X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 15 Years Ago Today...

Originally posted by PrincessIzzie View Post

[Edit: Can anyone tell me where the old Fantasyland Station is? Someone above mentioned it being covered by weeds and such but I've never noticed it before and want to look out for it next time I visit!]
    That was me. Imagine yourself exiting the Village Haus restaurant. Directly in front of you are a set of vending wagons. Directly behind one is a chained off staircase. That staircase leads directly to the Fantasyland loading station of the Skyway.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
      It was both cutting-edge technology and of European design--perfect for both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.
      It was cutting edge when it was built, not today. The attraction seemed "out of theme" to me anyway... I still miss it though, but do not want it back. I'll just take a drive to the San Diego Zoo or SeaWorld if I want to experience it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Madame_Leota View Post
        I was also always scared that I wouldn't be able to get out of the vehicle fast enough and end up riding to some strange place. lol.
        For the record, that 'strange place' is just an empty corridor with a roll door to the maintenance area. Then the doom buggies emerge in loading.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
          I wonder how all the other existing skyway-type attractions in the country get away with being non ADA compliant...
          Don't forget about state/county fairs where they're designed to go anywhere. They're not permanent fixtures like the Disneyland skyway and they're more ski lift like where you're on a hanging bench instead of an enclosed car. How do they get away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruiner View Post
            Another attraction that had to be taken out because of stupid ada compliance rules.
            As someone who had to unexpectedly come face-to-face with handicap accessibility at Disneyland, I rather appreciate the "stupid ADA compliance rules", and if you were in the same situation I bet you would as well.
            *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
            *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
            *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

Originally posted by oo_nrb View Post
              As someone who had to unexpectedly come face-to-face with handicap accessibility at Disneyland, I rather appreciate the "stupid ADA compliance rules", and if you were in the same situation I bet you would as well.
              My quadraplegic brother in law calls the place "The Unhappiest Place On Earth"

Comment

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
                I thought that accessibility at Disneyland was decent for what they had to work with; not nearly as bad as the horrors of Universal Studios Hollywood.
                *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
                *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
                *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

I thought that accessibility at Disneyland was decent for what they had to work with; not nearly as bad as the horrors of Universal Studios Hollywood.

He hasn't returned to the park in many years, but his wife (my sis) tells me things have improved at Disneyland greatly since his last visit.
                  I attended a concert with him at the Gibson Amphitheater (formerly the Unversal Amphitheater) a few years back which is located on the grounds of Universal, and he had no trouble getting around the city walk or the Amphitheater grounds. I have no idea how it would be in the theme park.

Comment

I would love for them to bring it back.
                    I have never been able to ride it and its a bummer that i didnt get to, cuz it looks amazing. Imagine the photos we could take from there.

Comment

There will always be a giant missing gap in DL, as long as the Skyway is missing

And speaking of other horrendous news from 15 years ago, the Decade of Disney in Decline started, with the death of Frank Wells in 1994.

And ALSO, Paul Pressler was named President of The Disneyland Resort in November, 1994.

Yeesh, what an awful year for Disney and DL.
                      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
                        It's gotten a Whole Lot Better over the last 15 years or so, and we've had family members with mobility problems so I've noticed...

As various rides have gone down for rehabs they have added wheelchair ramps, and access elevators, and widened and rerouted queues, and set up formalized and sometimes dedicated HCA access routes in through a side door or the exit queue, redesigned ride vehicles, and added Wheelchair Roll-On vehicles to some old rides, and...

They didn't have to do it in most cases, but they did it. They never had to do anything structural to Tiki Room past a new roof and a freshen-up, but they added an electric Wheelchair Lift from the queue lanai to the rear (exit) porch - and they disguised it to where you have to look for it to see iut... Now you don't have to help/carry people up the stairs or haul the wheelchair up six steps to get in.

Heck, they added a perfectly themed wheelchair ramp at Plaza Pavillion, and it only opened for one weekend after that as a restaurant before closing semi-permanently. It's been the (On again Off again) Annual Passholder Processing Center since.

--<< Bruce >>--
                        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X