Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why are some Disney Fans so Greedy?

So unless you have lived under a rock these past couple of months than you know Disney has had more crowds than the last couple of years.

Most Disneyland fans blame this on how the AP program works now, along with the birthday promotion. I know no one likes lines (especially me) so most Disneyland fans go off and start saying we should make the AP prices higher or take the system away all together.

Now I know I'm entering an argument I can't win because people seem to care more about what makes trips good for them but here I go.

So if Disney got ride of AP's how many of us Disneyland fans that live 2 hours of less from the park (and even farther) would not go more than twice a year???

I think it would be a large number of fans. The reason an AP is good for me is because it drops the price of going by a lot, yet I'm still paying for gas and food. Making it still a good amount of money every time I go.

So even with the AP I spend 50 dollars a trip, most times. So if I went with no AP it could cost up to 90 to 100 dollars, and that would make me go way less. My friends also would not go at all since were young and don;t have that much cash just to waste.

So for all you AP haters and people that have more money than others and just want less crowds, you want Disney to act like more of a business even through you know that if they make a bigger profit than before they will not improve the park more (the last three years they add something new at least every 3 months, even without making that much money)

So stop hating on Apers who love the part but don't have 1000 dollars to spend on Disneyland a year and still want to go every month to get to see the park year round.
    Happy Halloween!!!

Re: Why are some Disney Fans so Greedy?

Disney needs to put a cap on AP visits. You should be able to buy 10 visits for less than you pay for 20 visits. People who live next to the park practically live there! Every weekend, they bop over for the fireworks, Fantasmic, rides, or a show. They drive in alone, fill up the parking structure, and make the experience worse for everyone else.

Comment

Speaking only for myself...

The APs my family have mean we make the 6-7 hour trip from Northern California 3-4 times a year.

With no AP, we would do it MAYBE once a year.

All four trips we spend money at the resort on food and souvenirs, not to mention hotel and gas for a long round trip.

Eliminating the APs may indeed improve the crowded conditions that some are unhappy with, but IMO it would cut into Disney profits...which could (in the long run) hurt us all.

Comment

I am a deluxe annual passholder but I do think they should get rid of the Southern California passes. (And I qualify for one) They are way too cheap! I am taking my MIL in December and it was cheaper to buy her a Southern California Pass than a 3 day park hopper. They are way too cheap.
        --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Comment

Originally posted by whamo View Post
          Disney needs to put a cap on AP visits. You should be able to buy 10 visits for less than you pay for 20 visits. People who live next to the park practically live there! Every weekend, they bop over for the fireworks, Fantasmic, rides, or a show. They drive in alone, fill up the parking structure, and make the experience worse for everyone else.
          Is this based on some research polls you have done? I am in the "everyone else" catigory since I don't "live at" the park and these folks don't seem to make anything "worse for me". Just putting that in there.

Comment

Why is it "greedy" to not want to pay 10, 20, even 30 times as much to get into the park as someone standing right in front of you ?

I think there is "greed" going on but it's not where you think it is
            Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
              So stop hating on Apers
              I don't think hating APers was ever the issue. In most of these debates, that side is very clear that it is the program they dislike, not the people who understandably make use of it.

Furthermore, I have to admit I'm having trouble following your logic. You're saying that eliminating the AP program would indeed reduce the number of people in the park, which is exactly what opponents of the program want.

Note: I rarely enter into these debates because I'm a non-AP who has no particular ill will toward the program, so please don't assume I have any sort of strong opinions on this topic.

Comment

So for all you AP haters and people that have more money than others and just want less crowds, you want Disney to act like more of a business even through you know that if they make a bigger profit than before they will not improve the park more (the last three years they add something new at least every 3 months, even without making that much money)

So stop hating on Apers who love the part but don't have 1000 dollars to spend on Disneyland a year and still want to go every month to get to see the park year round.
                I've never seen anyone express hatred towards passholders.

Disneyland was intended as a vacation destination, somewhere special you went on occasion, not every month at a remarkably low cost.

Disneyland is not a right. You want to go every month, but don't want to pay $1000. You want a certain amount of access to Disney and you want it to fit your budget. Who is being greedy here?

Us tourists can spend over $1000 to go to Disneyland for a week, so I have zero sympathy to those who complain about the price of an annual pass.

There are lots of things I love but cannot afford to partake in as often as I would like. That's life.

If you look at what a typical day at Disneyland costs, I'd say it's $40 for people using park hoppers. Disney could charge $40 x 12 = $480 for an annual pass. Go more than 12 times and it's still a bargain. They could charge twice that and it would still be more than reasonable.

I'll give the example I used in another thread. I was at Disneyland on a Wednesday in early October. It was busier than usual, due to the Halloween promotions. Despite being off-season, lines for Space Mountain exceeded two hours at times. The Matterhorn was running one side only and had a 70+ minute wait most of the day.

Despite the crowds, the park was scheduled for off-season hours. Sure, they added an hour, but that's not a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I had no problem doing the things I wanted to do and had a lovely time as always, but when I'm paying $40 a day, and standing in huge lines in the off-season, while they advertise annual passes at $7 a month, I definately get the feeling that it's unfair, and I'm not the target audience anymore.

I understand that they want to fill the park with people in the off-season, and giving cheap admission is offset by the added food/merch income. There has to be a balance though, and it seems that the annual passes are a bit too cheap and the crowds are getting to be a bit much, and the information we're seeing is that revenue is actually down.
                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

My family started using the Annual Passport pass last year, and it resulted in the ones who got it (sadly I didn't get to get one), and it resulted in a second trip for everyone who got one. For a family who growing up went to Disneyland Park once a year, and got to go for one day (then we had to go home the next morning), it's amazing to go for two three-day trips (we didn't start doing that until California Adventure opened). As a result I'm actually going to buying an Annual Passport for next year, and as an Arizona Disneyland fan, I'm looking forward to using it.
                  "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
                  ***Next trip to the DisneylandŽ Resort***
                  ***May 9, 2012***

Comment

I also agree that they need to get rid of the two lower-tier APs.

Disneyland already has a bad reputation from non-locals as being "small and crowded". I actually feel for the people that save up to visit, only to have a claustrophobic rough trip because of all of the Southern California APs flooding through. That's not going to leave them with a positive outlook on the park, and might also lower the likelihood of them coming back.

While it's true that there are going to be days that are busy, even if the So Cal AP ends, I think that it might be a solution to help ease over a nice percentage of the guest traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by BTMR_Goat View Post
                      I actually feel for the people that save up to visit, only to have a claustrophobic rough trip because of all of the Southern California APs flooding through. That's not going to leave them with a positive outlook on the park...
                      Well, it really depends a lot on one's attitude. Personally, I've had amazing days on the park even when it's fairly crowded. And just doing one's homework can help prevent going on days when it's REALLY over the top.

...and might also lower the likelihood of them coming back.
                      But if the point is to reduce the number of people in the park, that's a good thing...

There's always going to be struggle between Disney's financially motivated desire to bring in as many customers as possible and the average guest's desire to not be packed in like sardines. Both POVs are entirely reasonable, and I doubt the conflict between them is going away any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                        But if the point is to reduce the number of people in the park, that's a good thing...
                        Well, from a financial perspective, I'm sure that the out-of-towners probably spend more money at the parks. There are 10 people at my work that have So Cal passes, and they avoid buying food or merchandise.

I think that reducing the number of people is great, but yes, from the business side of things, Disney WANTS Disneyland to become a resort destination (which is why lately they haven't been shy about posting "Disneyland Resort" everywhere they can). There's still work to do to turn Disneyland into a tried and true resort, but I think it starts with cutting down on some of the APs.

Comment

Disneyland is the epitome of self-indulgence. By design there's no challenge and no conflict. Once you've paid for a ticket you enter a fantasy world where the objective is to eschew the biting jaws of reality in exchange for the warm embrace of a cushy, pleasurable world. It's no surprise that this leads to feelings of selfishness and entitlement. People believe that they're entitled to a certain experience, and when the actual experience fails to live up to the idealized version they hold mentally it becomes a problem. Many choose to deal with this conflict by placing the blame onto an external party, in Micechat's case this happens to be the AP-holding masses, and claiming that this external party has no "right" to be in the parks as often as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by The International View Post
                            Disneyland is the epitome of self-indulgence. By design there's no challenge and no conflict. Once you've paid for a ticket you enter a fantasy world where the objective is to eschew the biting jaws of reality in exchange for the warm embrace of a cushy, pleasurable world. It's no surprise that this leads to feelings of selfishness and entitlement. People believe that they're entitled to a certain experience, and when the actual experience fails to live up to the idealized version they hold mentally it becomes a problem. Many choose to deal with this conflict by placing the blame onto an external party, in Micechat's case this happens to be the AP-holding masses, and claiming that this external party has no "right" to be in the parks as often as they are.
                            Boots, I need boots:lol:
                            Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Bravo! Well said.

Comment

I like the Ap's, the prices, and the privlages that it comes with(disneyland anytime u want), to me it's all worth the money, I upgraded from a Deluxe to a Premium pass when my old one expired and I love it. If disney were to change the system or were to get rid of the system all together, I think it would really piss some people off, myself included. Why worry about crowds and lines, every park has them, just be glad that your at disneyland and that you can even afford an AP in the down economy

Comment

Passholders have the right to go 365 days a year if they choose. Disney has the right to offer annual passes at whatever prices they choose. I don't think anyone should feel entitled to anything.

If one thinks the park is over-crowded, due to passholders or whatever reason, they can choose whether or not to go.

I would never feel it's my right to a certain experience, but in my example above I did witness larger-than-usual crowds which I conclude were largely influenced by the annual pass program. I don't have the "right" to demand a better experience, but I will judge my experience and it will influence how likely I am to return. In my case, I would say the conditions would make me "slightly more likely" to vacation elsewhere.

And let's not pretend it doesn't go both ways. Many passholders feel they have a right to that pass at a low low price. Just look at some of the reactions to price-hike rumours.
                                  My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

As I've said all along in the numerous other AP threads, buying (or not buying) and utilizing an AP is a persons choice.

AP's are a method of enjoying the Park. And now thanks to the finance plan AP's (as I've said since they were first announced, a very bad idea for most guests), everyone can afford one (well except for the ones that have already defaulted on their payments...Again, like I said would happen).

Purchasers of AP's are just following the guidelines set forth by the fine folks at Disney.

All of the turmoil over the "nasty" Ap'ers (with the exception of a few well deserved observations/comments from the CM's and other observant guests about the "P*******s"), seem to be limited to online discussions in the various Park related chatroom websites.

It seems to me that outside of the chatroom sites, the folks that have and utilize the AP's are very happy with them. I know that we certainly enjoyed ours prior to obtaining our other method of "entry" and actually still do have them for our kids.

Maybe it's a case of the "haves" versus the "have-nots"??? I hope not...

Consumers can complain all they want, but until they actually vote with their dollars, AP's will still be a reality and will still be used as they were designed.

And I certainly don't hear the fine folks at Disney complaining about the program...

Comment

Originally posted by BTMR_Goat View Post
                                      Well, from a financial perspective, I'm sure that the out-of-towners probably spend more money at the parks. There are 10 people at my work that have So Cal passes, and they avoid buying food or merchandise.
                                      I'm curious as to why this keeps poping up in these debates and delivered by various people as if it were proven fact. Was a research project done someplace?

As an AP holder, but not a So-Cal local, I do not think I spend less at the resort (aside from my actual admission price) than a visitor who has made a one time trip for one to three days.

The So-Cal locals, pass holders or not, are a different situation I believe. I grew up in San Jose back when Great America was really as pretty good theme park. There were no annual passes then, or local discounts. As a local who could go there for a day and then head home, we didn't buy food and such at the inflated prices of a theme park, why would we when we had a fridge full of food 15 minutes down the road?

Would those locals visit as often if they didn't have those discounts? I doubt it. Would that help "park crowding"? Yes. Would it help the Disney business? No. Not buying merchandise and/or food on every visit doesn't mean their presence (in the form of admission-even nominal levels-money) wouldn't be missed by the Disney business.

It just seems that simple to me, though I confess to not being a finiancial expert...No AP system, and perhaps even local pass system, means less people in the park...which is great for those who are bothered by crowds and would prefer not to wait in line for attractions and such, but not so great for Disney Park profits which are already taking a hit due to current economic times.

Comment

I don't see any evidence of 'greed' in your post, but I do see some selfishness, and that includes yourself. You want to go to the park "every month year round" but you think others who want to maybe go less often but deal with fewer people are greedy. People who can't afford an AP at all would think you are greedy. Really, it's all just selfishness. We all want to be able to go to the park when we want and under the conditions which we find favorable. So in that we're all guilty of being selfish.

No one 'hates' the APers. Some vehemently dislike the program and blame it for all of the park's ills. It's not perfect and may have to be changed soon, either eliminating monthly payments or the cheaper APs or both.

Let's be realistic. This year was a collision of bad ideas and bad timing. The free birthday promo resulted in a lot of extra guests. The bad economy resulted in a lot of locals taking 'staycations' to DL instead of a trip to Hawaii, etc. The park undertook a massive advertising campaign for the new dragon in Fantasmic and then failed not only to deliver the dragon but to develop any reasonable way to cope with the crowds. They undertook a massive project at DCA and caused major problems with the parking areas.

They also lowered the quality and selection of merchandise at the park, and then made some park merchandise available online. The result is reduced sales. They lowered (is that even possible?) the quality of most of the food available inside DL, and again sales are lower.

If the crowd levels remain high for another year, if the parking problems persist, a lot of APers will stop renewing and we'll see if everything really IS their fault. I don't think it is.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X