Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Animated Character Faces for Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Animated Character Faces for Disneyland?

I was wondering why Disneyland has not started using some of the animated faced characters like DisneyWorld does? Especially for the likes of Fantasmic where Mickey is talking to us. I saw the animated characters at Disneyworld last year and was blown away by how much it adds.

*by animated I mean that they blink and their mouths move etc.. Its really incredible.

Any idea or knowledge?

Re: Animated Character Faces for Disneyland?

Maybe because they're creepy?

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
      Seconded. I wouldn't mind them being used for Fantasmic, because you're at a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Make that a third. I have seen viedos or pictures from a friend of mine that lives there and when took a picture of Minnie with her eyes close it just creep me out. I do not want them to bring them over here. The only thing I would like Disneyland have that WDW has is. Jose, Panchito & Horace Horsecollar.

Comment

It does look kinda creepy but it really adds a lot of...um...character to the...um...characters.

Here's a video for those that haven't seen it before. It gets good around 0:40
          [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663GPPp9y_4]YouTube - NEW Dream Along with Mickey Part I of 4[/ame]

btw this is my first post :blush:

Comment

Originally posted by F!an View Post
            It does look kinda creepy but it really adds a lot of...um...character to the...um...characters.

Here's a video for those that haven't seen it before. It gets good around 0:40
            YouTube - NEW Dream Along with Mickey Part I of 4

btw this is my first post :blush:
            GREAT FIRST POST!! But i have to agree with everyone.. i lets keep that in Florida. The mouths and eyes moving really creep me out.
            Jennifer
            http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
            Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

Comment

Adds a new flavor to the characters. I wonder how heavy the head of the costume is for the CM's though?
              DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

Comment

I don't get it, on the video, those look pretty great. I always thought it was mildly creepy that the characters weren't able to speak, I mean, as a kid, I was very aware that they were different because of this. The characters I knew from the cartoons were able to speak, but at Disneyland, they weren't. Always seemed odd. I wish I could see a close up on this video to see in what way you all seem to be creeped out by them...

Comment

I don't know if this makes sense, but to me, these characters seem almost too animated. Like to the point where it's almost distracting. I'll stick to my classic, life-less stare character heads, please!

Comment

i rather like the idea

Comment

I actually like the idea of more animated show characters...i guess it would be too much to have these versions as walk around characters in the park, but for shows? If we had these versions of the characters for fantasmic and whatnot i think it would be good

SUPPORT THE CMs

sigpic
                      For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Comment

^^
                        I agree. I thought the show in that video looked really good. I haven't seen the animated face characters in person but I didn't think it looked creepy as part of that show. I can see how it could be kinda creepy during a meet and greet but I think it could be really dynamic during shows, especially F!

Comment

i like the further-animated characters a lot.

but i agree that it wouldn't really work as a stand/walkaround character, only in shows. because in shows, the dialogue is already pre-recorded, and it would be weird if a walkaround character only said a few repeated pre-recorded phrases, unless there was a voice changer also built-in, but i'm pretty sure it'll sound nothing like mickey (or any given character that it's supposed to be)..
                          -plagued

Comment

When I first heard about this technology, I thought for sure it would fall smack dab in the deepest part of Uncanny Valley. But having seen the video, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. It helps that this set of performers has just the right energy and play off each other well.

As long as they only use them in shows, parades, etc. where there is pre-programmed dialogue to sync the movements to and some distance from the guests (which reduces the creep factor), I think these could work.
                            Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

I actually happen to like the idea, it adds to the show, but they should only use them in shows or parades, not for character meets, it would be kinda creepy to see the mouth and eyes move but no voice coming out of it. They could use the current costumes they use now for character meets
                              Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Maybe for a show I would say yes, but not not for meet n' greets.
                                sigpic
                                Home away from Home.

Comment

Is it just me or does WDW have the strangest entertainment dept?

At least they have more characters though.

Comment

Mickey and Minnie look like they're trying to gum their Jello down at the old folks home.

Comment

That was slightly scary. On the one hand now when I go to Disneyland and see characters I'll think about how unsuperior the technology and the costumes are. On the other hand, It would be really scary having those costumes walk around, and I can already see little kids crying. Oh yah and super long picture lines (As if they weren't long enough)

Not really sure what I want anymore.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
                                        That was slightly scary. On the one hand now when I go to Disneyland and see characters I'll think about how unsuperior the technology and the costumes are.
                                        Eh, I wouldn't call the costumes superior, they're just more complex.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X