This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] A letter about movie themed attractions

I plan to deliver the following letter, when I go to Disneyland next week. I expect that it will do no good, but hey, sometimes you have to try.

To the Park Administrators & Planners

There are many types of guests that go to Disneyland, and they have different tastes for food, merchandise, and attractions. One type of guest has a great affinity for movie-themed attractions. They are thrilled to step into the world of Indiana Jones, or cruise through space with Star Wars characters. They may love the Fantasyland dark rides, Nemo submarines, or the Toy Story Astro Blasters. They enjoy seeing their favorite movie characters everywhere they look, and enjoy attractions that reference and are themed around their on-screen friends. As a matter of fact, their favorite rides are the movie-themed rides. These are the people that mesh nicely into the current plan being implemented around the park to theme everything to a movie to maximize advertising and merchandise.

However, these guests do not comprise the entire spectrum of Disneyland Guests. There are others that enjoy the unique stories, adventures, and attractions that can only be found at the Disney Theme Parks. And still others that enjoy, the feel of the lands and attractions that allow them to step forward or backward in time, without the intrusion of the latest movie craze or fad. There are still others that enjoy all aspects of the park themes, past, present, future, unique fantasy, and movie-themed fantasy. They enjoy it all.

Obviously, movie-themed attractions have a place at Disneyland. Many of them are immensely popular and provide a very fun experience for park guests. However, the widespread practice of using movie-themes for new attractions all across the park, threatens to overwhelm all other aspects of the Disneyland experience. Unique attractions are usually designed to fit the area of the park where they are placed, and generally enhance the theme of a particular land. Movie-themed rides, however, tend to be a hodge podge collection of ideas that tend to either stretch or change the theming of a land or just completely ignore it. The widespread and long-term implementation of this strategy will transform Disneyland into a simple amusement park with a homogenous appeal for people that like movie themes, nothing else.

My favorite attractions happen to be Space Mountain, Pirates of Caribbean, Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain, and the Haunted Mansion. None were originally themed to any specific movie. They were original ideas and unique experiences. Pirates was great before you decided to put Jack Sparrow and Davey Jones into the ride, putting them in only detracted from the original experience in my opinion. You took a great and popular stand alone attraction and butchered it to fit the movie that was inspired by it. Oh, the irony. Will Jungle Cruise be next?

SpaceMtnAlum94
    Very few have had the privilege of operating Space Mountain. Fewer still have pushed the A-lift stop. I am one of those few.

Re: A letter about movie themed attractions

While I applaud your effort I question if the letter will even be accepted due to the policy changes implemented by Disney Legal.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceMtnAlum94 View Post
      I plan to deliver the following letter, when I go to Disneyland next week. I expect that it will do no good, but hey, sometimes you have to try.

To the Park Administrators & Planners

There are many types of guests that go to Disneyland, and they have different tastes for food, merchandise, and attractions. One type of guest has a great affinity for movie-themed attractions. They are thrilled to step into the world of Indiana Jones, or cruise through space with Star Wars characters. They may love the Fantasyland dark rides, Nemo submarines, or the Toy Story Astro Blasters. They enjoy seeing their favorite movie characters everywhere they look, and enjoy attractions that reference and are themed around their on-screen friends. As a matter of fact, their favorite rides are the movie-themed rides. These are the people that mesh nicely into the current plan being implemented around the park to theme everything to a movie to maximize advertising and merchandise.

However, these guests do not comprise the entire spectrum of Disneyland Guests. There are others that enjoy the unique stories, adventures, and attractions that can only be found at the Disney Theme Parks. And still others that enjoy, the feel of the lands and attractions that allow them to step forward or backward in time, without the intrusion of the latest movie craze or fad. There are still others that enjoy all aspects of the park themes, past, present, future, unique fantasy, and movie-themed fantasy. They enjoy it all.

Obviously, movie-themed attractions have a place at Disneyland. Many of them are immensely popular and provide a very fun experience for park guests. However, the widespread practice of using movie-themes for new attractions all across the park, threatens to overwhelm all other aspects of the Disneyland experience. Unique attractions are usually designed to fit the area of the park where they are placed, and generally enhance the theme of a particular land. Movie-themed rides, however, tend to be a hodge podge collection of ideas that tend to either stretch or change the theming of a land or just completely ignore it. The widespread and long-term implementation of this strategy will transform Disneyland into a simple amusement park with a homogenous appeal for people that like movie themes, nothing else.

My favorite attractions happen to be Space Mountain, Pirates of Caribbean, Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain, and the Haunted Mansion. None were originally themed to any specific movie. They were original ideas and unique experiences. Pirates was great before you decided to put Jack Sparrow and Davey Jones into the ride, putting them in only detracted from the original experience in my opinion. You took a great and popular stand alone attraction and butchered it to fit the movie that was inspired by it. Oh, the irony. Will Jungle Cruise be next?

I am not alone in my sentiments, when I say your strategy to change rides and build new rides that reflect movie-based themes and characters are ruining the Disneyland experience for me. It reeks of blatant advertising, and demonstrates the lack creativity and vision that the current administrators have for the park. Obviously, such movie theme

SpaceMtnAlum94
      Just a few "proofread" things (I underlined them above):

1. "Toy Story Astro Blasters". There are two rides, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, and Toy Story Midway Mania. I realize that you might have combined the names for effect, but for me personally I think it would be better to be accurate.

2. You forgot an "of". It should be "lack of creativity".

3. Theme needs to be "themed" in that context.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but your letter has merit and I would like for it to sound as awesome as possible. You really wrote a very heartfelt entreaty, and it is admirable.

I do not agree with everything you said, but it was said with passion and I hope that someone will read it. I do agree with your overall point, and I concur that Disneyland should be more than a collection of cross-selling opportunities.

Best of luck!

Comment

Great letter! Very heartfelt. Unfortunately, no one in any position of authority will ever receive it due to some stupid legal policies. They'd rather not know what you think, than possibly have you sue them later claiming that they made changes based upon your suggestions.

I suppose that it is possible that someone will see it here on MiceChat and forward it along (it has happened before). Still, the shift toward "Synergy" and building attractions based upon hit movies is a very strong movement in the company, and not likely to be changed by a fan letter.

By the way, I agree with you. There was a time when the Imagineers were capable of creating magic of their own without always leaning on hit movies. Perhaps creativity will return to the parks one day. If you look toward the three new lands proposed for Hong Kong, the two most exciting are nearly original concepts. It is the movie based Toy Story Land which totally underwhelms. So there is some hope!

-Dusty
        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
        Save

Comment

You can and should mail your letter to the Disney Board of Directors.

To: Board of Directors
          The Walt Disney Company
          c/o Mr/Ms. xxxxxxxxx
          500 South Buena Vista Street
          Burbank, California 91521

This is a current list and names of the current board of directors. You can address your letter to one of these individuals.

Susan Arnold
          Director since 2007

John E. Bryson
          Director since 2000

John S. Chen
          Director since 2004

Judith L. Estrin
          Director since 1998

Robert A. Iger
          Director since 2000

Steve Jobs
          Director since 2006

Fred H. Langhammer
          Director since 2005

Aylwin B. Lewis
          Director since 2004

Monica C. Lozano
          Director since 2000

Robert W. Matschullat
          Director since 2002

John E. Pepper, Jr.
          Chairman of the Board since January 2007

Orin C. Smith
          Director since 2006

The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Board of Directors

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
            Great letter! Very heartfelt. Unfortunately, no one in any position of authority will ever receive it due to some stupid legal policies. They'd rather not know what you think, than possibly have you sue them later claiming that they made changes based upon your suggestions.

I suppose that it is possible that someone will see it here on MiceChat and forward it along (it has happened before). Still, the shift toward "Synergy" and building attractions based upon hit movies is a very strong movement in the company, and not likely to be changed by a fan letter.

By the way, I agree with you. There was a time when the Imagineers were capable of creating magic of their own without always leaning on hit movies. Perhaps creativity will return to the parks one day. If you look toward the three new lands proposed for Hong Kong, the two most exciting are nearly original concepts. It is the movie based Toy Story Land which totally underwhelms. So there is some hope!

-Dusty
            On the topic of letters, are Imagineers any more receptive to them than TDA is? I want to send off a letter to Tony Baxter, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the postage fees.

Comment

What happened to Roy E. Disney? I thought he was named "Director Emeritus" and personally holds 1% of Disney stock.

Comment

that is a really great letter :bow:

i didn't read it all due to my lack of focus
                but what i got out of it i 1000000% agree with it
                and i probably would have written that exact same letter

i applaud your efforts :clap:
                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                  On the topic of letters, are Imagineers any more receptive to them than TDA is? I want to send off a letter to Tony Baxter, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the postage fees.
                  From what I understand Disney has a company wide policy in place that prevents them from reviewing/responding to fan based letters. Disney Legal was concerned about potential litiguation (not sure if there was an actual case or not, can't remember).

It has been my experience that venting on here at times will elicit a response from Disney. Often times someone will see it and the thread link along with quotes are copied to an email and sent "to a friend". That is not to say that everything posted finds its way to a desk... but sometimes things do.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                    From what I understand Disney has a company wide policy in place that prevents them from reviewing/responding to fan based letters. Disney Legal was concerned about potential litiguation (not sure if there was an actual case or not, can't remember).

It has been my experience that venting on here at times will elicit a response from Disney. Often times someone will see it and the thread link along with quotes are copied to an email and sent "to a friend". That is not to say that everything posted finds its way to a desk... but sometimes things do.
                    Ehh, I'll give it a shot anyway.

I know of at least one incident in which Disney was accused of stealing the ideas of someone who had approached them with a concept; the Wide World of Sports complex at WDW led to a major lawsuit in such a case.

Comment

Just keep trying! I have sent many letters to Disneyland, mostly to compliment cast members who I felt went above and beyond to make our experience great. And, in those same letters, I have added something about the Park that I noticed that may not have been the best experience. I know the individual cast members are told about the compliments, as one of them has been my friend now for 28 years! Who knows where the other parts of my letter ended up? Just keep trying!
                      sigpic
                      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

I wish you luck.

Comment

Golly gee, if i only Disney administrators and planners would read this letter and any other letter out there saying to not turn Disneyland, into a movie based theme park. That's what Universal Studios is out there for. Disneyland is a place of magic, and being able to leave the world of reality and feel as if you've stepped into a mini adventure into the future, or in frontierland.

I 100% agree with your letter, A+++ haha

i hope i never see the day when High School Musical turns into a ride . . .
                          Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                            Who knows where the other parts of my letter ended up? Just keep trying!
                            It took a bit of effort on my part (thank you NASA for the Hubble) but I was able to track down the general location of the missing portions of your compliment...

sigpic

Comment

Indeed I think there are thousands of Disneyland fans who would agree.

What the heck - I say send it to anyone and everyone. More people should follow suit. They may not listen and take action - but at least some of them will know all is not groupthink gridlock in the fan base as it seems to be in Disney Leadership.

Bravo Bravo

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

ORWEN: Personally, I like the fact that Disney theme parks base a lot of their attractions on their movies. My only disappointment comes when the quality of the attractions suffer from cost cutting bean counters who won't go all the way with a good idea. They don't use as many animatronics any more and that's a shame. But trying to fault Disney for using their own movies as a basis for an attraction doesn't make much sense to me. I hope they continue making attractions based on their movies as long as they place them in the appropriate locations of the parks.

Comment

First of all, I think posting the letter here is a perfect place for at least someone from Disney to read.

Secondly, I highly suggest you send it not to the general Disneyland mail, but to Tony Baxter, the Iger Mailing Box, and the Disneyland President's mailbox, which I have dug away somewhere from Savethesmallworld if no one else has them here.

Lastly, I still think that you should send it to the general Disneyland mail. But don't waste your postage. Just send it through the contact us link at the bottom of disneyland.com!

They are more specific, and at least you will have the satisfaction that its going somewhere where if someone actually gets it, it won't be some hired nobody from disneyland.
                                  Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                                  "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                                  -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                                  -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                    While I applaud your effort I question if the letter will even be accepted due to the policy changes implemented by Disney Legal.
                                    I also applaud it.
                                    Disney, as mentioned, stopped taking mail that suggested ideas to the park.
                                    People were going back to Disney and asking for compensation for their ideas (which we all know is ludicrous). To prevent this, Disney will now send back mail that even hints at any suggestion on how the park should be run, how a ride should be changed, where an improvement should be made etc.

I still think you need to give them the letter.
                                    One hopes they will see the real spirit of the letter and understand why it was sent to them.
                                    Quote by Al:
                                    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                                    -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                      What happened to Roy E. Disney? I thought he was named "Director Emeritus" and personally holds 1% of Disney stock.
                                      i wanna know what happened to him too! does anyone have any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                                        I also applaud it.
                                        Disney, as mentioned, stopped taking mail that suggested ideas to the park.
                                        People were going back to Disney and asking for compensation for their ideas (which we all know is ludicrous). To prevent this, Disney will now send back mail that even hints at any suggestion on how the park should be run, how a ride should be changed, where an improvement should be made etc.
                                        That's kind of sad, really...of course it makes perfect sense in this litigious age, but I don't think most people could imagine any compensation better than seeing one of their ideas incorporated into the park!! Not that we actually have the skills to think of anything comparable to WDI, but we all have our fond dreams/delusions :blush:.

I think a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that most of the suggestions they get are probably really, really silly...the recent "Move Critter Country" thread pretty much sums that up :blink:.

Another great perspective on this is Armchair Imagineering with Eddie Sotto (who did Mainstreet USA at DLP) over at Disney & More:

I read online suggestions many times that have a "why didn't they think of that" tone to them, when in fact, I laugh to myself knowing they did think of it, but as with most great ideas, they seldom see the light of day.
                                        So, even the good stuff would fall victim to logistics (or has already been thought of an abandoned for any number of reasons), etc., so there's simply no benefit to them to pay somebody to wade through all those letters!
                                        My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X