside of the Bank of Main Street safe in case of a robbery, the tellers could lock themselves inside and wait it out with enough air. .
                                    I've worked for a bank for 30 years and bank vaults DO have an air vent in the vault. To be opened in the event of being locked in.

Comment

I'm surprised that some of these weren't put in originally (Though, if I'm repeating I must have missed it somewhere)

3 original ticket booths are still in existance. The train depot for Casey Jr, the Lighthouse of the Storybook Canal Boats, and the Mushroom outside Alice.

the chairs you sit on in the Enchanted Tiki room are actually the chairs originally intended for the restraunt plan. The plan was Polynesian food (which was still very new to the US at the time) served in unison with singing birds, tikis, and flowers.

When the Fire Engine was being driven up the highway to Disneyland, it had to be driven off to the side of the road because it was so much slower than traffic. A little boy leaned out the window and said "Hey Mister! By the time you get there, it'll be burned down!"

Steve Martin used to work at the magic shop on Main Street. He spent a lot of time with Wally Boag who was in the Golden Horseshoe Revue.

The original idea Walt had for the Golden Horseshoe came from the movie Calamity Jane. The man he asked to draw up the plans (can't think of his name) actually worked on the set designs for that movie - which Walt didn't know.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Disneyland is the mirror of BTMRR in Disney World. It was such a popular attraction in WDW they wanted to add it to Disneyland - however it didn't fit next to the Rivers of America. They flipped the plans and voila! It fit!

Pinnochio's Daring Adventure is the first Dark Ride to have a happy ending.

At the opening ceremonies for the Monorail (which was the first daily operating Monorail in the Western Hemisphere) Vice President Nixon and his family were there to cut the ribbon. When Walt and Vice President Nixon boarded for a trip around Tomorrowland, they looked back to realize they had left the Secret Service on the platform. Walt Disney technically kidnapped the Vice President.
                                      When the Monorail returned, the Secret Service jumped onto the top of the still moving vehicle. Walt and Vice President Nixon unboarded and the Secret Service were still on top as the monorail took off for another trip around.
                                      ~Amber
                                      The Impossible Possible

Comment

They might have used plastic plants for emergencies like a hard frost killing off a bunch of trees and plants, or to camouflage a bald spot where a show building peeks through, but they wouldn't be left there long. Days or weeks perhaps, certainly not for years.

("What do you mean no local nurseries have any banana trees that survived the frost? So call the nurseries in Palm Springs and truck them in!")

Disney Horticulture is really good about zipping in overnight cutting down dead trees and vegetation, replacing them with new ones, and being done before morning.

And Bamboo and certain other visual screen plants grow FAST around here - you can populate a good wall of green pretty fast, or just dig a big hole and transplant a bunch from tubs.

The only place they use long term plastic foliage around the Jungle Cruise is the leaves on the "Disneydendron Semperflorens Grandis" Tree to the south - the Tarzan's Treehouse AKA Swiss Family Treehouse.

(The whole thing is steel and stucco, and they replace all the plastic leaves every 10 or 15 years - whenever they start falling off en masse or looking real bad.)

--<< Bruce >>--
                                        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

When it first opened, Pirates of the Caribbean contained actual human skeletons purchased from UCLA Medical Center in the grotto sequence.
                                          No, they were on loan from UCLA Medical Center. Yes, they were real, but they were returned to UCLA Medical Center when appropriate not-so-plastic skeletons came.
                                          Source: Pirates Of The Caribbean:From the rides to the movies, by Jason Surrel.

Timekeeper
                                          sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                                          Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X