Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soarin' Over California - 3D

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

    Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    IMAX movies tend to have a low quality lifespan due to the fact that it uses a special 70mm film put together into massive reels. Unless the film is kept clean and is never put at risk for de-magnetization the film quality could progressively go down the drain much faster than standard 35mm formats. Unfortunately digital technology has been resisted by many IMAX concept designers and as of today there still isnt a digital projector prototype to be found yet.

    Specifically in the case of Soarin in DCA the film suffers from major image clarity issues caused by strobing, the brightness of the film has deminished alot since SoC opened probably due to the film getting dirty and progressively burned by the concentrated light from the projector lamp tube (it's a huge lamp). In particular the San Diego scene the sky looks like it is pre-dawn when on opening day it looked like maybe 9am and sunny, with a hint of fog. And now the fog seems to blend in with the daylight making San Diego look like it's under attack by wildfires again.

    There is a current IMAX 3D format that seems to be progressing faster than digital HD is, however both would cost Disney a good chunk of change with Digital HD costing less to maintain should in the next 2 years we see a digital projector technology introduced.. hopefully Disney will have the entrapaneurship to try to invent this technology itself and not depend on the IMAX engineers instead.
    I do ageed YOU with Soarin' Over California film is not same as it was when they opening >for the reason you share above....and for the clarity
    is poor...and it does lose alot in watching it!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

    Comment


    • #42
      Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

      Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
      Yes. See the Wikipedia article and its citations for the IMAX 3D technology.
      But does it translate to OmniMax?
      .

      Comment


      • #43
        Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

        Eagleman, I don't want this to seem brusque, but you might consider rephrasing some of your posts, just for clarity. That might play a factor in getting your points across.

        Comment


        • #44
          Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

          Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
          Eagleman, I don't want this to seem brusque, but you might consider rephrasing some of your posts, just for clarity. That might play a factor in getting your points across.
          I think I have.....
          It's still is and only my OPINION!
          Is find the way it is without 3-D
          ( I have made that very clear)
          I do think the film they useing is worn needs replace
          with a new ones.....and that it!

          I just feel impovements is not alway's a good thing!

          Again there are already many attraction in 3-D already!
          That is very clear!
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #45
            Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

            Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
            I think I have.....
            It's still is and only my OPINION!
            Is find the way it is without 3-D
            ( I have made that very clear)
            I do think the film they useing is worn needs replace
            with a new ones.....and that it!

            I just feel impovements is not alway's a good thing!

            Again there are already many attraction in 3-D already!
            That is very clear!
            I think the question that you seem to be avoiding is: "WHY 3-D would make it worse and not better?"

            THAT is what you've been less than clear about

            Comment


            • #46
              Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

              Well, it seems like Eagleman's posts are unclear in general right now.

              Comment


              • #47
                Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                Well, it seems like Eagleman's posts are unclear in general right now.

                I find your attack being very rude!
                YES it is attack..............
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                Comment


                • #48
                  Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                  Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                  It would be make it worse!
                  Well now that you've cleared THAT up...

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                    I find your attack being very rude!
                    YES it is attack..............
                    Not really. I'm just saying you aren't being clear at all. Nothing personal.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                      Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                      I find your attack being very rude!
                      YES it is attack..............
                      Ok...apparently I too have been "attacking" Eagalman. I don't know how asking for clarification is an "attack," but I'll apologize anyway. Sorry for the "attack" Eagleman.

                      ...moving on.

                      If it weren't too financially prohibitive, I'd enjoy seeing Soarin' in 3D. Although, I've never realy found modern 3D movies (Up, Toy Story 1 and 2) too impressive. About 20 minutes in, I completely stop noticing the 3D effect.

                      But I think the short length of Soarin' would make a good 3D experience.

                      But what is this "Soarin' Over the World" nonsense? Please tell me that's an unconfirmed rumor.

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                        Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                        But what is this "Soarin' Over the World" nonsense? Please tell me that's an unconfirmed rumor.
                        It's an unconfirmed rumor...let's hope that never changes. Well, unless it changes to a rumor that's been eternally proven 100% false. I could live with that.

                        However, it'd be another story at Epcot. That could work marvelously, especially considering that they wouldn't even have to change the signage. I'd imagine they built it with the more generic Soarin' name in part so that it'd be easier to swap out the film if they decided to make something else.

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                          Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                          It's an unconfirmed rumor...let's hope that never changes. Well, unless it changes to a rumor that's been eternally proven 100% false. I could live with that.

                          However, it'd be another story at Epcot. That could work marvelously, especially considering that they wouldn't even have to change the signage. I'd imagine they built it with the more generic Soarin' name in part so that it'd be easier to swap out the film if they decided to make something else.
                          Yeah...to be honest, I was surprised that the footage wasn't changed for the Florida version initially.

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                            Originally posted by EvilQueen View Post


                            As DCA's only original Walt Disney Imagineered attraction that did fit the Calfiornia theme, I am confused by your post...

                            I would debate why "Soarin' Over California" was put into EPCOT, rather than using the available technology to create a "Soarin' Across the USA" as a new and distinct attraction for Florida; the cost of shooting and editing a 'new' movie is nothing compared to the cost of the ride technology and the attraction itself.

                            I also agree with Datemeister: adding 3-D to this attraction would make it EXTREMELY intense.
                            Sorry, I wasn't clear enough after reading my own post. haha.

                            What I meant was that there are some people you don't think we should be Soarin' over California when we are in California already. Why not Soarin over the World?

                            I don't really care, I love the ride, yes, its lost a little luster after awhile, but the ride is still great. Just not as thrilling as it once was. Maybe some 3D enhancements will change that, but besides the golf ball I don't see where it fits.

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                              Eagleman, they dont mean any disrespect. We don't need any arguing over nothing, it is just that you seem to have an accent and it shows in your typing as some things are not super clear. Your ideas are still valid and in some cases very very good, it is just hard to read. I have this problem all the time talking in my very limited french, but you are doing much better than me! haha

                              Anyway, back to the post.

                              Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
                              IMAX movies tend to have a low quality lifespan due to the fact that it uses a special 70mm film put together into massive reels. Unless the film is kept clean and is never put at risk for de-magnetization the film quality could progressively go down the drain much faster than standard 35mm formats. Unfortunately digital technology has been resisted by many IMAX concept designers and as of today there still isnt a digital projector prototype to be found yet.

                              Specifically in the case of Soarin in DCA the film suffers from major image clarity issues caused by strobing, the brightness of the film has deminished alot since SoC opened probably due to the film getting dirty and progressively burned by the concentrated light from the projector lamp tube (it's a huge lamp). In particular the San Diego scene the sky looks like it is pre-dawn when on opening day it looked like maybe 9am and sunny, with a hint of fog. And now the fog seems to blend in with the daylight making San Diego look like it's under attack by wildfires again.

                              There is a current IMAX 3D format that seems to be progressing faster than digital HD is, however both would cost Disney a good chunk of change with Digital HD costing less to maintain should in the next 2 years we see a digital projector technology introduced.. hopefully Disney will have the entrapaneurship to try to invent this technology itself and not depend on the IMAX engineers instead.
                              What I have read goes with what you are saying. Basically, digital rounds off the information to the most specific digit it can represent, or to the smallest pixel it can show, and the gap between digital and IMAX is still quite substantial. It is also pretty clear that any film running under such harsh conditions non-stop 365 days a year would see substantial fading, expecially with the specs required for an IMAX film.

                              Where I differ from your post is that I think Disney and IMAX, should put their interests and expertise together to progress the IMAX HD and 3D technologies. IMAX 3D is quite stunning but as I stated before, when I saw it, it was only really used to create visual "gags" which would detract from something like Soarin'. To this end, I am not sold on it.

                              I will also add that due to my eyes, I don't actually see real life in 3D (sort of) so to me it is all quite akward. But that is not to say that I doiont know what 3D is or how it should look.

                              As for those forest fires, maybe Disney is just updating the film to match the current world!

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                                Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                If DCA's Soarin' Over California becomes Soarin' Over the World/U.S./Something Besides California, I may finally reach the point when a theme park attraction can make me cry.

                                But not in a good way.
                                I agree completly it is California Adventure not World Adventure, save it for EPCOT. All we need is a new movie, preferably in HD cause some of my dvds at home look better than that movie. I would also like to see more of a story line with it like a logical transtion not just clouds, or going over a mountain, that just seems kinda lame to me and i think it should be much more magical. Go in order more or less idk just a thought but if they change it to Soaring Over the World I would cry too. it just needs an update not a major change.

                                But 3d would be super cool!!! I acutally had this idea but using the rumored glassesless 3d tech for STII but it got vetoed by my idea approver so I never posted.

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                                  I'm fully behind Epcot's Soarin' to start soaring outside of California because that's just lazy propaganda. In fact there should be two "flights" at Epcot. Soarin' across America ,the original show plus fly-overs of the Grand Canyon,Mt. Rushmore,DC,Niagara Falls etc.And Soarin' around the World, a all-new film flying over NYC,Paris,the Venice canals,The Serengeti,Rio,Hong Kong,the Arctic Circle and many other destinations.

                                  Hell, SatW could digitially reworked to become Around the World in Eighty Days for DLP.
                                  Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
                                  Think of it as a third arm that magically
                                  shoots bullets!

                                  Comment


                                  • #57

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                                      Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                      IMAX 3D is quite stunning but as I stated before, when I saw it, it was only really used to create visual "gags" which would detract from something like Soarin'. To this end, I am not sold on it.
                                      But again, there's no way for it to get gimmicky in Soarin', aside from the golf ball, which is already as gimmicky as it would otherwise be. Have you seen Up or the like in 3D? No gimmicks, no cheap attempts to remind you how amazing the 3D is. It's just there to enhance the experience, creating a greater sense of realism...and realism is exactly what a ride like Soarin' is going for.

                                      I will also add that due to my eyes, I don't actually see real life in 3D (sort of) so to me it is all quite akward. But that is not to say that I doiont know what 3D is or how it should look.
                                      Would you mind expanding on this a little? I'm not sure what you mean. But in any case, going with the 3D route would still just make the film look however the real world looks to you, even if for you that's not 3D.

                                      Originally posted by d1mex View Post
                                      What I meant was that there are some people you don't think we should be Soarin' over California when we are in California already. Why not Soarin over the World?
                                      I'm still not following this logic. According to the park's dedication, "Disney's California Adventure celebrates the richness and the diversity of California ... Its land, its people, its spirit and, above all, the dreams that it continues to inspire." Soarin' Over California fits the bill perfectly - it's an attraction that showcases the beauty and diversity of California. If we were just seeing random locales from around the entire world...well, that'd certainly still be an engaging ride experience, as there's plenty to see around the world, but how would it enforce the California theme? If I'm hang gliding over the Eiffel Tower and the pyramids and Mount Fuji, will I really leave the attraction feeling a renewed love for the Golden State?

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                                        Originally posted by disneyboii View Post
                                        I agree completly it is California Adventure not World Adventure, save it for EPCOT. All we need is a new movie, preferably in HD cause some of my dvds at home look better than that movie. I would also like to see more of a story line with it like a logical transtion not just clouds, or going over a mountain, that just seems kinda lame to me and i think it should be much more magical. Go in order more or less idk just a thought but if they change it to Soaring Over the World I would cry too. it just needs an update not a major change.

                                        But 3d would be super cool!!! I acutally had this idea but using the rumored glassesless 3d tech for STII but it got vetoed by my idea approver so I never posted.
                                        Your Idea Approver? haha

                                        Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                        But again, there's no way for it to get gimmicky in Soarin', aside from the golf ball, which is already as gimmicky as it would otherwise be. Have you seen Up or the like in 3D? No gimmicks, no cheap attempts to remind you how amazing the 3D is. It's just there to enhance the experience, creating a greater sense of realism...and realism is exactly what a ride like Soarin' is going for.
                                        Ohh, I see what your wondering. I was simply saying I hope they dont ruin the amazing footage by trying to add more of those gimmics to the original footage. Unfortuantly, all that I have seen in 3D (spykids and the like) have left a sour taste in my mouth.

                                        Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                        Would you mind expanding on this a little? I'm not sure what you mean. But in any case, going with the 3D route would still just make the film look however the real world looks to you, even if for you that's not 3D.
                                        Basically, when I was born, my eyes were both near sighted to different degrees (my contact numbers are 6.25 and 8.00 if that means anything) and I also suffer from strabismus in that my eyes dont focus on the same point. Basically what happens is not only are my eyes focusing on different depths, but also different points. Because of this I have no depth perception and therefor cannot properly percive 3D in real space. However, the brain with all its power has taught me to judge distance by size, how lines taper together and by shadowing.

                                        This is how I can say that I dont actually know what real 3D looks like to the average person. (and dont ask me to catch a ball, haha)

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

                                          Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                          Ohh, I see what your wondering. I was simply saying I hope they dont ruin the amazing footage by trying to add more of those gimmics to the original footage. Unfortuantly, all that I have seen in 3D (spykids and the like) have left a sour taste in my mouth.
                                          Gotcha. Yeah, Spy Kids 3D was without a doubt the most awful 3D film I've ever seen...but it was awful even in the non-3D parts, too, I suppose. (Pity, because I thought the first one was pretty cute...) But anyway, although I doubt Disney ever will convert Soarin' to 3D, if they did, I don't think they'd put those gimmicks in. I think they'd just be adding depth to the original footage.

                                          Basically, when I was born, my eyes were both near sighted to different degrees (my contact numbers are 6.25 and 8.00 if that means anything) and I also suffer from strabismus in that my eyes dont focus on the same point. Basically what happens is not only are my eyes focusing on different depths, but also different points. Because of this I have no depth perception and therefor cannot properly percive 3D in real space. However, the brain with all its power has taught me to judge distance by size, how lines taper together and by shadowing.

                                          This is how I can say that I dont actually know what real 3D looks like to the average person. (and dont ask me to catch a ball, haha)
                                          Gotcha, that makes sense. Sorry you don't have stereoscopic vision! At least 3D projections should still look just as good as 2D ones to you, though.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X