X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DCA Wins an Award!!!

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Okay calm down. This wasn't meant to be an up with DCA thread (which is good becasue clearly it isn't). The title was meant to be surprising because no one expects any love for DCA.

And despite your exhaustive research the ride was originally designed for and now rides in California Adventure. So while the ride is what's being awarded, DCA is still the big winner. We could continue to debate this, but as I've said before, I am clearly right and will not be budging from my stance. So any messages sent back and forth are sure to infuriate you. So it may save you time to just say to yourself "Tim Babb is a pompous, arrogant idiot and I'm done with him." (it works well for a lot of people...just ask Seawolf)

And the rest of you can line up to get my new book "Makin' Friends on MiceChat by Tim Babb."
    That's all perfectly fine ... I just thought it was a bit funny the way the title of the topic read - when the park didn't win an award, it was the design team who built Midway Mania (didn't matter the park it went into) who won the award.

So .. sure ... metaphorically speaking DCA does win, just not in the sense it came off, in.

But what I think will be interesting .. that by the time phase one of all this "1.2 billion in changes to DCA" is finished in 2012 .. will earn the park - As a whole, an award. Something like Best Re-Imagining of a Park, or something to that affect.

TEA does recognize themed areas, lands, whole parks, not just specific attractions (just depends on what is built around the world, from year to year). So, it will be interesting to follow the future THEA Awards .. once major sections of DCA have been re-worked.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
      That's all perfectly fine ... I just thought it was a bit funny the way the title of the topic read - when the park didn't win an award, it was the design team who built Midway Mania (didn't matter the park it went into) who won the award.

So .. sure ... metaphorically speaking DCA does win, just not in the sense it came off, in.

But what I think will be interesting .. that by the time phase one of all this "1.2 billion in changes to DCA" is finished in 2012 .. will earn the park - As a whole, an award. Something like Best Re-Imagining of a Park, or something to that affect.

TEA does recognize themed areas, lands, whole parks, not just specific attractions (just depends on what is built around the world, from year to year). So, it will be interesting to follow the future THEA Awards .. once major sections of DCA have been re-worked.
      The fact that they gave it to Star Trek the Experience in '96 gives them huge credibility in my book

But unless they give an award for Best Park with a Totally Mish-Mashed Theme, I don't see DCA as a WHOLE winning an award anytime soon. SO that's why we gotta claim this one. lol

FYI-if I have offended anyone viewing this thread with my comments, I apologize. I was going for laughs, not genuine hostility. I'll try to be more careful from now on.

Comment

Well you'll be glad you did because if you go back most of the drama has been "erased from existence" (Marty McFly style) So no one else who reads this thread will ever know how Seawolf and I became BFFs. It was kinda like Superman and Batman...at first they fought but then they realize they're both on the same side...justice!!!

As for the midterm, the answer is probably C. You're welcome.
        [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QboYhJFC8jc&NR=1]YouTube - Neuralyzer flash[/ame]

Comment

Well you'll be glad you did because if you go back most of the drama has been "erased from existence" (Marty McFly style) So no one else who reads this thread will ever know how Seawolf and I became BFFs. It was kinda like Superman and Batman...at first they fought but then they realize they're both on the same side...justice!!!

As for the midterm, the answer is probably C. You're welcome.
          Awwww man! I was avidly following this drama, only to wake up this morning and find that it has disappeared! Darn!

Not that I enjoy excessive controversy, but I was pretty curious to know what happened in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
            That's great, but can we honestly say that other attractions aren't deserving of the prize over TSMM?
            That is an interesting question...

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
            From their website, it seems that a panel of a few people (seemingly people I should know of from the way the whitepaper is worded) either from the industry, or who admire the industry select the winners each year.
            So to recap... a survey that is sent out to multiple individuals spread out in different locations should be called into question when Disney doesn't place... but an award presented by a panel of a select few individuals who may or may not have their own individual political motivations gets a free pass because Disney won...

Just making sure I'm understanding everything. Because to be honest everyone from TPI might have their own motivations, but as a large collective group those motivations are balanced out. The panel for TEA is substantially smaller so each individual's opinion holds a great deal more weight. Using the criteria from the previous thread... this "award" has a much greater possibility of being corrupt, far greater then TPI, and the results should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.
            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post

So to recap... a survey that is sent out to multiple individuals spread out in different locations should be called into question when Disney doesn't place... but an award presented by a panel of a select few individuals who may or may not have their own individual political motivations gets a free pass because Disney won...

Just making sure I'm understanding everything. Because to be honest everyone from TPI might have their own motivations, but as a large collective group those motivations are balanced out. The panel for TEA is substantially smaller so each individual's opinion holds a great deal more weight. Using the criteria from the previous thread... this "award" has a much greater possibility of being corrupt, far greater then TPI, and the results should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

As I said, they gave Star Trek The Experience the Award in '96, so obviously they recognize quality

Comment

as i said, they gave star trek the experience the award in '96, so obviously they recognize quality

amen
                Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
                http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

Comment

The same award went to an "attraction" that is more representative of a video game then an actual themed attraction in 2009... so it sounds like their standards of quality have slipped!

For Disney an "E" Ticket in 1995 was Indy... in 98 it was Rocket Rods and in 2009 it was Submarine Voyage... not exactly the same if you ask me.

sigpic

Comment

Its getting there. All I ask from my fellow Micechatters is the acceptance that Screamin' is at least a little more than a six flags rollercoaster, and that it does have the potential to become even more. Can you maybe kinda like nod your head at that notion?
                    I've never been to six flags, so, I guess it was unfair of me to consider it something like that, I was pretty much comparing it to something like Big Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn.

Oh, wait, I have been to Magic Mountain! I went when I was realllllly little, I think.. All I remember is a loony tunes show and a tweety bird cage ride? Is that the right amusement park?

Comment

I don't get all the DHS flame. I know its queue is AMAZING and draws everyone to that end of the park.

You feel like you're the size of a pea.

one hundred and one

Comment

I think DCA's TSMM building is much more lavish than at DHS... but I don't see why all of a sudden the toys are living in a Victorian house instead of the modern one we see in the movies.

Comment

Yeah, the DCA exterior is absolutely gorgeous, but the attraction's placement in Paradise Pier really confuses the backstory. The DHS version is at least consistent in its attempt to convince you that you've been shrunk to the size of a toy in a world where Pixar characters are alive. The DCA version takes you from a life-sized, essentially realistic boardwalk from the early 20th century and then drops you into a toy version of a set of midway games without any transition or explanation, showing the context of the attraction only once you get to the exit - and even that creates the contradiction of Andy's modern-day aunt having an office containing modern toys above this boardwalk that's supposedly from an earlier time period. Whether or not that's a problem is an issue each individual has to sort out for him/herself, but I don't see how anyone who really thinks about it can say that the DCA version has no holes in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                            Yeah, the DCA exterior is absolutely gorgeous, but the attraction's placement in Paradise Pier really confuses the backstory. The DHS version is at least consistent in its attempt to convince you that you've been shrunk to the size of a toy in a world where Pixar characters are alive. The DCA version takes you from a life-sized, essentially realistic boardwalk from the early 20th century and then drops you into a toy version of a set of midway games without any transition or explanation, showing the context of the attraction only once you get to the exit - and even that creates the contradiction of Andy's modern-day aunt having an office containing modern toys above this boardwalk that's supposedly from an earlier time period. Whether or not that's a problem is an issue each individual has to sort out for him/herself, but I don't see how anyone who really thinks about it can say that the DCA version has no holes in it.
                            Oh cpome on...it's CLEARLY Andy's grandparents' house where he would stay for extended periods of time and as such had vast amounts of toys with him to play with in his grandfather's study to stay out of the hair of the adults.

...or I just pulled that out of...um...thin air

Comment

It's his aunt's office above the boardwalk.

Comment

Disney is crossbreading. Turns out that Tinkershmit is Andy's grandpa.

Comment

)

Comment

I have no idea who these people are or their associations. I just was the only person willing to fire up google. haha

Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
                                    I've never been to six flags, so, I guess it was unfair of me to consider it something like that, I was pretty much comparing it to something like Big Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn.

Oh, wait, I have been to Magic Mountain! I went when I was realllllly little, I think.. All I remember is a loony tunes show and a tweety bird cage ride? Is that the right amusement park?
                                    I've meant to go every time we go to Disneyland, but its just to hard to get there.

Comment

I have no idea who these people are or their associations. I just was the only person willing to fire up google. haha
                                      I just think it's funny that if the results are pro Disney no one questions the competition but if the results are not in Disney's favor then everyone tears apart every aspect of the survey...

sigpic

Comment

Hooray!! My favorite ride in DCA gets some big-time love!
                                        Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

Comment

I just think it's funny that if the results are pro Disney no one questions the competition but if the results are not in Disney's favor then everyone tears apart every aspect of the survey...
                                          Really? 'Cause it seems like a few people in this thread have questioned the results.

Your not alone any more, friend.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X