Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Remove Haunted Mansion Holiday?

Don't get me wrong: I think that NBC is a great film/franchise, but after riding HMH for the first time in October, I was dissapointed with the ride and not amused by their use. In my opnion the ride is ruined by these characters and that HM should either remove it or wait until after Halloween since the ride could be scary enough with some extra fog for Halloween (ditto with TOT). What do you think? I think a cute NBC show in NOS would be fine and they are welcome, just not at Gracey Manor!
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME :vogue:

Re: Remove Haunted Mansion Holiday?

If they send our overlay to another park and give us something new like a haunted Jungle Cruise, or a holiday space mountain, then I'd be fine with them removing Haunted Mansion Holiday.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
    Save

Comment

Personally, I am not a fan of HMH. I think it's far too drastic a change for the attraction. It feels like a novelty that's overstayed its welcome.

Small World Holiday, by comparison, has greater appeal. I like it because it enhances the existing attraction while maintaining the overall theme and feel of the original.

Comment

The problem is, the vast majority of guests love HMH as evidenced by the usually ridiculously long wait times.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I haven't seen the holiday version, I will check it out this trip
          Yaye!

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
            The problem is, the vast majority of guests love HMH as evidenced by the usually ridiculously long wait times.
            Bingo.

Until those wait times recede, Jack and Company will continue taking over the mansion for Halloween and Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
              If they send our overlay to another park and give us something new like a haunted Jungle Cruise, or a holiday space mountain, then I'd be fine with them removing Haunted Mansion Holiday.
              Wow a haunted Jungle Cruise? That actually sounds really good! I'm gonna think through this one!

Comment

I would be overjoyed - not out of hate for HMH, but out of sheer adoration for the original attraction, which I believe has a far more cohesive and tasteful visual style and makes far better use out of setups like the disappearing stretching room ceiling, the idea of projecting moving faces onto inanimate props, and the hitchhiking ghosts' crypt.

I also believe - without any hard facts to back me up - that part of what causes HMH's consistently long lines is a simple quirk of psychology. People perceive the original Haunted Mansion as just that...the original. HMH is much newer, having been around for less than a decade, and I think people perceive it as being a "limited-time-only" thing. If they visit in June, they know the same old Haunted Mansion will be open next month or next year and thus feel less pressure to ride, but if they see it decked out with a bunch of ridiculous, eye-catching props and a sign that tells them something new and temporary is in place, there's a sense of needing to ride it now, while it lasts. The difference is actually not nearly so great...HM is open for about seven months out of the year, and HMH is open for about three. That's a factor of not much more than 2.

Of course, HMH also ties into a beloved film and features far more visceral (over)stimulation than the original and tasteful HM...but surely that has nothing to do with it.

Comment

I enjoy both attractions, but what I love about HMH is the build in the ride. The music and narration seem to drive you through this twisted nursery rhyme, building to the grand finale. I enjoy the spookyness and slow pace of the normal mansion, but I feel much more engaged with the overlay. Blasphemy, I know.
                  Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

I more or less agree with Dusty. The point of these overlays is to bring something new for the holidays and in that sense I think doing something new on a different attraction would really bring people out to see it. HMH is getting a little old, especially because it lasts so long each year. The line may be long, but it's mostly what Data said, a kind of fear of never being sure this might be your last chance to see it. I can't really believe it's bringing people to the park alone anymore in the way Ghost Galaxy did or another new experience could. If they advertised that it's the last year next year, that alone would bring huge crowds. Then if they add a new holiday overlay the following year, they basically would have a simple plan for having busy holiday seasons for the next several years.

Comment

I am not much a fan of the NBC movie, just casual. Sometimes I would like to see the Haunted Mansion Holiday go. I rode it several times (even this year) and I was still disappointing, because it will beat the original Haunted Mansion theme. Always a long line! Because NBC and Tim Burton is Oh-so popular! I heard that some new Disneyland fans and non-fans think HMH is better! Bah!! I always loved the original Haunted Mansion, I will never get tired of it riding multiple times. HMH has a slightly low-reride value to me. Sure you can't see everything happening in HMH, but after riding it again. I was meh.

Every time I see the Haunted Mansion closed for it's Holiday overlay in mid September and mid to late January. Sometimes I missed out on riding the Haunted Mansion on those months. When I go to Disneyland, it only happened to me twice! The Haunted Mansion was still closed in Jan 28, 2006 at that time when I want. It said HM will be opened in Feb. 6 or something. So, for HM fans, never go to Disneyland on mid September and mid-late January, because the Haunted Mansion is still closed as it is going back to it's original setting and theme.

The Haunted Mansion Holiday is getting old. It's still good with it's flashy bright holiday colors and the catchy 'Scary Christmas' song. But, I think some scenes are too bright for the Haunted Mansion. Both daytime and nighttime, it's meant to be that way, but still bright.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                      Save
                      Sav

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post

that's because its a draw. they need more decorations outside of the mansion and more talking characters. overall, its an awesome holiday mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                          Wow a haunted Jungle Cruise? That actually sounds really good! I'm gonna think through this one!
                          I can see it now >=3....zombie explorers burst from the river's murk,which for this occasion has turned a bubbling inky black.They take the skipper back to the water with them. The passengers now slowly drift into the unknown of the Jungle Crypt.....alone!:unsure:

As for HMH, Jack & company won't vacate the mansion until they have their own place, their own ride. And I doubt that will happen, yet I pray it will!:beg:
                          Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
                          Think of it as a third arm that magically
                          shoots bullets!

Comment

I don't have a huge problem with HMH. I think it's a good change for the holiday season. However, it's only good to ride it once or twice, unlike HM where I could ride it all day.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

I wouldn't mind losing the overlay as I have never thought it really added that much to the attraction. However, I can't remember the last time I've seen a longer line for that thing during Thanksgiving week. The queue went out the gate, and snaked back about four or five times out by the fast pass machines. It may have only been 40 minutes or so, but it surprised me that it was this long before noon.

If this many people are turning out with the motivation to see something "different" if they've never seen the overlay before, they'll probably keep it around for a long, long time.

Comment

I think it's a tradition of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay to change the Haunted Mansion every holiday year. Same for it's a small world Holiday overlay.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                                Save
                                Sav

Comment

HMH is still a great thing for DL. And I enjoy it, and the variety it provides through the year. I'm not a BIG fan of the movie Nightmare before Christmas, but it ties into the Haunted Mansion Beautifully. One of the VERY FEW successes during the Paul Pressler years.
                                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Nooo way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the overlay!!!!!!!!!! I like it better than the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

Comment

I love the Haunted Mansion holiday overlay, I look forward to it every year, in fact the movie behind the attraction... Nightmare Before Christmas... is one of my favorite Halloween/Christmas movies. If you ask me, don't remove it but add onto it, even if it's something small. Keep the layout for the rooms the same but add something different each year to keep it fresh... like for example add something new then add something new the following year and keep doing that each and every year, weather the new addition be to the inside or the quene line
                                      Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                                        Have low level fog over the water, replace some of the gags with scarier attractions.

Only do the show at night. haha yes!

Loving Disney Since 2006!
                                        Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X