This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parking Again!

If parking is this hard and takes so long. I think people may just drive away and forget the parks that day.
    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

My wife is a San Diego native where 80% of life is comprised of not waiting in line. I'm originally from Los Angeles where 95% of life is comprised of waiting for something or another so when we go to Disneyland we go as early as possible to avoid waits. If the parking situation is this bad we may not come to the parks this holiday season for the sake of our sanity. As brenden mentioned it really can mess up a day at the parks when it takes an hour to get parking because of the complex logistics of the traffic control in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
        If parking is this hard and takes so long. I think people may just drive away and forget the parks that day.
        We've already done that a few times, but having an AP affords us that luxury. DLR probably only loses about 20-50 beans or so on us whenever we say "Eff it."
        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post
          Parking is getting to be such an anxiety issue for me, when M&F is closed it just starts off the whole day on the wrong foot.
          Yeah, know precisely how you feel. However all is not lost if you're willing to be flexible and you don't mind getting some walking in.

EDIT: Well, after reading Darkbeer's blog about this issue, my advice is pretty much useless. Problem's worse than I thought. Go to Costco and stock up on patience. That's about all one can say about this. Wow.
          Last edited by Ortizmo2000; 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
            More on the Parking Situation can be found in my last "In the Parks" article.

Sir, I really wish I had found this article before the weekend. :blush:

Comment

Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
              Umm... how to put this gently... okay I can't.
              • #1- The universe does not revolve around you.

Ok, and now that that's out of the way:
              • #2- They have the best parking set up, that I've ever seen, anywhere. They have us park this way, I'm sure, to make sure that everyone who is parking/just parked can get out of their cars safely, without having to worry about getting hit by an incoming car. Have you seen the way people take up a parking space, getting all of their stuff out (people included) of the car? Throw on top of that now having to park more cars, right there and it could potentially be a bad situation, and at the very least, slow for the cars who are now having to wait for people to clear out of the way before they themselves can park. It really is an efficient, and safe system, that they use.

And since when did walking a little more ever kill anybody? (and I'm talking in real world terms here, not some fictional setting from a movie)

#1 = thats un-called response. People can rant, cant they?

#2 = If you think thats the best parking setup out there, you need to get out more
              Last edited by Daboltz; 11-16-2009, 02:22 PM.
              "Raiders Suck"
              -Walt Disney

Comment

The fact that Disney is constricting the grip it already has on drivers is outright disturbing. Purposely blocking the entrance to DTD and the hotels is a terrible decision to make, especially for guests that casually attend the ESPN zone on the weekends for college games. Has anybody tried to get a response from Guest Relations about this issue yet?

Comment

Originally posted by h2opolodad View Post
                  RANT AHEAD!!

Because Disneyland parking is THE least customer-oriented department in the entire resort!

Think about it: where else at the DLR do they make you go to the end of the line (like in the M & F parking structure) when there is 100's of open spaces much closer to your goal than where you are currently headed?

Sorry, but it just has always put me in a bad mood when I park in the section farthest from the escalators and then walk by 50 open spaces on my way, and then another aisle opens up, to people who got there LATER than me, who now get to park closer!
                  Exactly ! The only time I have EVER complained about a cm at Disney it was someone in the parking structure.

Comment

Question. If coming to Disneyland from San Diego can you exit on Katella and go directly to the Buzz lot? What would be the best way to save time and avoid the train of cars winding through the old Timon area.
                    Galactic Member

Comment

This is EXACTLY why I just take the bus to the resort. Yes, it does take about 2 hours (30 mins driving) to get there, but at least I get to read or listen to music, etc on the way there and the bus stops right in front of the transportation hub so I don't have to walk far. Seriously people, consider public transportation. It'll save you a huge headache.

Comment

most of the complaints that are made about parking are majority passholders. but most people seem to forget that if everyone was allowed to park wherever they wanted(the parking structure)there would be a even bigger traffic jam then they would when they close it off. having all the booths open in the structure is not going to help with the line if 40k annual passholders are going to the parks which the majority of them arrive the same time the normal ticket holders do. as ive seen, there are signs out on the streets directing people to park in garden walk or pumbaa or even buzz whenever the structure is closed but most cars ignore it and head straight for the closed off structure and that is what make them have to waste 30 minutes to a hour parking. the parking cast member are not responsible for that. im only saying this because the parking plan actually works but most people dont seem to understand it and just get mad and ruin there own day. And since when did a little more walking ever hurt anyone? everyone is going to be walking inside the park all day long anyways.

Comment

It's not a matter of walking, for me anyway, but by the end of a day at the parks, I just want to go home. I don't want to wait in an enormous line for a bus or walk a few blocks to get to the car or anything else that entails parking somewhere other than M&F. Call me self-entitled, I really don't care, it's just a frustrating inconvenience when I'm positive there are spots in the structure.

I parked at Gardenwalk once, as I was instructed to do so by various, confusing signage leading me in circles around the resort...and later had to pay $12 to get out. There wasn't even an attendant to talk to about it. Sorry, my pass includes parking so that kind of got me miffed.

Comment

I guess I am lucky, I haven't had problems parking at M&F. The CM direct us just fine, its been quick after you get passed the pay stations.
                            Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                            Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                            :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post

I parked at Gardenwalk once, as I was instructed to do so by various, confusing signage leading me in circles around the resort...and later had to pay $12 to get out. There wasn't even an attendant to talk to about it. Sorry, my pass includes parking so that kind of got me miffed.
                              Then the Disney CM screwed up, they are supposed to hand you TWO things, the Disney receipt that shows you paid, or that you entered with an AP Parking Pass.

AND a validated ticket that allows you to exit the Anaheim GardenWalk complex. I have no idea why they failed to give you the exit voucher, but it is clear that DISNEY screwed up.

The Exit Voucher is a credit card sized piece of Cardboard with a magnetic strip on the back, that says "Anaheim GardenWalk" on the front.
                              Last edited by Darkbeer; 11-16-2009, 05:06 PM. Reason: typo/extra info
                              Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by salasavandy View Post
                                most of the complaints that are made about parking are majority passholders. but most people seem to forget that if everyone was allowed to park wherever they wanted(the parking structure)there would be a even bigger traffic jam then they would when they close it off. having all the booths open in the structure is not going to help with the line if 40k annual passholders are going to the parks which the majority of them arrive the same time the normal ticket holders do. as ive seen, there are signs out on the streets directing people to park in garden walk or pumbaa or even buzz whenever the structure is closed but most cars ignore it and head straight for the closed off structure and that is what make them have to waste 30 minutes to a hour parking. the parking cast member are not responsible for that. im only saying this because the parking plan actually works but most people dont seem to understand it and just get mad and ruin there own day. And since when did a little more walking ever hurt anyone? everyone is going to be walking inside the park all day long anyways.
                                It is amazing how easily this is laid at the feet of AP's. It would stand to reason that AP's would be most likely to follow the signs, having learned from past experiences that the parking structure is probably closed. That leaves the vacationing tourist who ignores the signs, and assumes that the best place to park is the GIANT parking structure that DISNEY built across from their park. Likewise anytime a large amount of inidivudals are displaced due to an unexpected closure there will be delays... ask anyone who is commuting to LA and has the "joy" of running into a freeway lane closure...

What I am curious about is if they are offering a parking discount to paying Guests due to the headaches Disney has caused. That can be squarely laid at Disney's feet for their decision to close a working lot prior to getting a replacement lot online.
                                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by salasavandy View Post
                                  Not to be mean, but I don't know if you're really getting the point being discussed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                                    I originally planned not to post of what happened yesterday, but since I happened upon the subject of this thread....I'm giving in to my irritation.

My GF and I like to partake in the DLR whenever possible. Since we've adopted a puppy, those times are fewer lately. We prefer to spend time with her rather than leave her kenneled up for hours at a time, but yesterday we'd decided that it had been a few weeks and we missed the park. She also had never seen DLR all "Christmased out" so we thought it'd be cool to head down that way from her place in Hemet. Being Sunday, I thought it would be best for us to take both vehicles since I would be returning home to Huntington Beach that night for the work week.

So we made our way down the 91 with her carrying the pooch in the SUV safely inside her extra large kennel. Once we exited down Ball, I see the sign that's directing us to make a left on Harbor to the Buzz lot. I knew what this meant....frustration ahoy. The last time we saw this sign, I tried to head over the 5 to the M/F structure anyway, only to be diverted right thru the property to the other side on Harbor.

This time, I just resigned myself to the fact that things were going to be effed already and rolled with it. We could've left earlier, yes. It was around 1ish by this point and I thought..."okay, we just gotta start leaving earlier then". The holidays are coming is this is gonna be a fact of life. So we both head for the lot and are instantly separated by people cutting left and right and generally driving like boneheads. It's California. Whatcha gonna do?

In a desperate last act, i call the main info line to ask a living breathing human is the M/F structure has a snowball's chance in hell of opening at all today, and she responds with a curt "no". Okay....again, I resign.

My GF arrives at the Buzz gate first and has her AP swiped. She is then promptly told that since she has a pet she cannot park there....however she can turn around and go park at M/F. The CM puts a pink slip under her window-wiper that says "EXIT". She calls me and tells me this and I see her turning about. Dopey me.....I'm in the middle of three lanes trying to get into Buzz. Trying to follow her at this point would be hell and there's no guarantee that I won't be turned away from M/F. I just tell her to go park and I'll be there as soon as I can. I just head in to Buzz, thankfully parked rather quickly, and chose to walk up Harbor to the esplanade. The lines for the shuttle were long enough to where I'm thinking I can just walk and make better time.

Meanwhile....at Mickey and Friends....

The gate CM that greeted my GF, a guy we'll call Mr. Lecture, swipes her AP. He of course gets the alert that the pass had been swiped into the system already. Mr Lecture then unleashes on her how that she now has to go and park in that lot and he's not gonna let her in. "If you go to one lot to use your pass, you have to park in THAT LOT," he barks - evidently not seeing the pink pass on the window.

My GF has been driving for almost 2 hours and is doing the bursting bladder bounce by this point, not to mention the dog.

Speaking of said pooch, she explains that she was diverted to M/F because of the dog. Mr Lecture peers thru the window like a highway patrolman.

"Can I see your vaccination records?"

She is flabberghasted. The records are in the dog-duffel we use to carry her food, dogbed, blankets and it is all kept together for when we actually arrive at the kennel. She tells him there is NO WAY she is gonna get out and dig that stuff up for him right then and there. She also informs him that he better have a bucket on hand because there is shortly going to be an accident there at his gate booth.

Mr Lecture than sees that there are cars piling up behind her and with a "hmph" finally relents. She carries the pooch and all her stuff down the escalator alone (I tell her I'm on my way over but she's insistent that she's fine and I should wait at the esplanade) and finally reaches the end of the tram ride with a weak, exhausted smile. I notice that by this time an hour has gone by since we turned left on Harbor.

Being a former CM myself, I make it a point never to go off on cast members. I may point out delusions of superiority from time to time, but these people are hard workers providing us with a valuable service.

Mr Lecture though needs to be re-educated on a few things. First of which being that HE IS NOT A COP. I dont know what SOP is for the parking CM's but I'm reasonably sure that you don't just start peekin in the windows like a poor man's Barney Fife. Ask to see the dog. She will turn on the cabin light. Easy....simple.

Secondly.....the vaccination records. The kennel CM's are the only people that should be worried about that kind of thing, and if you are aching for those days of being the junior high hall monitor Mr Lecture, the main parking gate just aint your gig, bub.

...and while I'm, on the subject I'd just like to say that the kennel CM's are among the best of the best. Always helpful, friendly, and seem to very much enjoy taking care of those animals.

So yeah, it looks like things are changing as far as parking goes for the DLR, at least for the holidays. I can accept this, but CM's with ill-informed approaches to their jobs isn't going to help and tempers are simply going to flare with all this supposed parking testing going on - if that is indeed true.

Sorry for the rant. The universe usually does revolve around me.
                                    Ugh. I have worked with this guy many of times. It's CM's like him that give my department a bad name. I'm sorry your GF had to deal with his attitude.

As for the parking situation, it's not the CM's fault for the situation we have been put in. If the bean counters in Burbank would have not DROPPED the ball on another structure BEFORE closing the Timon lot things would be alot different.

Trust me, everyone (well, mostly everyone) in my department don't like the situation either.

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post

What I am curious about is if they are offering a parking discount to paying Guests due to the headaches Disney has caused. That can be squarely laid at Disney's feet for their decision to close a working lot prior to getting a replacement lot online.
                                      I have seen a sign outside of Buzz (And heard a manager on the radio)making sure that the guest only had to pay $10. As for the other lots I think its still $14

Comment

Originally posted by Scurvy Pirate View Post
                                        Ugh. I have worked with this guy many of times. It's CM's like him that give my department a bad name. I'm sorry your GF had to deal with his attitude.

As for the parking situation, it's not the CM's fault for the situation we have been put in. If the bean counters in Burbank would have not DROPPED the ball on another structure BEFORE closing the Timon lot things would be alot different.

Trust me, everyone (well, mostly everyone) in my department don't like the situation either.
                                        I'll pass your apology along, good buddy. And let me clarify, I don't blame any CM's in any dept for the current quagmire you folks have found yourselves in. It's a bad situation for everyone.

I have to deal with the brilliant decisions my management makes as well, and it's we in the trenches who have to deal with the consequences of such poor direction. I feel yer pain.
                                        Last edited by Ortizmo2000; 11-16-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
                                          Then the Disney CM screwed up, they are supposed to hand you TWO things, the Disney receipt that shows you paid, or that you entered with an AP Parking Pass.

AND a validated ticket that allows you to exit the Anaheim GardenWalk complex. I have no idea why they failed to give you the exit voucher, but it is clear that DISNEY screwed up.

The Exit Voucher is a credit card sized piece of Cardboard with a magnetic strip on the back, that says "Anaheim GardenWalk" on the front.
                                          I've had two situations happen to me when parking at GardenWalk - one was they checked passes and provided me with an exit pass before entering...the other was getting a GardenWalk ticket and showing my pass and the ticket to an attendant upon exiting.

I think the day I was stuck paying $12, I entered the lot and there were no attendants, so I assumed someone would be manning the exit like before.

Either way, slightly upsetting.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X