X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DCA Wins an Award!!!

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
    Isn't that what that says?
    "singled out as winning" makes it sound like only the DCA version of the ride won the award...or at least it could be interpreted that way...and since I admonished someone else for how their remarks could be interpreted I must hold myself to the same standard.

Comment

November 17th, 2009.
      Tim Babb - BLACKLISTED FOR MINOR ERRORS

while the books out.

Matterhorn Boy - Blacklisted for wanting to flood Southern California

He wont be happy when he reads that tommorow, but thats what he gets for skipping out on our argument that was just getting going!

Comment

Now sure the launch removes the chain lift (even though there actually is one later in the ride, but I see this as a harmonizing of the two ideas where thrills are given on the ride while asthetics were attempted from the outside.
        Actually, Screamin' was the 1st roller coaster to feature a lift hill AND propulsion system on the same coaster. And Disney does it again.

Comment

WDI wants to make DCA a better place and I know because Tony Baxter said so. But since it will be a long time before he and the rest of WDI can actually do it can we just take their word for it and give them the award now... because I honestly believe they will eventually make a better park. I have hope...

I said that to make a point, not a political statement. The man himself contemplated openly about not accepting the award because he publicly felt it was premature. One of his stated reasons for accepting was because he did not want to drag the publicity out further. The hope was that by accepting the controversy would eventually die down... if he turned it down it would be a substantial black eye to all parties involved. Personally I feel he made the right decision by expressing his doubt about the merits of his award.

That said there has been more talk of politics BECAUSE of the initial comment... instead of both sides simply dropping the "argument" it was allowed to fester as both sides continued in political banter. It is a moot point but most do not take his award seriously on BOTH sides of the aisle (which is amazing since most have not agreed on anything in generations).

Everything said... I find it amusing that since Disney is "on top" there is substantial defense of how DCA somehow "deserved" this award. There has been no challenge to the actual contest itself. There has been minimal discussion of how DCA as a theme park has fallen apart. There has been even less of a "different look" in regards to the continual quest to stuff more characters down a Guest's throat. Had DCA lost, or Disney in general not placed, then most would challenge every aspect of the "awards". I watched it happen on another thread. I'm amazed because if Disney wins most simply cheer, but if they don't place then Disney was robbed somehow... personally I think Disney needs a wakeup call.

I personally don't understand how TSMM could win anything other then a "Best Video Game" award at CES (Consumer Electronics Show where games are debuted). The technology is essentially Duck Hunt with 3D Glasses. It has less of a resemblance to a theme park attraction then BLAB... which I honestly didn't realize was even possible until now! At this rate they may as well tear out anything that offers an experience and sit all paying Guests on various couches where they can watch an experience in 3-D and pretend to experience something. Imagine how much fun Indy would be if you didn't have that annoying jeep rocking you around and air cannons blowing darts at you. You could sit back, in a comfy chair and pretend you were there, almost like watching a DVD at home... hey...

I'm sorry if the post sounds bitter. I simply have much higher standards for Disney. I realize how "out of touch" I am... Tony Baxter considers Nemo a "major E Ticket". WDI should formally change their name to WDC... Walt Disney Copycats... the "Kinkos of Creativity"... since they can't seem to pull anything off unless it has already played in theaters.
          Last edited by techskip; 11-17-2009, 09:23 PM.
          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

November 17th, 2009.
            Tim Babb - BLACKLISTED FOR MINOR ERRORS

while the books out.

Blacklisted won't cut it. I demand tar and feathers. Maybe the people's elbow administered by Mickey. I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by BrodyDanger View Post
              Actually, Screamin' was the 1st roller coaster to feature a lift hill AND propulsion system on the same coaster. And Disney does it again.
              Come on team! Where were all of you supporters two hours ago while I was fighting off three attackers at once (very impressivly I might add).

I'm trying to study for a midterm here.

Comment

Sorry, Trevor, but this is one (rare ) instance in which I would not have beaten you to the punch, even if I'd been here reading the thread. Screamin' is thrilling and fun and certainly not technologically primitive...but that's about all the praise I can give it, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                  Sorry, Trevor, but this is one (rare ) instance in which I would not have beaten you to the punch, even if I'd been here reading the thread. Screamin' is thrilling and fun and certainly not technologically primitive...but that's about all the praise I can give it, personally.
                  Its getting there. All I ask from my fellow Micechatters is the acceptance that Screamin' is at least a little more than a six flags rollercoaster, and that it does have the potential to become even more. Can you maybe kinda like nod your head at that notion?

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                    WDI wants to make DCA a better place and I know because Tony Baxter said so. But since it will be a long time before he and the rest of WDI can actually do it can we just take their word for it and give them the award now... because I honestly believe they will eventually make a better park. I have hope...

I said that to make a point, not a political statement. The man himself contemplated openly about not accepting the award because he publicly felt it was premature. One of his stated reasons for accepting was because he did not want to drag the publicity out further. The hope was that by accepting the controversy would eventually die down... if he turned it down it would be a substantial black eye to all parties involved. Personally I feel he made the right decision by expressing his doubt about the merits of his award.

That said there has been more talk of politics BECAUSE of the initial comment... instead of both sides simply dropping the "argument" it was allowed to fester as both sides continued in political banter.

Everything said... I find it amusing that since Disney is "on top" there is substantial defense of how DCA somehow "deserved" this award. There has been no challenge to the actual contest itself. Had DCA lost, or Disney in general not placed, then most would challenge every aspect of the "awards". I personally don't understand how TSMM could win anything other then a "Best Video Game" award at CES. The technology is essentially Duck Hunt with 3D Glasses. It has less of a resemblence to a theme park attraction then BLAB... which I honestly didn't realize was even possible until now! At this rate they may as well tear out anything that offers an experience and sit all paying Guests on various couches where they can watch an experience in 3-D and pretend to experience something...

I'm sorry if the post sounds bitter. I simply have much higher standards for Disney. I realize how "out of touch" I am... Tony Baxter considers Nemo a "major E Ticket". WDI should formally change their name to WDC... Walt Disney Copycats... the "Kinkos of Creativity"... since they can't seem to pull anything off unless it has already played in theaters.
                    While I agree with the fact that video screens are not what I personally want to see in Disneyland, I do think that this one instanse of it is pretty cool. I fear that this is what the public as a whole is excited by though. TSMM can definitly stay, but I hope this is not a trend in ride design because they can do so much more with AA technology.

Blacklisted won't cut it. I demand tar and feathers. Maybe the people's elbow administered by Mickey. I don't know...
                    Be careful or you might get in as much trouble as I plan to.

Comment

....there has been more talk of politics BECAUSE of the initial comment... instead of both sides simply dropping the "argument" it was allowed to fester as both sides continued in political banter.
                      That may be. I have fierce political opinions and I strive to keep my MiceChat posts free of them because those are the rules. I am annoyed when others (on either side of the isle) do not extend the same courtesy. This is the neutral zone...neither the Federation nor the Romulans should be allowed to take hostile action in here. Live long and prosper.

That's too good for Tim Babb...we should make him watch HISTA on a loop for 12 straight days with no bathroom breaks.

While I agree with the fact that video screens are not what I personally want to see in Disneyland, I do think that this one instanse of it is pretty cool. I fear that this is what the public as a whole is excited by though. TSMM can definitly stay, but I hope this is not a trend in ride design because they can do so much more with AA technology.
                      I certainly agree with that. I like the Toy Story ride, I just don't want any clones of it. Let it be it's own unique thing.
                      Last edited by timbabbcomedian; 11-17-2009, 09:36 PM. Reason: becasue 2 times wasn't enough to get it right

Comment

Good to see DCA get some recognition.

Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
                        It was originally developed for DCA, but towards the end of the design process, the Suits wanted it put in DHS, too. So they threw that into the works, too, but not until closer to the finish.

Theirs was built into a new structure, that wasn't wrapped around, under, and through another attraction, with games and stores attached to it, in a busy section of the park, and without closing said surrounding venues (much).

Yeah... can you tell I'm biased towards ours? )
                        DHS' Midway Mania was built into the existing Who Wants to be a Millionaire: Play It! building. The only thing they did to the structure was tear down the front wall to build the new facade.
                        MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
                        (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                          That's too good for Tim Babb...we should make him watch HISTA on a loop for 12 straight days with no bathroom breaks.
                          I always thought HISTA was the creative equivalent of being in the bathroom of the future... you sit down and desperately try to think of something more fun you could be doing.

sigpic

Comment

I always thought HISTA was the creative equivalent of being in the bathroom of the future... you sit down and desperately try to think of something more fun you could be doing.
                            I hope the bathroom of the future doesnt have things running down your leg...

Comment

Both of these comments are chalk full of win

Comment

I hear it comes with an interactive video screen so there is something to hope for! Might even win an award I hear.

sigpic

Comment

I hear it comes with an interactive video screen so there is something to hope for!
                                  Man, I have two jokes I cannot make outside of MiceChat gold.

Comment

He wont be happy when he reads that tommorow, but thats what he gets for skipping out on our argument that was just getting going!
                                    Why are you "blacklisting" me for putting words in my mouth? This whole "flooding Southern California" thing is your idea, not mine.

But you're right, the concept of building a seaside amusement park miles inland is a pretty tough one to sell. It's hard to make the concept work. And it doesn't. What was your argument for why this ride works again?

Comment

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                                      That punishment should only be reserved for serial killers and the Black Eyed Peas. You're off the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
                                        Why are you "blacklisting" me for putting words in my mouth? This whole "flooding Southern California" thing is your idea, not mine.

But you're right, the concept of building a seaside amusement park miles and miles inland is a pretty tough one to sell. It's hard to make the concept work. And it doesn't. What was your argument for why this ride works again?
                                        Im not blacklisting anybody. I'm not actually serious about the flooding of course, I'm just being silly after a long day. In all seriousness, the legitimate arguments for why I belive this ride has thematic relevance are to be found in previous pages.

Comment

• Re: DCA Wins an Award!!!

That punishment should only be reserved for serial killers and the Black Eyed Peas. You're off the hook.
                                          Statement retracted. You are blacklisted for hating on the Black Eyed Peas. We'll see who gets that boom boom pow Mr.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X