Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

Gothic Manor, If you're asking us for our opinions, I'd appreciate it if the questions weren't so biased.

Which is better?
    1. The current almost closed off entrance with the astro orbiter.
    2. The original open entrance with fountains and light shows on either side.

#2 out of them.

On the right:

Which is better?
    1. Star Tours (non Disney movie based with no educational value and allot of fantasy violence)
    2. Adventure thru Innerspace with its very educational theme (of course the attraction would be updated with new multimedia technology over the years)

Star Tours! That's going to be updated soon. Plus traveling around the galaxy with the excitement of a star wars enviornment just sounds more fun than traveling into a snowflake.

On the left:

Which is better?
    1. Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters (with its animated movie look painted plywood sets and shoot em up theme)
    2. Rocket Rods queue (with wireframe transportation vehicles of the future (past) videos and informative films in the circarama theater) and on the outside the Space Experience that was short lived.
    3. The Circa rama 360 degree theater (with new films every decade or so)

number one, because it's an actual attraction, though i'd be much happier with something else.

Down the middle and all around:

Which is better?
    1. The WedWay Peoplemover transporation system of tomorrow (intended to illustrate how people would get around in the future in a city environment a companion to the Monorail)
    2. Rocket Rods (strickly for entertainment purposes)
    3. Nothing but an empty station and tracks, which is what we have now

#1, but waaaayyy updated in both design and how it would be more entertaining.

Which is better?
    1. The Rocket Jets (high above tomorrowland on top of the peoplemover station)
    2. Moved to the entrance ground level as the Astro Orbiter.

#1- just not the rocket jets... something else.

Which is better?
    1. Honey I shrunk the Audience
    2. Michael Jacksons Captain Eo (possibly updated with new efx and exteriors)
    3. Videopolis

none of the above, use that space for a space Mountain pre-show with a launch.

Courtyard area:
    1. currently nothing but a big ball
    2. Water fountain for kids to play in and get wet
    3. Flying Saucers (with the bugs worked out)

I'd just re-design the planters there now and eplace the big ball with something less... stupid.

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
    1. A pizza eatery
    2. Mission to Mars (could be updated)
    3. Flight to the Moon (could be updated
    4. A version of both where the guests choose either the moon or mars as destinations as there were two theaters)

Pizza Eatery, it could be updated too, plus we already have a great simulator in TL.

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
    1. Innoventions as it is now with the fabulously futuristic House of the future (sarcasm)
    2. Innoventons as it was
    3. American sings (out of place in tomorrowland but what alot of hi tech show control and a lot of AA fig's)
    4. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (with updated last future scene every 10 yrs or so)

none, an E ticket should go here, something inspired by Horizons.

The Submarine Voyage attraction:

Which is better?
    1. Nemo cartoonized
    2. Original slightly more serious voyage (but could have been updated)

The Autopias:

Which is better?
    1. the current version based on the Chevron cutesy car commercal cars sort of.
    2. the previous version which had two tracks one for adults and one for kids.
    Note: it could be update like the HK version which is all electric and charges at the loading area so that cars are nonstop and non polutting.

none... I think Autopia should just be gone.

The skyway:

Which is better?
    1. Nothing which is what we have now
    2. the baskets that flew up over tomorrowland and the submarine lagoon and thru the caverns of the Matterhorn over Fantasyland landing in the alpine forest area.

The boat ride:

Which is better?
    1. Nothing but a green water unkempt area which is what it is now.
    2. Boat rides that followed and underwater track thru a wooded area by the autopias with the monorail overhead especially fun at night providing a restful time.

2 is better, but I'd enjoy something new and different here, even if it covered up the area with something else.

Comment

Re: Of all the things that have been in Tomorrowland what were the best choices?

Wow, somebody's awfully positive.

Which is better?
      But it's not THAT much more amazing. At least the orbiter brings some motion.

On the right:

Which is better?
      1. Star Tours (non Disney movie based with no educational value and allot of fantasy violence)
      2. Adventure thru Innerspace with its very educational theme (of course the attraction would be updated with new multimedia technology over the years)
      Don't make me choose! They're both wonderful!

Well, okay, I can't speak for ATIS, but the audio is cool and I always hear such wonderful things.

And honestly, I think Star Tours is a good thing for Disney to have. Star Wars is one of the great stories of our time.

On the left:

Which is better?
      1. Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters (with its animated movie look painted plywood sets and shoot em up theme)
      2. Rocket Rods queue (with wireframe transportation vehicles of the future (past) videos and informative films in the circarama theater) and on the outside the Space Experience that was short lived.
      2 fits the theme best, as much as I disliked the Rods.

Which is better?
      1. The WedWay Peoplemover transporation system of tomorrow (intended to illustrate how people would get around in the future in a city environment a companion to the Monorail)
      Again you're right, but there's no need to be such a jerk about it. Plus, peoplemover-type vehicles aren't that futuristic. Nearly every Airport I've ever been to has one.

Which is better?
      The rocket jets used to make me and my mom both throw up.

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
      3. Videopolis
      EO. No two ways about that. And it doesn't even need an update, especially now that MJ's gone.

Space Mtn:
      Since it did not replace anything and has not really changed it does not really apply
      Well, at least you're not complaining about THAT. Good lord, you sound like half of the people I used to play D&D with when 4th edition came out.
      Courtyard area:
      I'd be cool with having either of those back.

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
      1. A pizza eatery
      4. A version of both where the guests choose either the moon or mars as destinations as there were two theaters)
      I love R2P2, but I've always been sad that I'll never get to ride that.

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
      1. Innoventions as it is now with the fabulously futuristic House of the future (sarcasm)
      2. Innoventons as it was
      3. American sings (out of place in tomorrowland but what alot of hi tech show control and a lot of AA fig's)
      4. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (with updated last future scene every 10 yrs or so)
      I'm split because America Sings was a better ride, but the Carousel of Progress fits the theming better.

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it
      Darn tootin'.

Which is better?
      1. Nemo cartoonized
      I haven't been on Nemo yet, but I'm sure it's cool. As good as the voyage was, it was pretty campy.

Is it just me or is even this curmudgeonly fellow prepared to admit that most of these attractions would need an update anyway?

The Autopias:

Which is better?
      Note: it could be update like the HK version which is all electric and charges at the loading area so that cars are nonstop and non polutting.
      Me, I don't see the difference.

The skyway:

Which is better?
      2. the baskets that flew up over tomorrowland and the submarine lagoon and thru the caverns of the Matterhorn over Fantasyland landing in the alpine forest area.
      But that's hardly fair. Obviously something is better than nothing.

The boat ride:

Which is better?
      2. Boat rides that followed and underwater track thru a wooded area by the autopias with the monorail overhead especially fun at night providing a restful time.
      I don't have an answer to this.

Comment

I have to agree with Data... Tomorowland has always lacked a cohesive theme and purpose. Never truly defined as who's future or where. One moment it shows us space travel, the next moment science. One moment we're in the deep blue sea, another moment watching things fly by on film. I think the closest we came to a united Tomorrowland was the 1960's, but I wasn't around so my opinion would be research based only.
        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

If I could go back to visit that part of the Park, I chose the 1967 version. I really liked the CircleVision theater, and the PeopleMover with the rocket flying over head. I do love Star Tours, but ATIS had its merits, as well (as a child, I really did think we shrunk because I could see the people in that microscope - just didn't realize they weren't moving! lol).

If I could choose any era to revisit for the entire Park, I would chose the early 1980's and get a job in the Park!
          sigpic
          Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
            I have to agree with Data... Tomorowland has always lacked a cohesive theme and purpose. Never truly defined as who's future or where. One moment it shows us space travel, the next moment science. One moment we're in the deep blue sea, another moment watching things fly by on film. I think the closest we came to a united Tomorrowland was the 1960's, but I wasn't around so my opinion would be research based only.
            But does Tomorrowland have to define a specific theme? Adventureland features a mix of aesthetics and themes (Boat rides through the African jungle, jeep rides through Asian temples, Polynesian influence), Frontierland has architecture from a wide range of time periods, and Fantasyland's architecture is geographically eclectic (Tudor style, medieval castles, German architecture, etc.). Why can't Tomorrowland also cover a wide range of topics and ideas, provided they don't contradict each other and follow a single theme of exploring our possible future?

Comment

I'd be curious to go back in time to experience attractions before my time, like Adventure Thru Inner Space, but from what I know of it and Tomorrowland's history...

None of the above.

I would probably go at the prime of my childhood years, the very late 80s, a little while after Star Tours opened, and Captain EO would be there, too. And the Skyway. And plenty of the attractions that I didn't experience and/or don't remember, I could experience, without the darn place being ridiculously crowded.

I loved Tomorrowland as a little one. I guess it's not good news to hear the park is empty financially-speaking, but my mother would take me to Disneyland always the day before I had to start back up at school in the fall. And it would be a peaceful, joyful day with my best friend, before I had to return to the nightmare that was school where I was constantly made fun of and felt lonely and miserable...

That place is gone now. I'm sure it didn't look so great in an adult's eyes as it did mine back then, but what would I give for the feeling, for the re-experience of that again? I can't even explain it to you. It was peaceful. It was happy. It was only a day, but I truly got away from it all there.

Comment

(My answers highlighted in RED)

Starting at the entrance:

Which is better?

(By the way .. I think there's some confusion of fountains which did exist IN 1955 ... and a light show, that the poster is theoretically discussing as a possibility.)

My side comments on this: The Tomorrowland entrance should be wide and "inviting". Beckoning for you to come inside. Apart from the cluttered sight of the slanted rocks, and the Astro Orbiter itself .. there are two large trees on both sides of the entrance. These were placed there in the 1970s. While the entrance in 1967 was STRIKING!

See for yourself:
                1967:

(The white edges of the buildings peek out a bit. From a stand point at the hub, it makes the entrance look wider, and that's important for The Land of the Future. It's not suppose to look like a quaint village.)

Then in the 70s .. they planted a larger tree on both sides:

The don't look too intrusive here .. but as the years went on .. landscaping let these trees grow larger ... taking some of the GRANDness of the entrance .. out of Tomorrowland:

These trees have been allowed to grow out way out of control .. and (talk about force perspective) ... the shear size of the trees over the land entrance itself takes something away .. on approach to a land that SHOULD take your breath away.

So .. this is something they need to address when they get around to a major renovation.

On the right:

Which is better?

On the left:

Which is better?

None of the three. Circle-Vision was the one attraction out of the '67 renovation that had no thematic tie into the land of the future. It was a travelogue of the U.S. presented - present day: 1967. Buzz is a toon. Nuff said! Rocket Rods was just one giant joke that should never come back!

Which is better?

Which is better?

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
                3. Videopolis

The Space Stage was a great open-air venue .. with constant new shows .. I prefer that.

Space Mtn:
                Since it did not replace anything and has not really changed it does not really apply

Courtyard area:

Um, LOL .. to do Flying Saucers in the space that was Cosmic Waves ...... is going to give you no room to pivot anywhere. There's no room. This area needs to have NOTHING. It needs to nothing more than a means to get from one corner of the land to another.

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
                1. A pizza eatery

I'd like to see something using "planetarium" type technology .. showing guests areas outside our solar system!

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
                2. Innoventons as it was

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it

Which is better?
                1. Nemo cartoonized

The Autopias:

Which is better?

I don't think the Autopia ever had two lanes .. servicing younger kiddies .. and one for adults.
                I never liked Autopia. There is nothing futuristic about getting in a car, and driving in miniature freeways. We do that today ... with millions of cars out on the roads .. and thousands of miles of freeways that have been here following the WWII years.

It needs to ripped out ... and in place of it .. something that is either going to be futuristic .. or at least a stretch of something futuristic .. that is not common place in the real world!

The skyway:

Which is better?

The boat ride:

Which is better?

The Motor Boat Cruise was part of Fantasyland.
                Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 11-11-2009, 02:32 PM.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I liked the Tomorrowland I hired into in '83.

My vote:
                  ATIS (updated)
                  Circlevision (with a space theme)
                  Mars (updated)
                  Carousel of Progress (with one stage modernized)
                  Jets (on top of Peoplemover platform)
                  Peoplemover
                  Subs (back to the original with updated technology; perhaps with the journey to Atlantis theme)
                  Space (as is)

This makes the Tomorrowland of my dreams totally retro, and a total revisiting of the past.

But that's how I liked it. The educational aspect of ATIS, Circlevision, Mars, CofP, and even Subs made it nice. Passive thrill attractions (or glorified video games) just don't do it for me.

Comment

Which is better?

On the right:

Which is better?

On the left:

Which is better?

I don't know about this one
                    Circle Vision got me sick, Buzz is fun (but not really tomorrowland) and Rocket Rods queue line sucked like no tomorrow.....so I'd say it's a wash

Which is better?

Which is better?

Entry area to Space Mtn:

Which is better?
                    3. Videopolis

I don't know about this. I'd rather see a ride. Only b/c Disney leaves the film there for so many decades (what's so futuristic about a movie that plays over a decade....movie theaters wouldn't survive if they did this)

Space Mtn:

Courtyard area:
                    <---- was never in this area

Pizza port building:

Which is better?
                    1. A pizza eatery

The Carousel building:

Which is better?
                    2. Innoventons as it was

either 3 or 4

The Monorail:

Ok they fixed it

Which is better?
                    1. Nemo cartoonized

The Autopias:

Which is better?
                    2. the previous version which had two tracks one for adults and one for kids. <----don't remember this

The skyway:

Which is better?

The boat ride:

Which is better?
                    Quote by Al:
                    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                    -Al Lutz

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X