X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
    Gotcha, that makes sense. Sorry you don't have stereoscopic vision! At least 3D projections should still look just as good as 2D ones to you, though.
    Ironically 3D projections are the only time I get to see any kind of 3D, so now you can see why I care less for gimmicks (muppets, Spy Kids...) and more for realism.

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

I was wondering if they were to convert the film to 3D, since you are flying over things like trees, as you flew over something it would appear to be coming off the screen and that you would be flying over it. Would your eyes follow the item until it ultimately disappeared before it even got to your feet, which might be even more distracting? You would end up looking at the people's heads below you where a tree just was meant to be. Or is the screen curved enough that that would not happen? I have only been to Disneyland 3 times (multiple days each time) in my 37 years and DCA wasn't done the first time. So I have only ridden the ride a couple of times. In 3D movies everything is out in front of you and nothing is meant to go by.

Comment

Well, that's where it gets tricky. When 3D-ifying the film, they'd need to keep in mind the way the screen curves. Makes for a lot of complicated math. But if they succeeded in making the parallax work out right along the edges, I don't think it would be overwhelmingly distracting. The trees already "disappear" as it is, and you can see that, but we suspend our disbelief and try to ignore that. Hopefully it'd be the same in 3D. That IS a really interesting point, though...3D films usually make a point of not allowing things that are "closer" than the screen to reach the edge of the screen, since, well...then they'd have to disappear. With "distant" objects, that's less of a problem, because it's kinda like you're just looking at them through a window, but with nearby objects, it would become very obvious that the images were just on the screen. I think/hope Soarin' could get away with it because of how curved the screen is, though. And perhaps they'd mess with the depth so that nothing on the edge of the screen got much "closer" than the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
            Where I differ from your post is that I think Disney and IMAX, should put their interests and expertise together to progress the IMAX HD and 3D technologies. IMAX 3D is quite stunning but as I stated before, when I saw it, it was only really used to create visual "gags" which would detract from something like Soarin'. To this end, I am not sold on it.
            That would actually be the best scenario. If Disney and IMAX got together on a joint venture they could totally reinvent the public's perception of IMAX movies. I posted my opinion that Disney should venture to reinvent the technology simply because of my cynical outlook that these two powerhouses probably wouldn't be able to get past the business politics and contract talks, let alone have their engineers shake hands with Disneys. IMAX as a company in general is slowly killing itself because of its resistance to outside influences and continues to fall behind with their technology enhancements.

Originally posted by MasterElwood View Post
            SoC is made in IMAX HD because HD uses 48 fps instead of the normal 24fps - meaning the movie is much more fluid.
            This is the same reason why Disney should look into improving or reinventing the technology, specifically to a digital format. The 48fps IMAX HD movies doubles the already expensive standard upkeep costs because at 48fps the film deteriorates in half the time. Disney can cut costs by making the initial investment to upgrade to a digital format with more power efficent lamps. That could eventually lead to other ventures like Disney IMAX theatres and the franchising of the projectors.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X