This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Sales Tax.

Have you guys ever noticed that in some stores at the DLR don't charge sales tax?
    I bought "Holiday Candy Corn" at Marcelline's Confectionery and they didn't charge me for sales tax.
    I asked why it was..and they said because of "Union stuff."
    Where have you guys been in DLR and not been charged sales tax?

Re: Sales Tax.

I thought if you purchase a food related item there is no sales tax? I thought only non-food items were charged a sales tax? I could be wrong though.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

Comment

Same here ^^^ I thought food does not charged sale tax unless it's hot food. You bought candy, so I assumed is food therefore no tax
      My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
      http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Comment

I though sales tax was already included in the price. On the price boards it usually states that the tax is already included in the price given, at least I thought it was.

Comment

I think it's because it's a food item. Even in Seattle, where I live, there's no tax on food.

Comment

This is a complicated issue and varies from store to store. Many variables take place (especially when food is involved) such as the product served, are there seats available, how many seats etc. Most establishments are reviewed before opening and told if they should charge tax or not. An easy way of explaining this is that to get a cup of coffee at 7-11, you are not charged sales tax, but at Starbucks you are.

If you ever have questions as to why you are/aren't charged sales tax, it's best to first ask the establishment you are visiting. If you are not satisfied with that answer, the Franchise Tax Board welcomes inquiries. (I would provide a link here, but unfortunately that's in a file at work... It's either the Franchise Tax Board or Board of equaliztion. I'll update this when I can check at work...)
            sigpic

Comment

It's the Board of Equalization. Generally, you are not taxed on food items. However, so items prepared are taxable. Then it depends if you eat it in-house or to go. For example, at subway if you buy a cold sandwich it's NOT taxable. However, if you buy a HOT sandwich it is taxable. Seriously, next time you go ask them.

Comment

That's correct. If it's a food item there is no tax.

However, if it's a food item that is cooked on premesis, it's taxed.

Example:

Subway Sandwich - non-toasted cold cut = NO TAX
                Subway Sandwich - toasted or heated up (chicken, etc) = TAX

Go to your local subway and get a $5 sub toasted and another one non-toasted. You "should" get charged tax on the toasted one.

Comment

bstone and grimgrinner got it right on. It's really complex, but in general food items are tax-exempt. Even at your local grocery store, some food items are exempt (not all). Here's a link to some examples of what is and isn't exempt and when:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
                    This is a complicated issue and varies from store to store. Many variables take place (especially when food is involved) such as the product served, are there seats available, how many seats etc. Most establishments are reviewed before opening and told if they should charge tax or not. An easy way of explaining this is that to get a cup of coffee at 7-11, you are not charged sales tax, but at Starbucks you are.

If you ever have questions as to why you are/aren't charged sales tax, it's best to first ask the establishment you are visiting. If you are not satisfied with that answer, the Franchise Tax Board welcomes inquiries. (I would provide a link here, but unfortunately that's in a file at work... It's either the Franchise Tax Board or Board of equaliztion. I'll update this when I can check at work...)
                    I know it's complicated, but wanted to add that I'm not charged sales tax at Starbucks for coffee.

Comment

Ok. So it's been a month of so since I've worked in there and unless they've drastically changed something, pretty much everything in Candy Palace is taxed, including the apples. So what's the explanation for that one?
                      sigpic

Comment

I was charged sales tax on a Dole Whip at the Tiki Juice Bar at the entrance to Adventureland, and it came to $3.03 which I thought was a stupid amount to collect. They should just set the price so that with tax it comes to an even $3.00. Then they wouldn't have to mess with change, and that would speed up the line a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                          I know it's complicated, but wanted to add that I'm not charged sales tax at Starbucks for coffee.
                          My guess is that Starbucks prices are tax inclusive. Just like if you go to your local bar and buy a pint of beer for $4, that price includes tax.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Peace_N_Love View Post
                              Ok. So it's been a month of so since I've worked in there and unless they've drastically changed something, pretty much everything in Candy Palace is taxed, including the apples. So what's the explanation for that one?
                              "Gift" food items are taxed, so maybe that is the reason...

Comment

[...]pretty much everything in Candy Palace is taxed, including the apples. So what's the explanation for that one?
                                Thanks Bob for looking that up:

It is a very thorny question, but if they are taxing it there is a reason. If they aren't there is also a reason and it's probably gone through a team of lawyers on Disney's end as well as the State Tax Board's end.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Here in Oregon there is no sales tax. .

But when i went to Disneyland, and also looked at a few places to eat there, i saw some signs that said "tax included in price". So either some stuff they include the tax in the price, and some they dont, or, the stuff that is exempt, they try and make you feel better by saying that they include it.

Comment

Some food is considered "food" and some is considered "merchandise" depending on how it is packaged. If you're gonna eat it now, it's food. If it's in a bag and you are eating it later, it's merch. Or as they told me at WDW when I was trying to figure what I could get as a snack on the DDP, "If it's on a stick, it's a snack. If it's in a bag, it's merchandise."
                                    A signature should go here.

Comment

Supposedly the food tax laws are set up so that 'necessaries' like meat, dairy, produce are not taxed, but items that are prepared by someone else are. So potatoes at the grocery store = no tax. French fries at McDonald's = taxed.

Interesting side note: If you're a gardener, you'll notice that vegetable seeds are not taxed, but ornamental seeds are. So pumpkin seeds = no tax. Delphinium seeds = taxed.

Comment

When I worked there years ago, we were told that since there is no admission tax charged for entrance to the park, the tax laws were applied differently on things such as candy. Could have been CM BS, but that was what the leads told us to tell guests who asked why they were charged tax.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X