X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirate Lover 68
    replied
    Re: I have a great idea....

If you stay at either the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier, you are about 4/10ths of a mile from the main gate. Staying at the Red Lion "Maingate" you are a little over 6/10ths of a mile. I agree, walking back and forth would be lengthy, and "on property" you can at least take the Monorail, but it's not entirely unfair for a hotel to say "walking distance" if they are a mile or less away from the main gate. I do agree that much more than that, and you're stretching the truth a bit.

Leave a comment:

• whitestrat
    replied

I've wondered about this before, and I think the whole "Main Gate" thing must stem from the hotels' former occupants, the hotels that were there in the before times, before there was so much growth in the area and let alone a whole other theme park.
    They probably said "Main Gate" because you could see Disneyland from much further away, thus thinking, See, Disneyland is RIGHT THERE.

Idk, I'm just talking crazy.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

All I can say is that I'm glad that I live within about a 20 minute drive of DLR. If you think you're old, Tim, I think I and a few others around here got you beat on that one. I'm 38, myself, and trust me - I'm not one to walk anywhere a mile or more away if I can help it. Once I get inside the parks, I'm happy to walk as much as I need to get around. As for running. ROFL! Maybe I'll work up to that, but right now it would hurt me a lot and probably cause a small earthquake.

Leave a comment:

• wvnative
    replied

Well, I feel old and I understand. lol

AND couldn't agree more about the hotels/motels needing to rephrase their Main Gate status. Being "across from Disneyland" doesnt; quite cut it when you're nowhere close to the gate.

We've stayed at that Ramada Ltd N. I wasn't impressed and hated having to cross over the freeway especially after dark.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

You have a great memory. There was an entrance to the Disneyland parking lot on Katella, directly across Katella from the Anaheim Convention Center. And there wasn't all that long of a hike to the park's gate, because trams covered almost all of the parking lot. Here's a picture of the Katella gate from 1994:

In 1967 my Dad (who worked for the Orange County Road Department) found a $2.50 U.S. gold coin right there on the street. He took it to a coin dealer, who told him that if it was in perfect condition it might be worth a lot, but since it looked like it had been run over, it was only worth the face value of $2.50. We kept it for years and joked that we had a coin that was intended to be part of the Pirates of the Caribbean but fell out, though we never really knew or could prove that, it was just a family story.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

I agree with the original intention of this post...my, we digress, don't we?!...

I do have a question to throw into the mix: Disneyland used to have another entrance off (I believe) Katella that went into the back of the parking lot (now DCA for you younger ones!). Could some of those hotels have been nearer to that entrance and referring to it rather than the one we are used to?

And, yes, I realize it was in the BACK of the parking lot and a huge hike, but it was an entrance. Just a thought....

Leave a comment:

• 01spirit750
    replied

The hotel term I love is: "Directly across the street from Disneyland".
    Well guess what, the Disneyland resort is over 80 acres. Can you imagine a first timer booking this hotel thinking they are in walking distance.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

What if we don't like to run even while young? lol

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

) you make it sounds so fun to get old

by the way, i love how off topic this thread got

Leave a comment:

• timbabbcomedian
    replied

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    :lol:
    usually at this time my boyfriend would just stick his tongue at me
    it's fun for me to find loopholes

plus i use to be a track runner in high school
    and i just got out of high school
    so i still enjoy running

OOOOOOOOHHH You're still young! I get it now. When you're old and broken like me, you'll understand...oh will you understand. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

:lol:
    usually at this time my boyfriend would just stick his tongue at me
    it's fun for me to find loopholes

plus i use to be a track runner in high school
    and i just got out of high school
    so i still enjoy running

Leave a comment:

• timbabbcomedian
    replied

well if you ran to the gate instead of walked
    you would get there faster
    and then spend like an extra 10 minutes at disneyland!

seeeeee how it all works out
    You're killing me, Captain Fitness lol

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

well if you ran to the gate instead of walked
    you would get there faster
    and then spend like an extra 10 minutes at disneyland!

seeeeee how it all works out

Leave a comment:

• timbabbcomedian
    replied

well maybe
    if you put on some workout clothes
    you could run back and forth
    and get a great workout!

i would actually do this
    actually i just might
    my only problem is...
    running shoes do not look good when not used for running
    that's just my opinion
    Not for nothin'...but I don't go to Disneyland to get a great work out...especially if I'm plunking my hard earned money on the table...I want to maximize the time spent in the park I bout tickets for or in the hotel I paid for...not on the road in between which is free and I could do that anytime.

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

well maybe
    if you put on some workout clothes
    you could run back and forth
    and get a great workout!

i would actually do this
    actually i just might
    my only problem is...
    running shoes do not look good when not used for running
    that's just my opinion

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

Agreed. These hotels are very misleading. After removing "Main Gate", they should be forced to replace the words with "Kinda Close... To Shuttles and Cabs".

Leave a comment:

• timbabbcomedian
    replied

Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I only asked because we have stayed at the Motel 6 Maingate, which is a mile away, but I would consider a mile to be walking distance.
    A mile is walking distance unless you plan to go back and forth a lot.

I could walk there in the morning and back at night, but if your group needs to make multiple trips to and from the hotel a day a mile is waaaaaay to flippin' far.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Fine print is fun!

Leave a comment:

• Pirate Lover 68
    replied

I only asked because we have stayed at the Motel 6 Maingate, which is a mile away, but I would consider a mile to be walking distance.

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

I have found that the hotels are all evil!!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X