X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures from the past

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. The Main Street Electrical Parade was great and the music from it is an indelible memory. I miss the America the Beautiful film, even though I can see how someone could easily get motion sickness. There was a lot of motion, in fact I think one of the scenes was where they drove down Lombard Street in San Francisco, the "crookedest street in the world." But I always enjoyed the film. The camera they used to film it is interesting too:

Awesome photos! I just saw that camera in person at the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco just a few days ago. It may have been an earlier version though.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
      Just in case anyone missed it, there is outstanding footage of Disneyland from 1961 or 1962, filmed for the movie 40 Pounds of Trouble with Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette. I know it's been posted on this forum before, but the footage is so good it's worth posting again. About 15 minutes total of Disneyland in the early 1960s.

YouTube- Part 1

YouTube- Part 2
      Thanks for posting this movie! I was trying to find it last year with no success. Why don't I remember to try YouTube??
      sigpic
      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Seeing Disneyland is the only saving grace of that movie. Whadda stinker. Glad someone included the park in their film so extensively, just wish it was a better piece of cinema.
        my Disneyland and stuff photo album

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 2

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 3

Comment

This is so cool... I love going back and seeing pictures of what it used to look like.
          I'm not even that old, but I also remember looking for our car from the Monorail.

Comment

I always wanted to see fof.. missed it!

Comment

I miss "America the Beautiful"...it brings back great memories for me and thanks for posting the photos of the theater !

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos of Disney past, I was born in '95 so I never got to see any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post

Here's an after picture and a preview of the pictures to follow.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, to be continued...
                  Great Post.
                  I didn't realize there was that much work done to the facade.
                  It looks like the BLAB building may have an unused 2nd story?
                  Oh, and I appreciate the nerd shot.

Comment

wow. I love pics of the old Disneyland. I love seeing how it's changed and everything. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing!
                    sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                    Disney is my life <3
                    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                    Future Imagineer <3
                    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

Not to sound a little dumb here but, was the cirle vision attraction one where you stood at the railings and at the start it did a countdown and you "blasted off" up in the air and got to see the earth from a space ship perspective? If not, was there a rise like that? I have this vague memory from childhood about it, just wanted to know if I was off my rocker or if it was real, lol!
                      Yaye!

Comment

Originally posted by phi1215 View Post
                        Not to sound a little dumb here but, was the cirle vision attraction one where you stood at the railings and at the start it did a countdown and you "blasted off" up in the air and got to see the earth from a space ship perspective? If not, was there a rise like that? I have this vague memory from childhood about it, just wanted to know if I was off my rocker or if it was real, lol!
                        I believe that was Mission to Mars.

Circle vision was kind of like Soaring over California. Except the screen was 360 degrees around you and you were standing up. And it gave you vertigo. :lol:

Comment

Yes the one you're thinking of started as Rocket to the Moon, then the name changed to Flight to the Moon, then it was re-themed as Mission to Mars, and that building is now Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. In the early years the huge TWA Moonliner stood in front of the building, though that was just for show, the attraction did not take place inside the Moonliner, but in two twin theaters in the building. You sat in a round theater which rumbled and shook as you took off, and the seats inflated and deflated to give a feel of the extra G-forces. Films were projected on screens at the top and bottom, and the one on the bottom did show the Earth going away from you after the takeoff. They have recently built a smaller-scale Moonliner in front of the building as a tribute to the old TWA Moonliner.

Interior of Flight to the Moon:

The original Moonliner stood in Tomorrowland from 1955 to 1967:

The original one was 76 feet tall. A 32-foot version of it used to sit on top of the TWA Corporate Headquarters at Kansas City, Missouri:

In 1998, Disneyland built a 60-foot (I'm pretty sure) version of it as a tribute to it, which still stands today near Redd Rockett's Pizza Port:

Comment

Awesome photos! Really enjoying this thread.

Comment

In the middle of Redd Rocket's currently is a circular dining area, and above it a neon circle, both roughly where the original view screens were located for the Mission to the Moon and Mars.
                              First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                              First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                              BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

That's cool... they should show those films again, above and below, as entertainment while you eat your pizza. The films and sounds were really the main point of that attraction. They should have just kept the 2 identical theaters, and put little a little table in front of each seat, so you could take a trip to the moon while you eat your pizza.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome! I knew I wasn't crazy! Thanks Bob, Cooper and Ttrocc!
                                  Yaye!

Comment

Keep them coming...love to see Disneyland in all the different eras!

Comment

I always got sick from CircleVision I hated the show when I was young.

Comment

man i love circle vision my first time seeing it was at epcot and i loved it
                                        First Trip To WDW 8/16/09-8/27/09 was the best!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X