X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic

Comment

Re: DCA Wins an Award!!!

An award? Recognition? Publicity? Awesome!
      sigpic
      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
        Nice to know that it's considered acceptable to give an award for uncreative and unoriginal ideas. Seems like a trend as of late to give out awards that aren't deserved, ie nobel peace prize.
        ???

Personally, I love TSMM.

Comment

Nice to know that it's considered acceptable to give an award for uncreative and unoriginal ideas. Seems like a trend as of late to give out awards that aren't deserved, ie nobel peace prize.
          I don't know what you are considering uncreative or unoriginal, the fact that is based on Toy Story? Do you have examples of other equally interactive technological rides that are similar to Toy Story Midway Mania?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OC2Epcot View Post
            I don't know what you are considering uncreative or unoriginal, the fact that is based on Toy Story? Do you have examples of other equally interactive technological rides that are similar to Toy Story Midway Mania?
            Both aspects, creativity and originality are reasons why I think this attraction didn't deserve the award. This overused franchise is completely unoriginal and quite frankly disappointing. We have BLAB right across the way, the only attraction theme to ever cross into multiple parks at a resort. Quite frankly I think a child could have come up with something more original and mentally stimulating then that. It shows how low we have come as a society when the true ability of Disney isn't being explored anymore and we are giving out awards for it. Don't get me wrong, the attraction is fun but not worthy of an award.

Yes, there are many attractions that have a similar novelty. Off the top of my head we have Men In Black Alien Attack and The Amazing Aventures of Spider Man, there are many more for sure.
            Last edited by Seawolf; 11-17-2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

TSMM totally deserved this.

Comment

Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
                ow, that's awesome! Personally, Toy Story Mania is the single thing that makes DCA worth a visit right now. Plus, it marks the beginning of the new DCA! =) California Adventure's definitely off to a great start. Thanks for posting the link, timbabbcomedian!
                I actually disagree with that. Although not everyone on this board is a fan of DCA, I actually think there is a little more that is worth a visit to DCA. California Screamin, Soarin, The Tower of Terror, Monster's Inc: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue, (IMO) the Animation Building, the Aladdin show, and so forth. Do some of them fit the theme? Not really, but hey, I enjoy some of those rides personally.

Originally posted by OC2Epcot View Post
                Both aspects, creativity and originality are reasons why I think this attraction didn't deserve the award. This overused franchise is completely unoriginal and quite frankly disappointing. We have BLAB right across the way, the only attraction theme to ever cross into multiple parks at a resort. Quite frankly I think a child could have come up with something more original and mentally stimulating then that. It shows how low we have come as a society when the true ability of Disney isn't being explored anymore and we are giving out awards for it. Don't get me wrong, the attraction is fun but not worthy of an award.

Yes, there are many attractions that have a similar novelty. Off the top of my head we have Men In Black Alien Attack and The Amazing Aventures of Spider Man, there are many more for sure.
                Seawolf, I've never been on Spider-Man, but I have seen footage of it, and it was the first of it's kind. If Disney did anything, they took the concept, made it a little tamer, and made it interactive for families, so you are right that it only took someone else's concept.

As for this award...meh. Not a big deal for me. These awards from these magazines are really bogus; you are ALWAYS going to find a theme park (regional or international) who always has better "anything" so why bother? But that doesn't mean Disney can't improve because they can.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker View Post
                  I actually disagree with that. Although not everyone on this board is a fan of DCA, I actually think there is a little more that is worth a visit to DCA. California Screamin, Soarin, The Tower of Terror, Monster's Inc: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue, (IMO) the Animation Building, the Aladdin show, and so forth. Do some of them fit the theme? Not really, but hey, I enjoy some of those rides personally.
                  Exactly, there is so much more at DCA that is deserving, especially Soarin Over California.
                  Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 11-17-2009, 11:08 PM. Reason: Personal back and forth. Derail.

Comment

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                    So if a song of an artist's album wins a Grammy you'd say the song won the Grammy, not the artist?

The ride in DCA was specifically singled out in the article as the one winning the award. The ride doesn't exist in a vacuum, it's part of DCA so DCA has won an award.

It's not like the title of this tread said< "DCA in it's original version wins an award so we should stop the changes and leave it as is."

We get it, you're not a fan of DCA. Well done.

I'm gonna post something a little later about how cute my dog was...would you like to post a comment about how he is dead now and no longer cute to spoil that fun too?
                    Exactly..

Originally posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
                    Actually it would be the writers and producers who would get the award, not the artist. So in this case it would be the Imagineers who came up with the attraction and put it together who should be receiving the award, not DCA or Disney as a whole.

...Joe...
                    Not true. It depends on what aspect of the song won the award. If the award was for best lyrics, then the writers would get the award. When an artist gets an award, they themselves go up onto the stage to recive it.

To relate this to DCA, for the imagineers to get the award, it would have had to be an award for the best design team.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker View Post

California Screamin' goes against what Disney parks should have, Soarin's okay, too, but it still doesn't represent the beginning of the new DCA, Tower of Terror isn't a family ride, Mike and Sulley doesn't really represent the beginning of new DCA, and can't come close to TSMM, IMO, Animation building and aladdin both do not represent the beginning of new DCA and the transformation of Paradise Pier.

Comment

Well, there's no denying that TSMM features vastly improved gameplay, compared to BLAB and the like. It's far easier to tell where you're shooting, the physical interface is intuitive and fun and appropriate, and there's more of a sense that you're actually throwing/shooting something than if you're shooting an invisible laser beam. So on that level, I applaud Disney and congratulate them for getting recognition for it. As far as story, theme, immersiveness, 3D quality, and the like, I have my own opinions, but I'd rather not get into a debate over those right now.

EDIT:

Soarin's okay, too, but it still doesn't represent the beginning of the new DCA
                        Correction - Soarin's the greatest attraction in DCA, and on the contrary, it represents the DCA that never was...and, if current trends continue, that never will be.

Comment

California Screamin' goes against what Disney parks should have, Soarin's okay, too, but it still doesn't represent the beginning of the new DCA, Tower of Terror isn't a family ride, Mike and Sulley doesn't really represent the beginning of new DCA, and can't come close to TSMM, IMO, Animation building and aladdin both do not represent the beginning of new DCA and the transformation of Paradise Pier.
                          You need to keep in mind that DCA is aimed a little more at adults and young teens to balance out the family audience over at Disneyland. People's tastes change over time, and Disney does need to remember that. Soarin's ride film fits perfect, and I think it will become a classic attraction since it still attracts a 30 minute wait on non-busy days and still draws crowds on later days such as 90 or 100 minute waits.

Comment

California Screamin' is fantastic in my opinion. Disney wanted to represent a romanticized seaside amusement park and as far as that goes, I think Screamin did the absolute best job compared to the other PP rides. Redo it's queue and it would be fantastic.

Soarin' is fantastic too. I agree with Data. As for ToT not being for the family, I've seen tonnes of families on it loving every moment. Disney cannot be full of jungle cruises and Pirate rides no matter what quote from Walt you want to throw at me. In order to stay relevant, it needs to hold a balance between family, thrill, and artistic attractions along with entertainment.

Comment

I can give a great example of what I think deserves an award, Journey to the Center of the Earth. We need attractions on this level of thematic quality and art. That is what Disney is capable of, even if it were a D ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                California Screamin' is fantastic in my opinion. Disney wanted to represent a romanticized seaside amusement park and as far as that goes, I think Screamin did the absolute best job compared to the other PP rides. Redo it's queue and it would be fantastic.

Soarin' is fantastic too. I agree with Data. As for ToT not being for the family, I've seen tonnes of families on it loving every moment. Disney cannot be full of jungle cruises and Pirate rides no matter what quote from Walt you want to throw at me. In order to stay relevant, it needs to hold a balance between family, thrill, and artistic attractions along with entertainment.
                                :bow:

Comment

It needs a balance from thrill, but good thrill. TOT's a great ride, but Screamin' isn't. It's an amusement park ride. a ride. not an adventure, or story, and not something that belongs in a Disney park.

And TOt and Soarin' makes DCa great, too, but I'm just saying TSMM is needed because it's a quality ride everyone in the family can ride. Both Soarin' and TOT have height limits and can be scary to some.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                    *looks to see if hell is freezing over*
                                    What does that mean? DCA has several great rides. Don't knock it 'til you try it.
                                    Good morning, son
                                    In twenty years from now
                                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                    It was pain
                                    Sunny days and rain
                                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                      Soarin's the greatest attraction in DCA, and on the contrary, it represents the DCA that never was...and, if current trends continue, that never will be.
                                      I agree and am sad
                                      Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 11-17-2009, 11:05 PM. Reason: Personal back and forth. Take it to Pms gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                        As just a roller coaster, I think California Screamin' is a great ride, but a modern steel roller coaster has little place in a "romanticized seaside amusement park". Especially if they're trying to skew the theme of the area to an early 20th century motif. Of course, I think the entire concept of Paradise Pier is flawed and has no place in a Disney Theme Park in the first place.

Disney cannot be full of jungle cruises and Pirate rides no matter what quote from Walt you want to throw at me. In order to stay relevant, it needs to hold a balance between family, thrill, and artistic attractions along with entertainment.
                                        A balance would imply that they've been building anything remotely like "Jungle Cruises" or "Pirate Rides" in recent years, or that DCA has anything that can be remotely compared to them.

Comment

Why doesn't it? What quote from Walt can I hear today that bans the idea of a Seaside amusement park from a Disney park until the end of time?

I would suggest too that a steel rollercoaster also has no place in Space or running down and around a mountain peak as well, but yet they are there and they are classic attractions. Disney adapted a current and thrilling technology to both entertain guests and look the part that it is trying to represent. Sounds like a Disney kind of idea to me. If it were Six flags, the supports would have been round steel columns and there would be a lot less to see around it.

It needs a balance from thrill, but good thrill. TOT's a great ride, but Screamin' isn't. It's an amusement park ride. a ride. not an adventure, or story, and not something that belongs in a Disney park.

And TOt and Soarin' makes DCa great, too, but I'm just saying TSMM is needed because it's a quality ride everyone in the family can ride. Both Soarin' and TOT have height limits and can be scary to some.
                                          Disneyland has many examples of "rides" as well... The notion that Disney cannot for some convoluted reason contain fairground baised rides is silly! The carousel, the astro oribiter, dumbo, the teacups and the shooting gallaries all of the darkrides in Fantasyland, Roger Rabbit, Autopia, casey jr circus train, the bear jamboree and others are all examples of fairground rides or rides baised on carnival dark rides.

Now we switch to DCA and see that Disney wanted to recreate a romanticized seaside amusement park. Paradise Pier is not a seaside amusement park but it was made to recreate it, and that makes it an experiance. I think screamin' fits into this bill very well. Had the area around its queue been themed better, and the area as a whole tied together with a cohesive environment, Screamin' would even better play its part as a piece of this environment. Now, you can tell me that they could have done better, making it a big volcano and all that, but they didn't. They chose this theme and to tell you the truth, I really like the Pier idea but they just under delivered on the placemaking around the rides they offered in the first try.

Once they get to the placemaking, it too will be a great park.

To conclude, the notions that Disney needs to keep adding E-tickets, neglecting all other levels of attractions can't be sustained (although this was not the destinct arguement here, I feel it relates). All of the rides mentioned from Disneyland at the beginning of this post are all staples of the park, even though they are very basic in their nature (aside from HM of course). All these elements are needed in order to keep the Disneyland Resort as a whole full of depth in its offerings, and DCA is moving very quickly in this direction.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X