• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CinderellaStory
    replied
    Re: DCA Wins an Award!!!

Originally posted by techskip View Post
    And the comedy of this is that there were PLENTY of posts in the thread cited of people coming down on "winners" without having ridden them. All at the defense of Disney.
    Then that was unfair of those posts as well.

Leave a comment:

• myka
    replied

You know what, as much as I hate traipsing over to DCA to wait 45 minutes in that line... It really, really deserves it. Every time I disembark I'm kind of blown away by how totally solid the entire experience is. I think Disney has settled for Good Enough a lot in DCA, and TSMM is probably my favorite ride in the resort since Indy.

Bravo.:clap:

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied

And the comedy of this is that there were PLENTY of posts in the thread cited of people coming down on "winners" without having ridden them. All at the defense of Disney.
    I agree with your premise, people are overly defensive of Disney when they don't place high in surveys and awards. I personally think the awards all have some merit, it's easy to pick them apart, but for the most part I agree with them. I think some of the rides and parks that have beat Disney were better in those particular aspects. Few parks compare well overall to DL, but there are a few that aren't far off, and better then many of Disney's parks if you looked at them as stand alone.

I think TSMM probably was the most innovative and interesting attraction of the year. I don't think it's a great attraction, but it probably deserved the award nonetheless, at least just for its technical achievements and broad appeal.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    Regardless of whether you think this ride deserves an award or not, it seems rather unfair to judge an attraction that you have never ridden.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It is much better then BLAB... Much better.

Leave a comment:

• CinderellaStory
    replied

Originally posted by Scary Scott View Post
    To answer your questions
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    And Maybe,
    I hate to say it but in MY HONEST OPINION Toy Story MIDWAY Mania really dosn't deserve anything.
    It LOOKS fun and all but I havent rode it yet but from everything I have seen it looks to me like a copy paste BLAB for the other park with little improvements added to it.
    and thats it, I Did not like BLAB I thought it was boring and less than disney standards and I look at midway mania as more of the same. I mean how many Toy Story Shooting game rides can they make? I think the award is bogus at best and paid for at worst. My 2 cents
    Regardless of whether you think this ride deserves an award or not, it seems rather unfair to judge an attraction that you have never ridden.

Leave a comment:

• nonob88
    replied

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    I picture some shy kid who never wins an award coming up slowly to accept his reward and then some lively teenager barges in and shares the award and steals the spotlight.

DHS = teenager...

no, this "shy kid" has won awards before. see below.

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
    I have not read through the whole thread but if i remember correctly this is not the first time an attraction from DCA won a THEA award. Another one that i remember of clearly is the Animation attraction.
    yes, the Animation Building and Soarin' Over California at DCA have both won THEA awards in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Scary Scott
    replied

Just to toss a little gasoline on the fire...

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...its-crown.html

My questions will now be put to the test thanks to the submission of your thread timba!

Will the competition's voting system be called into question? Will the merits of the award be called into question? Will individuals cite every reason imaginable as to why this award should not count? Or will it be accepted at face value because Disney won and per the article has won in the past as well?
    To answer your questions
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    And Maybe,
    I hate to say it but in MY HONEST OPINION Toy Story MIDWAY Mania really dosn't deserve anything.
    It LOOKS fun and all but I havent rode it yet but from everything I have seen it looks to me like a copy paste BLAB for the other park with little improvements added to it.
    and thats it, I Did not like BLAB I thought it was boring and less than disney standards and I look at midway mania as more of the same. I mean how many Toy Story Shooting game rides can they make? I think the award is bogus at best and paid for at worst. My 2 cents

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I haven't paid attention to enough of the results to see how people react to the awards. haha

Leave a comment:

• timbabbcomedian
    replied

I just think it's funny that if the results are pro Disney no one questions the competition but if the results are not in Disney's favor then everyone tears apart every aspect of the survey...
    Really? 'Cause it seems like a few people in this thread have questioned the results.

Your not alone any more, friend.

Leave a comment:

• SillySpook
    replied

Hooray!! My favorite ride in DCA gets some big-time love!

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
    I have no idea who these people are or their associations. I just was the only person willing to fire up google. haha
    I just think it's funny that if the results are pro Disney no one questions the competition but if the results are not in Disney's favor then everyone tears apart every aspect of the survey...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That is an interesting question...

So to recap... a survey that is sent out to multiple individuals spread out in different locations should be called into question when Disney doesn't place... but an award presented by a panel of a select few individuals who may or may not have their own individual political motivations gets a free pass because Disney won...

Just making sure I'm understanding everything. Because to be honest everyone from TPI might have their own motivations, but as a large collective group those motivations are balanced out. The panel for TEA is substantially smaller so each individual's opinion holds a great deal more weight. Using the criteria from the previous thread... this "award" has a much greater possibility of being corrupt, far greater then TPI, and the results should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.
    I have no idea who these people are or their associations. I just was the only person willing to fire up google. haha

Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    I've never been to six flags, so, I guess it was unfair of me to consider it something like that, I was pretty much comparing it to something like Big Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn.

Oh, wait, I have been to Magic Mountain! I went when I was realllllly little, I think.. All I remember is a loony tunes show and a tweety bird cage ride? Is that the right amusement park?
    I've meant to go every time we go to Disneyland, but its just to hard to get there.

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Disney is crossbreading. Turns out that Tinkershmit is Andy's grandpa.

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

It's his aunt's office above the boardwalk.

Leave a comment:

• timbabbcomedian
    replied

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
    Yeah, the DCA exterior is absolutely gorgeous, but the attraction's placement in Paradise Pier really confuses the backstory. The DHS version is at least consistent in its attempt to convince you that you've been shrunk to the size of a toy in a world where Pixar characters are alive. The DCA version takes you from a life-sized, essentially realistic boardwalk from the early 20th century and then drops you into a toy version of a set of midway games without any transition or explanation, showing the context of the attraction only once you get to the exit - and even that creates the contradiction of Andy's modern-day aunt having an office containing modern toys above this boardwalk that's supposedly from an earlier time period. Whether or not that's a problem is an issue each individual has to sort out for him/herself, but I don't see how anyone who really thinks about it can say that the DCA version has no holes in it.
    Oh cpome on...it's CLEARLY Andy's grandparents' house where he would stay for extended periods of time and as such had vast amounts of toys with him to play with in his grandfather's study to stay out of the hair of the adults.

...or I just pulled that out of...um...thin air

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

Yeah, the DCA exterior is absolutely gorgeous, but the attraction's placement in Paradise Pier really confuses the backstory. The DHS version is at least consistent in its attempt to convince you that you've been shrunk to the size of a toy in a world where Pixar characters are alive. The DCA version takes you from a life-sized, essentially realistic boardwalk from the early 20th century and then drops you into a toy version of a set of midway games without any transition or explanation, showing the context of the attraction only once you get to the exit - and even that creates the contradiction of Andy's modern-day aunt having an office containing modern toys above this boardwalk that's supposedly from an earlier time period. Whether or not that's a problem is an issue each individual has to sort out for him/herself, but I don't see how anyone who really thinks about it can say that the DCA version has no holes in it.

Leave a comment:

• stevo505
    replied

I think DCA's TSMM building is much more lavish than at DHS... but I don't see why all of a sudden the toys are living in a Victorian house instead of the modern one we see in the movies.

Leave a comment:

• Imagineer Scott
    replied

I don't get all the DHS flame. I know its queue is AMAZING and draws everyone to that end of the park.

You feel like you're the size of a pea.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X