X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phi1215
    replied
    Re: Random Facts

I saw this, it's a little lengthy but cute, and of course it confirms the rumor of the basketball hoop!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TKKg-KRP0"]YouTube- Disneyland Fact or Fiction: The Matterhorn[/ame]

Leave a comment:

• Bobd20011
    replied

So . . . are the Mouse Tales books any good? I enjoy the stories, even though most of them are second hand. I was just wondering if any of you had an opinion on whether they too are just filled with misinformation.
    Last edited by Bobd20011; 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ToInfinity
    replied

Originally posted by scotchtape View Post
    - a journey through it's a small world passes by children over a hundred different nationalities and takes guest through dozens of different countries; however, the Unites States is not depicted. Similarly, while the United States is represented in the overseas parks, you will not find Japan in Tokyo DisneylandFrance at Disneyland Paris.
    I have not yet had the privilege of going to Tokyo Disneyland. However, the it's a small world attraction at Disneyland Paris does, indeed, have a France. As evidence I present this picture I took on my first trip there this past April.

BAH! Well, I can't figure out how to embed an image. Just follow this linky...

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by vic_ster1047 View Post
    Sooo i went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and picked up a little book called Little Known Facts About Well Known Places: DISNEYLAND. And as I was reading I saw many of the random "facts" in that book. They said that TSI was annexed by Missouri and other things that ya'll have proven to be untrue. I thought it was funny that almost all of the facts in the book are on this thread...

"Picked up" as in bought the book? Or as in "and put it right back down when I saw all the inaccurate items"?

I would hope the latter - some writers and publishers are shameless in cranking out drivel as long as it can be sold, even if you call it non-fiction or a reference book. Some of those claims wouldn't stand up to even the most cursory fact-checking.

As to the address, 1313 would be a lot farther up the block if you check the even numbers on the other side of the street. And you would think the address was assigned to the physical "Front Door", which would be either the original parking lot driveway or "Harbor House" employee entrance. But the City and the Post Office allowed Disney to choose that address specifically.

Google on "House Numbering Systems" and you'll get an eye-full. It isn't consistent anywhere between cities and unincorporated areas in the same county, and even in the same city.

It isn't even universal which side of the street is the odd or even addresses - in Los Angeles it is North and West side of the street are the odd addresses, *usually*. There are exceptions.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• vic_ster1047
    replied

Sooo i went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and picked up a little book called Little Known Facts About Well Known Places: DISNEYLAND. And as I was reading I saw many of the random "facts" in that book. They said that TSI was annexed by Missouri and other things that ya'll have proven to be untrue. I thought it was funny that almost all of the facts in the book are on this thread...

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Yeah yeah, I never thought about the address, I wouldn't think that was chance, it had to be done on purpose!

Leave a comment:

• disneyDragon923
    replied

Ohh, I got a great fact... did you hear Tom Sawyer Island actually has a Missouri zip code..................... Ha Ha Ha Ha... I kid, I kid.

But seriously, something to think about, Disneylands address is 1313 S. Harbor St., and the 13th letter is M... 1313 = MM.... MM = Mickey Mouse..... Done on purpose or just a convience, who knows? Also, when your in line for Star Tours, listen to the announcements. One of them will ask for a Mr. Egroeg Sacul... Mr. Egroeg Sacul = George Lucas spelled backwards. Kinda neat, huh
    Last edited by disneyDragon923; 11-19-2009, 07:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

I love how most of these "random facts" are more like myths, lol!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

It looked a lot better with the trees. Why are they so hell-bent on removing trees from Disneyland? Trees are essential to making a place have a park-like quality.

Leave a comment:

• Skippy
    replied

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
    I tried to disprove that supposed myth a few weeks ago, too, Steve, but I was wrong - they apparently had a row of trees on the very front of the roof, right behind the facade.
    Here's a shot from 2001, not long before they repainted, where some trees are on top.

and compare with a shot from 2008

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by RaYDiSNey View Post
    yes tsi is in fact another state , it was a gift to walt
    Hey, Ray? Got a hairy hot flash for you - Just because it's in the "Official Disney History Book" that they feed you does *NOT* necessarily mean it is so.

There have been a lot of stories invented out of whole cloth over the years, like the 'Colorblind Bulldozer Operator and the colored ribbons' story that Marty Sklar himself thought up in the early days as a publicity person, to explain away what they did with the many of the original trees on the site.

Other stories and "facts" have been "sweetened" or "Sanitized For Your Protection" over the decades, they did a massive rewrite to bury uglier parts of a realistic story or tried to totally spin it their way - things that should be immediately followed by the mantra "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it."

Some of those so-called "facts" will fall very quickly fall with a little digging through public records or newspaper and historical archives, if you choose to challenge them. Go ahead and pick one.

They have also tried to bury the truth with a cover story that they just shout louder, and since they have a much louder voice in the media they usually win at that game. History books are written by the victors, and all that.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Plus, California's agricultural restrictions would have been murder on the raft operators: "Before we arrive back in Frontierland, does anyone have any fresh fruits or live plants to declare?"

:lmao: too funny!

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

^ Correct. Sleeping Beauty Castle was never Snow White's Castle at any point in its existence.

Leave a comment:

• Vashsky666
    replied

actually sleeping beautys caslte was in fact snowwhites caslte
    before sleeping beauty , thats why snow whites grotto & wishing well is on the side of the caslte
    cause if you check disney history we all know disneyland opend in 1955 but sleeping beauty didnt come out til 1959

and plus im a disney castmember & we know all the secerets and we have ppl working at disney that actually worked with walt himself
    Wow... I know you're a CM and I respect you but you can't be serious! Yes it is a common known fact that Sleeping Beauty did not make it to the theaters until 1959 but the castle was ALWAYS considered Sleeping Beauty's even before the movie came out. Yes it is true that the original INTENTION for it was to be Snow White's Castle but Walt ultimately wanted it to be Sleeping Beauty's and refereed to it as such on numerous occasions even before the park was opened to the public. It just showed how confident the Disney brand was in their future projects!

Furthermore, Snow White's Grotto was only created because the studio received an unmarked crate from Italy full of marble sculptures in the image of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Walt wanted these to be displayed in Disneyland so John Hench created the Grotto and placed it right next to Sleeping Beauty's Castle to further complete the Fantasy theme. This was never a far foreseen plan for the studio but instead a last minute creation to house the marble statues and not have it look like a cemetery!
    -Sources on this can be found within the John Hench publication "Designing Disney"

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

Plus, California's agricultural restrictions would have been murder on the raft operators: "Before we arrive back in Frontierland, does anyone have any fresh fruits or live plants to declare?"

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Hmmm, or does it? hehe

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Thank you Steve! For some reason, this of all other tales or urban legends seem to bug me the most, because of the lack of common sense! The first question someone should ask them self, is why, why would it have a zip code? It's an attraction at the park! For that matter, then the Haunted Mansion should have a street address of it's own because it's a "house" lol.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

If it had its own Zip code, it would also need its own post office.

Besides, the governor of Missouri cannot, nor can the mayor of Anaheim nor even Walt Disney, assign Zip codes--that is the province of the USPS. The first digit of the zip code signifies a broad geographic area of the country. Assigning a Missouri Zip code to a lump of dirt in California would certainly not have occurred.

Besides--Zip codes didn't even exist when TSI was dedicated--only coming about in 1963.

It's interesting that of all the people who continue to repeat this silly rumor, none can tell us what that Zip code is. You can find the Zip code to any cowtown in America--but when it comes to finding this particular Zip code, people come up with nada. Nothing. Zip. (You saw that coming).

I found this winner on a blog:

When Tom Sawyers Island was opened up Walt Disney made an agreement with the state of Missouri to annex it to them. Yes, it's true. When you step onto the Island you are no longer in CA.

Tom Sawyers Island has it's own Missouri Zip Code. This is why they do not sell things on Tom Sawyers Island. If they did so, they would have to charge a different amount of tax then the rest of the Park. Plus the book keeping would get crazy.

Should a crime be committed on Tom Sawyers Island it becomes a Federal Crime due to the crossing of State lines to get there.
    Does anyone actually believe this claptrap? (BTW, lots of things were sold on TSI over the years). This blog seems to repeat several items from the Disney LIES website. What about LIES is so hard to understand?

I suppose these people are the same who get their news from the Onion.

While Disney may have orchestrated a great PR gimick (and so far there is scant evidence that even this occurred), there is NOTHING official about this. The Federal Government will NOT intervene if you commit a crime on TSI. You won't have to wait for Missouri police to arrive on-site. Walt Disney had as much right to cede part of California to another state as you or I do in ceding the property our homes are on to another state.

The fact that this silly rumor continues is really amazing.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 11-19-2009, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Tom Sawyers island does NOT have a separate or different zip code or one from another state! It's a man made island in a theme park, seriously!

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

As I suspected....loads of misinformation! Maybe one of our resident experts can start a thread to share with us some correct information!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X