X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pineapplewhipaddict
    replied
    Re: No Turkey's This Year?

The pardoned turkeys don't need to go to Disneyland, IMHO. And no offense to Disney, but I don't think they're experts on how to care for turkeys.

And the pardoned turkeys are not obligated to be paraded around for our "amusement". This isn't like taking away Pirates of the Caribbean...they're friggen turkeys.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    That figures....the add in the top right corner of the page is advertising
    Jone's Tofurky and Gravy Soda. Now if that's not disgusting, I don't know what is...

Leave a comment:

• MsSarah
    replied

Originally posted by aashee View Post
    For me this is a total "who cares" story.

2 turkeys out of the 30 million we eat on thanks giving are pardoned? Who cares!

They won't be coming to Disneyland? Who cares!

Not Disney World either? Who cares!

People won't get to see them on Big Thunder Trail? Who cares?

Wife is making Tofurky on Thanksgiving? WHOA! I CARE ABOUT THAT!
    That figures....the add in the top right corner of the page is advertising
    Jone's Tofurky and Gravy Soda. Now if that's not disgusting, I don't know what is...

Leave a comment:

• Lore
    replied

I knew there was something foul about the story. Pardoned Turkeys going to Disneyland is a tradition and it's nice to see a live version of the bird that Ben Franklin suggested for the national bird. It's obviously just a publicity stunt at Disney's cost by a fringe organization with dubious reasoning skills.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by micromind View Post
    P.S. Maybe if they turned the 30 live turkeys loose in DL for thanksgiving... lol

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" :lol:

Thirty domesticated turkeys let loose in Disneyland wouldn't last a month - a pack of cats or a stray dog would get them, and there's enough wild patches around to provide an urban habitat that a coyote wouldn't be unheard of in the area.

We're three miles in from "wilderness" and we get the Evening Serenade from a little coyote den on a steep hill a block north of here. Houses at the top and all around the bottom of the hill, and Coyote Country set up housekeeping on the side of a steep slope...

There is a huge disconnect between wild turkeys and the domesticated China White Butterball. Wild turkeys survive 20 - 25 years in the wild because they are lean, smart and wily buggers, and still have basic (if weak) flying skills. They aren't going to migrate to Argentina, but they can get enough altitude and distance to safely roost in the trees and/or get away from predators.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• mac81962
    replied

This year, the biggest turkey of all will be sent to Disneyland. barack hussein obama.

Leave a comment:

• DLandFansAZ
    replied

Originally posted by aashee View Post
    Wow, you nailed this one. I've got three in my deep freezer, which I guess qualifies me as not a vegetarian. Donated one to the Church this morning, so I guess I did my good deed. Oh yeah, and we have ordered a turducken for Christmas so I guess we're just plowing down the poultry this year. So I guess it's "So long and thanks for all the fish birds."

Leave a comment:

• Baloo
    replied

Wild turkeys live over 25 years, turkeys bred in captivity for consumption nautrally die within a year. They are fed so many steroids and hormones that their body is already a mess by the time they are slaughtered. No matter how much care they get they usually do not survive more than 18 months.

This is just a publicity stunt to get more funding for their farm and PETA way of creating noise. what they need to do instead is see what they could do to save animals that are loosing their natural habitat by deforestation and sport.

Leave a comment:

• BestBeatingHeart
    replied

Originally posted by wall-e View Post
    i think this year's white house turkey has been appointed poultry czar.
    lol win!

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied

I've lived on and worked at farms of various sizes pretty much my entire life.

Consider this; on any farm (other than an 'agribusiness' one), any animal born and bred for slaughter is fed the best feed available. They're completely protected from predators, given shelter from the elements, and given top-notch veterinary care. Every real farmer knows that if the above conditions are not met, the animal will not yield as much product as it could. The very livelihood of the farmer depends on the care provided to the livestock.

From what I could see while visiting, DL appears to take pretty good care of its livestock. It's fairly obvious to anyone who can read livestock (every farmer can) that the animals at DL are not malnourished or abused.

PETA, on the other hand, could not possible care any less about the animals it claims to protect. To PETA, animal cruelty is nothing more than a vehicle used to control the public. Just look at their tactics.

Radical environmentalists are exactly the same way. So are safety zealots.

I agree completely with the above post, there is a balance to everything, and modern society is not even close!

Rob

P.S. Maybe if they turned the 30 live turkeys loose in DL for thanksgiving.......lol.

Leave a comment:

• leslie_537
    replied

Seriously?? It is a Turkey bred for slaughter. This environmentalist problem is going a little too far with everything! I live in Central California where I have witnessed, during this poor economy, environmentalist and liberals choose 2" fish over people this year!

It truley reminds me of the first Lilo and Stitch where Pleakly won't let Jumba shoot at Lilo because she is food for the endangered Mosquito population. I still believe that was a poke at the over the top environmentalist. But that is another story.......

**Note I am all for protecting the environment but there does have to be a balance between it all.

Leave a comment:

• mouseknotts
    replied

Originally posted by WALL-E View Post
    I think this year's White House turkey has been appointed Poultry Czar.
    Now that is funny

Leave a comment:

• WALL-E
    replied

I think this year's White House turkey has been appointed Poultry Czar.

Leave a comment:

• Darkbeer
    replied

FYI....

The "THANKS FOR GIVING" Parade WILL be held at 10 AM on Thursday, November 26th, 2009 at 10 AM PST at Disneyland Park.

The Guest of Honor IS the National Pardoned Turkey that will be at the White House THIS Tuesday, and WILL be living out the rest of his life with the "runner-up" at Disneyland.

OK, the original OP posted a story I ignored, since it was a blatant BS story...

REAL facts.....

The National Turkey Federation picks a "farm" each year, which takes about 30 turkey and raises them in a "human" setting, instead of the normal "farm" setting, with the timing designed that they become adults in mid-November (aka Thanksgiving). These birds have a lot of human interaction, and the 30 are monitored and they look for the ones that will be the most "friendly" and have the least chance of doing something stupid when having their "Press" opportunity with the President. Two are selected, the other 28, well, you could be eating the rest of the others this Christmas.....

The folks at Circle "D" at Disneyland do take the BEST care of the two turkeys, which are BRED to become big and fat, and are not expected to live past 6 months.

Prior to Disney taking over the duties of the Pardon Turkeys (Tim O'Day, a former Disneyland PR person came up with the idea) the turkeys went to a small farm on the East Coast...

And did you know, that the FIRST OFFICIAL pardoned turkey didn't happen until 1989???

Thanksgiving Traditions: A Presidential Pardon &mdash; Infoplease.com

National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazing, there was VERY little Media coverage back in 2005, but I was there.....

Disneyland Resort (Happiest Turkey) - 11/24/05 - Darkbeer's Photos

Disney has the rights to the "Turkey" and no petition will change that fact. I think the Disney contract ends next year (a 6 year deal) and the National Turkey Federation can change the arrangement, but I seriously doubt they would switch to the group mentioned in the OP, especially after the nasty comments they have made to get some PR.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Were you think thos TURKEY LEGS that Disneyland Leg's
    come from sell for $8.00......a leg!
    Sorry this a WHO CARE Story

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

Somehow the first thing that popped into my head is the episode on "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Marie made the tofu turkey. Ray then tried to sneak a real, store bought turkey dinner, in the house. The end being the best where they all ate leftover turkey around the kitchen table.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    This sounds like a letter from PETA
    Ya THINK??

This smells like a total set-up, which is why I said what I said. They first insinuate that Disney can't treat animals in their care properly - with no proof to back it up, instead they are challenging Disney to prove a negative. Next thing is to "free the poor opressed Streetcar Horses."

(After that, they'll try to free all the oppressed and enslaved Crocs and Hippos and Gorillas and Elephants at Jungle Cruise. Hate to break it to them, but... :lol: )

They are trying to use this letter to openly pressure the White House into giving them the publicity instead of Disney, and if they can get any traction at all in the press they might be able to pull it off.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• OogieBoogie
    replied

This sounds like a letter from PETA

Leave a comment:

• FI183
    replied

I feel like this is a great tradition for Disneyland and this is just some liberals trying to get publicity. Just like Bruce said, something about this doesn't smell right.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

2 turkeys out of the 30 million we eat on thanks giving are pardoned? Who cares!

They won't be coming to Disneyland? Who cares!

Not Disney World either? Who cares!

People won't get to see them on Big Thunder Trail? Who cares?

Wife is making Tofurky on Thanksgiving? WHOA! I CARE ABOUT THAT!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X