This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Attraction decay

List elements, features or details of an attraction that don't work any more, or aren't there any more, or are not as good as they originally were. Things where people say, "(Attraction) used to have this cool thing that...." or "The ____ doesn't do anything any more" or "Sometimes the ____ is working, sometimes not." or "I liked the original ____ in that attraction better." etc.

Re: Attraction decay

Pirates of the Caribbean used to have pirates chasing the ladies around in circles (not for good intentions, but it was accurate!). At the end of that sequence, one lady with a voluptuous behind chased a pirate around with a smile on her face.

Now, only one woman is chased, and she has food in her hands that the pirate wants. The others have the woman chasing the pirates, with brooms in their hands, and at least one of the pirates has his arms full of valuables.

Some truth has been removed, piracy is further romanticized and glossed-over, the tone is less authentic and dangerous, and the punchline is destroyed!

Y'all know how I feel about this ride.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

Yes I remember the voluptuous woman chasing the skinny pirate around. I remember people on the boat laughing mildly at it. I don't remember anyone ever complaining about it. Maybe the park received letters from the attorneys of voluptuous women who like skinny pirates. I always thought it was weird how they could run in perfect circles with no up-or-down motion whatsoever.

Comment

The burning cabin!
        "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
        YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
        Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
        (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Comment

i'm having a hard time remembering the burning cabin

where was it again?
          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Back side of Tom Sawyer's Island, visible from the ROA or the DLRR.

Comment

ok that's what i thought it was somewhere on the ROA
              i just couldn't think where

but ok yeah i remember now, thanks!
              Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
              You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
              Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

The Pirate from POTC that dumped water on you.

Comment

I remember 20 years and more ago that I used to get to the Park first thing in the morning when it opened - usually around 8 a.m. - and stayed until the Park closed at midnight and remember being disappointed it was closed already. Then, the next morning I would get up and do it again until midnight.

Now the Park is apparently so much bigger than it used to be that I get completely tired out around 7 p.m.! The next morning I get up around 8, go to a leisurely breakfast at Rainforest, get in the Park around 10, and am ready to leave around 8.

When did the Park get so big? I liked it better 20 years ago!
                  sigpic
                  Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
                    i'm having a hard time remembering the burning cabin

where was it again?
                    here is a picture of both the burning cabin and the deeply missed keel boat around 1994.

sigpic
                    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

The early Monorails were CLASSY. The new one seems good too. In between, BLEAH, might as well be riding between terminals at some airport somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        I always thought it was weird how they could run in perfect circles with no up-or-down motion whatsoever.
                        Their legs do move in a running motion, and in the case of the chubby lady, her butt shakes a lot, too. It's really funny. )

Comment

I think it's the first drop that you go down on Splash, the turtle is singing along to the song and when his jaw opens and closes, it makes an awful clanking noise. It kinda makes me laugh every time I go by it.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

Lampwick on the original Pinnochio ride was seen smoking a big cigar.
                            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Where do I begin?? How about Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Three Hour Line?

The falling ice "rocks" that they gave up on early - the ice machine couldn't keep up, so rather than design an elaborate conveyor system to recycle the ice they just pulled the plug.

All the spark and smoke and fire effects crossing the bridge in the main caverns that rocked for a few months when the ride first opened, and then faded away to never get refurbished.

All the queue gags that break quickly and then they take their sweet time rebuilding them. You'd thing by the fiftieth time the Bamboo Pole broke they would find a way to redesign it so they don't break as fast.

--<< Bruce >>--
                              There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I still miss my good 'ol Rocket Rods. But you surely can't miss the Burning Cabin. Classic.

I don't know if this counts, but I remember Pre-DCA with the ginormous parking lot and also during DCA Construction the construction walls that had tiny glass windows for viewing at the front entrance.
                                California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
                                  Where do I begin?? How about Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Three Hour Line?

The falling ice "rocks" that they gave up on early - the ice machine couldn't keep up, so rather than design an elaborate conveyor system to recycle the ice they just pulled the plug.

All the spark and smoke and fire effects crossing the bridge in the main caverns that rocked for a few months when the ride first opened, and then faded away to never get refurbished.

All the queue gags that break quickly and then they take their sweet time rebuilding them. You'd thing by the fiftieth time the Bamboo Pole broke they would find a way to redesign it so they don't break as fast.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                  The Bamboo pole has been working for quite some time now. The smoke effects are getting refurbed currently. I've noticed several qorking that hadn't worked for quite a while.

The ice machine simply was just too complicated and required high maintainence. It might get looked at again........

Comment

The Skyway/Peoplemover/Rocket Jets/Old Tomorrowland!

Tom Sawyers Island, back when you could kill yourself playing tag.....It was so much more fun!

All of the HM's pop-up ghosts jumping at full speed and the shriek that used to accompany them. Now, they just barely peek over their tombstones not even long enough to say "boo."

Also,
                                    ITT: Depression

Comment

Circle Vision! I loved it.

Comment

I am too young to have seen this, but what about the opening/closing doors on the drop after the final lift on BTRR?

The old mine train across from TSI that used to have the marmots is practically done for.

The smoke that used to come out of the chimneys above Mr. Toads.

Does Monstro's blow-hole still work?

Do the bubbles still appear on Splash Mountain after a long goes down the final drop?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X