This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 15 Years Ago Today...

Actually Bruce they were required to make one station Ada compliant so people in wheel chairs could get to the station and then a gondola to fit a wheel chair which would then force them to widen the hole in the Matterhorn which wasn't worth it. There were other issues but that was the main thing that ruined it. Cal OSHA grandfathers things in that's why the people movers were allowed to continue for a few more years but can never come back.

Comment

Damn I miss that ride.

Micenation

Comment

I was always under the impresion the Skyway was cut because it was the victim of the old close one attraction open another plan.

Skyway closed in 94 Indy open in 95.

I can't see any reason why the ADA would have been involved, the Skyway would have been grandfathered just like the Peoplemover. As long as no walls are moved or added the ADA would not apply.

The guy that "fell" out of the Skyway actually learned a tough lesson, when your at DL people have cameras, Disney legal had footage of the guy reaching out and opening his own door, not very smart.

Comment

Wow, I never knew that about the $2.00 Monorail trip.

My Mom was always confused by getting on and off the omnimovers at both the Haunted Mansion and Adventure thru Inner Space. The vehicles were moving at one speed, while the rotating platform was moving at a slower speed. She could never figure out where to step and when, and wouldn't go on those any more. If you looked down and tried to mentally calculate what to do, it was kind of weird. You had to just look at the vehicle and aim for that without thinking about the platform speed. I'm pretty sure the PeopleMover vehicles went very slowly in the station, the same speed as the platform, but I'm not 100% sure.

The Skyway had no moving platform, they just brought the vehicle to a stop for a few seconds for you to get in, then closed and locked the door and swung the vehicle around the end turning thing and you were on your way. I'm sure they could stop it as long as necessary, but there was kind of a feeling of being rushed onto it.

Comment

Skyway was way too carny for Disneyland, good riddance.

Comment

Not in Walt's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by napamaninsocal View Post
                Get over it
                No. And please be nicer to those of us that miss the ride- we're entitled to our opinions, too, you know.

I don't remember much of it, but I've been on the SkyFari at the San Diego Zoo, and that has kept in my mind why having one is such a wonderful way to easily travel long distances, above crowds, and get to relax, at the same time. Ahh... the proverbial "good ol' days".

Comment

Originally posted by Ruiner View Post
                  Actually Bruce they were required to make one station Ada compliant so people in wheel chairs could get to the station and then a gondola to fit a wheel chair which would then force them to widen the hole in the Matterhorn which wasn't worth it.
                  I wonder how all the other existing skyway-type attractions in the country get away with being non ADA compliant...

Comment

The Skyway was pretty exciting for actually being so tame. It always made my palms sweat...Ferris wheels do the same thing. I really miss the ride, such a unique view of Disneyland. I don't, however, miss the ugly cables stretched across the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Imag1neer View Post
                      Skyway was way too carny for Disneyland, good riddance.
                      It was both cutting-edge technology and of European design--perfect for both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

Comment

Skyway was an example of "the park is the ride" concept because the "show aspect" of it was the park itself and the people in the park.

The Skyride at Sea World in San Diego is still operating and it goes over the water of Mission Bay - you feel the ocean breeze and look down at the choppy waters below. The Skyfari at the San Diego Zoo is still in operation and starts out at a normal height, but then you go over a deep canyon and you're way above the ground for a time. Magic Mountain in Valencia used to have a similar ride called Eagle's Flight, which was higher up than the Disneyland one, but it's not there any more. The Sky Tower still is though. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk still has the Sky Glider ride. Trees of Mystery in Klamath, California has a similar ride called the Sky Trail, which goes through a redwood forest. And of course the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, which started operation in 1963, is still there and goes through 5 climate zones from desert to alpine. These rides remind me more of ski resorts than carnivals.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
                          The Americans with Disabilities Act had nothing to do with it, that's just a convenient Whipping Boy to hide the real reason. The ADA has always had a 'Grandfathered' Clause - They couldn't build it new without full access, but unless they made major changes to the old buildings and old ride system they could leave it as-is. And any reasonable steps they made to improve access wouldn't trigger a total redo either.

IMHO they closed down both of the Skyways for the extensive maintenance needed (they probably were at the "Change the Wire Rope and Annual Rebuild" point) the ongoing high labor costs to staff the ride, and most important were liability issues.

There was a close call in 1994 when a Guest climbed out of a DL bucket and fell ~20' into a tree, with only minor injuries - but sued anyway. Then there was a fatality accident at WDW involving a Cast Member in 1999. Snopes did a write-up on both.

Disney has insurance for the 'Big Stuff' and Self-Insures for the 'Little Stuff'. I don't know whether it was Disney Legal or the insurer who said "too big a liability, close it down" but I'll bet you that was a big factor in the decision. Both shutdowns were made in the same calendar year as the incidents - that's a pattern that can not be ignored.

"Okay, we keep it running for another six months so we can deny it was unsafe at the time of the incident. Don't train any new operators, and tell maintenance not to order more spare parts, use up the ones we have on hand..."

--<< Bruce >>--
                          Great points,
                          One more point to mention is that the skyway types rides can cause lots of repetitive stress injuries to the cast members operating them, for opening and locking the doors and grabbing holding the gondolas for loading and then moving them back onto the "wire" for dispatch. So that may have also played a small factor in the overall decision. Also the security aspect of dealing with the punk's who would spit on guests and cause general havock, etc, was another man power factor that they may not have wanted to deal with anymore. I am sure all those factors along with the costs of upkeep and insurance, sealed the attractions fate. Cedar Point still has a large "Skyway" type ride, it is very cool to still get to ride it. Of course it is not as cool as Disneylands ever was since it does not go through the Matterhorn or over fantasy land but it is still fun!

Comment

At least Great America still has one, its called eagles flight

Comment

All I remember about the ride was seeing all the hats near the track when it went through the Matterhorn. For some reason that image stuck with me.
                              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruiner View Post
                                Actually Bruce they were required to make one station Ada compliant so people in wheel chairs could get to the station and then a gondola to fit a wheel chair which would then force them to widen the hole in the Matterhorn which wasn't worth it. There were other issues but that was the main thing that ruined it. Cal OSHA grandfathers things in that's why the people movers were allowed to continue for a few more years but can never come back.
                                CalOSHA has nothing to do with ADA, only with the potential repetitive motion injuries of all the CM's hostlering the cabins through the station by hand.

Once you came off the wire, they had to stop the gondolas by hand, open the door by hand (which also involved kicking, toe-ing or kneeing the safety latch that the riders can't reach), and steady the gondola from swinging by hand as one batch of Guests got out and another got in. Then close and latch the door, and push it around to the Launch area where another CM would send out the gondolas at regularly spaced intervals - by hand.

They could have rigged up a wheel on the bottom of the gondolas and a guide channel in the station floor to stabilize them, and a motorized movement system in the station, and made a new 'Side Track' to load and unload a HCA gondola - but it would have been a total redesign and a massive investment.

And even with the newer square gondolas, a HCA car would have room for 1 small wheelchair and 1 attendant/friend, and be stuffed in. No electric chairs unless you backed in the door and that's it, and no room to move if you had a medical emergency.

Oh, and no easy way to do an emergency evacuation of the HCA cabin with a typical FD Ladder Truck or basket lift. That could be really sticky.
                                Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                I wonder how all the other existing skyway-type attractions in the country get away with being non ADA compliant...
                                Simple - they don't claim to be or try to be compliant, and most people with abilities problems understand this.

"We can stop the ride for a minute to let you board, and give you a helping hand, but if you can't transfer in and transfer out it can't be done, sorry."

Palm Springs is a fully enclosed cabin, and there is a PSAT Attendant in there with you to discourage throwing things out the window. San Diego's goes mostly over water and vegetation, so no people, no spitting on people.

With the DL and WDW Skyways going over "populated areas" it was an attractive nuisance for the spitters and water squirters. Not to mention all the paper airplanes and little parachutes launched, hand-rolled "herbal cigarettes" smoked...

Times and people change.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessIzzie View Post

[Edit: Can anyone tell me where the old Fantasyland Station is? Someone above mentioned it being covered by weeds and such but I've never noticed it before and want to look out for it next time I visit!]
                                  you can see it really well when you are riding Casey jr. There is usually a Christmas tree in there during Christmas time!
                                  Good morning, son
                                  In twenty years from now
                                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                  It was pain
                                  Sunny days and rain
                                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                    My Mom was always confused by getting on and off the omnimovers at both the Haunted Mansion and Adventure thru Inner Space. The vehicles were moving at one speed, while the rotating platform was moving at a slower speed. She could never figure out where to step and when, and wouldn't go on those any more. If you looked down and tried to mentally calculate what to do, it was kind of weird. You had to just look at the vehicle and aim for that without thinking about the platform speed. I'm pretty sure the PeopleMover vehicles went very slowly in the station, the same speed as the platform, but I'm not 100% sure.
                                    Yeah, the Peoplemover didn't scare me nearly as much as the Haunted Mansion did as a child because the Peoplemover was slow enough and went the same speed as the platform. I was still kind of scared of the "boarding a moving vehicle" concept though, which is kind of the opposite of what every other ride pounds into your head. Boarding the Haunted Mansion was scarier though because, as you said, the platform and the vehicles move at different speeds and it's really weird. I was also always scared that I wouldn't be able to get out of the vehicle fast enough and end up riding to some strange place. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wweecwdude View Post
                                      At least Great America still has one, its called eagles flight
                                      Oh yeah I saw that one in June 2008. There's also a small one in SF New England that I rode a year before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
                                        Times and people change.
                                        Exactly.

Knowing the punk *** kids that populate the park now, it would be a disaster waiting to happen.
                                        Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

Comment

Originally posted by napamaninsocal View Post
                                          Get over it
                                          That was totally unnecessary .. and very immature!
                                          MY SIGNATURE:
                                          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X