X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vincema
    replied
    Re: Pictures from the past

man i love circle vision my first time seeing it was at epcot and i loved it

Leave a comment:

• Capt Hook
    replied

I always got sick from CircleVision I hated the show when I was young.

Leave a comment:

• dmomof4
    replied

Keep them coming...love to see Disneyland in all the different eras!

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Wow, that's awesome! I knew I wasn't crazy! Thanks Bob, Cooper and Ttrocc!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

That's cool... they should show those films again, above and below, as entertainment while you eat your pizza. The films and sounds were really the main point of that attraction. They should have just kept the 2 identical theaters, and put little a little table in front of each seat, so you could take a trip to the moon while you eat your pizza.

Leave a comment:

• ttrocc7007
    replied

In the middle of Redd Rocket's currently is a circular dining area, and above it a neon circle, both roughly where the original view screens were located for the Mission to the Moon and Mars.

Leave a comment:

• DonDuck
    replied

Awesome photos! Really enjoying this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

Yes the one you're thinking of started as Rocket to the Moon, then the name changed to Flight to the Moon, then it was re-themed as Mission to Mars, and that building is now Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. In the early years the huge TWA Moonliner stood in front of the building, though that was just for show, the attraction did not take place inside the Moonliner, but in two twin theaters in the building. You sat in a round theater which rumbled and shook as you took off, and the seats inflated and deflated to give a feel of the extra G-forces. Films were projected on screens at the top and bottom, and the one on the bottom did show the Earth going away from you after the takeoff. They have recently built a smaller-scale Moonliner in front of the building as a tribute to the old TWA Moonliner.

Interior of Flight to the Moon:

The original Moonliner stood in Tomorrowland from 1955 to 1967:

The original one was 76 feet tall. A 32-foot version of it used to sit on top of the TWA Corporate Headquarters at Kansas City, Missouri:

In 1998, Disneyland built a 60-foot (I'm pretty sure) version of it as a tribute to it, which still stands today near Redd Rockett's Pizza Port:

Leave a comment:

• coopercaseycody
    replied

Originally posted by phi1215 View Post
    Not to sound a little dumb here but, was the cirle vision attraction one where you stood at the railings and at the start it did a countdown and you "blasted off" up in the air and got to see the earth from a space ship perspective? If not, was there a rise like that? I have this vague memory from childhood about it, just wanted to know if I was off my rocker or if it was real, lol!
    I believe that was Mission to Mars.

Circle vision was kind of like Soaring over California. Except the screen was 360 degrees around you and you were standing up. And it gave you vertigo. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Not to sound a little dumb here but, was the cirle vision attraction one where you stood at the railings and at the start it did a countdown and you "blasted off" up in the air and got to see the earth from a space ship perspective? If not, was there a rise like that? I have this vague memory from childhood about it, just wanted to know if I was off my rocker or if it was real, lol!

Leave a comment:

• LittleImagineer
    replied

wow. I love pics of the old Disneyland. I love seeing how it's changed and everything. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Jetlife
    replied

Originally posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post

Here's an after picture and a preview of the pictures to follow.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, to be continued...
    Great Post.
    I didn't realize there was that much work done to the facade.
    It looks like the BLAB building may have an unused 2nd story?
    Oh, and I appreciate the nerd shot.

Leave a comment:

• trumpetplayer1995
    replied

Thanks for posting the photos of Disney past, I was born in '95 so I never got to see any of this.

Leave a comment:

• alanplm
    replied

I miss "America the Beautiful"...it brings back great memories for me and thanks for posting the photos of the theater !

Leave a comment:

• NAQUITO
    replied

I always wanted to see fof.. missed it!

Leave a comment:

• FlyBono24
    replied

This is so cool... I love going back and seeing pictures of what it used to look like.
    I'm not even that old, but I also remember looking for our car from the Monorail.

Leave a comment:

• ivankay
    replied

Seeing Disneyland is the only saving grace of that movie. Whadda stinker. Glad someone included the park in their film so extensively, just wish it was a better piece of cinema.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Just in case anyone missed it, there is outstanding footage of Disneyland from 1961 or 1962, filmed for the movie 40 Pounds of Trouble with Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette. I know it's been posted on this forum before, but the footage is so good it's worth posting again. About 15 minutes total of Disneyland in the early 1960s.

YouTube- Part 1

YouTube- Part 2
    Thanks for posting this movie! I was trying to find it last year with no success. Why don't I remember to try YouTube??

Leave a comment:

• rajbonham
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. The Main Street Electrical Parade was great and the music from it is an indelible memory. I miss the America the Beautiful film, even though I can see how someone could easily get motion sickness. There was a lot of motion, in fact I think one of the scenes was where they drove down Lombard Street in San Francisco, the "crookedest street in the world." But I always enjoyed the film. The camera they used to film it is interesting too:

Awesome photos! I just saw that camera in person at the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco just a few days ago. It may have been an earlier version though.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

I really liked the picture of the Monorail going through the original parking lot. We used to love to play "I See Our Car!"

I think I posted this before...somewhere..... but it shows the old Skyway buckets.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X