• Show
Clear All
  • Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Re: Biggest rip off at Disney.

Originally posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Yep!

No one is holding a gun to anyones' head to purchase hotel rooms, food, souveniers or even ponchos while they are enjoying the Park.

People choose to pay for stuff within the Park mostly based on convenience and desire (as in souveniers). And the fine folks at Disney know that.

Hence, the current prices.

Don't like the prices? Don't just whine about them, don't pay them!

If more folks did just that, the suits at Disney might get the message.

Yes, it really is that simple!
    I agreed...
    But I also think ther some people buy because they think it's special,
    and they right ....FOR THE DISNEY CO... they got your MONEY!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Bob Weaver
      MiceChatter
      • Aug 2009

If they could get a branch of Burger Lounge in Downtown Disney then that problem would be solved.

Comment

• CinderellaStory
        Sharing a Paopu Fruit
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jazziered View Post
        This is one meaning to Rip off. So yes it does fit for subject matter. also rip offverbTo exploit (another) by charging too much for something: fleece, overcharge. Slang clip1, gouge, nick, scalp, skin, soak. Idioms: make someone pay through the nose, take someone for a ride, take someone to the cleaners. See honest/dishonest.noun I think the biggest rip off is reserved seating for Fantasmic. Over 60 dollars per person for a seat that isn't even in the center, it's off to the side and you get a little dessert box....
        I disagree. My family greatly enjoyed the priority seating. It was definitely too expensive, but it was given to us as a gift and we loved every minute of it. You would probably pay that much for a dinner theatre show anyhow.

Comment

• RPDigger
          Proud owner: 50th Tiki
          • Jan 2007

Here is the biggest rip-off: Replacing Parade of Dreams with Celebrate! A Street Party.

Comment

• FREQDUDE
            Laughing Last..
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
            Ponchos. They know you want one. They stamp "Disney Parks" on them. They charge a ridiculous amount for a garment you wear for about 5 minutes, and will likely throw away before the day is over.
            It rained on us in March of '02. Day started out beautiful, but by noon it was a deluge. It was weird how so much rain in a short time, clogged up street drains and made the walkways between Matterhorn and Alice into a lake. But I digress. I just wanted to say that I still have those ponchos and take them with us when we go and the weather looks less than inviting. They've held up great.

Comment

• TikiGhost
              • Sep 2009

I wanted pasta at the Pizza Port next to SM, with no meat or sauce or anything, and the CM said it was 10 bucks for a little half full bowl.

Comment

• dmtnt55
                The 'Big Dreams' Kid
                • Jul 2009

$11 for a slice of pizza and a drink in Tomorrowland. Wow.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                  Iron-Clad Allie
                  • Feb 2005

Innoventions is the biggest waaste of space rip off... in terms of the experience and the size of the building.
                  To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• phi1215
                    Yes, that is my real name
                    • Nov 2009

Seems like a big complaint is the price of the food. You can save money by going over to McD's, (which I could do in my hometown) but I didn't go to Disneyland to save $, I went there to experience the park to the fullest. It's not a $6 hot dog, it's $6 to sit there at a table over looking TSI, having a hot dog with my kid in Disneyland! For the memories involved, that's a bargain!

Also, a lot of the mark up on food and items is because that park is a 24 hour operation, the overhead has to be astronomical! I don't know how many CM and other staff work every day, but from the characters, store keepers, food service, clean up crews, and all the more that you don't see, they have to pay those folks their wages too!

The fact of reality is, the park is there to provide entertainment and to make a profit. The world we live in costs a lot of money, so why would anyone think they deserve a break just because? In a perfect world it would be nice if prices were lower, food quality and portions were better and everyone could afford to go as often as they wanted.
                    Yaye!

Comment

• TurkeyLegAddict
                      I'm hungry!!!
                      • Jul 2009

Dasani water is unbelievably priced, like it was Evian! Heeeheheeeee!!

A single banana at Village Haus was $2.71 last spring. Trader Joe's had (or has) them for $0.19 each!
                      Disneyland visitor since 1967!

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                        MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2009

I don't believe anyone goes to Disneyland expecting to encounter bargain prices for anything, including the food. However I think they should provide quality food and steer away from anything that is cheapo or low-quality, as that degrades the guest experience a little and also hurts the park's image and reputation, and a major selling point for anything with the Disney brand is the company's image and reputation. They don't need to lower prices, but they should get rid of anything that is of low quality.

Comment

• pinkertonfloyd
                          • Oct 2005

Well I can say they're not too bad in some ways... we forgot to bring a set of Playtex Bottle Inserts for our twins. My wife figured we had to go back, we stopped at the Baby Center figuring they might have some for sale. Nope... they handed us a few... no charge.

I felt a little better since last time. I was in San Diego the week before and saw pricing that would make Disney Blush there. (When did San Diego become so expensive?).

The Hotdogs for $6 need to be bigger for that price (Hotdogs for 4 with a coke ends up a tad over $40!). I didn't think Redd Rocket's was a bad deal overall though. I ALWAYS try to buy a case of water and put it in the trunk of the car and grab a few coming and going (after the 2nd water, that 24 pack from Target pays for itself). We also didn't feel that the BBQ was too bad ether... although they really should include drinks at that price, but plenty of food and quality was great... ti was a bargain when thinking about the $40 Hot Dog meals...

Comment

• phi1215
                            • Nov 2009

I always prepay the meals so that way when I am there it doesn't feel like I am paying so much!
                            Yaye!

Comment

• DLR29
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by CinderellaStory View Post
                              I disagree. My family greatly enjoyed the priority seating. It was definitely too expensive, but it was given to us as a gift and we loved every minute of it. You would probably pay that much for a dinner theatre show anyhow.
                              1st of all, it was given to you as a gift, so you can't say how much of a ripoff it is. Yes, you enjoyed it because it is a really cool thing. But shelling out almost a day's admission price for a little box and a chair is not a good deal in that poster's opinion and my opinion.

Next, a dinner theatre show includes dinner (not a small box of dessert) and the show is longer than 20 minutes.

I agree about the priority seating, DCA's admission, but I also want to add that the light-up toys that they sell at parades and shows are incredible rip-offs. That and the Games of the Boardwalk...but at least that's an accurate representation of the classic rip-off.
                              Love WoC!!!

Next DL trip: August 2011

"What do you mean we can't get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
                              -Walt Disney

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                                MiceChatter
                                • Aug 2009

A family of 4 can walk up to the outdoor food court at Costco (and no membership is required at the food court) and buy 4 hot dogs plus 4 sodas with unlimited refills, at a total cost of $6.46 - yet 4 hot dogs with sodas in Disneyland is over $40.00, more than six times the Costco price - and that's after having paid to get in the park!

Comment

• CMHusband
                                  Nerd
                                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by cromag View Post
                                  Ok I admittedly have a love hate relationship with DL. I love the park but hate the corporate greed. Dont get me wrong. Its a business and should make money but its getting crazy. I make decent money and love to take my daughter but every time I go I cant help but think I'm getting fleeced by the mouse.

Let me know what you think the worst abuses are.
                                  This whole concept cracks me up...Its a business. For PROFIT! Go or don't go...its pretty simple.
                                  Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                                  Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

• micromind
                                    world class bilge rat
                                    • Aug 2009

Since attendance is up and profits are down, it appears to me that more than a few people are getting tired of being ripped off once they're inside the parks.

Hopefully, DL management will learn something from this.

Rob

Comment

• PirateMickey
                                      A Pirate's life for me!
                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                      Since attendance is up and profits are down, it appears to me that more than a few people are getting tired of being ripped off once they're inside the parks.

Hopefully, DL management will learn something from this.

Rob

Well, "profits are down" can be taken many different ways.

Have expenses increased?
                                      Hard costs increased?
                                      Write-offs during the quarter?

Or maybe the lowered profits are partly due to the free B-Day tix handed out this past year? Letting thousands upon thousands of guests in for free (or giving away "Fun Cards" with actual cash value) can certainly lower the profit margin...

And how much did most of those freebie guests actually spend once they were inside the Park?

From some of the comments posted here, it doesn't sound like much...

And then throw in the media-hyped "bad economy" to scare even the most stable folks into not spending anything extra and what can a company expect in the way of sales/profits?

Sure, no one wants to pay more for anything, especially when they feel the value for the product doesn't justify the price. But blaming the current level of pricing without any hard facts to back up the statement isn't an accurate summary of the "lowered profits"...

Comment

• Leofoenget
                                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by cromag View Post
                                        Ok I admittedly have a love hate relationship with DL. I love the park but hate the corporate greed. Dont get me wrong. Its a business and should make money but its getting crazy. I make decent money and love to take my daughter but every time I go I cant help but think I'm getting fleeced by the mouse.

Let me know what you think the worst abuses are.
                                        The "PB&J" kids meals which are is un-crustable with some grapes for over $7
                                        Janette

Comment

• phi1215
                                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                          A family of 4 can walk up to the outdoor food court at Costco (and no membership is required at the food court) and buy 4 hot dogs plus 4 sodas with unlimited refills, at a total cost of $6.46 - yet 4 hot dogs with sodas in Disneyland is over $40.00, more than six times the Costco price - and that's after having paid to get in the park!

Yes but you can't eat a hot dog at Costco next to the Rivers of America.
                                          Yaye!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X