This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Characters at Disneyland in the 1950s

I have been trying to discover when the cast members dressed as characters first appeared at Disneyland and where they could be seen. I know that for the past many decades, you could generally find Mickey by the Opera House, for example, but could a child have run into him by the castle in August of 1955? This is actually an important point in a book that I am writing and I am having trouble getting an answer. I have seen the classic picture of Jerry Colona and his kids with a very ugly Minnie and Mickey by the Mickey Mouse Club Theater on the evening of the opening day, but I haven't seen any other pictures of kids with even the Mickey character until the early 1960's. I also understand that the original costumes were borrowed from the Ice Capades in 1955 and were in use until 1959, but I have no confirmation that these were worn in the park and if those wearing them were accessible to average quests for pictures, etc. I would appreciate any answers that you could provide. ANy pictures of kids with mickey in the 50s would be great too.

Re: Characters at Disneyland in the 1950s

I don't have a picture but I have footage from my Walt Disney Treasures: Secrets Stories and Magics DVD. I could put that into my computer, play it, snap a shot, and send it. IDK if that's legal though.
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

Comment

Space Man!

and in the 1960s, they added Space Woman!

More photos at Daveland Disneyland Tomorrowland Photo Page
      I think they only hired very tall people for those roles.

Comment

[quote

More photos at Daveland Disneyland Tomorrowland Photo Page
        I think they only hired very tall people for those roles.[/quote]

Dang those Space People look big! Maybe they were standing on a platform? Anyway the best part of this picture is seeing how ladies dressed properly for a day of touring the Magic Kingdom. And with gloves no less! This must been taken in winter -- they're bundled up so much with all that wool. Poor Space Woman must have been chilly!

Comment

When I was a kid, we kind of dressed up for Disneyland, and it was the entire family, grandparents, parents, kids, as a group. None of this gangs-of-teenagers thing. We dressed up a little, not uncomfortably, but still we tried to look nice. Not because of any dress code, all of our own volition. It was an event. We were going to a very famous place and we knew a lot of people would see us, so we attempted our best to make ourselves look presentable.

Comment

They were there opening day. If you can find the footage of the opening, you will see many of the characters.
            sigpic
            Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X