• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EvilQueen
    Disgruntled Former CM
    • Apr 2007

Re: Soarin' Over California - 3D

Originally posted by d1mex View Post
    I'm still debating whether Soarin' Over California fits or not with a California themed park.

I think the ride needs a makeover and would love to see a Soarin' Over the World. I just then don't know how that would fit in with the California theme.

As DCA's only original Walt Disney Imagineered attraction that did fit the Calfiornia theme, I am confused by your post...

I would debate why "Soarin' Over California" was put into EPCOT, rather than using the available technology to create a "Soarin' Across the USA" as a new and distinct attraction for Florida; the cost of shooting and editing a 'new' movie is nothing compared to the cost of the ride technology and the attraction itself.

I also agree with Datemeister: adding 3-D to this attraction would make it EXTREMELY intense.
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

Comment

• HiddenMickeyBook
      Bring back the Keelboats!
      • Oct 2009

I like the idea of 3D. no, not sure of the costs involved either. But it reminded me of my old Viewmaster reels (that I still have and my Mickey Mouse Viewmaster). It is a lot more appealing than flat.

But, if it cannot be done, it is still all good. It is one of my favorite rides in Cal. Adven...and I have lived in California all my life!
      sigpic
      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

• Eagleman
        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
        I already think it's fine without 3D.
        I areed also....
        I think
        there are to many attractions that have 3D already
        and get to be little to mush!
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Datameister
          =)
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
          I areed also....
          I think
          there are to many attractions that have 3D already
          and get to be little to mush!
          For you, what is the disadvantage of presenting a film in 3D as opposed to presenting it in 2D, especially when you're supposed to be pretending the film is a real environment around you?

Comment

• Eagleman
            Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
            For you, what is the disadvantage of presenting a film in 3D as opposed to presenting it in 2D, especially when you're supposed to be pretending the film is a real environment around you?
            It's not just me there others on this tread in agreedment!
            The Film in Imax already, I feel it's great as is....
            except I areed with one reader.....
            Need be new film the one's now is worn out ,
            Also like the screen needs be clean ...
            (you would know if that possibel)
            No I do agreed that ever film need's be in 3-D!
            And that my OPION ,but not my alone!
            Last edited by Eagleman; 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Datameister
              =)
              • Aug 2005

I never suggested you were the only one with that opinion - I didn't even try to tell you that you were wrong or anything like that. I was just hoping you'd explain what you meant a bit more, since you were the most recent one to say it. I agree that Soarin' is great without 3D...but that doesn't mean 3D wouldn't be an improvement. Pirates would still be great without the big battle scene between the ship and the town, for instance, but that doesn't mean they may as well have not included it.

Comment

• FREQDUDE
                Laughing Last..
                • Jun 2005

Spoke with my brother-in-law about this not too long ago, he designed the ride, and here was his answer in a nutshell. Number one, 3D on a curved screen would be too difficult to spend money on. Number two, you would have to reshoot the film with the 3D camera setup, less the digital enhancements (golf ball, hang gliders (yes, they are added digitally)), also talking money. FYI- they crashed a helicopter during the original filming, lots more money. Number three, the suits don't want to spend the money.
                We discussed this for quite a long time and he filled me in on many little bits of stuff. I could talk with him for hours. Based on our conversations, I am REALLY looking forward to CarsLand.

Comment

• disneyfann121
                  Banned User
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Madame_Leota View Post
                  I wish I could go on Spiderman, it sounds awesome.
                  Yeah, it is awesome. Don't miss it if you ever visit Florida. I would definitely place it on a list of my all time top ten theme park rides.

Comment

• Drum-&-Train
                    New MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2008

You can experience it in 3-D today!!! and its free!

There's these simple paper glasses that dims the light going into one eye slowing down the image than the other eye that's getting more light. When an object on the t.v. screen moves side to side it appears to be 3-d. It works great watching football or basketball on t.v. You can find these glasses here for free at

Pulfrich 3D Glasses

(only if you get one, it's free.)

You can also try taking a pair of light shaded sunglasses and pop off one of the lenses. That gives a 3-d appearance too but its darker and the contrast is too strong.

It may seem silly but i have tried the actual paper glasses on the ride and it works for most of the scenes.

Comment

• Eagleman
                      Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                      I never suggested you were the only one with that opinion - I didn't even try to tell you that you were wrong or anything like that. I was just hoping you'd explain what you meant a bit more, since you were the most recent one to say it. I agree that Soarin' is great without 3D...but that doesn't mean 3D wouldn't be an improvement. Pirates would still be great without the big battle scene between the ship and the town, for instance, but that doesn't mean they may as well have not included it.
                      Thank You for your last comment
                      I seen your work and I have say I like them!
                      I see your point you would like see thing's improve and I think there
                      is alot to it with Disneyland and Disney Parks that needs
                      improvement.
                      Most of time I would agreed with you!
                      But not in this case...ther is a old term I know you have hear
                      If not broke why fix it.....
                      I have seen to many time how Disney make things better
                      and srew it up bad.......
                      And I know you have too!.....and that my point!

Question: what part in the show you like...?
                      I like the ending the best ........with the fireworks at
                      Disneyland..
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• WDITrent
                        We Go On.
                        • Jun 2008

Eagleman, what is it about 3D that you think will ruin the ride? I believe this is the unanswered question Datameister has been asking.

Comment

• Eagleman
                          Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                          Eagleman, what is it about 3D that you think will ruin the ride? I believe this is the unanswered question Datameister has been asking.
                          I did anwer the question,
                          There is alot's attraction's already in 3-D !
                          I think it's well done in imax.....
                          To mush 3-D is not good for the eye's any way!
                          Mostly - To mush can be to MUSH......!
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 11-10-2009, 12:45 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• simba
                            Lion
                            • May 2008

Soarin (the current film or new film) in 3D would be INCREDIBLE. The effect is already great, but putting it in 3D... the "wow" factor would be through the roof.

Comment

• WestsideCM99
                              Banned User
                              • May 2009

When Soarin first opened the movie quality was fantastic and thus the perception that 3D would have made a huge difference in the ride quality probably wan't that great to justify the cost. What TDA needs to do now is ride it themselves to see how much the quality of the film as deminished and somehow try to remaster it. However if there is a new 'World' version of the ride planned I would hope that at the least they upgrade the projectors and cameras to the highest Hi Def standards to sustain the quality of the movie. Adding 3D would be nice but perhaps not necessary if the film upgraded to a more advanced digital format.

Comment

Did the video quality really degrade or has our expecation of video quality just increased so much?

I guess making the projection digital would get rid of the imperfections on the screen but Ive only been on three seperate occasions so I cant really remember if it was clearer in 2002 or not.

Comment

• Eagleman
                                  Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

I a question:
                                  Have there been any IMAX film done in 3-D ?
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                                    I a question:
                                    Have there been any IMAX film done in 3-D ?
                                    Yes. See the Wikipedia article and its citations for the IMAX 3D technology.

Comment

• Eagleman
                                      Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                      Yes. See the Wikipedia article and its citations for the IMAX 3D technology.
                                      I read what you sent to me over Wikipedia great information !

What I got out of it that HD is better than 3 - D when comes to
                                      the Information you sent...on IMAX!
                                      Funny it also share about Soarin' Over California and was done in HD!
                                      Did I read that right?
                                      Last edited by Eagleman; 11-10-2009, 12:47 PM.
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Yea. Soarin' was done in IMAX HD.

Comment

• WestsideCM99
                                          Banned User
                                          • May 2009

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                          Did the video quality really degrade or has our expecation of video quality just increased so much?

I guess making the projection digital would get rid of the imperfections on the screen but Ive only been on three seperate occasions so I cant really remember if it was clearer in 2002 or not.
                                          IMAX movies tend to have a low quality lifespan due to the fact that it uses a special 70mm film put together into massive reels. Unless the film is kept clean and is never put at risk for de-magnetization the film quality could progressively go down the drain much faster than standard 35mm formats. Unfortunately digital technology has been resisted by many IMAX concept designers and as of today there still isnt a digital projector prototype to be found yet.

Specifically in the case of Soarin in DCA the film suffers from major image clarity issues caused by strobing, the brightness of the film has deminished alot since SoC opened probably due to the film getting dirty and progressively burned by the concentrated light from the projector lamp tube (it's a huge lamp). In particular the San Diego scene the sky looks like it is pre-dawn when on opening day it looked like maybe 9am and sunny, with a hint of fog. And now the fog seems to blend in with the daylight making San Diego look like it's under attack by wildfires again.

There is a current IMAX 3D format that seems to be progressing faster than digital HD is, however both would cost Disney a good chunk of change with Digital HD costing less to maintain should in the next 2 years we see a digital projector technology introduced.. hopefully Disney will have the entrapaneurship to try to invent this technology itself and not depend on the IMAX engineers instead.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X