This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Disneyland in someone else's shoes

Maybe this thread is pointless but I just want to get everyones thoughts.

Consider the amount that you get to go to Disneyland, the routines you have while visiting, and the obvious fact that Disney is for whatever reason important to you considering you spend time on MC discussing all aspects of the company and the park. What would change for you if suddenly you could not go every week because you moved away, or oppositely what if you moved to Anaheim and could go every day.

For AP's and SoCal people:
    Would there be major implications attached to this change? Would you find it easy to stop going, quickly disregarding it and taking up new hobbies, or would it be a major shock to have to plan for months just to get a trip in?

For the rest of us:
    Would you snap up an AP and spend time strolling through the park every week taking pictures and just enjoying the scenery?

I guess the last question is how would your visits change. What would become the priorities as your time in the park became extremely limited, or what would you do in the park with the newfound time? Would your Disney Experience become something different you haven't thought of before?

-Note, the poll is not working, and I am working on getting that fixed-
    Last edited by Trevor; 11-08-2009, 02:32 AM.

Re: Disneyland in someone else's shoes

The poll isn't working.

But It would really alter my world if I could go more than once/twice a year. I'd would probably have less tolerance for mild/forgettable inadequacies than I do now. Also, I'd have a better chance at having more 'backstage' experiences.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
      The poll isn't working.
      I know! Im hunting down a moderator but I am not sure any are on. I accidently made the close date to far into the future I fear. In the meantime, do you want to share with the class your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
        I know! Im hunting down a moderator but I am not sure any are on. I accidently made the close date to far into the future I fear. In the meantime, do you want to share with the class your thoughts?
        I edited my post^^^
        For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
        http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

I go to the park about once-a-month because I live 55 miles away. If I lived in Anaheim, I'd go everyday.

Comment

First off-

Why in the world would I move AWAY from Disneyland?? Are you out of your mind?!?!?!

Secondly- I usually go 1-3 times per month (usually 2 or more), so yes- it would hit me hard if I couldn't go as regularly. And whamo- I live 65 miles away, so I don't see why (except for financial reasons, of course) 55 miles means you can't go more often than that?

Comment

I think my experience would definitely change if I were going every week, rather than once every 2-6 months. Heck, I know my experience changed when I went from going once every 2-3 years to my current rate. The park became a lot more familiar and a lot less...new, trading one form of specialness for another. I'd imagine the same shift would happen, but to an even greater extent, if I became an AP. That might bum me out for a little bit at first, but I think I'd really like it before too long. So yes, if transportation to the park were quick and cheap, I'd probably go for it and buy an AP.

Comment

the only reason i've been able to go once a year lately is because of school. but i'm in college now, my money is tight, and our family spends a lot for my brother's athletics, my college tuition, and bills. and just those little things that add up quickly.

if i could go even once every 2 months would be a dream for me, and i've consider transferring to a college in LA just because of DLR
                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
                  i've consider transferring to a college in LA just because of DLR
                  Understandable. Just a word of advice from a UCLA student, though - keep in mind that just being somewhere in the LA basin does not guarantee you'll be close enough to justify having an AP. For instance, it usually takes me 2-3 hours to get to the park via public transportation. Obviously, things'll be different at different schools (or if you have a car), but it's just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Realistically, if I lived geographically close to Disneyland, I'd probably have a transportation problem. I'd probably have to persuade my husband to drop me off in the morning, and come back for me later. Either that or I'd have to find someone else to go with. I certainly couldn't see myself learning how to drive. Of course Disneyland would be a good reason to learn, but I'm definitely aware of my motor skills, and I know that I shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car.

I like to think that I could possibly find my way there by public transportation. However, I definitely couldn't see myself going home late at night after the fireworks, and Fantasmic are over, so that's not an option either.

So it seems that I would have to come for about a week, and stay in a hotel. That's what I do now, so that part wouldn't change. I could buy an Annual Pass, and perhaps go a few times a year, rather than the possible once a year trips that I have been able to make since 2005.

Of course none of this will ever happen because my husband will never leave Chicago and move to California. Our family is here in Chicago. Especially our grandson. My husband has been to California, and he has no desire to return.

The grass is not always greener.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                      Understandable. Just a word of advice from a UCLA student, though - keep in mind that just being somewhere in the LA basin does not guarantee you'll be close enough to justify having an AP. For instance, it usually takes me 2-3 hours to get to the park via public transportation. Obviously, things'll be different at different schools (or if you have a car), but it's just something to keep in mind.
                      well yeah i have my own car, still sturdy and all, and i still don't know what college i would want to transfer to.
                      definitely not UCLA, i'm not smart enough for that school hahaha
                      Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                      You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                      Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by whamo View Post
                        I go to the park about once-a-month because I live 55 miles away. If I lived in Anaheim, I'd go everyday.
                        Haha you guys make it sound like once a month is average! I've been three times in my life and from where I live they think im addicted just by that huge number! I cannot fathom what the park would become if my trips weren't rushed fastpass-baised tours of the park trying to absorb every ride i can as quickly as I can. I love the theming of the park but I have no time to enjoy it.

If I suddenly had an AP, the percived exclusiveness of the park would fade but the fact that I could use it like I use a park here to stroll through and look around would be amazing. I would spend a ton of time just looking.

Comment

I live in Milwaukee and only make it to the parks a minimum of once per year (the last two years I have been very lucky with multiple trips). If I were to move to Anaheim, I would definitely grab the AP and make my way to the parks weekly. I think that it would be very exciting to not have to keep moving while in the parks - the thought of just sitting back and relaxing while there is amazing.
                          Can't wait for May 2011!:yea:

Comment

I am the person you are posting about I lived in L.A.for 5 years and regularly went to Disneyland (2 to 3 times a month) for about 3.5 of those years. I moved to New York a year and a half ago.

The differences... I used to just go for one day only occasionally staying for the entire weekend, and now I go for a weekend or even a week. So now there is a hotel fee and usually a transportation fee.

Obviously, I don't go as often, but I still go once or twice a year. WDW plays a factor in the frequency as does taking an entire day to fly out to CA.

I am still an AP, though, it's cheaper that way.

But... as for priorities and such nothing much has change. Before, there was always "I can just ride this ride next time." but now my husband and I make a list of rides we HAVE to ride. And very rarely do we not ride - Anniversary weekends and such make it more difficult.

It's also a bit sadder when we leave on our last day, knowing we won't be back to DL or see our friends for many months!!
                            Good morning, son
                            In twenty years from now
                            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                            And I can tell you 'bout today
                            And how I picked you up and everything changed
                            It was pain
                            Sunny days and rain
                            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saphron37 View Post
                              I live in Milwaukee and only make it to the parks a minimum of once per year (the last two years I have been very lucky with multiple trips). If I were to move to Anaheim, I would definitely grab the AP and make my way to the parks weekly. I think that it would be very exciting to not have to keep moving while in the parks - the thought of just sitting back and relaxing while there is amazing.
                              Haha I could confirm the myth of the Dapper Dans. I've never had time just to sit on mainstreet and see them so that would be a really cool new experiance.

That last day feeling is a really good point. I could do without the borderline sickness on that last short walk under the tracks and out the gate, not knowing if I will be back in the next ten years...

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                Haha you guys make it sound like once a month is average! I've been three times in my life and from where I live they think im addicted just by that huge number! I cannot fathom what the park would become if my trips weren't rushed fastpass-baised tours of the park trying to absorb every ride i can as quickly as I can. I love the theming of the park but I have no time to enjoy it.

If I suddenly had an AP, the percived exclusiveness of the park would fade but the fact that I could use it like I use a park here to stroll through and look around would be amazing. I would spend a ton of time just looking.
                                That about sums it up for me as well I've only been 3 times ('00, '06, '09) and would love the opportunity to just sit on a bench and just kind of "be there", you know?

Of course, in a perfect world I'd more love to actually work there - be the one that helps to create the magic for everyone. But living closer than Colorado would be nice too .
                                *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
                                *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
                                *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

If I could go to the park more than once a year, things would change. I'd die! (from happiness.)

Comment

You people are depressing me... not knowing if you'll be back in the next 10 years? Egads! *faints*

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
                                      the only reason i've been able to go once a year lately is because of school. but i'm in college now, my money is tight, and our family spends a lot for my brother's athletics, my college tuition, and bills. and just those little things that add up quickly.

if i could go even once every 2 months would be a dream for me, and i've consider transferring to a college in LA just because of DLR
                                      Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                      If you are thinking or have thought of moving to "LA" just for Disneyland, you really want to look at colleges in Orange County. There is Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Long Beach (technically in LA County but on the border of Orange County). Also in Orange County near Disneyland is Chapman University and UC Irvine. There are many junior colleges in the area. The closest to Disneyland are probably Fullerton College and I'm thinking Cypress College. Orange Coast College is not too far away but is arguably the most popular jc in Orange County.

And Data -- what's your major? Have you considered a transfer from UCLA to the equally prestigious UC Irvine so that you can be a lot closer to Disneyland? My niece is a Physics major at UCI and works as a seasonal DL cast member so it is very possible to go to school there and easily enjoy Disneyland.

OK -- back to the topic. I cannot fathom living too far to where I couldn't go when I wanted I've lived here all my life and I distinctly remember as a little boy thinking I'm never going to move too far from Disneyland to where I couldn't go. I'm 41 and I still live 20 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by oo_nrb View Post
                                        That about sums it up for me as well I've only been 3 times ('00, '06, '09) and would love the opportunity to just sit on a bench and just kind of "be there", you know?

Of course, in a perfect world I'd more love to actually work there - be the one that helps to create the magic for everyone. But living closer than Colorado would be nice too .
                                        Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
                                        You people are depressing me... not knowing if you'll be back in the next 10 years? Egads! *faints*
                                        We need to start a support group haha. I'm glad its not just me.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X