Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Would Rocket Rods have ever worked?

If there was a full track replacement with banked turns, new cars, and a little more to look at do you think the Rocket Rods would have worked and stayed longer than they did? Would you like to see a revamped version come back?
    Yes
    59.22%
    Absolutely not!
    40.78%
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Re: Would Rocket Rods have ever worked?

Absolutely not, Rocket Rods was just a stain in Tomorrowland, the lines were unbearabley long for a ride that is only 30 seconds and plus it's not like we can enjoy the view of Tomorrowland since the riders are too busy getting tossed around everywhere =/

I think Rocket Rods should stay buried 6ft. under.

Comment

I LOVED the Rocket Rods. I got to go on them ONCE while they were open - it was, ironically, midnight of new year's eve turning 1999. It was a pretty cool event.

I think that the ride could work. There was generally a long line for the ride... from my experience and from what I've heard.
      ~Amber
      The Impossible Possible

Comment

i apologize for my lack of disney knowledge, but what's rocket rods?

was that the white space rocket thing spinning at the top of the thing that was like astro orbitor?
        Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
        You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
        Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Let's face it, a demonstration transport system in a loop that doesn't transport you anywhere like their contemporary counterparts in airports all over the world is no longer futuristic.

The PeopleMover should take you back to the parking garages and something new and exciting without the baggage associated with the Rocket Rods implementation disaster should take the place on that right of way.

IMO the next attraction should be a vehicle you and your party "drive" through the skies. Like Rocket Rods without the albatross.

Maybe an enclosed pod like the Jetsons flew in, or like in The Incredibles.

Comment

Yes, it would have. If the factors mentioned (especially banked turns) were in fact added, I believe it would have been successful.

Comment

Sure! If the attraction actually worked and with perhaps a little more attention to the details, it would be fine. I have no problem with the eventual replacement being a slower ride, but Rocket Rods proved that people will wait for a faster one on those tracks, too.

Comment

If it works, had banked curves, and could load more people, sure. I always wanted to see a combination of Test Track and the Peoplemover - a Test Track type of ride with a view of Tomorrowland.

Comment

Yes it could have EASILY worked and with very little cost for corrections, the speed, accelerations and decelerations of the vehicles was all computer controlled, you see what you do is you get the programmer and a keyboard hook them up to the computer and alter the software just a bit to slow it on some of the turns that were causing trouble till the trouble stops this may have been in some cases and almost unnoticeable change in speed to the guests. This would have been the simple common sense approach. Did they do this? NO, instead at a high cost they closed it down and gutted it out and then just like GM and their electric cars Disney co. destroyed all the vehicles so that no one could steal the technology... wow that was such a smart decision dont ya think folks???

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Comment

Yes, but only if the Rocket Rods were placed in Disney's California Adventure, right between the Maliboomer and the planned Little Mermaid dark ride...

... otherwise, the California Theme would be all thrown off.
                    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

Comment

Originally posted by GothicManor View Post
                      Yes it could have EASILY worked and with very little cost for corrections, the speed, accelerations and decelerations of the vehicles was all computer controlled, you see what you do is you get the programmer and a keyboard hook them up to the computer and alter the software just a bit to slow it on some of the turns that were causing trouble till the trouble stops this may have been in some cases and almost unnoticeable change in speed to the guests.
                      That's exactly what they did, and that's exactly what the problem was - the vehicles had to slow down going into every turn and then speed back up again for the straightaways. Really did a number on the Rocket Rods, which is why they broke down so much and eventually were closed altogether. And the frequent acceleration was noticeable.

Comment

According to these photos it is coming back...

I heard it is sometime around April 1st... :whistling
                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

)

Comment

Anything given the right amount of funding, backing, and proper parts would work beautifully. Sadly, though, Rocket Rods didn't have 100% of any of that. It's a shame. I think the "concept" could have worked had more time, money, and energy were to have been put into the attraction.

...Joe...

Comment

I only rode Rocket Rods twice, but I really liked it. Even the way it was. I'm all for anything to make it better. Hopefully one day it'll come back, or something similar to it.

Comment

If they hadn't followed the Peoplemover track exactly and had smoothed out the turns and banked them, they would of had far less problems. Look at the part where the track enters and exits the Innoventions building; it has to tear through this tight S curve! Same with that little S curve into the Buzz building, could have maintained speed if that turn wasn't so sharp and it was smoothed out.

Comment

I am mixed about it.
                                  BUT it did bring some movement to the Tomorrowland landscape.
                                  Seeing ANYTHING weave in and out of those buildings would make me happy. As long as the track is made use of.

Comment

I loved everything about them ..from the rockin' circle theater to the underground queue tunnel to the zippy ride around Tomorrowland. Too bad that they didn't spend the money to renovate the track from the onset.
                                    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

I 100% believe that Rocket Rods would have worked perfectly had it been given the proper budget to furnish banked turns, actual show scenes, additional track infrastructure, and a fully-themed queue... it's one of my most vivid memories from my first trip to the resort and I'd give so much to see something like it come back.

Comment

I don't think the Rocket Rods themselves were the problem - but the lack of theme was. There seemed to be no point to the ride. I guess the same could be said of the Peoplemover, but at least that was a nice long ride with little wait.

You'd wait 2 hours for Rocket Rods (often for them to break down before you got to ride) and then it was over in a flash - but nothing really happened on the ride except some blinking red lights.

That concept is really dead now. It could have worked the first time around, but they TOTALLY cut the budget and and doomed the ride before it ever opened.

I'd still LOVE to see something on that track. Peoplemover, Rocket Rod 2.0, Incredipods, Meet the Robinsons, . . . Almost anything, but give the ride a purpose and some heart. Perhaps with any luck, Tomorrowland will once again be a place where everything is on the move.
                                        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                                        Save

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X