X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DCA Wins an Award!!!

Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Yeah, I really wondered what it was doing there before I came on MiceChat. Now that I see it really does have some theming, I appreciate it. I feel the same way about the bashing but toward Toy Story Mania, I'm sick of people bashing that, and in defending that, I forgot what makes Screamin' so special, and while trying to defend one ride I bashed another. My apologies =)
    Well said, DP.

And has anyone ever BEEN on a standard wooden roller coaster... because they suck. The Giant Dipper, Grizzly, Collossus... booooring. A wooden roller coaster at DCA would be a disaster. In fact, considering that the Matterhorn was the first tubular steel roller coaster in the world, you could argue that Screamin' IS appropriate for a Disney pier. I don't know... it's all opinion. It's a fun roller coaster. Not the best ride in either park by any means, but fun.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
      That is the theme it was built to represent, and therefore I am actually quite right. As for the reasons I have previously mentioned, it was unfeasable to build a real woodie and therefor we got Screamin which is a great ride, that looks the part and offers a great time.
      Why was it "unfeasible"? Budget constraints? An old-fashioned woodie just wasn't hip enough for the kids? Pretty weak arguments for justifying a rollercoaster that simply doesn't belong in its themed environment.

Also the date argument doesnt stand quite so strongly because that was not the exact period specified when PP was originally built, and Screamin has not yet been adressed to convert it to the new theme.
      Other than taking the whole thing out and replacing it with a period accurate wooden roller coaster, there's no feasible way to convert it to the new theme. What you have is a modern steel rollercoaster with some wooden supports. It even lacks the one thing that for me defines a wooden rollercoaster...a chain lift. Instead it has a gimmicky "scream tube" that takes away whatever small semblance of theme those wooden supports provide.

As for those views, thats what the scream tubes are for. And Im sure Disney wanted to theme Anaheim as an ocean but DOSH blocked the flooding of 2 million homes for safety concerns.
      Funny, but perhaps they could have avoided those ugly views by building the rollercoaster away from the edge of the park?

Comment

Originally posted by BrodyDanger View Post
        Well said, DP.

And has anyone ever BEEN on a standard wooden roller coaster... because they suck. The Giant Dipper, Grizzly, Collossus... booooring. A wooden roller coaster at DCA would be a disaster. In fact, considering that the Matterhorn was the first tubular steel roller coaster in the world, you could argue that Screamin' IS appropriate for a Disney pier. I don't know... it's all opinion. It's a fun roller coaster. Not the best ride in either park by any means, but fun.
        Thanks.

And yes, I think it's really fun, too. I think it doesn't have as much detail or story as other rides in the park, but it's one of the funnest, and it does fit in with the Paradise Pier theme.

Comment

I have not read through the whole thread but if i remember correctly this is not the first time an attraction from DCA won a THEA award. Another one that i remember of clearly is the Animation attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
            Why was it "unfeasible"? Budget constraints? An old-fashioned woodie just wasn't hip enough for the kids? Pretty weak arguments for justifying a rollercoaster that simply doesn't belong in its themed environment.

Other than taking the whole thing out and replacing it with a period accurate wooden roller coaster, there's no feasible way to convert it to the new theme. What you have is a modern steel rollercoaster with some wooden supports. It even lacks the one thing that for me defines a wooden rollercoaster...a chain lift. Instead it has a gimmicky "scream tube" that takes away whatever small semblance of theme those wooden supports provide.

Funny, but perhaps they could have avoided those ugly views by building the rollercoaster away from the edge of the park?
            As just stated, wooden rollercoasters dont bring returns, they are expensive to build and maintain, and even that wouldnt quench your thirst for a flooded anahiem to provide your perfect views (get it? quench your thirst?). Now sure the launch removes the chain lift (even though there actually is one later in the ride, but I see this as a harmonizing of the two ideas where thrills are given on the ride while asthetics were attempted from the outside. It belongs thematically, it delivers thrills and lots of people love it. Lots to improve on, but the base is there and it works.

The whole point of Screamin was to build it on the outside of the park to act as a berm btw. Thats one of the reasons it has its wooden theming, so that it is opaque. The scream tubes block the view (but could be improved) and it works. Remove the tubes, add a pretty victorian roof, some flags and voila! Once it looks across the water to paradise park, it will be even better too! Oh, and were going to have to tear down the matterhorn, ToT, the Train, the monorail and BTMRR because they all offer unsightly views of the real world and backstage too. Wrecking balls will be in thursday..

Comment

Throughout all of the debating on this thread, nobody claimed that Screamin' was award winning, and everybody agreed that it can be improved.
              Thank you!
              I appreciate that.
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by BrodyDanger View Post
                Well said, DP.

Yeah. I've been on many woodies, and I prefer them over steel. They have so much more personality, and don't rely on going upside down, like so many steel coasters do, nowadays. Have you been on a modern woody, I wonder? Magic Mountain just built a new one, and it couldn't be described as sucky. It ROCKS!

I really wish Disney would build a wooden roller coaster. I'd love to see how they'd develop it.

WOW! Have we ever gotten off-topic. :razz:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                  Thank you!
                  I appreciate that.
                  My friendly gesture stops short of saying that it is hopeless or themeless though because from the last few pages of this thread I have a novel on its theme in the works, and how it can and most likely will become even greater as a ride and experiance.

Comment

It's a really good looking roller coaster, to boot!

Comment

i don't know why some people don't like Screamin or call it off the shelf in past threads. The attraction was actually on a special on the discovery channel once for its innovative and complex computer system that is built underground.

yeah i know that some people say that a woody would fit better with the theme but if you do a bing or goole search you would find that even coney Island had a loop coaster at one point.

"Loop the Loop" the first looping coaster in the world opened in 1901 at a seaside amusement park and was made of steel

Comment

Seriously? But I thought DCA was-...

*reads through the thread beyond the first post*
                        Oh...
                        *continues reading*
                        Huh?
                        How in the world did we get from TSMM winning an award to a debate on Screamin's construction?
                        Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
                        I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

Comment

Quickly and easily. I belive it began with saying that DCA didn't deserve awards before and that screamin' and a pier in general shouldnt be in DCA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                            Lastly .. I just want to say ..... I understand and appreciate the original poster's (maybe somewhat zealous) .. but enthusiastic support of DCA. But just to be technically correct ... TEA is not recognizing DCA .... but rather a specific attraction, which happens to be in DCA.

I think I have a bit of an understanding of how TEA recognizes projects around the world ... I've been personally associated with them.
                            Okay calm down. This wasn't meant to be an up with DCA thread (which is good becasue clearly it isn't). The title was meant to be surprising because no one expects any love for DCA.

And despite your exhaustive research the ride was originally designed for and now rides in California Adventure. So while the ride is what's being awarded, DCA is still the big winner. We could continue to debate this, but as I've said before, I am clearly right and will not be budging from my stance. So any messages sent back and forth are sure to infuriate you. So it may save you time to just say to yourself "Tim Babb is a pompous, arrogant idiot and I'm done with him." (it works well for a lot of people...just ask Seawolf)

And the rest of you can line up to get my new book "Makin' Friends on MiceChat by Tim Babb."
                            Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 11-18-2009, 12:00 AM. Reason: Removed personal back and forth. Take it to PMs, gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
                              I have not read through the whole thread but if i remember correctly this is not the first time an attraction from DCA won a THEA award. Another one that i remember of clearly is the Animation attraction.
                              You might want to check out my post on page 4.
                              Yeah .... I was at that particular awards show, helping to coordinate it. A couple of the designers (who won the award for the Animation pavilion) and I got into a chat about it ... and even though they felt good about their win ... it was one of those "sweet and sour" things. Because they knew how most of the rest of the park sucked. LOL But, fortunately for them, that was a different team involved in "those other" projects.
                              MY SIGNATURE:
                              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Quickly and easily. I believe it began with saying that DCA didn't deserve awards before and that screamin' and a pier in general shouldnt be in DCA.
                                Makes sense. Almost every non-project-tracker or non-improvement idea DCA thread I've seen is doomed from the start.

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                                And the rest of you can line up to get my new book "Makin' Friends on MiceChat by Tim Babb."
                                When can I preorder?
                                Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
                                I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

Comment

Its hard to argue against the OP seeing as he knows what was intended by the thread in the first place.

To try and clarify this other argument. Although the ride won, DCA is the winner because it is slowly overcoming the negative connotations it carries via small victories in award winning rides and subtle and slow upgrades.

Yes, DCA is not carved on the plaque, but it still serves as the moral winner as it becomes more of a real Disney park through international recongnition.

Don't worry Tim, you've got one friend on Micechat.

Comment

Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
                                    Yeah. I've been on many woodies, and I prefer them over steel. They have so much more personality, and don't rely on going upside down, like so many steel coasters do, nowadays. Have you been on a modern woody, I wonder? Magic Mountain just built a new one, and it couldn't be described as sucky. It ROCKS!

I really wish Disney would build a wooden roller coaster. I'd love to see how they'd develop it.

WOW! Have we ever gotten off-topic. :razz:
                                    I don't think so. Are you talking about Roar? They have the same one at Marine World (or whatever it's called now). I wasn't too impressed... though that may have had to do with the rain pelting me in the face. ) I do agree they have more character though. That's understandable. But roller coasters have improved right along with advances in technology and engineering (though Screamin' is nothing impressive). Most newer wooden coasters also seem somewhat generic to me. Like they're missing the thrill element. Older wooden coasters feel like they're about to run right off the tracks... and that's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by simmer View Post
                                      When can I preorder?
                                      Pre order? You had to be his friend to get a copy. What does that say

Comment

The ride in DCA was specifically singled out in the article as the one winning the award. The ride doesn't exist in a vacuum, it's part of DCA so DCA has won an award.

Oh look...turns out I'm an idiot. That should have been phased way differently.

"DCA was specifically mentioned in the article about the ride winning the award."

Grammar Girl would not be proud of me today

Comment

Oh look...turns out I'm an idiot. That should have been phased way differently.

"DCA was specifically mentioned in the article about the ride winning the award."

Grammar Girl would not be proud of me today
                                          Isn't that what that says?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X