• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christi
    replied
    Re: POTC - "walking the plank" scene?

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
    That is by far the most interesting Hidden Mickey I have ever seen. It's only clear for about a second.
    yep...my boyfriend and I agree!

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Which would you rather float past--a guy standing motionless on the edge of a plank with three circling shrk fins below?

Or a three-masted galleon firing a full broadside over your head, while a Spanish fort fires back with an equal weight of metal--all the while errant shots barely miss your tiny bateaux before splashing nearby?
    I agree with Steve here when you look at the ride's intended presentation as a walk-through as opposed to the ride-through they actually built. The plank scene would possibly fit in a walk-through where the cannons firing around you would not. But for excitement value on a boat ride, the cannons are a great scene filled with the possible danger of being hit. Seeing sharks circling off to the side would not be as interesting.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    Since it's already been posted on Youtube, no sense in not posting a link to it here now, the model is first displayed on 2:44 and continues from there.

YouTube - Walt Disney - Pirates Of The Caribbean (1)
    What a man, what an imagination. You can just hear in his voice a love for everything around him.

Leave a comment:

• Vashsky666
    replied

Since it's already been posted on Youtube, no sense in not posting a link to it here now, the model is first displayed on 2:44 and continues from there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3sAZJh5LoM"]YouTube - Walt Disney - Pirates Of The Caribbean (1)[/ame]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I remember seeing that too on the video that came with the first pirates movie. I guess it was just an idea that never materialized.

Leave a comment:

• HMfanatic
    replied

What I found just as interesting is following this "alternate" ship scene every other part of the walk-thru model is pretty much identical to what we now see - i.e. mayor well-dunking, auction, chase scene. Although admittedly not *exactly* identical - for example the auction scene has the individual sculpted pirates reversed in order so the auctioneer and the damsel he's auctioning appear right at the beginning at the scene; also there are several more pirates on the opposite shore partaking of (wine/rum) seen gushing from a barrel that has had several holes shot out of it. In fact each scene seems to include far more pirate figures than ever actually made it into the ride. So it's possible this was meant to represent some sort of "blue sky" model concept of the attraction and things got honed down a bit later?

Leave a comment:

• Jetlife
    replied

Originally posted by Noski View Post
    It was most likely just a concept sketch...
    It was more than a sketch. Like HMFanatic says, it was mocked up in the walk through.
    I'd post a Youtube link I found, but I'm afraid that it may be copyrighted material.
    That same video included the Town Mayor "Carlos" being dunked in the well.
    I never knew that the "walking the plank scene" was part of the original plans.

Leave a comment:

• Disneytwins
    replied

Originally posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    That scene contains the first hidden mickey that I have ever identified!
    That is by far the most interesting Hidden Mickey I have ever seen. It's only clear for about a second.

Leave a comment:

• Noski
    replied

It was most likely just a concept sketch - either a potential scene that was removed early on (since it would have no place in the ride) or simply a sketch done to get into the "feel" of pirate lore.

Leave a comment:

• Bobd20011
    replied

That scene contains the first hidden mickey that I have ever identified!

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

I doubt historical accuracy had anything to do with the decision at all.

Which would you rather float past--a guy standing motionless on the edge of a plank with three circling shrk fins below?

Or a three-masted galleon firing a full broadside over your head, while a Spanish fort fires back with an equal weight of metal--all the while errant shots barely miss your tiny bateaux before splashing nearby?

I know what I prefer.

Leave a comment:

• DLandFansAZ
    replied

I'm not sure of the nature of Walt Disney's history of pirates was, however even today the concept of walking the plank is still a subject of whether it really happened. Some sources state that it did happen back in the 1800's, but many more sources state today that it was a conception of the movie industry. I don't know what Walt was told when he was originally developing POTC, and being a movie person he could have just been following suit and at the last minute heard that it never happened and decided that he want to make his ride to be the most realistic.

Leave a comment:

• Jachywalcott
    replied

I might not be surprised if this is the antecedent of the infamous Dunking of Don Carlos. Particularly because of your mention of a woman pleading on the victim's behalf.

Leave a comment:

• HMfanatic
    started a topic [Question] POTC - "walking the plank" scene?

POTC - "walking the plank" scene?

Although as my screen name indicates, I'm a huge Haunted Mansion fan - I'm also just as equally interested in the history and construction of Pirates of the Caribbean. And one intrigueing aspect of it I don't think I've ever seen discussed was an apparent alternate scenario to the now familiar bombardment of the city walls by the Wicked Wench pirate ship we're all now so familiar with. I was recently re-watching my "Walt Disney Treasures/ Disneyland USA" set - and specifically the "Disneyland Tenth Anniversary Show" - which features Walt taking the then new DL ambassador Julie Riehms around Imagineering to see future works in progress. While showing her the Pirates walk-thru model, he discusses with Imagineer Claude Coats this scene - but rather than the ship bombarding the fort we instead see quite a few pirates surrounding some poor guy standing at the end of a makeshift plank while shark fins can be seen circling below in the water. (On freeze-framing it I could also make out the figure of a woman apparently pleading with the ship's captain on the guy's behalf.) So, does anyone out there have any idea just what happened here? What intigues me the most is just how this got as far as model layout phase and was then jettisoned for the bombardment version instead. And for that matter, just how would this earlier version have fit in at all story-wise?

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X