This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Soarin' Over California - 3D

Is it possible to convert Soarin' to Disney Digital 3D or is that only for animation? Would you want it in 3D?

Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

It's possible but highly expensive. I don't think it's worth it. If they are going to be replacing it eventually with Soarin' Over the World then they might as well just shoot that one in 3-D and Soarin' looks fine as is.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Comment

I'd agree that based on the atrraction itself, the extra expense to make it 3d wouldn't be worth it. I'd really like them to clean up the film itself, it's getting pretty worn.

Comment

I would most definitely want it in 3D. Converting it would be more difficult than with computer animation - basically, Disney would have to roughly re-create each scene and each camera move in three dimensions on the computer. Then they'd have to simulate a slightly different view to correspond to your other eye, using the 3D model to help that along. It's been experimented with in the past...it can work.

Another issue is that the screen is obviously curved...in fact, it's part of a sphere. Some complex calculations would probably be required to make the parallax look right, especially around the edges.

Furthermore, Disney Digital 3D requires a silver screen. The two images have to be projected with different polarizations so that each eye sees only one of the images, and normal movie screens do not preserve the polarization of the light. I highly doubt the Soarin' screens are silver screens, so they'd have to be replaced.

Technical issues aside, I'm certain that the posts that follow will include some dissent for other reasons; that's how it's been in the past. So, to anticipate some of the protests...

Firstly, 3D does not equal gimmicky. The gimmicky feeling arises from the filmmakers intentionally reminding you that you're supposed to be wowed by this 3D presentation, usually with stuff popping out at you. In sharp contrast, Soarin' primarily consists of stuff that's further away - most of it never comes closer than the screen actually is, and some of it is way off in the distance. The only real exception is the golf ball flying over your head.

Going off of that, 3D does not equal stuff popping out at you. It's just as easy to make stuff appear far away. The effect is less obvious, but it still vastly increases the realism of the presentation. Currently, mountains that are miles away on the horizon will still look like they're 50 feet away, because the images actually are 50 feet away. 3D allows you to stretch that distance as far as you want.

Lastly, I'm sure someone will bring up the idea of people dropping their 3D glasses. I'm sure this would happen from time to time, yes, but the hang gliders don't actually move that much, so it's not like they're just going to be falling off on their own. People would need to make the conscious decision to take the glasses off and drop them. Aside from young'uns who don't know any better and older folks who just want to be dumb, most people would not have any reason to do that. After the usual cleaning, I'd imagine most dropped glasses would still be perfectly usable, anyway.

Soooo...to summarize all that...yes, I want it in 3D! But I acknowledge that there would be some technical challenges in making it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
          Lastly, I'm sure someone will bring up the idea of people dropping their 3D glasses. I'm sure this would happen from time to time, yes, but the hang gliders don't actually move that much, so it's not like they're just going to be falling off on their own. People would need to make the conscious decision to take the glasses off and drop them. Aside from young'uns who don't know any better and older folks who just want to be dumb, most people would not have any reason to do that. After the usual cleaning, I'd imagine most dropped glasses would still be perfectly usable, anyway.
          This was my first thought about it being in 3D. Even as an adult, I can't even eat popcorn in line without spilling it all over (big apology to whomever had to clean the queue to Big Thunder that day). But then I remembered that I've never dropped my glasses in It's Tough to Be a Bug, HISTA, or Muppet-Vision, and before I wore contacts I used to wear prescription glasses and never dropped those on any rides. So yes, even as a popcorn-spiller I don't think I'd drop my glasses on Soarin'.

And I agree about 3D not being gimmicky. I used to think 3D was gimmicky because of shows such as HISTA and especially Muppet-Vision, but then I saw some 3D shows at the IMAX such as the U2 concert in 3D, and it's actually really amazing. They never tried to stick guitars and microphones in your face, it actually just looked like it had depth to it, like you're really there. If they could do that with Soarin' (which would be hard, but maybe they could try with Soarin' Over the World) I think it would be cool.

Comment

I agree that Soarin over the world should be in 3D. Is that why it's only planned to launch in 2013? Seems like a very long time just to change the movie.

Comment

If DCA's Soarin' Over California becomes Soarin' Over the World/U.S./Something Besides California, I may finally reach the point when a theme park attraction can make me cry.

But not in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by Madame_Leota View Post
                This was my first thought about it being in 3D. Even as an adult, I can't even eat popcorn in line without spilling it all over (big apology to whomever had to clean the queue to Big Thunder that day). But then I remembered that I've never dropped my glasses in It's Tough to Be a Bug, HISTA, or Muppet-Vision, and before I wore contacts I used to wear prescription glasses and never dropped those on any rides. So yes, even as a popcorn-spiller I don't think I'd drop my glasses on Soarin'.

And I agree about 3D not being gimmicky. I used to think 3D was gimmicky because of shows such as HISTA and especially Muppet-Vision, but then I saw some 3D shows at the IMAX such as the U2 concert in 3D, and it's actually really amazing. They never tried to stick guitars and microphones in your face, it actually just looked like it had depth to it, like you're really there. If they could do that with Soarin' (which would be hard, but maybe they could try with Soarin' Over the World) I think it would be cool.
                I've never dropped my 3D glasses on Spider-Man either, and that ride moves a lot. All they have to do is make sure that the glasses clamp to your head.

Sooo...any Disney insiders know if Soarin' over the world will be in 3D?

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
                  I've never dropped my 3D glasses on Spider-Man either, and that ride moves a lot. All they have to do is make sure that the glasses clamp to your head.
                  I wish I could go on Spiderman, it sounds awesome.

If DCA's Soarin' Over California becomes Soarin' Over the World/U.S./Something Besides California, I may finally reach the point when a theme park attraction can make me cry.

But not in a good way.
                  Same here.

Comment

I'm still debating whether Soarin' Over California fits or not with a California themed park. But we gotta remember that not everyone that visits DL is from California and they very much enjoy the California fly-overs.

I think the ride needs a makeover and would love to see a Soarin' Over the World. I just then don't know how that would fit in with the California theme.

3D would be awesome though. I would LOVE for it to be in 3D!

Comment

I think it would be pretty cool in 3-d. But wouldn't it be considered 4-d? Since we already have the motion and smells!
                      --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Comment

Originally posted by d1mex View Post
                        I'm still debating whether Soarin' Over California fits or not with a California themed park.
                        What's to debate? If you ask me, it's by far the most thematically appropriate attraction in the entire park. It does a perfect job of glorifying the natural and manmade landscapes of the state.

Originally posted by leslie_537 View Post
                        I think it would be pretty cool in 3-d. But wouldn't it be considered 4-d? Since we already have the motion and smells!
                        Well, sorta...4D is kind of a loose term. People use it to mean all sorts of things. 3D, on the other hand, has a very clear meaning in this case - two different images are being projected onto the same screen, but each eye can only see one of the images, and the slight difference in their vantage points tricks your brain into interpreting the view as having true depth, rather than just being a two-dimensional projection.

Comment

Well, sorta...4D is kind of a loose term. People use it to mean all sorts of things. 3D, on the other hand, has a very clear meaning in this case - two different images are being projected onto the same screen, but each eye can only see one of the images, and the slight difference in their vantage points tricks your brain into interpreting the view as having true depth, rather than just being a two-dimensional projection.
                          You just had to get technical!
                          --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Comment

I already think it's fine without 3D.

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                              I already think it's fine without 3D.
                              I agree that "it's fine without 3D". One of the best rides at DCA IMO. But I think 3D, or 4D if you wish, would be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by leslie_537 View Post
                                You just had to get technical!
                                Hey, you asked!

Comment

What they need to do is figure out a way to keep the orientation of the film right for those sitting on the flanks of the screen. Sitting to the left or right, everything is curved and looks terrible. Also, If 3D was introduced, the 3D should only be used to make the objects like the bridge seem in the foreground. Aside from the
                                  Spoiler
                                  golf ball,
                                  nothing in that ride needs to pop out of the screen at you.

I almost think they should install a third screen off the back of the building and dedicate it to fastpass (Or eliminate fastpass and just have the third screen). When examining the map on bing maps, there would be just enough room if you moved the seating for (insert name of Downtown Disney restaurant I forgot)'s patio dining.

Data, do you know of anywhere that has the blueprints for Soarin? I would love to know how it all fits into the building. In know the screens are back to back, but the building seems very long from East to West for the room that I remember.
                                  Last edited by Trevor; 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                    Data, do you know of anywhere that has the blueprints for Soarin? I would love to know how it all fits into the building. In know the screens are back to back, but the building seems very long from East to West for the room that I remember.
                                    These are WDW's Soarin' but I imagine it's almost identical to the one here in CA.

Soarin Section/ Elevation on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Soarin1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                      What they need to do is figure out a way to keep the orientation of the film right for those sitting on the flanks of the screen. Sitting to the left or right, everything is curved and looks terrible.
                                      That's one of the unfortunate downsides to using a curved screen...it's impossible to project it in such a way that it looks perfect from every vantage point.

Also, If 3D was introduced, the 3D should only be used to make the objects like the bridge seem in the foreground. Aside from the golf ball, nothing in that ride needs to pop out of the screen at you.
                                      Yes and no...certainly, nothing else should be appear to be within arm's reach, but I think certain parts of certain scenes might come a little closer than the screen. You get quite close to Redwood Creek and the Malibu surf, for instance. A few treelines get pretty close, too.

Basically, the two identical screens are indeed back to back - that is, when you're watching the film, you're looking east or west, toward the center of the building. Right between the two screens, about halfway up, is the first part of the interior queue, which goes from south to north, of course. At the north end of the building, the queue splits in two and ramps down and out toward the east and west ends of the building. By the time you board, you're roughly 17 feet below ground level.

The only blueprints I have are these two shots from an eBay sale, and the cleaned-up versions found here and here. These are for the WDW version, but their overall sizes are identical, and much of the interior layout is the same. It's just the earlier parts of the queue and the exits that get screwed up.

I've also got my own incomplete model, which may help you visualize the interior.

EDIT: I see Sam beat me to it, at least with the cleaned-up versions.

Comment

Yes and no...certainly, nothing else should be appear to be within arm's reach, but I think certain parts of certain scenes might come a little closer than the screen. You get quite close to Redwood Creek and the Malibu surf, for instance. A few treelines get pretty close, too.
                                        Exactly, I just simply meant that they shouldnt start introducing gags with the 3D like they seem to enjoy doing. Use the 3D to convey a sense of realism, not as a method to show how cool the technology is. (aka this isn't the muppets)

As for the layouts, what I really wanted to see was what occupied the far left and right of the building to see if a third screen could fit off the back, which I am now convinced it could.

As for the curvature, having four smaller screens each with one centered, larger set of seats might have been better for that.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X