Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monorail Route

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Idea] Monorail Route

    OK here is my idea on a Monorail Route
    The Route basically takes you South and East of Disneyland.
    Traveling centerline of freeways if possible, or above railroads.
    Is this too many stations?:
    • Disneyland Mickey & Friends
    • Honda Center (Pond)
    • Anaheim Stadium
    • MainPlace
    • Irvine Metrolink
    • Irvine Spectrum
    • UCI
    • John Wayne
    • Marine Corps Air Station Tustin (whatever they put there)
    • Block @ Orange
    • Third Gate Station

    Possible Santa Ana civic center and Train Station

    ?

  • #2
    Re: Monorail Route

    Is this what you want for the Disneyland Monorail or the line that the City of Anaheim is considering building?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Monorail Route

      Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
      Is this what you want for the Disneyland Monorail or the line that the City of Anaheim is considering building?
      I didn't know the City of Anaheim had any considerations.
      I don't think that it could really connect with the park Monorail.
      Each city with a station could chip in a portion.
      Maybe the Disney company can bring cities together?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Monorail Route

        Originally posted by Jetlife View Post
        I didn't know the City of Anaheim had any considerations.
        I don't think that it could really connect with the park Monorail.
        Each city with a station could chip in a portion.
        Maybe the Disney company can bring cities together?
        I don't think most of those cities wants a monorail going through them. Especially Irvine -- that is some prime real estate that it would be going through. And I find it highly unlikely that its citizens want a monrail going through their nieghborhoods.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Monorail Route

          what do you think this is... Disney World?!

          on a more series note, it could follow the freeway so it wouldn't impact any neighborhoods

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Monorail Route

            Now you have to get Nation, State Four or five city Work and pay for Building Monorail,

            11 station
            10 monorail train
            track cost about 1 million per mile.

            good luck State city and Disney

            Think How long is take to get 200 MPH train in the state and to Las vegas. 10-15 year and counting.
            Last edited by akfandisney; 11-26-2009, 12:52 PM.




            Toy Story Mania construction:
            Older photo
            New Photo

            Member of
            MiceChat WDW Trip
            Next trip
            2014 Dec, 31

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Monorail Route

              This would be intelligent and help to create jobs.

              That's why it will NEVER happen.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Monorail Route

                Great idea, but I don't see it as a big possibility. With all the stupid laws CA has, it'd be hard to get it done the right way. Plus, the monorail is a DISNEY thing, and even @ WDW, it connects all the stuff. This is just another transportation option that connects all the outside stuff. I say keep the monorail as-is, and don't add it to anything outside the property. If anything, make a station for DCA.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Monorail Route

                  Standard track costs that much, but stations cost millions more, and anything like a track switch and the system and trains to run it costs way way more. Vancouver Canada is having a hard time finishing their "skytrain" which isnt even a monorial due to the huge expense.

                  For now on this style of route, I think busses will remain the cheapest and most efficient form of travel because different municipalities dont have to fight over the routes, they can stop whenever, and they need no major infrastructure upgrades. Monorails are effective at passing large amounts of people over long distances of conjestion, between few stations. The more a monorail has to slow and stop, the less of an advantage it is to "fly" over the traffic below. This is why the Disneyworld Monorail system is so "good" (or could be with a few upgrades).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Monorail Route

                    Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                    This is why the Disneyworld Monorail system is so "good" (or could be with a few upgrades).
                    new monorails...perhaps?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Monorail Route

                      Love your enthusiasm and ideas.

                      Unfortunately .... Orange County is one of the most backward places in the world .. when it comes to mass transit systems.

                      There have been proposals for light rail, or monorail, or peoplemover ideas going on 4 decades.

                      The constant alignment (right of way) issues .. the ENDLESS red tape .... makes me sad how O.C. in the early 21st Century is still totally reliant on the automobile. (Buses, the one single rail - Metrolink ... both poor excuses for a region of 17 million people!)
                      MY SIGNATURE:
                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Monorail Route

                        Originally posted by MainSreetJake View Post
                        new monorails...perhaps?
                        As someone with extremely limited knowledge of the system it seems like the computer system and track switching system is the main problem with it. Of course what comes to mind is the accident. Having a system were computer overrides are necessary seems weird to me in this age of technological "everything." Aside from that, an Animal Kingdom loop and a Downtown Disney extension of the Epcot line would really make it a much more comprehensive system.

                        That being said, I think that the monorail at Disneyland will become a much larger factor when and if the third gate opens as getting people safely over the street and moving them that distance will be a much greater challenge. Limits on the resorts current track size, and corresponding train size mean to me that another loop is the best way to go if a monorail connection is chosen.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Monorail Route

                          If you want to see what's being planned and a bunch of discussion of mass transit in the region check out this thread: http://micechat.com/forums/so-cal-tr...resort-12.html

                          The Anaheim Fixed Guideway will hopefully create a Monorail or People Mover from ARTIC, which is east of the parks near the stadiums and will become a major regional transportation center connecting many transit options, eventually hopefully high speed rail and Maglev. There will be one station near Pumbaa lot and Gardenwalk and another stop near the Convention Center and one midway in the Platinum Triangle. Disney will still need to devise a way to get guests from those locations and around the rest of the resort. Hopefully at minimum a good system of pedestrian walkways and bridges. I don't think there are any other big plans for OC, but Villaraigosa is pursuing many lightrail and subway projects in LA.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Monorail Route

                            Back in the day it was a million a mile but I thought I heard it was a couple million (5ish?) per mile now a days. Thats just way too much track to build and really people should ride existing transit systems. Metrolink is already there so use it and if they don't get you there ride the busses.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Monorail Route

                              Originally posted by akfandisney View Post
                              track cost about 1 million per mile.
                              the Las Vagas system cost $88 Million/mile in 2004.

                              How much does Monorail cost?

                              I seem to recall something about the John Wayne Ariport being planned with space for a station and track routing if a monorail or people mover system was ever built.
                              Last edited by gary94080; 11-26-2009, 11:30 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Monorail Route

                                Originally posted by Jetlife View Post
                                OK here is my idea on a Monorail Route
                                The Route basically takes you South and East of Disneyland.
                                Traveling centerline of freeways if possible, or above railroads.

                                Is this too many stations?:
                                If Disney the City, County, State and maybe the Fed got together, this could happen, but it won't.

                                And yes that is to many stations, you would have to have either, a double sided track running in both directions or atleast 3 smaller connected loops.

                                Either way the price tag would be in the billions.
                                Originally posted by Jetlife View Post
                                • Disneyland Mickey & Friends
                                • Honda Center (Pond)
                                • Anaheim Stadium
                                • MainPlace
                                • Irvine Metrolink
                                • Irvine Spectrum
                                • UCI
                                • John Wayne
                                • Marine Corps Air Station Tustin (whatever they put there)
                                • Block @ Orange
                                • Third Gate Station
                                Possible Santa Ana civic center and Train Station
                                Man, If that were the route, it would take an hour just to get to the new park!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Monorail Route

                                  Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                  As someone with extremely limited knowledge of the system it seems like the computer system and track switching system is the main problem with it.
                                  There was a proposal in the late 1970s to extend the Monorail to a couple of other parts of Anaheim, taking it from a "bicameral" transportation system (in the park and to the hotel) into tricameral (park, hotel and local). The idea was that Disneyland parking would be moved to lots located a couple of miles away, AND the Monorail would connect to the Amtrak station. Remember, this was the Carter era, when gas prices tripled in a 20-day period and when everyone was expecting to be actually USING Amtrak . . .

                                  Some trains would be express-to-park, others would be used for normal commutes, flying riders from Amtrak to the "business center" of Anaheim (yeah, I know, so don't laugh).

                                  This ambitious plan died when the Anaheim fire chief mentioned that, in order to provide mandated-level fire, EMS and evacuation to such a system, he would need some more snorkel trucks.

                                  Like about THIRTY of them.

                                  At about half a million (1978) dollars.

                                  EACH.

                                  Not long after the City Council meeting where that news was given, the artists' rendition scenes of Anaheim with the Monorail started to disappear from City Hall . . .

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Monorail Route

                                    Originally posted by WALL-E View Post
                                    There was a proposal in the late 1970s to extend the Monorail to a couple of other parts of Anaheim, taking it from a "bicameral" transportation system (in the park and to the hotel) into tricameral (park, hotel and local). The idea was that Disneyland parking would be moved to lots located a couple of miles away, AND the Monorail would connect to the Amtrak station. Remember, this was the Carter era, when gas prices tripled in a 20-day period and when everyone was expecting to be actually USING Amtrak . . .

                                    Some trains would be express-to-park, others would be used for normal commutes, flying riders from Amtrak to the "business center" of Anaheim (yeah, I know, so don't laugh).

                                    This ambitious plan died when the Anaheim fire chief mentioned that, in order to provide mandated-level fire, EMS and evacuation to such a system, he would need some more snorkel trucks.

                                    Like about THIRTY of them.

                                    At about half a million (1978) dollars.

                                    EACH.

                                    Not long after the City Council meeting where that news was given, the artists' rendition scenes of Anaheim with the Monorail started to disappear from City Hall . . .
                                    What a deal! Today Penticton (a city you will never hear of; aka my hometown) Bough trucks for just over 6 million.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Monorail Route

                                      Originally posted by Fantasmanatic View Post
                                      Back in the day it was a million a mile but I thought I heard it was a couple million (5ish?) per mile now a days. Thats just way too much track to build and really people should ride existing transit systems. Metrolink is already there so use it and if they don't get you there ride the busses.
                                      Insufficient!

                                      There will come a day when OC needs to get it's head out of the dark ages.

                                      Till then ..... people have to deal with overcrowded freeways.
                                      MY SIGNATURE:
                                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Monorail Route

                                        Add the Huntington Beach pier and you've got a deal.
                                        Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



                                        Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                                        Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X